Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Good morning all. First one out of the bag this fine morning is Furlong, Thomas. Mothers name name is different in pension cards, and number changes and I cannot find his records, can you help please?

image.png.19bf16806a836b987d21864c23d4ede4.pngimage.png.258a04d29e598a730781dca239939ad2.png, 3266. I

image.png.bbc2271deec8f5222b8498fdc4cc05f0.pngt is just not jelling, mothers

image.png.d1d30fa4e465a10d2f415871f3dcf3d0.png

Edited by museumtom

On the ball Skip, thank you kindly, it gives us more of a mystery. D.O.D. different and Kerr died at King George V Hospital-accidental death due to fracture of the base of skull with laceration of the brain and haemorrhage caused by falling from a turnstile opposite Baggot's Public House.

You nearly had me there for a minute...

Edited by museumtom

Good afternoon Jrmh.

I was on to Terry and says he knows nothing about Frank Curran. I had asked you if you put him forward without a reply.

So I sent on the relevant items to Terry and he was accepted.

Edited by museumtom

I looked at Thomas Furlong some time ago but he had me stumped as well. I can tell you that he died age 31 at Park Hill Sanatorium, Liverpool, and that he was buried at Ford Roman Catholic Cemetery. Unfortunately his grave is unmarked. I've added him to Find-a-Grave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/269350288/thomas-furlong

1921 census shows Mary Fitzsimmons at 23 Blackfield Street. She was the wife of Matthew Fitzsimmons, but her age was given as 41 which seems a bit young for the mother of Thomas. The marriage of Mary Furlong and Matthew Fitzsimmons was registered in 1916 at St Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church, Liverpool.

engl-56170_282-alp-2-2_m_00080.jpg.329c53db76975e75550a92febd0ff841.jpg

(Source: Ancestry)

For William Doyle I've turned up this entry in the Effects Register, number mistranscribed on Ancestry as 45451:

42511_6117462_0187-00177.jpg.a1ebd9a0a874f142ec9f4b64d13589a9.jpg

(Source: Ancestry)

Death registered at Whitchurch, age 26.

Edited by PaulC78

14 hours ago, museumtom said:

Furlong, Thomas. Mothers name name is different in pension cards, and number changes and I cannot find his records, can you help please?

image.png.19bf16806a836b987d21864c23d4ede4.png

2714107 is seven digits long = a post-war Army Number = Records likely to still be with the MoD en-route to TNA

M

Thank you Paul and Matlock. I can now update him with you finds. Great work and thank you!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Well done Paul for adding him to Findagrave, thank you. You cleared up the Fitzsimmons/Furlong mystery too!

Edited by museumtom

Hello all. Try as I might I cannot get to the pay page for a DC in England. Can anyone help please? Perhaps it is because I am in Ireland.

I get this far, and cannot get beyond it. If someone could access the dc I would be most happy to repay by paypal. I need it for application to In from The Cold. Died after discharge at the Royal Naval Hospital, Yarmouth. Discharged with Insanity dementia Paralytica attributable to war service on 11/07/1919. Should the person who finds the DC, and he qualifies he may put him forward himself as a thank you as well.

image.png.43bfe0cd7ca6c17fad97b5ab51c2fdec.png

I keep getting this.

image.png.c4efd81e9278415f4b84a73ebd2cd17e.png

Forum Pal CLANCY is organizing the image for me, thank you Clancy!

Hi Tom

As I mentioned in PM, couldn't figure out how to send it kept coming up with error message.  So the image is from GRO, and I don't need credit.  Hopefully this clip is okay let me know it it isn't and we will figure something out.  Regards, Clancy

image.png.65066ff90bbf274d271a6a1f5081a1de.png

Good result Tom

Than you Clancy. I will PM you the links and Terry email and you can send it to him. He does look good to go Clancy. 

Yes George, I do not know why I cannot get to the final page, story of my life that....

I have sent the relevant images and urls to Clancy to put him forward to I.F.C.P., Go for it Clancy!!.....and now.......we wait.,.

Clancy has put him forward thank you Clancy!!..and now we wait...

William Ashton has just been accepted! Well done Clancy!

Awaiting Adjudication page-

image.png.26b1cee225b4b5001a2b758ccb19919a.png

Hello!

I have just read the email from Terry (that was quick) and saw your post - it really is so good to know that William Ashton has made the list!  I did go to the IFTC website, and it is so interesting and the amount of research that is happening is a credit to the volunteers.  However, just to be clear this is your work Tom and I thank you for the opportunity to be part of this process:)

Kind regards, Clancy

Thank you Clancy, it was not possible without your help old son. The G.R.O. does not like me it seems.

Onward with the next poor soul.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Awaiting Adjudication page

That's a different William Ashton! The list hasn't been updated since Sunday.

Correct and right, it is a different one, our lad should be added soon. 

On the ball Paul, thank you for keeping us on the straight and narrow.....mutter....mutter...mutter.

On 09/01/2018 at 23:37, museumtom said:

Hello again, it me, 'scourge' as me Ma used to call me. I am trying with great un-success to find the date of death of John Lawton, of Rhode Island, who died of wounds during the great war fighting with the Americans. I dont even know what unit to look for, but I would be very grateful indeed if I could just find his date of death.

The U.S. research is particularly difficult and I appreciate anything you can come up with regarding his date of death.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Tom 

I can tell you the full story of John Lawton as I am his Grand Nephew and I have 80% of the surviving records ..... 

John was born on 1st August 1887 in Sleveen, Castlemartyr, Co Cork

He left Youghal in 1912 to follow his 2 sisters to USA in 1912..... One of which died in 1909 RIP

Was enlisted in early 1918 to the US Army and arrived in France early May 1918

Wounded in battle with MG Company of the 325th Infantry regiment on the Sommerance road SE of St Juvin on 11th October 1918 and died of wounds on 15th Oct 1918. 

He was originally buried at a US cemetery in France but upon request of my Great grandparents his remains were returned to Ireland for Burial in Youghal in November 1921 ..... On the family Plot headstone there was never any mention of his correct DOD or service but that has now been rectified by his Grand Nephews & Nieces .... 

The subject was never spoken about within the family generations before ours but I as a Veteran myself feel rights have to be done.

We think that John enlisted in the latter stages of the War due to the fact that his Brother James had been KIA in Feb 1917 serving with the MGC and is buried in France 

500.jpg

44509_3421606198_0039-00207.jpg

Letter regarding FINAL burial of remains dated June 24 1921.jpg