Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Sandra wrote:

Could you please let me know if you have any details about my great great uncle Ernest William Beart. Ernest was born 15 October 1890 and attended Kings College chapel choir Cambridge from approximately 1901 to 1906.

Sandra: I have checked A Register of Admissions to King's College, Cambridge 1797-1925

and can find no one by the name Beart.

Regards. Dick

With those dates, he was at this institution aged 11-16 years, so this was more likely King's College School, Cambridge - i.e. the college's choir school rather than King's College itself.

Rather a cold thread, but perhaps still worth another look?

Hello Dick,

MBrockway et al, suggested you may be able to help me find out if my Great Grand Uncle's name is within any of the many public school/school and university honor/memorial rolls you have collected.

I'm trying to find out which "Public School" or "University" etc he went to prior to the war. Anyone in the family who would have known died 20 years ago.

The only leads I have are a hand written note and rubber stamp imprint on an RNVR enrollment document. The hand written note says: "Kings Coll: Sch: (sic)". The rubber stamp imprint says: " P.S. Bn". (See below) One of his other service records/documents also has the entry "Former Public Schools Battalion".

post-95984-0-84139200-1389640096_thumb.j

I think "Kings Coll: Sch:" is short for "King's College School" and is most likely "KCS Wimbledon".

He may be listed as either "Thomas Francis" or as "David Francis".

His full name is actually "Thomas David Francis". Why he enrolled in the RNVR as "David Francis" I do not yet know.

His DOB is 23 Feb, 1890. KIA/Missing 13 Nov 1916. Sub Lt. RNVR, MiD, Nelson Bn, RND.

I'm guessing he went to this school sometime between 1900 and 1910?

If you have the spare time etc, I'd be grateful for any assistance you could provide me.

Thank you,

Thomas

A request for Dick Flory:

I am trying to trace the career path of Lt-Colonel John Ernest Charles James Cochrane, DSO, RA, who commanded 277 Army Brigade RFA between 1916 and 1918. I have his entry from 'Who was Who' which shows an interesting life including service in South Africa and with the ASC (MT)..

I also have three London Gazette entries: commissioned as 2nd Lieut in 3rd Brigade, Northern Irish Division, Militia, RA in 1887; his DSO in 1901 ( for operations in Ashanti), when he was of the Donegal Artillery; his transfer to the Reserve of Officers in 1908 from the Donegal (Prince of Wales's) RGA Militia.

He died in Switzerland on 18 March 1938.

I should be grateful if you could add any more to this skeleton biography.

EDIT to add: he was at Sherborne School before TCD.

Daggers

Colonel John Ernest Charles James Cochrane, DSO, RFA Res. of Officers

Born 15 April 1870, the eldest son of John Cochrane of Lifford, Ireland

Educated at Sherborne School from Third Term, 1884 to 1886 and at Trinity College, Dublin (BA, 1893; FRGS; MIME)

Member of the Institute of Automobile Engineers

Served in the Gold Coast Expedition with the Lagos Hausa Force,1896-98 (medal and clasp)

Joined the Donegal Artillery (Militia) on 16 November 1895

Honourary Major, Donegal Militia, November 1900

Took part in the Ashanti War and was present at the defence of Kumassi, 1900 (DSO, MiD, wounded)

Retired on 7 November 1900

Presented with the DSO by the King at Marlborough House on 16 April 1901

Served in the South African War 1901-1902 as Adjutant, Imperial Yeomanry

In 1903 served with Mechanical Transport, Army Service Corps

Reserve of Officers, 1905

Major, RFA, 1914

Temp. Lt Col, RFA, 1915

During the Great War was Officer Commanding, Ammunition Column, New Zealand Artillery.

Served at Gallipoli in 1915 and in France from 1916-1918

Retired as a Colonel

Later JP for Hants

Died in 1938

Sources: Old Shirburnian Navy & Army List 1914-1919; The Sherborne Register, Fourth Edition, 1550-1950; University of Dublin, Trinity College, War List, 1922; The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923.

Thomas: There is a school register for King's College School but unfortunately I have not been able to find a copy.

Thomas: There is a school register for King's College School but unfortunately I have not been able to find a copy.

Dick,

Thanks just the same :-)

Do you have any suggestions for finding a King's College School school register? Since we both have "vested" interest, perhaps I could assist you in finding one?

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas: See my reply to your earlier Personal Conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick

I am not sure if you have the register for Westminster School but if so I am after any details for Gordon Stewart Ness who I would guess arrived at the school circa 1898. He went on to Clare College Cambridge in 1904 according to what I have found so far.

Thanks again John

Gordon Stuart Ness

Born: 14 Nov 86, the youngest son of Patrick Ness of Braco Castle, Perthshire and Charlotte Jane Wells, the daughter of Stephen Powell'

Educated at Westminster School from 27 Sept 1900 to July 1902 and at Clare College, Cambridge from Michaelmas, 1904.

2nd Lieut., 4th (Volunteer) Batt., The Black Watch, 28 May 1904

2nd Lieut., 3rd Batt., Royal Scots Fusiliers, 7 April 1906

Lieut., 9 Dec 1909

Attached to 1st Battalion

Went out to the Western Front on 11 Sept 1914

Killed in action at Ypres on 10 Nov 1914

Married Gladys, daughter of C E Gwynne Harrison

Source: A Record of Old Westminsters, Volume III, 1964.

• 2 weeks later...

2nd Lieut. Wilfred S. Haddock died of wounds in 1917 serving with 9th South Lancs in Salonika but his MIC shows former service, pre-commissioning, with Royal Fusiliers. His number as a private was PS/8741 which I presume means he was in a Public Schools battalion (18th to 21st).

If this, in turn, means he was at a public school, is there any way of establishing which one he attended?

Any clues would be welcome.

Daggers

I have checked the registers I have for public schools in Lancashire and could not find him. As he was born in Widnes I wonder if he might have attended Widnes Higher Grade School or Farnworth Grammar School? Unfortunately I don't have anything on either school.

Dick Flory

Seeing mention of the "PS/" prefix for Public Schools Battalion, has anyone used Geoffs Search Engine to search for all PS/***** Service Numbers?

There are 543 such records. I realise that a great proportion of ex public school pupils will have been streamed for a commission and thus not have a Service Number, but it might produce Names that do fit with existing public school records you may hold.....

Just a thought, I realise you have been working on this for many years, so I'm a "Johnny Come Lately" and you've probably already had such an idea, but I had to suggest it, in case!

Hi Dick,

Could I please request a look up for another Rugbeian from the same memorial as my last request.

He is Hugh Francis Russell Smith, 2/Lt. 1st Bn. Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own), d.o.w., 5/7/16 (att. 6th Btn.)

Born 1887. I understand he was a close friend of Rupert Brooke.

Many thanks,

Martin

Good morning, Dick.

2lt Frew Ferguson Evans, 8th Bn. attached to the 4th Bn, South Wales Borderers died in Iraq Feb. 13, 1917 aged 21. His parents lived at Wyndcode, Minehead, Somerset and I think he probably attended Clifton College. The London Gazette lists him and other cadets of the Officers Training Corps to be temporary Second Lieutenants dated 11th January 1915. I appreciate your assistance and send my best wishes. Jim

Martin wrote

He is Hugh Francis Russell Smith, 2/Lt. 1st Bn. Rifle Brigade

Captain Hugh Francis Russell-Smith

Born on 11 August 1887, the second son of Henry Russell-Smith of Heathside, Potter's Bar, Hertfordshire

Educated at Rugby School from 1901 to 1906

Then received Classical Scholarship to St. John's College, Cambridge (Second in Part I, Classical Tripos, 1909; First in Part II of Historical Tripos, 1910; won the Winchester Reading Prize and the Thirlwall Prize for a dissertation on 'The Theory of Religious Liberty in the Reigns of Charles II and James II'.

Elected as Allen Scholar and Fellow of St. John's and appointed a Lecturer on Political Science

In 1913 wrote 'Harrington and his Oceana.'

Instructor, Training School for Officers, Pembroke College, 1915

Commissioned into the 6th Bn, The Rifle Brigade in April 1915

Went to France attached to the 1st Bn, The Rifle Brigade in October 1915

On 1 July 1916 he was seriously wounded during the attack on Beaumont Hamel and died in hospital on 5 July 1916.

He was a close friend of Rupert Brooke at Rugby and Cambridge and wrote a notice of him in the Meteor on 28 May 1915.

He was married to Dorothy Willett, the daughter of Dr. Tait of Highbury in 1914 and they had one son, Roy Sabine, born 1 July 1915.

The photo of him is from the first-named source.

Sources: Memorials to Rugeians Who Fell in the Great War, volume III; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Register of Twentieth-Century Johnians, St John's College, Cambridge, Volume I, 1900-1949.

post-765-0-82727400-1393181599_thumb.jpg

Jim wrote: "2lt Frew Ferguson Evans, 8th Bn. attached to the 4th Bn, South Wales Borderers"

Not much on him in the Clifton College Register:

Evans, Frew Ferguson

Born 3 August 1895

Educated at Clifton College from September 1909 to 1912

2nd Lieut., 8th Bn, South Wales Borderers

Killed in action, 1917

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I wonder if you could look up, as part of my research into the War Memorial at Sevenoaks, Clayton Howard de Vine (sometimes Devine)? He was a pupil at Oundle in 1911, his obituary says that he was also at Wellington College but I'm not sure whether this was before or after Oundle. Very grateful for any information you may be able to find.

Thanks

Matt

Lieutenant Clayton Howard de Vine, Canadian Army

Born on 23 Sept 1884, the youngest son of Captain John de Vine, ASC and Mrs. de Vine of Sevenoaks, Kent.

Educated at Oundle from May 1900 to December 1902

At times played for the XI and XV and was prominent on the river.

Before the war was in Canada.

Enlisted at Calgary in 1915 and arrived at Bramshott Camp in Fall 1915.

Went to France in August 1916 with 50th Battalion, Canadian Infantry.

Took part in operations on the Somme (commissioned in the field), Messines, Albert and Vimy Ridge.

Twice mentioned in despatches.

Killed in action leading his men in an attack on the enemy trenches on 3 June 1917 at Avion, Souchez.

The photo is from the first-named source.

Sources: Oundle Memorials of the Great War: Cross of Sacrifice, Volume III.

de Vine.tif