Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

David,

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good idea, I will certainly give it a try.

Knid Regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Dick,

May I please ask if you may have the Charterhouse Register, and could you kindly see what's there for this man:

Lieut. C. M. PITTS-TUCKER

1st Bn. Highland Light Infantry

Does the entry include a photograph?

He was also at RMC Sandhurst, do they have a book?

Thank you,

David

David: I think that I have answered all these questions on the British Medal Forum but if not please feel free to contact me. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick!

My name is jeff Girod,

and I am having trouble locating a school roll of honor.

If you have the time or could point me in the right direction I am most grateful.

I have tried the school itself (after it was moved during WWII to a different location) as well as the town. ---not to much luck....

STATS

Milton Gordon Girod

born: Dec 1892 Leeds

attended Seaford College in Seaford, Sussex, about 1910-ish

Death 19 Mar 1916 in Abu Gandir, Faiyum, Egypt

3rd Battalion-Cheshire Regiment-Special Reserves,

assigned to the Royal Air Corps 5th Wing- 17th Squadron.- Ranked as an Observer.

I am writing a book on the Girods and hope to bring Milton and his Brothers Memory into the book.

Im not sure, ive heard about the "Sphere"and other places to learn more. still new to all this.

Thank you for your time and efforts :thumbsup:

jeff

Jeff: Unfortunately I have nothing on Seaford College and am not aware that they published a roll of honour. Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

An incredibly long shot, but do you have anything on St Dunstan's Road School, Hammersmith (later renamed Captain Marryat School)? Looking for:

George H Peake (Suffolk Regiment) - b. 28 Jun 1881, d. 6 May 1917

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris: Unfortunately I have nothing on that school. Regards, Dick Flory

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Frederick ("Reg") Moore, the son of the landlord of the Fleece Hotel in Witney, who died in Ducklington in 1917 and is commemorated on Witney War Memorial, has been confused with 2nd Lt Reginald Moore of the RFA. As far as we know, the latter Reginald Moore has no connection with Ducklington. The wrong name has thus been added to Ducklngton war memorial.

I had a look at the Ducklington war memorial on Wednesday, and it appears that the names that have been added, one of whom is clearly the wrong man, have been applied in such a way that the mistake could be corrected - the "2nd Lt" and "RFC" elements could be removed, and there would then be no problem.

Dick,

Sorry to trouble you but wonder whether you have anything on Bedford School and, if so, is it possible to confirm whether 2nd Lt Howard Frank Byrne Cooper, A Company, 1st Kings Own Scottish Borderers, killed 1st July 1916, was at the school. Only thing that makes me think it is possible is that an H. F. B. Cooper, Bedford School, won a Bronze Medal in the RSPB's 1912 Public School essay competition (Junior section) for a piece entitled "Birds observed in Bedfordshire". As 2nd Lt Cooper was 19 when he died the ages seem to match up. Long shot but you never know.

regards

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick, I am looking for anything on a Lieutenant William.G.Edomstone 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards. He was educated in St.Peters Court School and then at Eton College before enlisting in 1915.

cheers Rab

Bill: Sorry, only have the WWII roll of honour for Bedford School. Dick Flory

BibRab wrote:

I am looking for anything on a Lieutenant William.G.Edomstone 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards. He was educated in St.Peters Court School and then at Eton College.

Lieut. William George Edomstone

Eldest son of Sir A Edomstone, CVO, 5th Baronet, of 12 Hyde Park

Educated at Eton School from 1910 to 1915

When he 'came at Mr Broke's in Sept 1910 he was a tall, frail-looking boy, and for a time he seemed hardly strong enough for life at Eton. Yet he soon grew and gained in vigour, and became something of an athlete.'

House colours, 1913; Field and Wall Choices in 1914

Joined the Coldstream Guards in Easter 1915 and was at Windsor Barracks for four or five months.

Served as Lieut. Coldstream Guards in France from autumn 1915

Mentioned in Despatches

Killeld in action at Ginchey on 15 Sept 1916. 'He was hit in the great attack of 16-17, leading his company, by a shell which burst between him and one of his sergeants, killing both instantaneously.'

Sources: The Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909 to 1919; Eton College Chronicle, 12 October 1916.

Thanks for that Dick. The Edmonstone family will be grateful for that. I was able to tell them where and what time of day he was killed,from the Coldstreams War Diary but not how he died.

Any Etonians able to explain what " House colours, 1913; Field and Wall Choices in 1914" are awarded for.

• 3 weeks later...

Dick,

I wonder if you wouldn't mind checking if you have anything on:

William Fleming Peebles- 2nd/Lt MGC KIA 30/4/17 attended Clifton and Balliol College

Alexander Douglas Cruickshank- 2nd/Lt MGC KIA 23/10/18 attended Royal High School, Edinburgh

Many thanks

Michael

Michael: Here is what I have on Lt. Peebles and Cruickshank:

2nd Lieut. William Fleming Peebles

Born on 9 Dec 1885, the son of J. H. Peebles of Glasgow and Madras

Educated at Clifton College from April 1898 to July 1903 and at Balliol College, Oxford from 1904 to 1905

Before the war he was employed by Arbuthnot & Co., Madras, India

Took leave from his business and enlisted in the Glasgow Yeomanry in Sept 1914

2nd Lieut., 10th Bn, The Border Regt in Jan 1915

Later attached as MGC officer to the Wiltshire Regt. and served at Gallipoli, in Egypt, Mesopotamia; and in France in 1917

Killed near Ypres on 30 April 1917

His brother, John Haughton Peebles, was also educated at Balliol College and Glasgow Academy and Clifton.

His photo is from the third mentioned source.

Sources: Balliol College Register 1833-1933: Clifton College Register 1862-1925; Balliol College War Memorial Memorial Book, Vol. II.

2nd Lieut. Douglas Cruickshank

Educated at Royal High School, Edinburgh, 1898

Trooper, Glasgow Queen's Own Royal Yeomanry in August 1914

Later 2nd Lieutenant, MGC

Served in Gallipoli, Egypt, and Palestine.

Killed in action on 23 October 1918

Awarded Military Cross

Source: Roll of Honour of the Royal High School, Edinburgh 1914-1918.

Photo of 2Lt W F Peebles

post-765-0-48884200-1339447597_thumb.jpe

post-765-0-72972600-1339447684_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Thankyou very much indeed for taking the time to look this up for me. That is very useful information indeed, especially the pictures!

You have been a great help again

Best wishes

Michael

Just for interest, a neswpaper article provides the citation for the above Douglas Cruickshank's MC:

“for conspicuous courage and devotion to duty during the fighting near Le Catelet on the 4th October 1918. On one occasion, finding a company of infantry under the command of a sergeant unable to get forward, he brought up two machine guns under very heavy fire and enabled them to get forward. On seeing them again held up he at once went forward and took command, organising them on a defensive line. On a later occasion, when occupying with his guns a very forward position, he observed the infantry on his flanks withdrawing. He remained in position in order to cover their withdrawal, and, though shot through the arm, held onto his post until the infantry had taken up a position in rear, when he skilfully brought back his guns into the new line. Throughout the operations he did extremely good work, and remained at duty in spite of his wound.”

Strange his roll of honour entry doesn't state service in France, which is where he was killed

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Dick Flory

Could you possibly look up 2/Lt John BALKWILL - 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, please, in "The War Record of the Northern Assurance Co. Ltd. 1914-1918.

Many thanks - Maricourt

For information pending Dick's response:

2nd Lt John Balkwill, 1/6th Royal Warwickshire Regt., was aged 33. He was the son of Francis and Mary Vince Balkwill of Forest Hill, London. Educated at St Dunstan’s College, he worked for the Northern Assurance Company Ltd, Birmingham. He was a member of Catford Bridge Football Club. A corporal, he was commissioned on 19th September 1915. He is buried in Pargny British Cemetery, grave III. E. 36. His younger brother. 2nd Lt Charles Vince Balkwill, 1/5th London Regt. (London Rifle Brigade) was also killed on 1st July 1916 in the attack on Gommecourt.

Their father was a foreign fruit merchant and they lived at 6, Garlies Road, Forest Hill.

BTW I have a load more on his younger brother Charles. They are also both in the St Dunstan's College Roll of Honour.

From The War Record of the Northern Assurance Co. Ltd 1914-1918:

2nd Lieut. John Balkwill

Entered the service of the company in the London office in May 1899.

Transferred to Birmingham as a surveyor in July, 1908

Volunteered for service in Sept. 1914 and attached o the 6th Royal Warwickshires in which he subsequently obtained a commission.

Went out with his regiment to France

Killed in action in the Somme advance on 1st July, 1916. Age 33.

Information additional to the above and to that posted by 'bmac' from St. Dunstan's College Roll of Honour 1914-19 by David W. Collett:

Educated privately by J. O. Boyes at 45 Houston Road, Forest Hill and went to St. Dunstan's in Sept. 1893 (Entrance Scholarship, Governor's Scholarship, School Prize, prizes for French and Science; Head Prefect 1898-99, Leaving Prize, Rugby 1st XV, Lacrosse 1st XII, Cricket 1st XI; Captain of Athletics; left in 1899).

Played Rugby for Catford Bridge "A" XV, 1899-1901; Committee of the Old Dunstonian Club, 1902-03 and 1908.

After moving to Birmingham he cricket for the Knowle Club in that city.

Cpl., London Regt., 1914

Commissioned into 6 Bn, R Warwicks on 8 Dec 1915

The photo is from the first-named source.

Dick Flory

post-765-0-23958800-1342050916_thumb.jpg

Dear Dick - Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to pass on information and a photograph of 2/Lt John Balkwill - very much appreciated and thank you for sharing your wonderful collection of memorial volumes.

Dear Bmac - Thank you so much for all the information you have supplied me with on 2/lt Balkwill. I would very much appreciate any information you have on his brother Charles - as you will know, sadly, they both lost their lives on the same day - 1st July, 1916.

Thank you both for your assistance with my research.

Regards ... Maricourt

2nd Lt Charles Vince Balkwill, 1st/5th Battalion, London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)

Died 1st July 1916, aged 31

Born on 17 April 1885.

Son of Francis Balkwill and Mary Vince Balkwill (nee Jeffrey). Francis was a foreign fruit merchant of 6 Garlies Road, Forest Hill. They had at least five children:

• Francis Balkwill (b. 1876)
  • Mary Emily Balkwill (b. 1877)
  • Thomas Jeffrey Balwill (b. 1880)
  • John Balkwill (b. 1883)
  • Charles Vince Balwill (b. 1885)

He was educated privately by Mr. J.O. Boyes at 45 Houston Road, Forest Hill, and arrived at St. Dunstan’s in September 1895. He won a School Prize for Latin in 1898 and later became a Prefect. However, it was in the field of sport that he made his mark, being one of the best School athletes of his generation. In Lacrosse, he was goalkeeper and coverpoint for the 2nd XII (1897-98) and won his Colours; he went on to the 1st XII (1899-1900) and was Captain of Lacrosse 1900-01. He was equally distinguished in Cricket, being in the 2nd XI (1898-99) and the 1st XI (1900). But perhaps he was most outstanding in Rugby, captaining the 2nd XV (1897), joining the 1st XV (1899) and being Captain of Rugby (1900-01). His all-round ability led to his election onto the Athletic Committee in 1899, and he became Chairman in 1900.

He left the School in April 1901 but continued a close association via Old Dunstonian sport; he was in the Old Dunstonian Cricket XI 1905-06, and in the Forest Hill Cricket Club 2nd XI 1905-08. His Rugby progressed quickly and he began playing for the Catford Bridge 1st XV in 1903, continuing for some years and becoming Vice-Captain by 1907. He was selected for the Kent County XV in 1903, and played as a forward for six seasons.

He was also a member of the Blackheath Harriers and took part in their Wednesday meetings to run as part of his Rugby training.

On the outbreak of War in 1914 he enlisted in the ranks of the 5th London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade). He went to France with the 1st Battalion of the unit in November 1914 and was promoted Sergeant in the following month. On 26th April 1915 he fought with his unit at Wieltje and Neuve Chapelle, during the battle of Ypres, and was severely wounded. He was invalided home with a shattered right shoulder, but his fitness and his stay at the London Hospital led to a good recovery and by the end of the year he was playing Rugby for his Regiment.

He underwent a course of officer training, and was commissioned into the 3rd Battalion of the 5th London Regiment on 8th December 1915. A few months later he was passed fit and joined the 1st Battalion in France on 27th May 1916. He was killed in the attack on Gommecourt.

Sources: Tony Sharp & David Collett & St. Dunstan's College Roll of Honour 1914-19 & The War Record of the Northern Assurance Co. Ltd 1914-1918, Pam and Ken Linge, The Thiepval Project.

Dear Bill

Many thanks for the additional information on 2/Lt Charles Vince Balkwill - very much appreciated.

I had a quick look in The Times archive and although I could not find an entry for either brother in Officer casualties there was an "In Memoriam" placed every 1st July up until 1926 to the brothers: "In loving and honoured memory of my two dearest pals Johnny and Charlie killed in action 1 July 1916 - LEWIS."

Regards ... Maricourt

Dear Dick,

I have been asked to try to identify a former scholar of Westminster School, London, who survived WW1.

Name A.A.Hall. Reputedly won the MC

From your rolls etc. can you help at all please?

Clive

Later: thanks for responding to this query via my other thread on this man. Much appreciated.

Clive

Edited by LST_164