Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hi Dick,

Please could I ask you to do a look up for me? I am looking for any information concerning Reginald Maw Pinder who I understand attended King Edward's School in Retford and then Leeds University.

He was 15 years of age when the the 1911 census was taken. He was then a 'boarder' and living at Martin House, London Road, Retfford.

I understand that he is listed on the Leeds University Roll of Honour and that he was in the OTC.

I would be interested to learn the dates he attended King Edwards and any other details of his school days. I would also be interested to learn what course he followed at university. I also need to find out when he was commissioned.

Many thanks,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Myrtle: I don't have anything on J S C Beard but WO 338 indicates that his papers are available at The National Archives. His long number is 175033. Regards, Dick Flory

Keith: I do not have anything on King Edward's School, Retford and the Leeds University Roll of Honour gives little information about him. Pinder was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on 29 August 1915 and promoted to Lieutenant on 2 June 1916. He served during the war as an Acting Captain in the 5th Bn, West Riding Regiment and was killed in action on 7 October 1917. He was the son of Dr and Mrs Pinder of Lee House, Horsforth, Yorkshire. His service papers are available at The National Archives under WO 374/54221.

Regards, Dick Flory

Mike: Sorry, but I have nothing on Carre's Grammar School, Sleaford, Lincolnshire. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick, thanks for the reply regarding Carre's Grammar in Sleaford.

I have one more question for you if you don't mind - would you be able to confirm whether Oakham School had a "W R Hill" listed on any roll of honour? I have a photograph of the 1914 Oakham School Cricket team which includes this name. CWGC has a listing for William Reginald Hill MC & Bar of 4th DLI who died in captivity in November 1918. Just wondering whether this perhaps could be the man in the Oakham Photo?

Regards,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Mike: A Register of Oakham School 1875-1929 has the following concerning W. R. Hill:

Hill, William Reginald

Born 1896, son of W Hill, Polesworth, Tamworth

At Oakham School from 1911 to 1914 (Cricket 1913-1914; Football 1912-1914; Prefect, 1912)

Exhibitor, Corpus College, Cambridge, 1916

Lieut. Durham L. I.

Served in France

MC and Bar.

Died as POW at Stralsund, 1918

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for this confirmation. Mike.

Mike: A Register of Oakham School 1875-1929 has the following concerning W. R. Hill:

Hill, William Reginald

Born 1896, son of W Hill, Polesworth, Tamworth

At Oakham School from 1911 to 1914 (Cricket 1913-1914; Football 1912-1914; Prefect, 1912)

Exhibitor, Corpus College, Cambridge, 1916

Lieut. Durham L. I.

Served in France

MC and Bar.

Died as POW at Stralsund, 1918

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

I would appreciate if you could advise if you have anything on record for the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle for two brothers. David Merson served in the 26th Battalion, AIF and his records note he was educated at the Royal Grammar School. He was born 1889 . He was killed April 1918 close to Dernancourt. His brother, James Leslie Merson, also served in the AIF...born in 1885 and might also have attended this school. He was killed August 1916 at Pozieres.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Myrtle: I don't have anything on J S C Beard but WO 338 indicates that his papers are available at The National Archives. His long number is 175033. Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Dick

I missed your reply. Thank you very much for checking. I don't know when I will next visit the NA but I will make a note and check next time I'm there.

Regards

Myrtle

James Leslie Merson

Born in 1884, the son of Mrs. J. M. Merson, Newcastle

Entered the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1897 and played on the Cricket XI in 1899.

Employed in insurance after leaving the school

Served as a Sergeant in the Australian Army

Killed in action 31 August 1916.

David Merson

Born in 1889, the son of Mrs. J. M. Merson, Newcastle

Entered the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1900

Pte in the Australian Imperial Forces

Killed in action 16 April 1918

There was also a third brother, John Oswald Merson, born in 1886. Entered the school in 1900 and left in December 1901. Lived at Loansdean, Morpeth

Sources: The Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne 1545-1954; In Memoriam: Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick - this is great. Thanks for this and your time.

Paul

James Leslie Merson

Born in 1884, the son of Mrs. J. M. Merson, Newcastle

Entered the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1897 and played on the Cricket XI in 1899.

Employed in insurance after leaving the school

Served as a Sergeant in the Australian Army

Killed in action 31 August 1916.

David Merson

Born in 1889, the son of Mrs. J. M. Merson, Newcastle

Entered the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1900

Pte in the Australian Imperial Forces

Killed in action 16 April 1918

There was also a third brother, John Oswald Merson, born in 1886. Entered the school in 1900 and left in December 1901. Lived at Loansdean, Morpeth

Sources: The Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne 1545-1954; In Memoriam: Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Re: your post 1529 relating to Captain Reginald Pinder.

Firstly, I would like to apoligise for the delay in replying and secondly, I would like to thank you for all your help with my enquiry.

I had managed to previously find a record in the London Gazette relating to his promotion to Lieutenant and Captain. I had however been unable to trace in the Gazette, his appointment to a Commission. Thank you for providing me with the date of 29 August 1915.

I would be interested to learn how you were able to find this information. Was this an entry in the Gazette that I missed, or did you find this information from another sourse?

Many thanks,

Keith

Keith: The date of Pinder's commission as a 2nd Lieutenant came from the January 1916 Army List but I must admit that my fingers were not working well on the keyboard as his commissioning date should be 29 August 1914. Regards, Dick Flory

• 1 month later...

Dick,

Please could you look up the following man for me in the Rossall Register and let me have any info available?

Eric Montagu Fitzroy Rothery

Eric died on February 15th 1917 after he had been discharged from the Army so I am interested to find out just who he served with. I think his brothers also attended Rossall School.

Many thanks.

Andy.

Andy: His listing in The Rossall Register is as follows: 'Rothery, Eric Montagu Fitzroy (3 Feb 90); Prep; left 1902. Died 15 Feb 17, brother: C U H Rothery.' The only Medal Index Card that I could find was to a 'Private Eric Rothery, 93356 Durham Light Infantry.'

Sorry I could not be more helpful. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks very much anyway Dick.

I've already discounted the Eric Rothery of the D.L.I. as his service number is too high for the period when I know the Eric Rothery I'm interested in actually served.

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

A much belated thank you!!

Still looking for information about Fred.

I believe he died abt 1958. Since he worked internationally (based out of London), haven't been able to locate obituary or for that matter, any info. After much searching I've discovered his wife, Clare died in Nov 1977 in Leicester. I believe he only had one daughter.

Jill

J: I have nothing on the Bristol Grammar School but the Camborne School of Mines Old Students Association Register, 1957 indicates the following:

Patrick John Alfred HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1914-1916 and from 1919 to 1921. Associate of the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy from 1928 to 1944.

William Samuel HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1914 to 1915 and 1919 to 1921.

Frederick Charles HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1921 to 1924.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Could you advise if you have anything on Captain Henry Rawson Forde MC? He attended Clifton College and was killed in action in December 1917.

Many thanks,

Andy

Andy: From the Clifton College Register 1862-1925:

Forde, Henry Rawson Born 24 June 1894, the son of H. J. Forde, Waterford At Clifton from January 1907 to December 1911. 2nd Lieut., K.O. Yorks Light Infantry. Military Cross. Killed in action, December 1917.

From The Roll of Honour, Vol. 4:

Forde, Capt. Henry Rawson, 2nd Battn, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Born at Waterford on 24 June 1894, the son of Henry J. Forde of The Manor of St. John, Waterford, JP and his wife, Annie Catherine, daughter of Richard Rawson

Educated at Clifton College and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst

2nd Lieut., KOYLI, 12 Jan 1915

Captain, 3 Dec 1916

Military Cross, London Gazette of 17 April 1917 'for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He led his men in the attack with great gallantry, and captured an enemy line of strong posts, together with 40 prisoners. He had previously done good work.'

Went to France and Flanders in October 1917

Killed in action near Passchendaele on 2 December 1917. He was attempting to rally his men when a German sniper hit him in the head and he was killed at once.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Many thanks as always for your quick response.

Andy

Hi Dick,

I wonder if I could trouble you to check on a Glasgow Yeomanry Officer.

I am trying to find information on Robert Blackie Aikman who attended Glenalmond College in Perthshire.

I would be very grateful for any details.

Many Thanks

Michael

2nd Lieut. Robert Blackie Aikman

Born 11 June 1882, the son W G Aikman, 12 Kingsborough Gardens, Kelvinside, Glasgow

Educated at Glenalmond from 1898 to December 1901 (Prefect, played on XV) and at Clare College, Cambridge (BA, 1905)

Private, Q.O.R.G.Yeomanry 1915

2nd Lieutenant, Lanarkshire Yeomanry (TF), 16 February 1915

Retired due to ill-health in 1916

Went to South Africa to farm

Died near Clocolan, Orange Free State on 11 November 1918

Sources: The Glenalmond Register 1847-1929; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919, Monthly Army List, January 1916.

Many thanks for your detailed and prompt reply.

I was struggling to find information on 2nd Lt Aikman because he was born and died abroad.

He resigned his commission due to ill health (neuritis caused by exposure during training in Scotland)

The information you have found is very helpful

All the best

Michael

Try the Clare College archivist (details on college website). There may have been an obit in college magazine