Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

What a great resource, Dick! Could you look at Clifton College, Bristol?

Name of pupil - Douglas H**g

I think he would have been a pupil some time before the war of course, about 1875, but I would like to know if the Roll of Honour records the years when he was a pupil.

Thanks,

Tom

Dick,

Could I take atvantage of your generosity with some names please:

BOYD Brothers:

2/Lieut. William Noel Lawson BOYD

2nd Seaforth Highlanders (KIA April 25, 1915 France)

Educated-Cargillfield School, Clifton and Exeter College, Oxford.

2/Lieut. Nigle John Lawson BOYD

1st Bn. Black Watch (DOW October 12, 1914 Home)

Educated-Cargilfield School, Winchester College and Sandhurst.

FIELD Brothers:

2/Leiut. Cyril Decimus Field

4th Worcestershire Regt. (KIA June 4, 1915 Gallipoli)

Educated-St. Pauls School, where he was in the OTC

Lieut. Howard Field

4th Worcestershire Regt. (KIA August 6, 1915 Gallipoli)

Educated-St. Pauls School, where he was in the OTC

Any information would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.

David

Canada

I think he would have been a pupil some time before the war of course, about 1875, but I would like to know if the Roll of Honour records the years when he was a pupil.

Tom: According to the Clifton College Register, 1862-1925 the gentleman in question attended Clifton College from January 1877 to April 1879. Regards. Dick Flory

Wow - talk about a swift reply! Thanks very much for looking him up for me, Dick. A friend (also an Old Cliftonian) had insisted that DH could only have been a pupil for a matter of months. Now we have the full story.

Thanks again -

Tom

Dear Dick,

I am interested in people who attended the Liverpool Institute. I have a list of their Roll of Honour, but I would like to know where I might find a list, class lists perhaps, OTC lists, post war reunion lists - of others who served and survived. My grandfather & his brothers were there and their letters often refer to people (serving) whom I suspect were schoolchums.

It's long list so I only ask generally.

thanks

julian

Guest Pete Wood

I can vouch for how good this service is.

Many thanks for your help this morning, Dick, and this evening ;)

May I just ask how you came by all these gems (registers, rolls etc) ...??

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended

Hi

I noticed your original post - and would like to say that I have a copy of "Harrow School Register 1845 - 1885" and Aldenham School Register" (Hertfordshire - covering from about 1890 - 1950) - with brief notes included. - if anyone is interested in these schools and would like me to look up any names.

May I just ask how you came by all these gems (registers, rolls etc) ...??

To tell you the truth I have obtained them by spending a small fortune, especially because I live in California and the postage on heavy books from the UK is often as much as the books' cost. My interest is researching WW1 Royal Artillery officers and these books are essential in this research.

Regards. Dick Flory

David:

2/Lieut. William Noel Lawson BOYD

2nd Seaforth Highlanders (KIA April 25, 1915 France)

Educated-Cargillfield School, Clifton and Exeter College, Oxford.

Born on 26 Dec 92; eldest son of William Boyd, Edinburgh, writer to HM Signet and Member of the King’s Bodyguard for Scotland and his wife, Laura Scotia, the daughter of the late John Crerar of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and grandson of Sir John Boyd.. Educated at Clifton College from Jan 07 to Dec 10. and Exeter College, Oxford, Oct 1912. Presumed killed in action at St. Julien during the second battle of Ypres on 25 April 15

Sources: Clifton College Registers, Exeter College Registers, Oxford University Roll of Service

2/Lieut. Nigle John Lawson BOYD

1st Bn. Black Watch (DOW October 12, 1914 Home)

Educated-Cargilfield School, Winchester College and Sandhurst.

Born on 14 Sep 94 the son of William Boyd, Edinburgh, writer to HM Signet and Member of the King’s Bodyguard for Scotland and his wife, Laura Scotia, the daughter of the late John Crerar of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and grandson of Sir John Boyd. Educated at Winchester College and the RMC, Sandhurst where he was a Prize Cadet and was fourth on the list. Gazetted 2 Lieut, Black Watch on 25 Feb 14 and joined the 1st Bn at Oudenarde Barracks in early March. Left Aldershot with his regiment in early August and took part in the retreat from Mons to the Marne. Fatally wounded on the morning of 14 September, his birthday, during the early days of the battle of the Aisne. In the early morning of 14 September which was misty, his battalion was acting in concert with the Cameroon Hldrs. on the banks of the Aisne and found themselves opposed to a strong force of the Germans, and came under a very severe fire. Lt Boyd with his platoon had been directed to take up a position, and it had been indicated to him that it must be held at all costs. He personally fired 10 rounds at the Germans with his rifle and emptied his revolver. He was standing up and had drawn his Claymore, in turning to his side to give a signal to those of his men who survived he was hit. The bullet hit the scabbard of his Claymore, glanced off it and entered his left hip and lodged in the bladder. He pretended to be dead as the Germans entered his position. He was later rescued by Capt. Napier Cameron of the Cameron Highlanders. On 12 October he collapsed suddenly from a blood clot and died shortly afterwards. (Actually this excerpt from De Ruvigny’s “Roll of Honour” is much more extensive than given here – if you don’t have access to it let me know and I will copy it and send it to you. It also contains a photo of him.)

Sources: De Ruvigny, “Roll of Honour”; Winchester College Registers,

Wykemist Rolls of Honour.

Unfortunately I do not have a register or roll of honor for St. Pauls School so can’t help you with the Field brothers.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Would you please check for Major Harry Hickman Bromfield 1st Bn. Welsh Guards DSO who was at Malvern College (probably around 1880) kia 10th September 1916.

Also Captain Gerald Sidney Lewis 11th Bn. Middlesex Regiment kia 7th July 1916.

I'm just starting out on this man's research and have not been able to trace his school yet. I would appreciate if you would please check Dulwich College, as his parents lived in Bromley, Kent. He was 20 years old when he died therefore he may have just left school when the war started.

Regards

Myrtle

Julian wrote:

I am interested in people who attended the Liverpool Institute. I have a list of their Roll of Honour, but I would like to know where I might find a list, class lists perhaps, OTC lists, post war reunion lists - of others who served and survived. My grandfather & his brothers were there and their letters often refer to people (serving) whom I suspect were schoolchums.

Julian: I do have anything specifically on the Liverpool Institure but if it is possible that some of them went on to Liverpool College or Liverpool University I would suggest two sources:

(1) "Lancashire Biographies/ Rolls of Honour" - an almost 600 page book printed in 1917 that has biographies of many Lancashire citizens, and also has rolls of honour for University of Liverpool, Liverpool College, Manchester Grammar School, Merchant Taylors' School, and Rossal Schools.

(2) There is also "The University of Liverpool Roll of Service, August, 1914 to November 1918" that was pubished in 1921.

Regards. Dick Flory

Myrtle:

Myrtle:

Major Harry Hickman Bromfield 1st Bn. Welsh Guards DSO

Born 1869, son of H. Bromfield of Newnham Hall, Northants

Attended Malvern College from 1885 to 1888 where he played Crickett and Football

Also educated at Hertford College, Oxford.

Served in South Africa withthe 3rd South Wales Borderers from 1900-1901 (QSA with 3 clasps, KSA with 2 clasps, DSO, Mentioned in Despatches

Retired 1910

Chief Constable of Radnorshire in 1909

Rejoined in 1914 as Major, Welsh Guards

Killed in action on 10 September 1916

There is a photo and biography of him in “The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923”. I think I already sent you the photo and can send you the obituary if you don’t already have it.

Three brothers also attended Malvern College:

John Beadon Bromfield, 1885-1888, Solicitor Died at Sidmouth 29 Apr 24

Reginald Bromfield, 1885-1889, Died at Worcester, 30 Nov 1891

Charles Gwyn Trivet Bromfield, 1885-1890, Died of wounds near Boshof, in 1901 as Captain, 87 Coy, Imperial Yeomanry.

Source: Malvern College Register, 1865-1924;

Captain Gerald Sidney Lewis 11th Bn. Middlesex Regiment

He is not in the Dulwich College Register but I have found him elsewhere:

Born, July 1895

Educated at Bradfield College from Sept 09 to Dec 13; Prefect in 1912, Cricket XI in 1913.

Enlisted in B Company of the Inns of Court OTC on 22 Jul 1915 with a Regimental Number of 12 Sep 1914

Sources: Inns of Court OTC during the Great War; Bradford College Register, 1935.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you very much for the information on H.H. Bromfield and G.S. Lewis.

I am over the moon about Gerald Lewis as I have tried quite a few School Rolls without success and you have found him so quickly. A big thank you.

I would appreciate a copy of H.H. Bromfield's Obituary if it's not too much trouble.

Best Wishes

Myrtle :)

Myrtle:

I just realized that I left something out of the sentence concerning Gerald Sidney Lewis and the Inns of Court OTC. It should have read: Enlisted in B Company of the Inns of Court OTC on 22 Jul 1914 with a Regimental Number of 799 and joined the Middlesex Regt. on 12 Sep 1914.

I can scan the obiturary for Bromfield and send it as an email attachment or send you a hard copy by post. Please email me with your email address or postal address depending on which you prefer. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Could you please do a look up on-

Lieutenant Gerald Howard Smith MC,6th Btn South Staffords DOW 29/3/16 aged 36. Educated at Eton and Trinity College Cambridge.

Regards Doug

Gerald Howard Smith, MC South Staffordshire Regiment

Son of P H Smith of 10 west Cromwell Road, SW

Educated at Eton from Sept 1893 to July 1899 where he played on the Eton XI from 1898 to 1899; the Field XI in 1899 and the Mixed Wall in 1898, and at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1899

MC, three times wounded, Mentioned in Despatches.

Died of wounds in France on 29 March 1916

Sources: Eton School Register 1893-1899; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; The War List of the University of Cambridge.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you very much for the information,it is much appreciated.

Just to add Geralds father was the Honour Judge Howard Smith.

Thanks again.

Regards Doug

Dick,

Would you have any details for 2nd Lt R L Binns of the 8th Yorkshires who attended Stonyhurst College?

Would be grateful for any help.

Bob.

Dick,

My you have been busy with peoples requests! Thanks for your help with the Boyd brothers. The information is terrific!

Your efforts are much appreciated

Best regards

David Bluestein

Would you have any details for 2nd Lt R L Binns of the 8th Yorkshires who attended Stonyhurst College?

Bob:

2nd Lieut. Raymund L. Binns, 3rd Bn (attached 8th Bn) The Yorkshire Regiment

Born on 21 March 1884 - the son of Dr and Mrs. Binns of East Bergholt

Entered Stonyhurst College in 1897

At the outbreak of war Lieut Binns, though married and successfully embarked on a career as an artist, unhesitantly gave up his happy home and congenial work to join the Army. "I feel the times call for something a bit heroic" he observed to a near relative who was discussing the sacrifice he had made.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut. 22 Apr 15

Served in France from May 1916 to when he was KIA on 10 Jul 16 near Ovillers-La Boisselle during the battle of Albert.

According to his Colonel he was killed instantly by a bullet throught the head. He also wrote that he was "a fine soldier" who died "whilst assaulting the enemy's position, which the battalion eventually captured."

At the time the bullet struck him he was leading the bombers of the Battalion. His men had just captured the first trench. His soldier servant, who supplied these details, spoke feelingly of his affection for his officer and of the regard felt for him by the men of his platoon.

A brother officer, describing his bearing during the attack in which he met his death, said: "He was perfectly splendid and the men followed him wherever he went. The men of his platoon carried him bact to Becourt cemetary outside Albert and gave him a burial any soldier might be proud of. He was the bravest platoon commander I have had."

The artist friend with whom he worked and who was much attached to him, wrote thus:

"When Fr. John Gerard sent Raymund Binns with a letter of introduction, his name was familiar to me as figuring very frequently among the winners of the drawing prizes at Stonyhurst; and it was a pleasure to pass him along from the uncongenial surroundings of an office in the city to the Art and Book Company.

Attendance at evening classes soon gave him greater facility in draughtmanship, and when I moved into the country to work with stained glass in more pleasant surroundings, he very gladly joined me. He was at all times a well tried friend. He was keen in work or at play, clean-minded an cheery, a Catholic through and through, and a honour to the College of his upbringing.

I have no seen his equal in diving, and he was a fine swimmer and a capital forward at hockey.

The time came when his artistic ability had outrun the work I could lay before him. In London he was rapidly making a name for himself by the diginity and well-ordered balance of his designs and letterings. Not the least happy of these are the drawings which form the design still used for the cover of Stonyhurst Magazine, and the delightful end papers of the book of views of Stonyhurst."

Source: Stonyhurst War Record.

I have attached a photo of him.

post-14-1073175223.jpg

Dick, can I trouble you for two brothers of the 7th Northamptonshires please.

Lt. John Norris MORLEY died at Loos, 25.9.15 and Alexander survived the war.

They went to St Paul's School London, and John was a student at Reading University when war broke out.

Thankyou,

Kate

Dick , do you have the roll for Oxford University, I don't know which college

Sergeant i/c William Henry Statham

1st Fiji Reinforcements, Fiji Defence Force

European (England) born Jersey, Channel Islands 10 October 1878

enlisted Suva, Fiji storekeeper Church of England s/of Mr W H Statham, Avondale, Auckland NZ

wife Mrs Statham -Suva

attended Oxford University 3 years Grenadier Guards 1903-5

enlisted 18 July 1916

R/30880 1st KRRC Officers Training course 1917

to commission 2nd Lieutenant

1st or 2nd King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, 27 July 1917 I

ntelligence Officer with Byng’s Army in last stages of war

repatriated 8 June 1919 returned per Bremen with wife

received disbursement from Fiji Day Fund

Military Cross 1918

STATHAM, William W H, son of Mr W H Statham of Epsom, has been posted as 2nd Lieutenant, King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. He left Fiji in June 1916 as sergeant in charge of the First Fiji Reinforcement. After service in the battle of the Somme, he was selected for a commission and was posted for training at Oxford, his University town. [AWN 25.10.1917]

I am particularly looking for a photo

Christine,

The Oxford University Roll of Service 1914-1915 (forward May 27th 1915; pub. 1915) does not list any Stathams - so no clues there, but Dick may have information in other volumes.

Martin