Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dear Dick Flory

If you have the memorial book for King Edward VI School, Bath, could you please look up Lt Clement Aubrey SYMONS, Gloucestershire Regiment. KIA 25th September, 1915. Nephew of A E Housman.

He was also a schoolmaster but I am not sure if he taught at the above school, too.

Many thanks ... Maricourt

Thanks Bill, for the information - much appreciated.

There are two letters in my old copy of War Letters of Fallen Englishmen. I gather at least one other brother served in WW1 [he survived]. Housman wrote to his sister, Katharine, after reading about the death of her son in The Times. I'm interested if any of his letters have survived.

Regards ... Maricourt

Maricourt: Sorry, but my King Edward's School Register if for Birmingham rather than Bath. Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you, Dick for taking the time and trouble to answer my query - much appreciated.

Regards ... Maricourt

• 4 weeks later...

Chris: Unfortunately I have nothing on that school. Regards, Dick Flory

Apologies for the delayed response, Dick, only just saw this. Thanks anyway for checking, I really appreciate it.

Chris

Dick

Do you possibly have anything on a Hugh Cyril Kenion from Birkenhead, who was a boarder/pupil at Charterhouse 1901 aged 17?

Formerly a sergeant with King Edward Horse. As a 2nd Lieutenant 2nd Bn. Lancashire fusiliers, he died 1/7/1916

I have also written to the archivist at Charterhouse

Also have the small entry from Charterhouse Register 1872-1910 on Ancestry

Thanks

Caryl

Dick

Do you by any chance have entries with photos for these artillery officer casualties - they were all commissioned in Dec 1912.

Edmund William Montague Burrows. (kia 26/8/1916 42/2nd Bde)

Charles Cyril Pontin Tanner. (5/10/1918 157HB)

Humphrey Cyril Upson. (kia 29/7/1916 109SB)

James Henry Moriarty. (k 12/10/1915 18 SB)

thanks

CaryIW wrote:

Do you possibly have anything on a Hugh Cyril Kenion from Birkenhead, who was a boarder/pupil at Charterhouse 1901 aged 17?

Hugh Cyril Kenion

Born on 11 Dec 1883, the fifth son of J H Kenion of LIverpool

Educated at Charterhouse from Oration Quarter 1898 to Summer Quarter 1901

Solicitor with Harwood, Banner & Sons, Chartered Accountants

2nd Lieut, 2nd Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers

Killed in action at Beaumont Hamel on 1 July 1916

Source: Charterhouse Register 1872-1931.

battiscombe:

Lieut. Edmund William Montague Burrows, RFA

The elder son of Col Edmund Augustine Burrows, CMG, CBE, JP, RFA of the Manor House, Long Crendon, Thame, Oxon and his wife Mary Claudine (nee Goode).

Educated at Wellington College from 1906 to 1909 and at Royal Military Academy, Woolwich

2nd Lieut, RFA on 20 Jan 1913

From 1913 to his death he was posted to 42nd Battery, II Brigade, RFA in the 6th Division and went to France with it in Sept. 1914

The battery landed at St Nazaire and proceeded to Soissons and Armentieres.

Later it was at Ypres for a year before moving to Maricourt on the Somme.

Lieut, RFA 1915

Appointed Acting Captain

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette of 15 June 1916 'for good work at Hooge in August 1915)

Killed in action on 26 August 1916 while his battery was shelling Guillemont.

His Major wrote: 'He was without fear, and no matter what the conditions, was always cheery. I cannot express to you the sorrow which I and all the officers and men of the Battery feel at his loss. It makes a gap that will be difficult to fill.'

Sources: Wellington College Register 1859-1923; The Melvill Family: a Roll of Honour of the Descendants of Captain Philip Melvill.

post-765-0-56613300-1345654864_thumb.jpg

Lieut. James Henry Moriarty, RGA

Educated at King's School, Rochester from 1904 to 1909 (King's Scholar, 1907) and at Plymouth College from 1909 to 1910

Gentleman Cadet, RMA Woolwich, 1911

2nd Lieut., RGA, 1912

Went to France in 1914

Once Wounded

Mentioned in Despatches, 17 February 1915

Lieutenant, RGA, 1915

Accidently killed on active service on 12 October 1915 while serving with 18th Siege Battery, RGA

Source: The Roffensian Register 1835 to 1936.

Hi Dick,

I wonder if you could confirm the source of the photograph of Lieut.E.W.M.Burrows, R.F.A. I have looked in the The Melvill Family book on-line and can find no mention of his portrait from this source.

Many thanks,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Many thanks for the information on Milsom and Lawson, it is much appreciated.

Andy

Hello,

I've just subscribed to this website researching my Milsom family (Bath, UK). Earlier this evening I was 'chatting' with Tom Morgan who said he would write to you for assistance, but now I've found you myself I believe.

Sidney Milsom was my Grand Uncle, KiA at Hooge 30 July 1915. d838a3f3-87fe-4e7d-994d-7ccad2b0b5f1-4.jpg I understand from a locked forum entitled 'Do you own (or have you owned) a Memorial Plaque, you actually have one for Sidney. My father, Sidney's nephew, now aged 80 would be delighted to be able to see this plaque and I wonder whether we could perhaps discuss this at some point.

I am going to be out of the country from tomorrow for 2 weeks, but would be very pleased to have a conversation with you (via email or the chat room here) to find out more about Sidney (and perhaps his brother, Edward Winfrid Milsom, killed at Battle of Jutland).

I look forward to hearing from you in due course and thank you in anticipation.

Sally,

Tom did indeed get hold of me for you, I will be sending you an e-mail regarding this matter.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Old Owl: The photo of Lieut.E.W.M.Burrows, R.F.A. came from a supplement to the magazine Irish Life. I don't know the exact date but it was from an issue between September 1916 and June 1917. Regards, Dick Flory

• 4 weeks later...

Most generous 'Old Sweats'. If you are still in the look up business could I ask for 2/Lt William George Beaumont-Edmonds, Merchant Taylors' School, London, about 1900 but may have been just Edmonds at that time. Thanks Ralph

Old Owl: The photo of Lieut.E.W.M.Burrows, R.F.A. came from a supplement to the magazine Irish Life. I don't know the exact date but it was from an issue between September 1916 and June 1917. Regards, Dick Flory

Many thanks for the information Dick, I shall try and follow this up.

Robert

Ralph: 2nd Lieut. William George Beaumont-Edmonds

Born on 2 Jan 1883, the son of William A. Beaumont-Edmonds and his wife, Elizabeth, of Clapham Park.

Educated at Merchant Taylors' School from April, 1894 to 1900

Employed as Clerk in London City Council officers

Barrister-at-Law, Gray's Inn, called to Bar 1909

Served for many years in the 16th London Regiment

Mobilized in September 1914 as L/Cpl, 16th London Regiment

In 1915 he was commissioned into the 22nd London Regiment

Served in France for ten months

Killed in action, 17 Sept 1916 "at High Wood, near Longueval, by an enemy shell exploding in the trenches where he was setting a splendid example to his men during a severe bombardment."

Sources: Merchant Taylors' School Register, 1851-1920; Merchant Taylors' School War List and Roll of Honour; London City Council Record of War Service; The War Book of Gray's Inn.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hello again Dick,

Could I please request a look-up under Bromsgrove School if possible, for a Lieut. Arthur Eldred Barker Sutton of Rock Ferry, Cheshire?

He was at the school (in Gordon House I think) as a 17-year old in 1911 Census. Later King's Liverpool Regt. and RAF, died 4 July 1918.

Thanks,

Clive

Bromsgrove School at War 1914-1918 only gives the following: Lt A E B Sutton: Royal Air Force, date of death 4th July 1918; School 1910-1912. Interred Bebington Cemetery, Cheshire.

Dick Flory

• 2 months later...

Hi Dick,

you very kindly helped me when researching my book, 'Dorchester Remembers the Great War'. I am now looking at the Durnford School, Dorset memorial.

Do you have any info on a Rugbian named Douglas Harvey, Lt 2Btn Grenadier Guards. KIA 27/3/1918?

Many thanks,

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dick

Could I please request a look up for Daisy street council school, Kirkdale, Liverpool, for a Thomas Smith, 5th King's (Liverpool) Regiment, KIA 20/09/1917.

He was born in 1886 so I think he may of went there about 1898 and lived on Fonthill road, Kirkdale.

Kind regards.

Colin

gunnerBill wrote:

Do you have any info on a Rugbian named Douglas Harvey, Lt 2Btn Grenadier Guards. KIA 27/3/1918?

Brian: Always happy to help a fellow gunner!

Lieutenant Douglas Harvey, Grenadier Guards

Born 13 October 1894, the third and youngest son of George Alexander Harvey, a banker, of 3 Sloane Gardens, London, SW

Educated at Rugby School from 1908 to 1912 and then studied languages overseas.

Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards in 1916

Severely wounded at Ginchy in September 1916

Served in Chelsea Barracks with the Reserve Battalion in 1917

Went to the Front again in February 1918

Killed in action during the Battle of Arras on 27 March 1918, age 23.

The photo of him below is from the first-named source.

Sources: Memorial of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VI; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register.

post-765-0-39152000-1359746069_thumb.jpg