Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Toby: can you give me the dates you think he was at the Academy and the High School? How much of a schooling gap are we looking for? Antony

Dick: thanks for that. Makes my work easier. A

Toby: I'm sending you an e-mail with photographs of where your g/g/f lived on Elmbank Crescent. The building no longer stands but the street is there. It's about 100 yards from the old High School of Glasgow he attended. It was closed thirty years ago and a new independent school built elsewhere. There is also a photo of that old school as your g/g/f would have seen it from the corner of his street. Also his name on the Glasgow Academy Memorial Panels, together with a wide view and close up of them. Further, a view of the main School building, science block, assembly hall, and art department, and a view and close-up of the War Memorial set into the school wall. Further, a view of the building on Doune Quadrant and the one at 10 Woodcroft Avenue. This is now in a district called Broomhill but was probably within the village of Partick at the time. I was a bit embarrassed to find that you'd already been in touch with the High School regarding a photograph of his listing there but, as I was on the 'phone to them, they weren't too bothered and I didn't take up their time by showing up. There are two other schools that he could have gone to while at Woodcroft. One would be Hyndland School and the other would be Thornwood. Whiteinch School and Jordanhill School are a remote possibility. The memorial panels at Hyndland were stolen some years ago. Records for these schools should all be in the Mitchell Library collection in Glasgow as they were all so-called Corporation Schools (Jordanhill may have retained its own records). You can access the Mitchell on line. Yours, Antony

Dear Dick Flory

Could you help with Capt John Macfarlan CHARLTON - Uppingham School. No dates but he was 25 years old when he was killed at La Boiselle on 1st July 1916.

Many thanks ... Maricourt

Hello Dick

I am looking for information on some of the Rowe brothers aome of who attended Weymouth College - John b 1875, William b 1879, Robert b 1877, Edward b 1883, Thomas b 1885 Ernest b 1890 and Frank b 1893 (Ernest and Frank were killed in the war).

Would very much appreciate any information you have in the school record.

Thanks

Jill

QUOTE (rflory @ Jan 2 2004, 09:15 PM) I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Looking for a photo of an Eton boy KIA at Loos his name is Lionel Frederick Southwell SOTHEBY

regards

max

Maricourt wrote:

Could you help with Capt John Macfarlan CHARLTON - Uppingham School.

From the Uppingham School Roll, 1824 to 1931:

Charlton, John Macfarlan

Born in July 1891, the son of J. Charlton, 6 William St, Knightsbridge,SW

Educated at Uppingham School from September 1906 to July 1910

Captain, Northumberland Fusiliers

Mentioned in Despatches

Killed in action on 1 July 1916

Regards, Dick Flory

Jill wrote:

I am looking for information on some of the Rowe brothers aome of who attended Weymouth College - John b 1875, William b 1879, Robert b 1877, Edward b 1883, Thomas b 1885 Ernest b 1890 and Frank b 1893

From The Book of Records of Weymouth College, 1923

678: Rowe, John

Born 31 July 1875

Attended Weymouth College from Jan 1890 to July 1891

Railway Agent and Contractor

Some years in Weymouth

The only others with the name 'Rowe' who attended Weymouth College are Tom Azariah Rowe, who attended the school from May 1901 to 1902 and is shown as a railway agent and Charles Scott Rowe, born 17 Jan 1904, and attended the college from Sept 1912 to July 1914 and from Sept 1917 to April 1920.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dear Dick Flory

Could you help with Capt John Macfarlan CHARLTON - Uppingham School. No dates but he was 25 years old when he was killed at La Boiselle on 1st July 1916.

Many thanks ... Maricourt

Hi Maricourt,

If you would like photos and details of the Charlton brothers, please let me know.

Robert

Thank you Dick Flory and Old Owl for all your help.

Very much appreciated.

** Old Owl - I have sent a PM.

Regards ... Maricourt

Hi

THJacques was my great uncle. I am visiting his grave with my son in April. I have always wanted to, having in my possession a photo of his (sawn off propellor) battlefield temporary grave. I also have pics of him presumably in Ibstock, with his new uniform on before leaving. Any links to the Ibstock research would be interesting, and any background on the family>

MGWilliams

I'm looking for information from the British Grammar School c1905-1923 for three brothers: "Patrick" John Alfred HAMILTON, b 1896 (completion Jul 1914), "William" Samuel HAMILTON, b 1897 (completion Jul 1914), "Frederick" Charles HAMILTON, born 1899 (est completion 1916). I'm not sure if their two younger sisters would have attended the same school, "Mary" Edith Jane HAMILTON, b 1904, and Edith "Edie/Minne" Winifred Elzabeth HAMILTON, b abt 1906.

I believe all of the children were born in Penang. The boys received some, if not all, of their education at Bristol Grammar School, before attending the Camborne School of Mines (broken by periods of miliary service). I've been told Patrick also attended school in Belfast but that needs to be confirmed. Hopefully the school registers/admsisions would indicate that. I'm not sure if any of the others were schooled there.

I'm trying to figure out when they came to UK from Penang, where they were schooled, lived, family contact(s) etc. In July 1914, their mother, Mrs Edith (McIntyre) Hamilton, was listed at 16 Cotham Vale, Bristol. I'm not sure if she was in the UK for all their school years. Her husband taught in Penang until his retirement in1927. Unfortunately, Edith passed away just as he was getting ready to leave Penang.

I'd also like to know if they have any further details about the family, ie alternate contacts. I hope it might shed some light on Edith's famiy, some were supposed to have been in London (tbc). Edith died in Marylebone, supposedly with her family.

I'd also like to verify birthdates/birthplaces. I have dates for the four oldest children, but not for Edie/Minnie (and not for Edith).

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J

hamiltonhunt wrote:

I'm looking for information from the British Grammar School c1905-1923 for three brothers: "Patrick" John Alfred HAMILTON, b 1896 (completion Jul 1914), "William" Samuel HAMILTON, b 1897 (completion Jul 1914), "Frederick" Charles HAMILTON, born 1899 (est completion 1916). I'm not sure if their two younger sisters would have attended the same school, "Mary" Edith Jane HAMILTON, b 1904, and Edith "Edie/Minne" Winifred Elzabeth HAMILTON, b abt 1906.

J: I have nothing on the Bristol Grammar School but the Camborne School of Mines Old Students Association Register, 1957 indicates the following:

Patrick John Alfred HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1914-1916 and from 1919 to 1921. Associate of the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy from 1928 to 1944.

William Samuel HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1914 to 1915 and 1919 to 1921.

Frederick Charles HAMILTON: Attended the school from 1921 to 1924.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Many thanks for the information. It is very useful.

Regards

Jill

Jill wrote:

From The Book of Records of Weymouth College, 1923

678: Rowe, John

Born 31 July 1875

Attended Weymouth College from Jan 1890 to July 1891

Railway Agent and Contractor

Some years in Weymouth

The only others with the name 'Rowe' who attended Weymouth College are Tom Azariah Rowe, who attended the school from May 1901 to 1902 and is shown as a railway agent and Charles Scott Rowe, born 17 Jan 1904, and attended the college from Sept 1912 to July 1914 and from Sept 1917 to April 1920.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Do you have anything on Francis John Lindley Mitchell, RGA? A bit of googling has found that he matriculated at Clare College in 1914, and was commissioned into the Royal Garrison Artillery in March 1915.

I've looked at a digitised version of the University of Cambridge War List, so have that info, but do you have any more Clare specific info, I see he has an obit in the College magazine (1959 p72) do you have this? (If not I'll contact the college archivist.) Since he's an artilleryman, can you shed any light on his schooling?

My interest is that I believe he's the man recorded as Lieut F G Mitchell on the roll of honour of the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers, a ringer at St Leonard's Streatham (you can see a scan of the original roll at http://www.surreybellringers.org.uk/sites/default/files/Memorial_WW1.pdf, for clarity this is a roll of all those who served, those killed are on the first two pages, and the rest on the following three). The identification of F J L Mitchell with F G Mitchell is because in the weekly Roll of Honour published in the Ringing World throughout the war, the issue of 16 April 1915 reports Lieut F J L Mitchell of St Leonard's Streatham is with the RGA at Weymouth (as always with these rolls, I've come across plenty of other instances of incorrect initials too). There is also an F J L Mitchell (of West Norwood, which matches with 1911 census info) elected to the premier bellringing society, the Ancient Society of College Youths, in 1913 (see http://www.ascy.org.uk/mem1900-1924.htm). I have various other bits and pieces such as census info, BMD index entries, a few Times announcements and the like. Let me know if any of this is of any interest for your RA database (I'll be taking a lok at his service record at some point too).

David: I am afraid that I can not help you beyond what you already have as the only reference I have on him is the "Cambridge University War List." Regards, Dick Flory

Thnaks for letting me know. Do you want any of the otehr bits? Shall I PM you if I manage to get hold of the obit?

Dick,

The archvist repsonded vary promptly, and since th eobit was short just typed it up:

FRANCIS JOHN LINDLEY MITCHELL, who matriculated in 1914 from Dulwich College, died on July 1, 1958. After serving in the 1914-1918 war as a lieutenant in the R. A., he qualified as a Chartered Accountant and became a member of the firm Price, Waterhouse & Co. He was latterly Bursar of St. Paul's School.

I assume that any Dulwich College stuff you have lists only those killed?

The Dulwich College War List 1939-1945 shows:

MITCHELL, F. J. L. (1909-1914). Lieutenant, Royal Garrison Artillery

The Dulwich College Register 1619-1926shows:

7480. MITCHELL, Francis John Lindley,

Born 29 Apr 1896, eldest son of John Christopher Mitchell, JP, FCIS, 61 Leigham Court Road, SW 16

Brother of 8727 and 99997.

Educated at Dulwich College Prep., 1905-1909, left July 1914, 5th Math; and from Clare College, Cambridge 1914-15 and 1919-20 (BS 1920).

Articled Clerk, Price, Waterhouse & Co., 1920

Audit Clerk, 1924; ACA, 1924; FZS.

2nd Lieut, RGA, 10 Mar 1915

Served in France: Messines Ridge, 3rd Battle of Ypres

Wounded at Vermelles, 20 May 1918

Demobilized Feb 1920

On 20 Sept 1924 married Irene Springett, daughter of Rev. Arthur Edward Butt, MA of The Lawn, Exmouth, Devon.

His address in 1926 was c/o Westminster Bank, 62 Victoria Street, SW 1

Regards, Dick Flory

Brilliant, thanks, for completeness here's the other bits I've found:

Son, Christopher M born Lambeth RD, 4th quarter 1925 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=kArGj%2F%2B0PYfvGj3POE5mlg&scan=1

Gerald B, 3rd quarter 1927, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=kDWFU3P%2FkUfn9F72bkR%2FzQ&scan=1

Irene died 3rd quarter 1949, Hammersmith RD? http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=4zS5mLzQRlhUmVScPSaYvA&scan=1

LG shows she died 12 July 1949, address 298 Latymer Court, full name Irene Springett Mitchell, http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/38763/pages/5522

Remarried Kathleen B J McDowell, Birmingham RD, 3rd quarter 1951 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=de93ntlk%2BGv76PfBMD483Q&scan=1 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=bBFVC4wREjutl%2FIW1m%2FJNQ&scan=1

Confirmed by Times announcement Saturday, May 05, 1951; pg. 8; Issue 51993; col C, address same as above

Reported to have ttended Clare College Association dinner 14 July 1958, The Times, Tuesday, Jul 15, 1958; pg. 10; Issue 54203; col B ! (presumably someone forgot to cross him off the list passed to The Times)

Sons were engaged in 1957 (The Times, Wednesday, Sep 25, 1957; pg. 12; Issue 53955; col C) and 1958 (The Times Friday, Aug 15, 1958; pg. 10; Issue 54230; col C). Younger son was a captain in RE.

His father , John Christopher Mitchell was for many years Company Secretary and Treasurer to the London General Omnibus Company (his name used to appear on the side of every London bus), and various other companies, like the Underground, which merged to form London Transport.

I would very much appreciate a look-up in the Memorials of Rugbeians who fell in the Great War. I am looking for information on Charles Baldwin Drury Wake, 2nd Lt KRRC, who died on 25 September 1918, aged 19. He was at Rugby School. His father was Rear Admiral Drury St Aubyn Wake. Wake is remembered at Holy Trinity Church on Clapham Common, London SW4.

Charles Baldwin Drury Wake

Second Lieutenant, King's Royal Rifles Corps, 6th Battalion attd. 2nd Battalion

Killed in action on 25 September 1918, aged 19

CSGC: "Son of Admiral Sir Drury St. Aubyn Wake and Lady (Edith) Wake, of 78, Victoria Rd., Clapham Common, London. Educated at Rugby School (head of his house), Scholar of Corpus Christi College, Oxford."

Remembered at Bellicourt British Cemetery, Aisne, France; at Courteenhall War Memorial, Northamptonshire and on an alabaster plaque inside the church of St Peter and St Paul, Courteenhall.

Thanks so much!

On 10/10/2005 at 01:29, DaveBrigg said:

Dick

Is there a picture at all for Percy Alexander Margetts, who attended Batley Grammar School and Leeds University. I have a lot of biographical info, but only one very blurred image.

Also, on another thread, is there a link on your database for Captain Noel Bean RGA, seriously wounded in early 1918 (he was in hospital at the beginning of April). Sorry, I don't have a unit name.

I can give you details of an RFA officer who died in 1918 without seeing service abroad if this fits in with your research.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave - hope you are still active on the site.

I'm currently preparing a full Book of Remembrance for Birstall Memorial which has on it Percy Margetts - relatives of his still live in the town. Percy was one of the 'specials' on the Memorial and I am also preparing a 'specials' Book for the Church and the Town. Did you pull all you information together for Percy?

Would like to hear from you - my Email address is (removed by moderator) 

Bathsheba99 wrote:

I am looking for information on Charles Baldwin Drury Wake, 2nd Lt KRRC, who died on 25 September 1918, aged 19.

2nd Lieut. Charles Baldwin Drury Wake, KRRC

Born on 29 Jun 99, the only son of Vice Admiral Sir Drury St. Aubyn Wake, KCIE, CB Of 78 Victoria Road, Clapham Common, London, SW8

Barred from joining the Royal Navy due to bad eyesight

Educated at Rugby School from January 1914 to December1917 (Scholar, VI, Exhibitioner; Head of House; School Debating Society) and Scholar Elect of Corpus Christi College, Oxford.

On 4 Jan 1918, he was appointed to the Officer Cadet Battalion at Fleet, Hampshire and remained there until June 1918

Commissioned into the 6th Bn, KRRC in June 1918

He went to France in August 1918 and joined the 4th Bn, KRRC at Harfleur

In September 1918 he was attached to the 2nd Bn, KRRC on the Cambrai-St. Quentin front. At this time the battalion captured an important position and orders were received to defend it at all costs. In the evening 2nd Lieut. Wake was sent to the front line and put in charge of a company. After heavy artillery preparation throughout the morning of the next day, the enemy in the afternoon attempted to counter-attack, but was repulsed with great success. No further counter-attack was made, but the enemy's fire continued to be very heavy all day, and the Battalion suffered severely, 2nd Lieut. Wake himself being killed in the late afternoon by a shell.

Killed near Pontruet on the Cambrai-St. Quentin front on 25 Sept 1918, age 19.

His photo from the third mentioned source is attached.

Sources: Rugby School Register Annotated, 1892-1921;Rugby School War Register; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VI; Corpus Christi College Oxford Biographical Register 1880-1974.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-0-64859600-1301437604.jpg

Dick

Is there a picture at all for Percy Alexander Margetts, who attended Batley Grammar School and Leeds University. I have a lot of biographical info, but only one very blurred image.

Also, on another thread, is there a link on your database for Captain Noel Bean RGA, seriously wounded in early 1918 (he was in hospital at the beginning of April). Sorry, I don't have a unit name.

I can give you details of an RFA officer who died in 1918 without seeing service abroad if this fits in with your research.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dick

Could you help with a Lt Claude Cressy Horsley who attended Oakham School he died on 28 Nov 1917

Regards Doug

Doug II wrote:

Could you help with a Lt Claude Cressy Horsley who attended Oakham School he died on 28 Nov 1917

From A Register of Oakham School 1875-1929:

"HORSLEY, Claude Cressy.

Born in 1893 the son of Charles Cressy Horsley, 5 Sandwell Crescent, W. Hampstead

Educated at Oakham School from 1898 to 1899

Married in 1912

Joined Oakham Officer Cadet Corps in 1914

Lieut, 4th N. Staffs Regt in France

Died of wounds in 1917"

Regards, Dick Flory