Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

On 22/03/2009 at 00:28, Moriaty said:

Hello Dick

I dont know whether there is such a thing as a Roll of Honour or Memorial book for Rossall School for the 297 Rossallians killed in the Great War?

If so, I have a former Rossallian who appears in the Rossall Register and would be most grateful for a look up:

Percy Francis Gethin, born 25 July 1874

Entrance Rossall 3rd term 1889, Hain, M 1891

Holywell, Sligo

He was an artist and joined up as private in the 28th Londons Artists Rifles, number 2976. From 1915 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Devonshires, attached to the 8th Battalion. KIA 28 June 1916 aged 42, buried in Devonshire Cemetery.

Any information would be most welcome. Thanks

Moriaty

PS he was also a student at the Royal College of Art, he taught at Plymouth School of Art and at Liverpool City School of Art. I dont know whether Art Schools had Rolls of Honour or Memorial volumes?

Hi

I know this is ten years later, but I can confirm that the RCA does have a war memorial. I have been researching the names and the memorial itself for a number of years. I am afraid Gethin does not appear on it - could simply be an error or that he attended the precursor to the RCA itself. The RCA online memorial I've been working contains two names not noted on the memorial and, hopefully, if other names come to light they can be acknowledged too. Here is the link to the:

http://remembrance.rca.ac.uk/

best

• 2 months later...

Dear Dick,

May I please ask your assistance again in locating further details for two officers (brothers) who died in the Great War?

The elder was Kenneth Rees Habershon (1889-1916).  He went to Winchester College and I have been given a copy of his entry in the "Wykehamists Who died in the War 1914-18" volume.  Leaving in 1908 he went to New College Oxford (he was described as a Law student in 1911 Census and left college that year).  Returned to the UK from Canada 1914 and died as a Captain in the 12th Rifle Brigade.  Is there anything on his university career please?

His younger brother was Leonard Osborne Habershon (1893-1916).  Also a Wykehamist and I have a copy of the entry as above.  Left in 1912.  In 1916 he was killed as a Captain in the 12th East Yorkshire Regiment.  I have a vague idea he may have studied at Queens College Oxford, but wonder if you could confirm this please?

Thank you,

Clive Hughes

Dick,

I do beg your pardon, you have already looked them up for me back in 2009!  Sorry to bother you.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2004 at 20:21, Tom Morgan said:

What a great resource, Dick! Could you look at Clifton College, Bristol?

Name of pupil - Douglas H**g

I think he would have been a pupil some time before the war of course, about 1875, but I would like to know if the Roll of Honour records the years when he was a pupil.

Thanks,

Tom

For info Douglas Haig went to Clifton Bank School , St Andrews,Fife,Scotland

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/762549/st-andrews-university-remembers-students-who-served-during-first-world-war/

Edited by nemesis

• 1 year later...

Hello Dick,

Have you got anything on Frank Saxon Ward (Uppingham), or Jack Bouverie Mallam Ward (Marlborough)?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

IPT

From The Marlborough College Register 1843-1933:

JACK BOUVERIE MALLAM WARD

Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey.

Born 19 Feb.1895

Marlborough Jan 1909 to Mid 1910 (Littlefield House)

Great War: 2nd Ox & BUCK LI - 2nd Lieut 1914 - Despatches

KIA 4 Nov 1914

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

39 minutes ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

IPT

From The Marlborough College Register 1843-1933:

JACK BOUVERIE MALLAM WARD

Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey.

Born 19 Feb.1895

Marlborough Jan 1909 to Mid 1910 (Littlefield House)

Great War: 2nd Ox & BUCK LI - 2nd Lieut 1914 - Despatches

KIA 4 Nov 1914

Dave

Thanks Dave!

From the Uppingham School Roll 1853 to 1947:

Ward, Frank Saxon Born in August 1893. Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey, Cheshire. At Uppingham from January 1908 to July 1911. Captain, King's Liverpool Regiment, Mentioned in despatches twice. Died of wounds 31 July 1917

17 minutes ago, rflory said:

There is a photo of JBM Ward and details about his death in the Marlborough College Roll of Honour (http://archive.marlboroughcollege.org/Filename.ashx?systemFileName=%2fDOCS%2fWard_JBM.pdf&origFilename=)

4 minutes ago, rflory said:

From the Uppingham School Roll 1853 to 1947:

Ward, Frank Saxon Born in August 1893. Son of F. Ward, Wyndcliffe, Wallasey, Cheshire. At Uppingham from January 1908 to July 1911. Captain, King's Liverpool Regiment, Mentioned in despatches twice. Died of wounds 31 July 1917

That's perfect. Thanks very much, Dick.

• 3 months later...
On 04/01/2004 at 01:51, Kate Wills said:

Dick, can I trouble you for two brothers of the 7th Northamptonshires please.

Lt. John Norris MORLEY died at Loos, 25.9.15 and Alexander survived the war.

They went to St Paul's School London, and John was a student at Reading University when war broke out.

Thankyou,

Kate

Lt. John Norris Morley died at Loos 25.9.15;  John Morley attended Berkhamsted School (St John's House, previously Sibdon House).   His death is recorded in the School Roll of Honour WW1.

Alexander Francis Morley (AFM), also in the 7th Northamptons, attended St. Paul's School London; was awarded an Art Foundation Course at the Royal Institute of British Artists and professionally trained as an architect.   He joined the Army through the Derby Scheme on 10th January 1916 as a Private.  He died in 1974.

I am currently transcribing AFM's WW1 diaries which are complete from the date of his entry to the Army to mid 1919.

I have a copy of text, I think posted on this site (see above), relating to John's death at Loos. (Kate Wills refers to 'Dick' see above) John's death is recorded on the Loos Memorial at Dud Corner 'as having no known grave'.

The original posting went into detail about the three cemeteries at Vermelles giving dates when they were completed.   "Conjecture as to John Morley would 'probably have been buried in plot 1 in, I think, in Vermelles British Cemetery."

My question is - Where would plot 1 be?

AFM's in his diary and again in a letter home in 1918 he says .   "From the last stories we had of him it seemed certain that his body was left in German possession.   I suppose he must have retired some way from the Hohenzollern Redoubt and reached a spot, front somewhere near our present line .... That one of the present B. Company Sergeant’s  (May 1918) was told by one of the original B. Company Sergeants, whom he met at Calais, that Lieutenant Morley was buried in Vermelles Cemetery."

On 01/07/2019 at 22:11, nemesis said:

5018E544-7955-4E2A-8D68-A512DDB9ACFF.jpeg

Just now, nemesis said:

5018E544-7955-4E2A-8D68-A512DDB9ACFF.jpeg

From the St Andrews town magazine

• 1 year later...
On 04/12/2013 at 21:29, mrfrank said:

Hello Dick,

Three or four years back I obtained a couple of large, detailed photographs of the Oakham School cricket teams in 1914 and 1915. I'd be very grateful if you'd be able to provide any further service/background details from the school register, however brief, on the individuals featured. Just a full name for the missing ones if you have it would be a good start for me!

JW Heywood [appears to be a school master]

FK Thornton

Eric John Crisp

Lancelot John Austin Dewar - KIA 2 RMLI 13/11/16

James Edward Atter - KIA 5 Leics 16/4/16

Douglas Alexander Hall - KIA 10 Y&L 23/4/17

William Reginald Hill - died POW 4 Attd 12 DLI 6/11/18

Herbert Alfred Vincent Wait - KIA 2 Berks 2/12/17

JCF Wilkinson

John Christian PE Metcalfe

Arthur Percy Frank Chapman

J Wilson

Leonard Arthur Kingham - KIA 1 Berks 10/8/17

AF Taverner - KIA 1 KSLI 11/10/16

WL Barnett

Alan Bacchus Gordon

George Curtis Coleman

GE Curtis

GP Lockwood

Maurice John Kingham

Funnily enough I have both HAV Wait and AB Gordon featured together on another photo I have of E Company RMC Sandhurst in April 1916. Apologies if this is too many names to deal with in one go!

Mike

Hi, George Curtis Coleman was my great Uncle, and I would love to see the photos from Oakham School on which he appears. Would there be any chance of having copies please?

Pete

7 minutes ago, pete the pro said:

Hi, George Curtis Coleman was my great Uncle, and I would love to see the photos from Oakham School on which he appears. Would there be any chance of having copies please?

Pete

Hello Pete…..I shall PM you

• 1 year later...
On 30/11/2005 at 04:00, rflory said:

Andrew French wrote: "We have quite a lot of information of Major RM Henman RA. Would you be intersted in receiving this ? Surprisingly no one at Woolwich seemed interested"

Andrew: I would be very happy to receive whatever information you have on Major RM Henman, RA. I will send you my email and snail mail address by PM. Regards. Dick Flory

Im related to RM Henman and would be glad to receive any additional information you have on him. He is also in my family tree. Thanks. Steven Henman

henners1974 wrote: 

Im related to RM Henman and would be glad to receive any additional information you have on him. He is also in my family tree.

Major Richard Max Henman, RFA

Born in Reading, the son of W. H. Henman.

Mayordomo on estancia La Aurora, El Di in Argentina prior to war.  Left for the UK in January 1915

Promoted Lieut, RFA on 16 June 1915

Served with 'Y' Battery, RHA from 17 Oct 15 to 30 Nov15; Adjutant 15 Brigade, RHA from 1 Dec 15 to 7 May 16; with 15 Brigade Ammo Column from 8 May 16 to 21 Sep 16; with No. 4 Section, 29 Divisional Ammo Column, RFA from 22 Sep 16 to 5 Dec 16; then to hospital.

In 1918 he was serving with Berks Battery, RHA.  Gazetted for the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 26 July 1918. Citation: 

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. For six and a half hours the battery under his command, by gun-fire over open sights, prevented the enemy advance, and inflicted very heavy losses on him at short range, and it was only after dusk, when he could no longer see to direct the fire, that the enemy succeeded in advancing. He then destroyed his guns, and withdrew his men under rifle fire, when the enemy were within 50 yards. His display of courage, coolness and resource was a splendid encouragement to his men. [on 21 Mar 18]

Died of pneumonia on 3 November 1918

There is a photo of him in Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War. Buenos Aires: Buenos Aires Herald, 1920.

5 hours ago, rflory said:

henners1974 wrote: 

Major Richard Max Henman, RFA

Born in Reading, the son of W. H. Henman.

Mayordomo on estancia La Aurora, El Di in Argentina prior to war.  Left for the UK in January 1915

Promoted Lieut, RFA on 16 June 1915

Served with 'Y' Battery, RHA from 17 Oct 15 to 30 Nov15; Adjutant 15 Brigade, RHA from 1 Dec 15 to 7 May 16; with 15 Brigade Ammo Column from 8 May 16 to 21 Sep 16; with No. 4 Section, 29 Divisional Ammo Column, RFA from 22 Sep 16 to 5 Dec 16; then to hospital.

In 1918 he was serving with Berks Battery, RHA.  Gazetted for the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 26 July 1918. Citation: 

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. For six and a half hours the battery under his command, by gun-fire over open sights, prevented the enemy advance, and inflicted very heavy losses on him at short range, and it was only after dusk, when he could no longer see to direct the fire, that the enemy succeeded in advancing. He then destroyed his guns, and withdrew his men under rifle fire, when the enemy were within 50 yards. His display of courage, coolness and resource was a splendid encouragement to his men. [on 21 Mar 18]

Died of pneumonia on 3 November 1918

There is a photo of him in Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War. Buenos Aires: Buenos Aires Herald, 1920.

Thanks very much for this information. I have now updated my family tree and hope to visit his grave next year.

• 1 month later...
On 04/10/2009 at 04:32, MyGenes said:

Re: George Richard Jones, he was at St. Johns College, Battersea in 1915 when he enlisted with Northamptonshire Reg and transferred to Royal Engineers, Chemists soon after. After WWI he appears to have returned to his home at Far Cotton, Northamptonshire. Wondering if he is in electoral rolls there after the war and any suggestions how I can find more about his post war life.

Thank you for any info/suggestions you can provide.

SR

Re: George Richard Jones,he was my Grandfather.Please advise the information you require re Post-WW1 life.Can advise on much/most of this.Best wishes,RS.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @MyGenes hasn’t visited the forum since 2009. My tag may  alert them to your post. 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. @MyGenes hasn’t visited the forum since 2009. My tag may  alert them to your post. 

Many thanks.Came across this request by accident.N.B. I'm the last living relative who actually knew this man,so any contact you have with this member i.e.email etc.,please advise ASAP.Many thanks for your help,very worthwhile site,Robert.

• Admin

We cannot give out members personal emails owing to GDPR. You could try sending a private message, click on their username, and then on the envelope icon. It all depends whether they still use the same email address now as when they registered here, to determine if they get the tag and any private messages.