Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Colin wrote:

Could I please request a look up for Daisy street council school, Kirkdale, Liverpool, for a Thomas Smith, 5th King's (Liverpool) Regiment, KIA 20/09/1917.

Colin: I don't have anything on Daisy Street Council School, Kirkdale. Sorry, Dick Flory

Dick,

You have done it again; hit the bullseye. Thank you so much. I do have a few more requests, if you're up for it?

My father-in-law was a driver with 235 Bde, RFA, 47th London Div.

Is it ok to use the photo in an article I am writing for the WFA?

Just out of interest, my book contains the stories of the following RA officers:

Capt. Thomas John Allen, RFA

Capt. Thomas Winwood, 99 Bde, RFA

2nd Lt Ernest Stebbing Collier, 9 Bde RGA

2nd Lt Richard Markbarn Chadwick, 11 Siege Bty

Capt. William John Whale, 163 Siege Bty.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian: Let me know any additional requests that you have and I will do what I can. It is fine with me if you use the photos but realize I do not know if there are any copyright restrictions. Just received your book in the mail; very well done. Regards, Dick

Hello Dick

Don't suppose you have anything on Cecil George Millar Wilkinson? A 2nd Lt. in the Royal Artillery (58th Essex & Suffolk Medium Brigade) having previously served in the RAF - London Gazette for 19/8/1924. I don't know his school/University, though his family seem to have lived in the Stowmarket/Ipswich area, so probably somewhere in that region. Any information greatly appreciated.

thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you on two counts, Dick. Your kind comment on the book and your willingness to do some more lookups. All the ones I am looking for appear on the Durnford School memorial, in Dorset:

John Edric Russell Allen, 16th Lancers- Wellington College and Trinity College.

Bartlett Laurie Stuart Frere, 4th Btn Bedfordshire Rgt- Eton College.

Reginald William Fletcher, 26th Bde RHA- Eton College (1905/10).

Samuel Archibald Currie Gibson MC, Wilts Rgt, attached Ox and Bucks Christs Hospital and Exeter College, Oxford.

Gerald Montague Gordon, 12th Btn Royal Fusiliers- Wye College.

Gareth Hamilton-Fletcher, 3rd Btn Grenadier Guards, attached 1st Btn Scots Guards - Eton College.

Harold Francis Hughes-Gibb, 62nd Bde RFA- Trinity College.

Douglas Harvey, 2nd Btn Genadier Guards- Rugby School. (His brother Thomas also died in the War and my have gone to Rugby as well).

John O Colham knight, 6th Btn Royal West Surrey- Trinity College.

Ronald Owen Lagden, 4th Btn KRRC- Harrow and Oriel College.

Edmund Morton Mansel-Playdell, Dorsets, attached 3rd Worcesters- Sherborne School.

Walter Evelyn Parke, 2nd Btn DLI- Winchester

John Aubrey Parke, 9th Btn Rifle Brigade, formerly DLI- Winchester.

Osmond Bartle Wordsworth-Masters, 21 Company MGC- Trinity College.

Thanks, again.

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dick

I am seeking information regarding Lt Col Hubert Horan Brown, Indian Medical Service. He was born in Leeds in 1886 and was educated at Epsom College (Surrey), Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and the Medical School, Leeds University. Whilst at Cambridge he served as a Sergeant in Cambridge University OTC and on moving to Leeds he was granted a commission in the Leeds University OTC and became Commanding Officerprior to joining the Indian Medical Service . I would be most grateful for a look up in the appropriate School/College Rolls. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Dick

Just bouncing this back up in case you might have missed it.

Regards

Ron

Hello Dick

I am seeking information regarding Lt Col Hubert Horan Brown, Indian Medical Service. He was born in Leeds in 1886 and was educated at Epsom College (Surrey), Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and the Medical School, Leeds University. Whilst at Cambridge he served as a Sergeant in Cambridge University OTC and on moving to Leeds he was granted a commission in the Leeds University OTC and became Commanding Officerprior to joining the Indian Medical Service . I would be most grateful for a look up in the appropriate School/College Rolls. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

Lt Col Hubert Horan Brown (later Hubert Horan Horan-Brown), RAMC

Born in 1886, the son of Dr. J W H Brown of Roundhay, Leeds

Educated at Epsom College from 1899 to 1904 (Hockey XI) and at Caius College. Cambridge (Boat; BA Hons.; MB; BCh, MRS, LRCP.)

During Great War Temp. Major RAMC (DADMS)

Served in France, Mespotamia, Palestine and Egypt

Thrice mentioned in despatches, Order of the Nile, 4th Class

Capt, IMS

Later Colonel, IMS

In 1955 his address was 5 Alderson Road, Harrogate

Sources: Epsom College Register from October 1855 to December 1924; Epsom College Register 1855-1954; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919.

Doctord84 wrote:

Don't suppose you have anything on Cecil George Millar Wilkinson? A 2nd Lt. in the Royal Artillery (58th Essex & Suffolk Medium Brigade) having previously served in the RAF - London Gazette for 19/8/1924.

David: I am somewhat confused as I cannot find a 'C G M Wilkinson' in the November 1918, July 1920 or May 1922 Monthly Army Lists, nor is he listed as an officer in the 58th (Essex and Suffolk) Medium Brigade, RA in the November 1923 or April 1924 Royal Regiment of Artillery Seniority and Distribution Lists.

Regards, Dick Flory

Brian (gunnerBill): I haven't forgotten your list of officers. Will get it done in the next few days. Am I correct in assuming that you already have the information from The Durnford Memorial Book of the Great War 1914-1918? Regards, Dick Flory

Dick: That's odd! The two references I've got are as follows: Firstly his RAF Service record (from National Archives) which says he was an honorary 2nd Lt. from either 6th (or 8th) August 1919; secondly the Gazette for 19/8/1924 says Hon. 2nd Lt. CGM Wilkinson late RAF to be 2nd Lt. 10th June 1924 and he's listed under the 58th Bde. We believe he was at Catterick camp in 1929, presumably with the R.A. There's a later Gazette entry (1941) which shows him transferring to the Army Service Corps. so maybe there are some later RRA list entries for him?

cheers

David

David: I found him. He was commissioned into the 58th Medium Brigade RA (TA) on 10 June 1924 and left the RA (TA) sometime between February 1926 and February 1927. Regards, Dick Flory

Brian: Here is what I have on the names you sent. If you send me your email address by PM I can provide photos for the following officers: Allen, Fletcher, Gordon, Hamilton-Fletcher, Harvey, Knight, Lagden, Mansel-Pleydell, W E Parke, and J A Parke.

John Edric Russell Allen, 16th Lancers

Born at Heaton, Mereey, Lancs on 3 Aug 1890, the eldest son of Russell Allen, of Davenham Hall, Northwich, Senior Proprietor of The Manchester Evening News and his wife, Blanche, daughter of Joesph Moseley of Manchester

Educated at Wellington College from Summer 1904 to Summer 1909 (VI; School Prefect) and at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1909 to 1912 (BA, 1912)

Commissioned into the 16th Lancers ion 19 Aug 1913

Promoted Lieut., 10 Oct 14

Appointed Acting Captain, 19 Jan 18

Mentioned in despatches, London Gazette, 23 May 18.

DOW at Rouen on 8 Apr 18 from wounds received at Moreuil on 30 Mar 18

Sources: Wellington College Register 1859-1962; Wellington College Register 1859-1923; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; De Ruvigney's Roll of Honour vol. 2, Part IV.

Bartlett Laurie Stuart Frere, 4th Btn Bedfordshire Rgt

Only son of L. Frere, of Twyford House, Bishop's Stortford

Educated at Eton School from 1909 to 1914 (Opp. and Mixed Wall, 1913)

2nd Lieut, Bedfordshire Regt in August, 1914

Went to France in Spring, 1915 and fought at Ypres in that year

Lieut, 4 Bn, Bedfordshire Regt.

Invalid home due to trench fever and trained recruits

Returned to France in July 1916 as an Acting Captain

Mentioned in Despatches

Killed in action at Beaumont Hamel on 13 Nov 16; shot by a machine gun while leading his company into action.

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIX-MCMXIX; Eton School Register, Part VIII 1909-1919; Eton College Chronicle, 14 December 1916;

Reginald William Fletcher, 26th Bde RHA

Born on 19 Mar 92, the youngest son of Charles Robert Leslie Fletcher, History Tutor of Magdalen College, of Norham End, Oxford

Educated at Eton School from 1906 to 1910 (Artillery Section of OTC) and at Balliol College, Oxford from 1910 to 1913 (BA, 2nd Class Mods, Greek and Latin, 1912; Oxford VIII, 1914)

Before the war he was in command of the Oxford OTC

Rowed in the Leander Four at Henley Regatta in 1913 and in the Oxford University Eight in 1914.

Was active in the Artillery Section of the Oxford OTC and during his last year was second-in-command

2nd Lieut. RFA, 4 Aug 1914

Went to France with 116th Battery, 8th Howitzer Brigade, RFA on 20 Aug 14 and later transferred to 118th Battery, RFA. Participated in the Battle of the Marne and the Battle of the Aisne

Killed in action at Veldhoek, near Gheluvelt, Belgium on 31 Oct 14 while returning from the observation post.

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIX-MCMXIX; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1; The Balliol College Register 1833-1933; Balliol College War Memorial Book, Vol. 1; War Diary of 62nd Brigade, RFA Oxford University Roll of Service; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1, Pt 1; De Ruvigney's Roll of Honour, Vol 1, Pt 1.

Samuel Archibald Currie Gibson MC, Wilts Rgt, attached Ox and Bucks

Born on 31 Oct 88 at Shepherds Bush, London, the elder son of Samuel Miller Gibson, tutor.

2nd Lieut, 3rd Bn, Wiltshire Regt.

Educated at Exeter College, Oxford from Oct 1907 to 1911 (Class II Class Mods, 1909; Class IV Lit Hum., 1911; BA, 10 Aug 11) and Christ Hospital.

2nd Lieut., Wilts Regt, attd. Ox and Bucks Lt Infy, 1915

Military Cross, London Gazette, 26 Sept 1917

Died of wounds, 26 Aug 17

Sources: Christ's Hospital Roll of Service Roll of Service, Third Edition, July 1916; Register of Exeter College, Oxford 1891-1921; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Gerald Montague Gordon, 12th Btn Royal Fusiliers

Born at Sherborne on 8 Apr 91, the youngest son of George Henry Gordon of The Barn House, Sherborne and Wincombe Park, Shaftesbury

Educated at Durnford School, Wellington College from 1905 to 1908 (XI 1906-07; Racketts Rep, 1908) and the South Eastern Agricultural College, Wye.

2nd Lieut., Royal Fusiliers, 15 Aug 14

Went to France, Feb 1915

KIA 9 Jun 17 at Ypres

Sources: De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, vol 2, Pt 4 Wellington College Register 1859-1962; Wellington College Register 1859-1923.

Gareth Hamilton-Fletcher, 3rd Btn Grenadier Guards, attached 1st Btn Scots Guards

Born 13 May 94, the son of George Hamilton-Fletcher of Leweston Manor, Sherborne, Dorset, and The Anchorage, near Christchurch, Hants

Educated at Eton School from 1907 to 1913 (Cricket XI, 1912-13; King's 1st German Prize, 1911; 2nd French Prize, 1911; 1st French Prize, 1912; XI, 1912-13; won School fives with J H Bevan, 1913; Keeper of Fives, 1913) and at Balliol College, Oxford from 1913-14 (Cricket XI)

2nd Lt, Grenadier Guards, Spec. Res., 5 Sep 14

Went to France on 5 Jan 1915 with 3rd Bn, Grenadier Guards, but took sick before he arrived at the front lines

After he recovered he was attached to the 1st Bn, Scots Guards

KIA at Cuinchy-La Bassée on 25 Jan 15 when the Germans assaulted the British lines

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIX-MCMXIX; Eton School Register, Part VIII 1909-1919; Fifty Years of Sport, Eton, Harrow and Winchester; The Balliol College Register 1833-1933; Balliol College War Memorial Book, Vol. 1; Oxford University Roll of Service; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1, Pt 2.

Harold Francis Hughes-Gibb, 62nd Bde RFA

Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge

Lieut., RFA

Served with 62nd Brigade, RFA

Killed in ation on 18 April 1917

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; War Diary of 62nd Brigade, RFA.

Douglas Harvey, 2nd Btn Genadier Guards

Born on 13 Oct 1894, the third and youngest son of George Alexander Harvey, Shirley Hyrst, Weybridge, Surrey

Educated at Rugby School from May 1908 to 1912

Then studied languages abroad

2nd Lieut., 2nd Bn, Grenadier Guards, Jan 1916

Severely wounded at Ginchy in Sept 1916

Promoted Lieut, Sept 1916

Served at Chelsea Barracks with the Reserve Battalion in 1917

Returned to the front in Feb 1918

KIA at Arras on 27 Mar 18

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VI;

John Owen Colham Knight, 6th Btn Royal West Surrey

Born on 19 April 1898, the only son of Coldham Crump Knight and Eva Knight of Monks Hill, Farnham, Surrey

Educated at Rugby School from 1911 to 1916 and at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1906

Joined an Officers Cadet Battalion at Cambridge on 1 Dec 16

2nd Lieut., 6th Bn, R West Surrey Regt., May 1917

Went to front on June 1917

During the Battle of Cambrai he was shot in the heart by a sniper and killed instantly during an enemy counterattack on 30 Nov 17 at age 19.

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume V.

Ronald Owen Lagden, 4th Btn KRRC

Born at Maseru, Basutoland on 21 Nov 1889, the son of Sir Godfrey Lagden, KCMG

Educated at Marlborough School from 1903 to 1908 (Prefect; XI 1906-08; Racquet Rep 1907-08; XV 1906-07; Hockey XI, 1906-08, Captain; and Fives) and at Oriel College, Oxford from 1908 to 1912 (Univ Crickett XI, 1909-12; Rugby XV 1909-11; Hockey 1909-12, Racquets, 1909; and Rugby International).

Played for England vs. Scotland in the first of the Calcutta Cup matches at Twickenham.

Assistant Master at Harrow School from 1912-1914

Joined Supernumerary Army Reserve in 1912

2nd Lt, 6th Bn, KRRC, Aug 1914

Went to France in Feb 1915

Appointed Major, 4th Bn, KRRC in late Feb 1915

Despatches, France, 1915

KIA at St Eloi on 6 Mar 1915 while leading D Company, 4th Bn, KRRC in an attack of the German trenches.

Sources: Oxford University Roll of Service; Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Volume I; Marlborough College Register 1843-1933; Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Volume I; Rugby Football Internationals Roll of Honour.

Edmund Morton Mansel-Playdell, Dorsets, attached 3rd Worcesters

Born at Bangalore, India on 23 Dec 1886, the son of Col. E. M. Mansel-Playdell, late 12th Lancers

Educated at Wellington College from 1900 to 1903 and at Sherborne School from 1903 to 1905

2nd Lieut, Militia 1904

2nd Lieut, 3rd Bn Dorsets, Aug 1914

Went to France, Jan 1915

attd. 3rd Worcesters, Jan 1915

KIA at Kemmel on 12 March 1915 while leading his platoon in an attack of the German trenches.

Sources: The Sherborne Register, Supplement 1900-1921; The Sherborne Register, Third Edition, 1550-1937; Old Shirburnian Navy & Army List 1914-1919; De Ruvigney's Roll of Honour, Vol 1, Pt 1; Wellington College Register 1859-1962; Wellington College Register 1859-1923.

Walter Evelyn Parke, 2nd Btn DLI

Born on 27 Jul 1891, the son of Lt Col Laurence Parke and Evelyn Jane Aelfrida Parke, the daughter of T. Evans Lees, Woodfield, Oldham

Educated at Winchester College from 1905 to 1909 (Lords XI 1907-09, Captain) and at RMC, Sandhurst

2nd Lieut, 2nd Bn, Durham L I, 16 Aug 1911

Lieut, 5 Aug 14

Went to France on Sept 1914

Mentioned in Despatches, Sir John French, 14 Jan 15

KIA at Hazebrouck on 13 Oct 1914 while acting as a machine gun officer.

Sources: Winchester College 1884-1934, a Register; Wykhamist War Service Roll, Sixth and Final Editon; Fifty Years of Sport, Eton, Harrow and Winchester; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume 1; De Ruvigney's Roll of Honour, Vol 1, Pt 1.

John Aubrey Parke, 9th Btn Rifle Brigade, formerly DLI

Born on 6 Oct 1892, the son of Lt Col Laurence Parke and Evelyn Jane Aelfrida Parke, the daughter of T. Evans Lees, Woodfield, Oldham

Educated at Winchester College 1906 to 1911 (Lords XI, 1910-11, OTH CI, 1910) and at Oriel College, Oxford in 1911

2nd Lieut., 19th Bn, Durham Lt Infy

Later, 9th Bn, Rifle Brigade

Once wounded

KIA at Loos on 11 Oct 15

Sources: Winchester College 1884-1934, a Register; Wykhamist War Service Roll, Sixth and Final Editon; Fifty Years of Sport, Eton, Harrow and Winchester; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Osmond Bartle Wordsworth-Masters, 21 Company MGC

Born on 17 May 87, the fifth son of Rev. Prebendary Christopher Wordsworth and Mary, daughter of Rev. Andrewes Reeve, Vicar of Kimmeridge

Educated at Winchester College from 1899 to 1905 (School Praetor, 1904; School Exhibitoner) and Trinity College, Cambridge from 1906 to 1909 (BA, 1909; 1 Cl Trip, Pt II, 1910)

Lecturer Selwyn College, 1911; Lecturer Trinity College, 1914.

Saved from the wreck of the SS Lusitania

2nd Lt, Oxford and Bucks

21st Company, MGC

Killed in action on 2 April 1917, at Henin sur Cojeul near Arras.

Author of "A Happy Exchange" 1914

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; Winchester College 1884-1934, a Register; Wykhamist War Service Roll, Sixth and Final Editon.

Thanks Dick!

Leaves me with a bit of a mystery as to what unit he was in between the RA and the ASC - there is a story he went into the Tank Corps and another that he might have been in the Black Watch! I'll have to keep digging.

Much obliged to you.

Dave

Hello Dick

Thanks very much for your help regarding Lt Col H Horan Brown, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Dave: The London Gazette entry for his appointment as a Lieut (QM), RASC states "late 2nd Lt. RA (TA)" which would seem to imply that he had no active service as an officer after he left the 58th Medium Brigade, RA (TA) in 1926 or 1927. The October 1943 Army List shows him as a Lieut (QM) in the RASC with a date of rank of 17 Feb 41. The August 1946 Army List shows him as a War Substantive Captain (QM) RASC effective 17 Feb 44 and that he was released from active service as an Hon. Captain, RASC prior to July 1946.

Dick, thanks again for all your efforts. Curiouser and curiouser as the saying goes!

Dick

it's been a while so could I trouble you for one more as I am very close to finishing a website for the fallen and those who served from a local prep school and have discovered from a nephew of this chap that he didn't go to Wellington as I thought but apparently he went to Cheltenham College which I am hoping is part of your considerable collection and hoping he's in there

He was Graham Lowe Reid and I reckon he arrives there circa 1906 and leaves in 1912 as Head Boy. 6 years looks a bit long to me so those dates are not of course set in stone but that's the rough dates.

Hoping you have it and thanks as always

Regards John

John (Hambo):

Graham Lowe Reid

Born on 4 March 1894, the son of Russell Belfrage Reid, Esq. of 1 Vernon Gardens, Brighton

Educated at Cheltenham College from September 1908 to December 1912 (Scholar; Football XV, 1911-12; Racquet Pair, 1911; Champion, 1912; Prefect)

Gentleman Cadet, RMA, Woolwich from 1912 to 1914 (Sword of Honour)

Commissioned Royal Engineers, 1914

Served in the Great War (Captain, 1917, Acting Major

Served in France from 1915-1918

Resigned in 1919

Went into business

In 1927 he lived at Yewtye, Pilgrim's Way, Reigate, Surrey

Source: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927.

Dear Dick,

Once again, your help has been invaluable. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...

Dick,

Thank you for your invauable help, and I need to call again upon your good offices.

A new treasure trove of names of players from my rugby club has emerged from a recently-discovered scrapbook - after the publication of my book and jjust when I thought there could be no more. Revised edition anon...!

One is IK or JK Millar of Rugby School. (club record has JK, but CWGC has IK - I and J are often interchangeable in Edwardian handwriting).

I know you have the Rugby Roll. May I beg a look-up please,

best wishes

Stephen

2nd Lieutenant Ian Keith Millar

Born on 17 June 1887, the fourth son of Henry Edward Millar, director of Messrs. William Millar & Co., and his wife, Ada Margaret of Heathdown, Hampstead, Hamps.

Educated at Rugby School from 1900 to 1905 (Head of House in 1904; Scholar, VI)

After school he studied in France and Germany

Then joined Messrs. William Millar & Co and became a director in 1911

Joined the 10th Royal Fusiliers as a Private in August 1914 and went to France in July, 1915

Returned home in October 1915 and commissioned in the 10th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment

After training at Cambridge, Kilworth and Dover he returned to the front in May 1916

On 29 July 1916 at the age of 29 he was killed instantly while leading the first line in an attack on a German machine-gun nest near Delville Wood

Buried at night where he fell between the two lines

Sources: Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, volume III; Rugby School Registers, Annotated, 1892-1921.

post-765-0-24846000-1366481539_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Wonderful, as always. Have found him elsewhere spelled as Ion (an eccentric spelling, but suspect some Celtic roots here) but new data here. Seems to ber related to the club founder Charles Hoyer Millar.

On the offchance do you also have an ST Swaby (Rugby c. late 1890s to 1900-ish)?. He may have been confused by the Hon Sec in 1918 with an ST Swaby who died at 21 in 1918 and is on CWGC.so trying to learn more to eliminate/confirm facts.

best wishes

Stephen