Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Can you please look up Geoffrey Selwyn Barrow, OBE in Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War.

He was born in 1891 - the son of General Sir Edmund George Barrow and Marion Letitia, nee Story - and died of influenza on 26 December 1918 in Paris.

Many thanks

Paul: Sorry, but I have nothing on Ampleforth College.

Captain Geoffrey Selwyn Barrow, OBE, RFA

Born on 17 Jun 91, the third, and youngest, son of Gen. Sir Edmund George Barrow, GCB,, GCSI, Peshawar North-West Frontier of Indian and his wife, Marion Letitia

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 1905 to 1910 where he was on the VI and was Head of House

Was also a Scholar at St. John's College, Oxford (2nd Class Mods, 1912; 3rd Lit. Hum., 1914; member of Debating Society; Vice Pres, Essay Society)

Before the war he was preparing for diplomacy

Went to France in November 1914 as Interpreter, Cyclist Corps, 8th Division and served in the trenches at Neuve Chapelle

In July 1915 he transferred to the 3rd Battery, RFA in the 8th Division

Wounded at Morval on the Somme in Nov 1916

Appointed Staff Capt, RA, HQs, 40th Division, RFA in early 1917 and served with it at Bourlon Wood and Cambrai

In March 1918 he was appointed GSO, 3rd Grade, General Headquarters

Died in a hospital at Paris, France of influenza on 26 December 1918 at the age of 27

OBE, 1 Jan 1919

MID, 7 Nov 17 and 8 Nov 18

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Memorials of Rugbeians, Vol. VII; St. John's College Biographical Register 1875-1919.

post-765-0-09440200-1405547867_thumb.jpg

I'm so grateful to you for all the information re Geoffrey Selwyn Barrow and it's lovely to have a picture of him. (Geoffrey married Clothilde Sejalon in June 1917 and he is buried in the Sejalon family tomb in Lyon)

Can you please look up another relation, a distant cousin, - this time in the Eton Roll of Honour?

Lieutenant Sir Richard William Levinge, 1st Life Guards, born 12 July 1878 on the Isle of Wight and killed by a snipers bullet in the trenches at Zandvoorde on 24 October 1914.

I already have his entries in de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour and The Bond of Sacrifice and am hoping there may be additional information and a better quality picture of him in the Eton Roll.

Very best wishes

Dick,

I wonder if you have anything on Bradfield College, if so I'm looking for Alan Robert (Walter) Bell who was there 1897-1903

And Maurice Hemmant and Henry Arthur Poland who were at Tonbridge School?

Grateful for your help

Matt

helpjpl: Below is what I have on Lt Sir Richard William Levinge from Eton School Register Part VI: 1889-1899:

"Levinge, Sir Richard William. 10th Bt., Elder son of Sir W H Levinge, 9th Bt., of Knockdrin Castle. At Eton from 1892 to 1896. Lieut., 8th Hussars 1900-4; served in S African War 1899-1902. 2nd Lieut. S. Ireland Imp. Yeomanry since 1905. Married Irene Marguerite ('Irene Desmond'), daughter of J. H. C. Pix of Bradford."

I do not have a photo of him.

Matt B:

Pte. Alan Robert (Walter) Bell

Born in April 1885

Student at Bradfield College from Sept 1897 to April 1903 (Prefect, 1902)

Employed with Royal Exchange Assurance from 1903-1910

Went to Canada and employed by Bradfield Ranch, near Calgary from 1910-1914

In British Columbia from 1912-1914

Enlisted as Pte, 30th Canadian Infantry, 1914

Transferred to 7th Battalion, Can. Infy., 1915

Killed in action at Festubert, 1915.

Source: Bradfield College Register, 1924.

Lieut. Maurice Hemmant

Eighth and youngest son of William Hemmant, JP of Bulimba, Sevenoaks

At Tonbridge School from May,1898 to Easter, 1906 (House Praepostor, Sept 1904; School Praepostor, Jan 1906; in XI and XV in 1906.

In 1906 went to Pembroke College, Cambridge (Math Tripos, 1909; represented Cambridge in Golf, 1908; College XV)

After Cambridge went to Straits Settlements and took up rubber planting

Returned to the UK in August 1914

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., 5th Bn, Rifle Brigade (SR), 15 May 1915

Served in France from Nov. 1915 to Jan. 1916, with the 1st Bn, Rifle Bde, 11th Bde, 4th Division in the trenches near Serre.

Invalided home from Jan 1916 to April 1917 and served with 5th Bn, Rifle Brigade and as Bde Bombing Officer, 2nd Thames & Medway Bde

Appointed Temp. Captain on 7 Nov 1916

Temp. Lieut., 10th Bn, 10 March 1917

Returned to France in April 1917 and served with 10th Bn, Rifle Brigade, 59th Bde, 20th Division during the Battle of Ypres

Killed in action on the Steenbeek, near Langemarek on 14 August 1917 when, with two other men, he was considerably in advance of his company and was shot by a sniper.

Sources: The Register of Tonbridge School from 1861 to 1945; Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914 to 1919; Pembroke College, Cambridge, War List 1914-1918.

Lieut. Henry Arthur Poland

Born 1893, the elder son of Henry Poland of Charlesville and Sunny Bank, The Drive, Sevenoaks

Educated at Tonbridge School from May 1906 to Easter 1910 (served in OTC)

After school went to Marburg, Germany and St. Lo, France

Then joined his father in business

Joined the Inns of Court OTC as a Pte, in B Company (Regt. No. 663) on 19 Nov 1912 and served with it until August 1914.

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, R West Kent Regiment, SR on 15 Aug 1914

Joined the 1st Bn of the regiment in France in December 1914

Promoted Lieutenant, 23 March 1915

From 7 February 1915 to 15 April 1915 he was hospitalized at Rouen with influenza and scarlet fever.

One of the officers who led his battalion in the charge at HIll 60 on 17 April 1915

At Ypres, on 18 April 1915 he went forward to repel a fresh enemy attack and was killed instantaneously by a hand grenade.

Sources: The Register of Tonbridge School from 1861 to 1945; Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914 to 1919; The Inns of Court OTC during the Great War.

post-765-0-75805800-1406509171_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-97402500-1406509189_thumb.jpe

helpjpl: Below is what I have on Lt Sir Richard William Levinge from Eton School Register Part VI: 1889-1899:

"Levinge, Sir Richard William. 10th Bt., Elder son of Sir W H Levinge, 9th Bt., of Knockdrin Castle. At Eton from 1892 to 1896. Lieut., 8th Hussars 1900-4; served in S African War 1899-1902. 2nd Lieut. S. Ireland Imp. Yeomanry since 1905. Married Irene Marguerite ('Irene Desmond'), daughter of J. H. C. Pix of Bradford."

I do not have a photo of him.

Thank you very much.

Dick

I wonder if you have anything on Francis George Carnell who was at Harrow? He was born 1869 and died at Gallipoli on 10th August 1915

Thanks

Matt

Matt: I can find no one by the name Francis George Carnell in the Harrow Register or in Harrow Memorials. Dick Flory

Matt - CWGC has him private 1004 in 4th Bn, AIF, Died of Wounds, presumably from Gallipoli, at sea on 10 Aug 1915 aged 22 years. That suggests your 1869 birth date may need some re-examination..

Thanks for looking Dick.

MBrockway, I think the cwgc reference is to panel 22 and not his age. He had previously served in the Cape and this is the right age, though he shaved about ten years off when he enlisted.

Thanks for looking Dick.

MBrockway, I think the cwgc reference is to panel 22 and not his age. He had previously served in the Cape and this is the right age, though he shaved about ten years off when he enlisted.

Ooops - quite correct. My only excuse in mitigation is that I was doing the digging on my smartphone on a tiny screen! I'll delete my original post.

Hi Dick

I would be grateful for details of Charles Noel Newton who I believe was born c1884 and was educated at Eton.

Thanks

Dave

Hello Dick

Please if you have a moment would check your Repton records for the three Wilkinson brothers? They were:

Alan Machin Wilkinson, 1891 -1973, DSO with bar, Hampshire Regt /RFC fighter pilot, went to Oriel College Oxford after Repton according to one online source;

John Graham Wilkinson, 1895-1918 Hampshire Regt, Dunsterforce in Persia, definitely went to Repton as he is on their roll of honour but I have as yet been unable to get any further details from the school,

and Geoffrey Miles Wilkinson 1898 -1917, Duke of Cornwall's LI /RFC fighter pilot KIA France - NOT on the Repton roll of honour so may have been elsewhere but I'd like to be sure.

They were all born in Eastbourne but the family lived in Ealing by the time they were at public school.

As always, I'll be grateful for anything you may find!

Liz

Dave:

Captain Charles Noel Newton, MC, Grenadier Guards

The son of C S Noel of Catmose Cottage, Oakham, Rutland; South View, Newmarket; and 23 Chesham St., Belgrave Square, SW.

At Eton from 1897 to 1901 and at University College, Oxford

2nd Lieut., Leicesters Yeomanry from 1902 to 1906

In 1906 commissioned in the 2nd Life Guards

Lieutenant, 1906

Captain, 1910

Served as Captain, Grenadier Guards, Spec. Res. in France

Gazetted Military Cross

Married Drina Christine, daughter of H. Vercesi of Stradella, Milan, Italy

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Roll of Service, Oxford University

Liz:

Alan Machin Wilkinson, DSO/Bar, Hampshire Regt /RFC

Born on 21 November 1891

Educated at Repton from 1906 to 1910 (Football XI) and at Oriel College, Oxford (BA, 1913)

Association Football Blue, 1914

2nd Lieut., 9th Hampshire Regt., March 1914

Seconded to the RFC in Jun 1915

Served in France from Feb 1916 to Oct 1916 and from Mar 1917 to Sept 1917

Captain, June 1916

Wing Commander, RAF, March 1918

Major, (A/Lt. Col.), RAF, April 1918

Demobilized in April 1919

DSO (20 Oct 16) with Bar (26 May 17)

Twice Mentioned in Despatches

Sources: Repton School War Register 1914-1919; Repton College Register, 1922; Oxford University Roll of Service.

John Graham Wilkinson, Hampshire Regt.

Born 22 Nov 1894, the son of H W Wilkinson, 14 Creffield Road, Ealing Common

Educated at Repton from Jan 1910 to Dec 1912

Joined the Inns of Court OTC on 14 Sept 1914

Gazetted 2nd Lieut., 2/4th Hamps. Regt. (TF) 11 Dec 1914

Served in India from 1914-1916

Lieut., June 1916

In Mesopotamia from 1916 to 1917

Once wounded

Killed in action at Resht, Persia when advancing to Baku on 20 July 1918

Sources: Repton School War Register 1914-1919; Repton College Register, 1922; The Inns of Court OTC during the Great War.

Geoffrey Miles Wilkinson 1898 -1917,- Not at Repton School.

Thank you very much indeed, Dick, that's most helpful.

I am now trying to guess where the Wilkinsons sent their youngest son - it's impossible to imagine the influences and thought processes at this far distance! A number of major public schools have been tried. I also tried their father's school, King's College School Wimbledon, and drew a blank. They obviously weren't worried about keeping them in London, or they wouldn't have sent them to Repton.

If you or anyone reading this thread happens to come across Geoffrey Miles Wilkinson in another school register, please do tell me!

Thanks again for your untiring efforts.

Liz

PS Just in case anyone needs this in future - I've now checked Geoffrey Miles Wilkinson's record at the National archives and it turns out he didn't go to school at all after prep school, despite being fit and bright - he had private tutors and then I think a crammer for Sandhurst in 1915.

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Dick

Many thanks - info much appreciated.

Dave

Dick,

You have done it again; hit the bullseye. Thank you so much. I do have a few more requests, if you're up for it?

My father-in-law was a driver with 235 Bde, RFA, 47th London Div.

Is it ok to use the photo in an article I am writing for the WFA?

Just out of interest, my book contains the stories of the following RA officers:

Capt. Thomas John Allen, RFA

Capt. Thomas Winwood, 99 Bde, RFA

2nd Lt Ernest Stebbing Collier, 9 Bde RGA

2nd Lt Richard Markbarn Chadwick, 11 Siege Bty

Capt. William John Whale, 163 Siege Bty.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

Brian,

realise this is an old post, but am interested in Capt. William John Whale of 163 Siege Bty, RGA. My grandfather served in this unit, and I've just returned from Belguim whre I visted the graves of the six men who fell in the Salient. Is your book still work in progress, as i would be most interested to have a copy?

best wishes

Dora

Dora: It was gunnerBill who wrote the post you quote and also he was the author of the book to which you refer. The book is Dorchester Remembers the Great War by Brian Bates published by Roving Press in 2012. Captain Whale is discussed on pages 170 and 171.

Hello DIck

Please would you look up another Repton man?

He is Reginald Douglas Berry, Lt, Yorks and Lancs, died aged 22 on 12.5.1917. He appears on the 1911 census at Repton and should have been there c. 1908 -1913, but I cannot see his name in the picture of their WW1 Roll of Honour online.

I'd contact the school but still have no reply re the early query about the Wilkinsons which you have now answered - though they may have photographs so I won't give up - so am bothering you again instead. (Being efficient and helpful only gets you more work!)

Liz

Hi Dick

Just to add to the flood of Eton requests would you mind looking up the register (I have the roll of service giving house and unit but only initials for the names!) for J.O. Christian who served with a South African unit as far I can tell. I would say he arrived at Eton in January 1904 and left in 1906.

Also John C Broadbent (Vetinary Corps) probably arriving September 1906 and left Eton in 1908

Both survived. I have no information for parents etc so anything would be good to help complete the roll of service for a local prep school

Many thanks John

Liz: Glad to be of assistance. Below is what I can tell you about your man:

Lt. Reginald Douglas Berry

Born 1 June 1894 the son of W. H. Berry, Brincliffe House, Brincliffe, Sheffield

At Repton School from Sept. 1908 to July 1912

Enlisted as Private, 12th Yorks & Lancs Regt in Sept., 1914

Commissioned 2nd Lieut. in Nov 1914

Promoted Lieutenant, May 1915

Served in Egypt from December 1915 and in Salonika from March 1916

Once mentioned in despatches

Killed in action, 12 May 1917

Sources: Repton School Register, 1922; Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919.

Hambro: Below is what I have on your two men:

Jack Owen Christian

Son of O. S. Christian of Port Elizebeth, South Africa

At Eton from 1904 to 1906

During the Great War he served as Corporal, Southern Rifles in Cape Colony, South Africa

His address was Kragga Kama, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Source: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909.

John Cresswell Broadbent

The son of J. C. Broadbent of Lascelles Hall, near Huddersfield

At Eton from 1906 to 1908

After leaving school he went into farming

During the Great War he served as a Sergeant in the Army Veterinary Corps in the Balkans, Egypt and Palestine

His address was The Luce, Steens Bridge, near Leominster, Herts

Source: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909.

Liz: Glad to be of assistance. Below is what I can tell you about your man:

Lt. Reginald Douglas Berry

Born 1 June 1894 the son of W. H. Berry, Brincliffe House, Brincliffe, Sheffield

At Repton School from Sept. 1908 to July 1912

Enlisted as Private, 12th Yorks & Lancs Regt in Sept., 1914

Commissioned 2nd Lieut. in Nov 1914

Promoted Lieutenant, May 1915

Served in Egypt from December 1915 and in Salonika from March 1916

Once mentioned in despatches

Killed in action, 12 May 1917

Sources: Repton School Register, 1922; Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919.

Thank you very much, Dick.

I am grateful to you for confirming he was there.

EDIT I have just found him on the school's commemorative plaque under the year 1908 - so contrary to the caption the dates were for starting at Repton, not leaving!

http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/repton-school.htm

EDIT For the record - it is not correct that he was in Salonika. The battalion went to France after Egypt.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne