Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hello Dick, another request for my Newbury research:

Gerald Morton Stamford, Lancing College (1906-1912).

In checking whether you had Lancing books I notice you have Christ's Hospital too. I have several who went there (off to look them up).

Okay - if you're willing Dick, some Newbury lads who went to Christ's Hospital:

Alfred John Aldridge

Charles Edward Bravant

William Edward Crocker

Morton Robert Bridges Liddle

Ellis Bertie Pounds

Lawrence Charles Pratt

In hope,

Phil

Phil Wood wrote: another request for my Newbury research: Gerald Morton Stamford, Lancing College (1906-1912).

2nd Lieut. Gerald Morton Stamford, 2nd Wiltshire Regt.

Born on 23 March 1894, the son of HM Stamford of Newbury

At Lancing College from Jan 1906 to Apr 1912

Before the war was a fruit farmer at Rudgwick

Lived at The LImes, Andover Road, Newbury

KIA near Arras on 15 June 1915

The photo is from the second-named source

Sources: The Lancing Register 1848-1912; The Lancing Roll of Honour 1914-1919.

post-765-0-96810500-1428633277_thumb.jpg

Phil Wood wrote: "some Newbury lads who went to Christ's Hospital"

Unfortunately my copy of Christ's Hospital Roll of Service 1914-1916 only shows the regiment served and dates at the school and only those who served 1914-19116.

Alfred John Aldridge: Royal Warwickshire, 1908-12

Charles Edward Bravant: 23rd London 1905-09

William Edward Crocker: not listed

Morton Robert Bridges Liddle: Lieut., R.N. 1906-08

Ellis Bertie Pounds: London Scottish, 1908-11

Lawrence Charles Pratt: not listed

As ever you're a star Dick - many thanks.

Crocker and Pratt aren't on Christ's war memorial so I'm not surprised they aren't on a roll of honour. Pratt's death in Nov 1921 was attributed to his wartime service by his family and he is on the parish church memorial, but not the main town memorial - an odd case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Dick - yet another call on your generosity!

Gordon Noel Balfour Swinley, Clifton College (Lt KOSB kia 23/6/15)

He also attended the 'United Services College, Windsor', which I assume to be the United Services College, Devon or the Imperial Services College, WIndsor - though it may have been both as he probably was a pupil when the latter absorbed the former in 1906.

Anything you have from these three schools would be gratefully received,

In hope - Phil

Hello Dick, something of a long shot but do you have anything on this man? Sam Gerald BARDER, KIA 30th September 1916 whilst a 2nd Lieutenant in the East Surrey Regiment. He is listed on the University of London OTC Roll of War Service. Ideally trying to locate a photo of him. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Wood wrote: "Gordon Noel Balfour Swinley, Clifton College (Lt KOSB kia 23/6/15)"

Lt Gordon Noel Balfour Swinley

Son of G H Swinley, Mijika, Assam

At Clifton College from Sept 1899 to July 1902

Lt, KOSB

KIA June 1915

Source: Clifton College Register 1862-1925.

Andrew Upton wrote: "something of a long shot but do you have anything on this man? Sam Gerald BARDER, KIA 30th September 1916 whilst a 2nd Lieutenant in the East Surrey Regiment. He is listed on the University of London OTC Roll of War Service. Ideally trying to locate a photo of him."

Andrew: I do not have anything on him other than what is in the U London OTC Roll.

Andrew Upton wrote: "something of a long shot but do you have anything on this man? Sam Gerald BARDER, KIA 30th September 1916 whilst a 2nd Lieutenant in the East Surrey Regiment. He is listed on the University of London OTC Roll of War Service. Ideally trying to locate a photo of him."

Andrew: I do not have anything on him other than what is in the U London OTC Roll.

Ok, thanks for looking.

Phil Wood wrote: "Gordon Noel Balfour Swinley, Clifton College (Lt KOSB kia 23/6/15)"

Lt Gordon Noel Balfour Swinley

Son of G H Swinley, Mijika, Assam

At Clifton College from Sept 1899 to July 1902

Lt, KOSB

KIA June 1915

Source: Clifton College Register 1862-1925.

Many thanks Dick - I assume this means no luck with United Services College or Imperial Services College?

Phil: Sorry, my wife interrupted me while I was doing Swinley and when I came back to it I forgot to look him up in the USC/ISC Register. Here is what it has:

Swinley, Lieut. Gordon Noel Balfour

Born on 26 July 1890, the son of F G H Swinley, Esq., tea planter, Assam

Educated at the United Services College from Sept 1905 to Jul 1908 (Coll. no. 1,273); 'A' House; XV 1907-08; Gym VIII, 1908; School IV, 1908;

Went out to India

Lieut., KOSB

1914-15 Star, BWM; VM

KIA at Festubert, France in 1915

His younger brother, Cmdr. Roland Frith Balfour Swinley, RN also attended USC and the RN College, Osborne in 1909; Comdr. 31 Dec 1933; in Command of the Destroyer Basilisk on 8 Aug 1932.

Source: O. U. S. C. Register, 1936.

Phil: Sorry, my wife interrupted me while I was doing Swinley and when I came back to it I forgot to look him up in the USC/ISC Register. Here is what it has:

Swinley, Lieut. Gordon Noel Balfour

Born on 26 July 1890, the son of F G H Swinley, Esq., tea planter, Assam

Educated at the United Services College from Sept 1905 to Jul 1908 (Coll. no. 1,273); 'A' House; XV 1907-08; Gym VIII, 1908; School IV, 1908;

Went out to India

Lieut., KOSB

1914-15 Star, BWM; VM

KIA at Festubert, France in 1915

His younger brother, Cmdr. Roland Frith Balfour Swinley, RN also attended USC and the RN College, Osborne in 1909; Comdr. 31 Dec 1933; in Command of the Destroyer Basilisk on 8 Aug 1932.

Source: O. U. S. C. Register, 1936.

Thanks yet again Dick - much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dick, could you look up for me please - The Hon Robert Bruce, Captain in the A&S H.

He was at Eton College, Eton from 1893-97. He died 26.08.14.

Many thanks

KB

Captain Hon. Robert Bruce (Master of Burleigh)

Born at Edinburgh on 25 Sept 1880, the eldest son of the Rt Hon Sir Alexander Hugh, 6th Lord Balfour of Burleigh, of Kennet House, Alloa, N.B.

Educated at Horris Hill and at Eton from 1893 to 1897

2nd Lieut., Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 1898

Lieut, 1903

Served in South African War, 1900-1902 (QSA with 3 clasps, KSA with 2 clasps) with the 4th Battalion, A & S Highlanders initially but transferred to the 1st Battalion in April 1900.

After the S African War he served with the 2nd Battalion in India and South Africa

Superintendent, Military Prison and Detention Barracks, Stirling from 1909-1910

Attached to the Egyption Army in 1910

KIA at Le Cateau on 26 August 1914.

There is a photo of him in the last-named source.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VI, 1889-1899; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX; Bond of Sacrifice, vol. 1.

Many thanks , much appreciated. KB

Hello Dick

Will you please check to see if Henry John Raymond Brierly was at Aldenham School ? He was born in 1897.

Thanks

Hello Dick. Me again. Could you please check Radley College as well for Henry John Raymond Brierly. I just came across another lead to where he may have been educated.

Thanks

Myrtle

Myrtle: No one with the surname 'Brierly' in the Aldenham School Register. HJR Brierly is not in the Radley School Register, but his son is:

Brierly, Timothy Graham

Son of Maj H J R Brierly, MC

At Radley School from 1940 to 1944

Commissioned into the Coldstream Guards

Captain during WWII

Student King's College, Cambridge

Colonel Service short course

Admin. Officer, Tanganyika from 1950-52

Admin. Officer, North Nigeria from 1951

H. M. Foreign Service 1958-61

Just found H J R Brierly! He was at Eton.

Henry John Raymond Brierly, MC, Coldstream Guards and Staff

Son of J S Brierly of Delrow House, Aldenham, Herts

At Eton from 1909 to 1914

RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned in Coldstream Guards in 1915

Lieutenant, 1915

Captain, 1924

Served in France (MC and French Croix de Guerre)

Married Margaret Bethia, daughter of E. L. Sanderson of Elstree, Herts

In 1919 he was living at The Orchard, Eversley, Basinstroke, Hants

Source: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919

I imagine that you have seen the photos of him and the write up by his daughter at: http://www.kcworldwar1.org.uk/content/new-contributions/marigold-brierly

Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you very much Dick.

Yes I have seen the photographs. While volunteering at K & C Local Studies, listing the WW1 entries from the local newspaper, I noticed the information which had been put up on the website re. H.J.R. Brierly and thought I would check out some of the details to expand on his story.

His son Timothy Brierly was one of the Founders of Oxfam's African aid programme.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/community/obituaries/obits/8800377.TIM_BRIERLY__A_charity_adventurer/?ref=arc

Regards

Maggie (Myrtle)

• 2 months later...

Hello Dick, yet another request for my Newbury research:

I am looking for information on Lionel Somerset, who seems to have attended Cranleigh School - he survived the war (two of his brothers didn't), but I'd love to confirm he attended Cranleigh, and. if he did, the years he was there.

If he did then perhaps one or more of his brothers also went to Cranleigh? They were Francis Henry (Frank), Edmund Edgerley, Edward Owen and Burchall.

In hope,

Phil

Dick,

Do you have by any chance a Roll of Honour, Register or similar for Wilson's Grammar School, Camberwell?

Another topic ( Possible photo of 2/Lt AJ BAILEY, 17/KRRC) has linked an unmarked photograph with 2/Lt Alfred John BAILEY, 17/KRRC, KiA 03 Sep 1916, son of Alfred James BAILEY and Ada Emmeline BAILEY of 120 Grove Lane, Camberwell.

He was born c. 1897 and probably left the school between 1913 and 1915.

His KRRC obit states he was "a fine athlete at his school," so he is likely to get a mention. A photograph would be marvellous as it would allow us to confirm the other photo beyond reasonable doubt.

Many thanks!

Mark

Phil and Mark: Unfortunately I do not have anything on Cranleigh School or Wilson's Grammar School. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks for taking the time to check Dick - much appreciated.