Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Phil: PM me your email address and I will send you a high resolution photo of Salway. Regards, Dick Flory

Charles Horace Levinge

Lived at Brucot House, Blunsdon, Highworth, Wilts

At Felsted School from Sept 1900-July 1901

Served in Australian Imperial Force, 1914-1919

Once wounded.

Farming in Australia

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950.

Reginald Augustus Levinge

Lived at Brucot House, Blunsdon, Highworth, Wilts

At Felsted School from Sept 1900-July 1901

Served in South African War (Middlesex Militia)

Formerly Lieut, Wexford Militia

Farmed in Queensland from 1903-1914

During Great War, Captain, RFA

Served with 6th Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA; W/6th Trench Mortar Battery, RFA; 42nd Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA and Divisional Trench Mortar Officer, 6th Division.

Mentioned in despatches.

After the war was a poultry farmer

Died 1953

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950; Alumni Felstediensis January 1900-September 1970; various war diaries.

Gerald Henry Levinge

At Felsted School from Jan 1901-Dec 1901

Australian I. F.

Killed in action in France, 5 April 1918

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950.

Bernard George Levinge

At Felsted School from Jan 1901 to July 1901

Lived at Homefield, Miles, Queensland

Farmer

There is no mention of Thomas Vere Levinge.

Many thanks for all your help during the past 12 months. Much appreciated.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

JP

Dick

I have been guilty of a failure to thank you for your reply last month to my request for information on A.F. Blakiston, RFA.

I now offer an apology and send best wishes for a very happy Christmas.

Daggers

Daggers: No problem - I hadn't even noticed! Have a great New Year! Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Forgive me if I've missed it but have you details for the High (Grammar)School, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire?

Regards,

Bob

Bob, noticed a request on dick flory thread re newcastle under lyme grammar school is there anything in particular you are researching from the area, Geoff

Geoff,

That's kind of you to contact me. A very old friend of mine attended the school some forty years ago and was interested in who was on the school memorial (Just over 90 names, I believe). I knew of T E Hulme and these -

COWARD-Lieutenant-HENRY--1st Bn.-Border Regiment----20/04/1917-37-Son of Henry Coward, M.A., Mus. Doc., of Sheffield; husband of Margaret Coward (nee Summerscales), of Rockfield, Keighley. Master at High School, Newcastle-under-Lyme---WARLINCOURT HALTE BRITISH CEMETERY, SAULTY-VIII. J. 12

BEECH-Captain-JOHN--Commanding "I" Sound Ranging Sect. 4th Field Survey Coy.-Royal Engineers-formerly 10th Bn.-South Staffordshire Regt.--12/05/1918-30-Son of John and Kate Beech, of Newcastle-under-Lyme; husband of Anna Nellie Beech, of 65, Eltisley Avenue, Cambridge---GWALIA CEMETERY-II. F. 24

-RUSSELL-Lieutenant-SIDNEY HENRY ERNEST--9th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----20/07/1918-22-Son of Herbert W. H. Russell, K.B.E., Legion of Honour France), and Lucie M. Russell, of 4, Lonsdale Villas, Mannamead, Plymouth, England. Native of Standish, Gloucestershire-M M--BORRE BRITISH CEMETERY-II. E. 3

but I was trying to find a definitive list, hence the query,

kind regards,

Bob

bob, this is the list of High School names within the Newcastle under lyme staffordshire roll of honour of of interest, Geoff

James lionel bagguley

Gawain Murdoch bell

Frank dunn Bennett

Reginald walley bennion

Henry leigh bibby

Leslie charles billington

george owen birch

Frederick Harvey blackhurst

Eustace clement bladen

Oswals William boddington

Charles William butterfield

Charles joseph Cadman

Edward Campbell

Ernest William carr

Joseph William coe

Arnold statham coulton

Henry coward

Leonard Gordon Crimes

John cecil Webster deane

Edward holden edge

ernest torre favell

Cuthbert forsbrooke

John Hubert goss

Artur fairbrother green

Edward Norman grimwade

Ernest Edward grimwade

Leonard Richard grimwade

Sidney Arthur grimwade

Hubert Llewellyn Gwynne

Alan george hammersley

Horace Neville Hartley

William cecil Hartley

Roland stuart hebeler

Frederick Horace hill

Harold William hines

Walter leigh holdcroft

William rawlinson Garside Holland

Charles fifield holtom

Ronald Baskerville holmes

Thomas ernest hulme

George Washington Johnson

Reginald tavenor Johnson

Sydney charles jones

Leslie tiel Jordon

Major William Frederick leek

Thomas Edmund lewty

Charles muncaster lovatt

John Edmund lowe

Francis james marshall

Richard Bartlett mellor

Percy mellor

Henry george mountford

Ronald donal neil

Thomas rocliffe Nicholls

William eric Norris

Norman Andrew pidduck

Phillip keith powell

Robert keal powell

Tom ford rathbone

Heriot baker roe

Arthur montague rundall

Frank Arthur salt

Alfred george saunders

Thomas Copeland savage

Geoffrey Lawrence scott

Alwynne twyford scrivener

John shufflebotham

Henry Arthur simms

Ralph twist snape

Everard Nixon Buckworth herne soame

Arthur William steventon

Frederick guy stringer

Robert swettnham

Arthur colin thacker

Henry allen tudor

Cecil Wellesley ward

John james weaver

William howard Webster

Arthur felix Wedgwood

Cyril bridges wedgewood

Samuel brammer wilton

Reginald harry wood

Walter wareen woodforde

Geoff,

That's brilliant, thank you very much. I make that 83 names which is nearly all the 91 stated as being on the school memorial (I will double-check that). Now to identify them all,

kind regards,

Bob

Geoff,

That's brilliant, thank you very much. I make that 83 names which is nearly all the 91 stated as being on the school memorial (I will double-check that). Now to identify them all,

kind regards,

Bob

Bob

As you would expect, many of these were with the various battalions of the North Staffords - I think at least 28, of which the majority were 5th Battalion. I have details on several; if you would like me to send you what I have, please send me a PM.

C

Geoff

Thank you for this.

I have sent Bob a list of the men on the Newcastle High School roll who fought with the various battalions of the North Staffords. Please let me know if you would also like a copy.

Regards

C

Dick,

I'd be grateful if you could provide me with any information regarding Cyril Henry Compton of Rugby School. I believe he may have been in Mr Wilson's House (Cotton) in 1912.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Sorry Dick,

In addition to my last, quite a few more I'm afraid...all I believe the same house at Rugby in 1912.

Arthur Edward Le Mesurier

Havilland Le Mesurier

Charles Edward Buist

Duncan Albert Herbert McDougall

William Alan Menzies

AE Messer

Leslie Dilworth Pierson

Charles Newton Beaumont Rigby

Mark Lemon Ritchie Romer

CRR Romer

Conrad Paul Taylor

Francis Cecil Orr Twist

Harold Edward Voelcker

Frederick R Althaus

Sydney Noel Cozens-Hardy

MM Sayer

HB Sayer

LH Reid

Robert Charles Beckett Anderson

HH Aykroyd

a CCW Howell or Hewell?

Hope you can assist,

Mike

Edited by Mike Frankish

Newcastle-under-Lyme High School - all but one

Bob

BAGGULEY-Lieutenant-JAMES LIONEL--13th Bn.-Durham Light Infantry----06/12/1917-24-Son of Mr. G. T. and Mrs. E. S. Bagguley, of High St., Newcastle, Staffs---WESTOUTRE BRITISH CEMETERY-B. 1

BELL-Major-GAWAIN MURDOCH--11th Bn.-Hampshire Regiment----31/07/1917-40-Son of William Henry and Jane Westnay Bell, of York-D S O--BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY-I. E. 6

BENNETT-Captain-FRANK DUNN--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----21/03/1918-34-Son of Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Bennett, of "Ravenscliffe", Porthill, Stoke-on-Trent; husband of Kath Bennett---ARRAS MEMORIAL-Bay 7 and 8

BENNION-3rd Class Waiter-REGINALD WALLEY-M/7687-H.M.S. "Cressy."-Royal Navy----22/09/1914-18-Son of Henry Walley Bennion and Jessie Josephine Bennion, of 22, Beverley Rd., Canterbury, Kent---CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL-6

BIBBY-Major-HENRY LEIGH---Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry----04/05/1917-43-Son of the late John Bibby, of Fachwen, St. Asaph, Flints---SAVONA MEMORIAL-

BILLINGTON-Second Lieutenant-LESLIE CHARLES--4th Bn.-Lancashire Fusiliers----07/07/1915-19-Only son of Charles and Annie Jane Billington, of Watlands House, Wolstanton, Staffs---YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL-Panel 33

BIRCH-Lieutenant-GEORGE OWEN--3rd Bn., attd. 2nd. Bn.-Welsh Regiment----14/09/1914-19-Son of the Revd. George Thomas Birch and Helen Elizabeth Birch, of Stoke-on-Trent---LONDON CEMETERY AND EXTENSION, LONGUEVAL-2.L.17

BLACKHURST-Cadet-FREDERICK HARVEY-767582--Royal Engineers-formerly-Artists' Rifles--30/11/1918-19-Son of William Henry and Elizabeth Blackhurst, of 4, Sneyd St., Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent---STOKE-ON-TRENT (BURSLEM) CEMETERY-5353

BLADEN-Second Lieutenant-EUSTACE CLEMENT--11th Bn. attd. 8th Bn.-Duke of Wellington's Regiment----04/11/1915-18-Son of Mr. J. C. and Mrs. E. G. Bladen, of "Banklea," Basford Park, Stoke-on-Trent---HILL 10 CEMETERY-I. F. 11

BODDINGTON-Lieutenant-OSWALD WILLIAM--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-26-Son of Harry and Clara Boddington, of Oulton Grange, Stone, Staffs---VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY-I. F. 14

BUTTERFIELD-Second Lieutenant-CHARLES WILLIAMS--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----11/05/1917-21-Son of Thomas Henry and Emily Butterfield, of The Wrekin Hotel, Wellington, Salop---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

CADMAN-Lieutenant-CHARLES JOSEPH--150th Inf. Bde. Signal Service-Royal Engineers----26/01/1917-24-Son of the late James Cope Cadman, M.I.C.E., and the late Betty Cadman-M C--FLATIRON COPSE CEMETERY, MAMETZ-I. E. I

CAMPBELL-Private-ERNEST EDWARD-44417-2nd Bn.-Suffolk Regiment----06/10/1918-33-Husband of Florence Campbell, of 36, Sandon St., Etruria Vale, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent---MASNIERES BRITISH CEMETERY, MARCOING-I. A. 4

CARR-Private-ERNEST WILLIAM-2791-1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----02/09/1915-20-Son of Herbert William and Sarah Helen Carr, of The Crescent, Uttoxeter, Staffs. Native of Hollington, Staffs---LARCH WOOD (RAILWAY CUTTING) CEMETERY-I. F. 7

COE-Major-JOSEPH WILLIAM--Deputy Asst. Director of Veterinary Services-Army Veterinary Corps-attd. 59th Div. ---21/10/1917-49-Son of Joseph Coe, of Stoke-on-Trent; husband of Gertrude M. Coe, of 54, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury---ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN-Officers, B. 4. 13

COULTON-Private-ARNOLD STATHAM-3/43374-1st/4th Bn-Seaforth Highlanders----31/10/1918-----CAMBRAI EAST MILITARY CEMETERY-I. B. 19

COWARD-Lieutenant-HENRY--1st Bn.-Border Regiment----20/04/1917-37-Son of Henry Coward, M.A., Mus. Doc., of Sheffield; husband of Margaret Coward (nee Summerscales), of Rockfield, Keighley. Master at High School, Newcastle-under-Lyme---WARLINCOURT HALTE BRITISH CEMETERY, SAULTY-VIII. J. 12

CRIMES-Private-LEONARD GORDON-12/82-12th Bn.-York and Lancaster Regiment----01/07/1916-24-Son of John Thomas and Alice Elizabeth Crimes, of Holly Villas, Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent---THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 14 A and 14 B

DEAN(E)-Private-JOHN CECIL WEBSTER-2621-1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----04/08/1916-20-Son of Webster and Mary Edna Dean, of Burslem, Staffs---WARLINCOURT HALTE BRITISH CEMETERY, SAULTY-I. J. 18

EDGE-Second Lieutenant-EDWARD HOLDEN--2nd/8th Bn.-lon 2/08 Post Office Rifles----22/03/1918-19-Son of Samuel Rathbone Edge and Eliza Marion Edge, of Pitfield House, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire---CHAUNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION-3. L. 2

FAVELL-Lieut-Commander-ERNEST TORRE--H.M.S. "Pathfinder."-Royal Navy----05/09/1914-29-Son of Col. Thomas Milnes Favell and Anna Jane Favell, of "Fairwood," Pine Grove, Weybridge, Surrey---CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL-1

FO®SBROOKE-Second Lieutenant-CUTHBERT--22nd (Pioneer) Bn.-Durham Light Infantry----19/07/1917-25-Son of Arthur Middleton Fosbrooke, and Janie Fosbrooke, of Gailey Vicarage, Stafford---DICKEBUSCH NEW MILITARY CEMETERY EXTENSION-II. C. 2

GOSS-Second Lieutenant-HUBERT JOHN--10th Bn.-Cheshire Regiment-formerly 10th Bn.-Royal Fusiliers--15/07/1916-25-Son of Adolphus W. H. and Sarah Ellen Goss, of The Old Villa, Alsager, Cheshire. Enlisted Aug., 1914-M C--THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 3 C and 4 A

GREEN-Second Lieutenant-ARTHUR FAIRBROTHER--2nd/6th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----21/03/1918-29-Son of Francis and Harriet Green, of "Melbury", Queensland Rd., Boscombe, Hants---ARRAS MEMORIAL-Bay 7 and 8

GRIMWADE-Lieutenant-EDWARD ERNEST--3rd Bn. attd. 9th Bn.-Lancashire Fusiliers----17/09/1916-31-Son of Sidney Richard Grimwade, of Oakmount, Forest Moor, Karesbrough, Yorks, and the late Minnie Ellen Grimwade; husband of Dorothy Grimwade, of 35, Linwood Rd., Bournemouth---THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D

GRIMWADE-Second Lieutenant-EDWARD NORMAN-18905-2nd Bn.-NZEF Auckland Regiment----01/08/1917-28-Son of Edward E. and Catherine Emily Grimwade, of Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand---TROIS ARBRES CEMETERY, STEENWERCK-I. V. 27

GRIMWADE-Corporal-LEONARD RICHARD-12/744--NZEF Auckland Regiment----25/04/1915--Son of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Grimwade, of Hurstmere, Takapuna, Auckland---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-72

GRIMWADE-Second Lieutenant-SIDNEY ARTHUR--54th Training Depot Station-Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force----04/08/1918-22-Son of Leonard L. and Marion Grimwade, of "Hillside," Ashley Heath, Market Drayton---STOKE-ON-TRENT (HARTSHILL) CEMETERY-15474

GWYNNE-Second Lieutenant-HUBERT LLEWELYN--8th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----18/11/1916-24-Son of Mary Adeline Gwynne, of 100, Westwood Lane, Leek, Staffs., and the late Clement T. Gwynne---THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 14 B and 14 C

HAMMERSLEY-Second Lieutenant-ALAN GEORGE--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----14/03/1917-21-Son of Gilbert and Helena Hammersley, of Church Rd., Alsager, Cheshire---SHRINE CEMETERY, BUCQUOY-I. A. 5

HARTLEY-Second Lieutenant-HORACE NEVILLE--1st/6th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-26-Son of the late Horace Hartley, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. of Stone, Staffs., and of Nora Hartley of Wildacres, South Munstead, Surrey---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

HARTLEY-Lance Corporal-WILLIAM CECIL-761023-1st/28th Bn.-lon 28 Artists' Rifles----30/10/1917-----TYNE COT MEMORIAL-Panel 153

HEBELER-Captain-ROLAND STUART--"C" Coy. 7th Bn.-Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)----16/09/1915-44-Son of Mr. F. P. and Edith Hebeler, of Dover; husband of Janet Mary Hebeler, of Dene Place, West Horsley, Surrey---CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY-Plot I. Row A. Grave 31

HILL-Captain-HORACE FREDERICK--18th Bn.-Middlesex Regiment----05/09/1917---M C--RIDGE WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY-III. P. 3

HINES-Second Lieutenant-HAROLD WILLIAM--113th Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----07/10/1917-34-Son of William and Mary Hines, of Fenton, Staffs; husband of Ethel May Hines, of 56, William St., Walsall, Staffs-M C, D C M--TYNE COT MEMORIAL-Panel 4 to 6 and 162

HOLDCROFT-Second Lieutenant-WALTER LEIGH--"C" Coy. 1st Bn. attd. 6th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----05/08/1918--Son of Walter and Sarah Hannah Holdcroft, of "Homeleigh", Court Lane Gardens, Wolstanton, Stoke-on-Trent-M C & Bar--LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

HOLLAND-Second Lieutenant-WILLIAM RAWLINSON GARSIDE--10th Bn.-West Yorkshire Regiment-attd. 50th Trench Mortar Bty.---18/09/1917-24-Son of Mrs. S. Holland, of "Ingleside," Alsager, Cheshire, and the late William Holland-M C--SUNKEN ROAD CEMETERY, FAMPOUX-I. A. 32

HOLTOM-Second Lieutenant-CHARLES FIFIELD--1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----04/08/1916-----WARLINCOURT HALTE BRITISH CEMETERY, SAULTY-I. J. 6

HUGHES-(HOLMES) Second Lieutenant-RONALD BASKERVILLE---Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force----31/05/1917-18-Son of Thomas and Catharine Anne Hughes. Born at Burslem---STOKE-ON-TRENT (BURSLEM) CEMETERY-6087

HULME-Lieutenant-THOMAS ERNEST--Naval Siege Bty.-Royal Marine Artillery----28/09/1917-34-Son of Thomas and Mary Hulme, of Endon, Staffs. One of the war poets---COXYDE MILITARY CEMETERY-IV. C. 2

JOHNSON-Gunner-GEORGE WASHINGTON -165101-274th Siege Bty.-Royal Garrison Artillery----01/11/1918-29-Son of Robert Lewis Johnson and Sarah Johnson, of Henshall Hall, Congleton, Cheshire---ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN-S. II. BB. 9

JOHNSON-Captain-REGINALD TAVERNOR--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-36-Son of Henry James and Maria Johnson, of The Upper House, Barlaston, Stoke-on-Trent; husband of Margaret Vernon Johnson, of 66, Portland Court. Great Portland St., London---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 104

JONES-Serjeant-SYDNEY CHARLES-2688-1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-32-Son of Charles S. Jones, J.P., of "Milford", St. George's Rd., Rhos-on-Sea, Denbighshire, late of Stoke-on-Trent---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

JORDAN-Lieutenant-LESLIE TIEL--2nd/1st (North Midland) Field Coy-Royal Engineers----06/06/1916-22-Son of Joseph Thomas Tiel and Georgina Annie Jordan, of "The Orchard," Newcastle-under-Lyme. Educated at Newcastle-under-Lyme High School and Birmingham University. Born at Gloucester-M C, Mentioned in Despatches--FONCQUEVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY-I. B. 16

LEEK-Second Lieutenant-MAJOR FREDERICK WILLIAM--"D" Bn.-Tank Corps----20/11/1917-----CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL-Panel 13

LEWTY-Second Lieutenant-THOMAS EDMUND--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----14/03/1917-21-Son of Amy Gertrude Lewty, of 42, Arkles Lane, Anfield, Liverpool, and the late Edmund Paulet Lewty. Native of Stoke-on-Trent-Mentioned in Despatches--SHRINE CEMETERY, BUCQUOY-I. A. 4

LOVATT-Sergeant-JAMES (CHARLES?) MUNCASTER-303-9th Bn.-Australian Infantry, A.I.F----25/04/1915-34-Son of James and Mary Elizabeth Lovatt (nee Muncaster), of "The Gables," Priory Avenue, Hastings, England. Born at Didsbury, Manchester---LONE PINE MEMORIAL-30

LOWE-Second Lieutenant-JOHN EDMUND--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----01/07/1917-22-Only son of Josiah and Elizabeth Jane Lowe, of "Helvetia", Grosvenor Gardens, Newcastle, Staffs-M C--LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

MARSHALL-Sapper-FRANCIS JAMES-282828-98th. Light Rly. Train Crew-Royal Engineers----31/12/1917-----CHATBY MEMORIAL-

MELLARD (MELLOR)-Second Lieutenant-RICHARD BARTLETT--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----01/07/1916-22-Only son of Richard Bartlett Mellard and Annie Beatrice Mellard, of I, Oman Mansions, Oman Rd., Hampstead, London. Native of Newcastle. Staffs---GOMMECOURT WOOD NEW CEMETERY, FONCQUEVILLERS-Sp. Mem. A. 2

MELLOR-Second Lieutenant-PERCY--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-21-Son of Percy George and Amy Elizabeth Mellor, of Mossley Hall, Congleton, Cheshire---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

MOUNTFORD-Private-H-7556-1st Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----19/08/1915-----BIRR CROSS ROADS CEMETERY-Union St. Graveyard No. 1 Cem. Mem. 15

RONALD DONALD NEIL ??

NICHOLLS-Captain-THOMAS ROCLIFFE--14th Bn.-Hampshire Regiment----26/09/1917-----TYNE COT MEMORIAL-Panel 88 to 90

NORRIS-Second Lieutenant-WILLIAM ERIC---Montgomeryshire Yeomanry-attd. 17th Bn.-Welsh Regiment--14/01/1918-20-Son of Charles Herbert and Mary Draycott Norris, of "Ellerslie", Park Avenue, Wolstanton, Staffs---ST. LEGER BRITISH CEMETERY-F. 27

PIDDUCK-Second Lieutenant-NORMAN ANDREWS--102nd Coy. -Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)----01/07/1916-20-Son of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Pidduck, of "Brooklyn", Sandbach Rd., Alsager, Stoke-on-Trent. Enlisted Aug., 1914-Mentioned in Despatches--THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C

POWELL-Second Lieutenant-PHILLIP KEITH--8th Bn.-King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry----07/06/1917-22-Son of William Henry and Eleanor Blanche Powell, of White House, Marchamley, Salop---YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL-Panel 47

POWELL-Lieutenant-ROBERT KEAL--11th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment-attd. 2nd Bn.-South Lancashire Regt.--04/10/1916-21-Son of the Rev. John Keal Powell and Ellen Martha Powell, of Armitage Rectory, Rugeley, Staffs---POZIERES BRITISH CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE-II. F. 19

RATHBONE-Second Lieutenant-TOM FORD--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----26/09/1917-27-Son of Thomas and Amy Rathbone, of Mayfield, Little Chell, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent---TYNE COT CEMETERY-III. B. 7

ROE-Second Lieutenant-HERIOT BAKER--1st Bn.-East Surrey Regiment----23/08/1918-37-Son of Matthew Thomas and Margaret Anne Roe, of 2, Essex Villas, Kensington, London---ADANAC MILITARY CEMETERY, MIRAUMONT-IV. E. 24

RUNDALL-Captain-ARTHUR MONTAGU--1st/4th Bn.-z india 4th Gurkha Rifles----20/12/1914-36-King George V.'s Coronation Medal. Son of Col. Frank Montagu Rundall, C.B., D.S.O., O.B.E., and Rosa Rundall; husband of Margaret Frances Rundall (nee Marshall). Born at Kherwsrs Indis---GUARDS CEMETERY, WINDY CORNER, CUINCHY-V. G. 15

SALT-Private-FRANK ARTHUR-13782-VII Corps Cyclists Bn.-Army Cyclist Corps----29/11/1916--Son of Mr. A. Salt, of 11, Stafford St., Market Drayton---ST. AMAND BRITISH CEMETERY-I. B. 3

SAUNDERS-Second Lieutenant-ALFRED GEORGE--8th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----29/07/1916-----THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 14 B and 14 C

SAVAGE-Major-THOMAS COPELAND-3/719-No. 2 N.Z. Stat. Hosp.-NZEF Medical Corps----13/08/1915-41-Son of Warwick and Mary Savage, of Burslem England; husband of Madeline Savage, of 6, Orakei Rd., Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand---CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY-D. 24

SCOTT-Private-GEOFFREY LAWRENCE-5094-4th Regt.-South African Infantry----15/07/1916-24-Son of the Rev. Inglis Charles Reymond Scott, Vicar of Chute, and Harriet Scott, of Chute Vicarage, Andover, England. Also served in Transvaal Scottish Regt. in German South West Africa. Born at Penkhull, Stoke-on-Trent---DELVILLE WOOD CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL-III. G. 6

SCRIVENER-Captain-ALWYNE TWYFORD--5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----05/07/1917-35-Son of Alexander and Sarah Ann Scrivener-Mentioned in Despatches--LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 103 to 105

SHUFFLEBOTHAM-Second Lieutenant-JOHN--12th Bn.-Northumberland Fusiliers----25/09/1915-29-Son of John and Emily Elizabeth Shufflebotham. of Newcastle-under-Lyme---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 20 to 22

SIMMS-Corporal-HENRY ARTHUR-2602-9th (Glasgow Hds.) Bn.-Highland Light Infantry----02/06/1915-27-Only son of Henry Arthur and Mary Allan Simms, of 2, Sunnyside Terrace, Ballyholme, Bangor, Co. Down---WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY-I. I. 20

SNAPE-Private-RALPH TWIST-2765-5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----17/10/1915-24-Son of John Twist Snape and Sarah Jane Snape, of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs---ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY-III. B. 15

SOAME-Captain-EVERARD NIXON BUCKWORTH HERNE--2nd/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----21/03/1918-----ARRAS MEMORIAL-Bay 7 and 8

STEVENTON-Private-ARTHUR W.-18389-2nd Bn.-East Yorkshire Regiment----04/10/1915-23-Son of Thomas and Florence Elizabeth Steventon, of 9, Bridge St., Newcastle, Staffs---LOOS MEMORIAL-Panel 40 and 41

STRINGER-Lieutenant-GUY FREDERICK--North Midland Heavy Bty.-Royal Garrison Artillery----17/06/1915-29-Son of F. S. and E. S. Stringer, of Stoke-on-Trent---HOSPITAL FARM CEMETERY-A. 10

SWETTENHAM-Lance Corporal-ROBERT-17487-15th Bn.-Royal Scots----08/08/1916-----THIEPVAL MEMORIAL-Pier and Face 6 D and 7 D

THACKER-Private-ARTHUR COLIN-24058-2nd Bn.-Grenadier Guards----25/09/1916-24-Son of John and Sarah Thacker, of 27, London Rd., Chesterton, Stoke-on-Trent---GUARDS` CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS-Sp. Mem. 75

TUDOR-Private-HARRY ALLEN-2767-5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-21-Only son of George and Mary Hannah Tudor, of "Norbury," Spring Gardens, Leek, Staffs---VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY-I. L. 12

WARD-Second Lieutenant-CECIL WELLESLEY--"A" Bty. 148th Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----11/09/1917-40-Son of the Rev. G. N. and Mary Ward; husband of Flora Ward, of "Kohima," Milton-under-Wychwood, Oxon---LINDENHOEK CHALET MILITARY CEMETERY-I. D. 1

WEAVER-Captain-JOHN JAMES---Royal Army Medical Corps-attd. 2nd/4th Bn. (later attd. 65th Lowland Div)-East Lancashire Regiment--20/04/1917-56-M.R.C.S. (Lond.), L.R.C.P., L.S.A. (Lond.), D.P.H. (Camb.). Son of Dr. James Weaver and Jane Ann Weaver (nee Hamilton); husband of Anne Pennington Weaver (nee Clinning), of Southport, Lancs---SOUTHPORT (DUKE STREET) CEMETERY-H. C.E. 2418

WEBSTER-Lance Corporal-WILLIAM HOWARD-2774-1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----13/10/1915-28-Son of Mary Barto Webster, of 12, London Rd., Newcastle, Staffs. and the late William Neadham Webster---ST. MARY`S A.D.S. CEMETERY, HAISNES-Sp. Mem. B. 3

WEDGWOOD-Captain-ARTHUR FELIX--1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----14/03/1917-39-Son of Clement Francis and Emily Catherine Wedgwood, of Barlaston, Staffs; husband of Katharine Longstaff Wedgwood, of The Grange, Ightham, Kent---ROSSIGNOL WOOD CEMETERY, HEBUTERNE-A. 5

WEDGWOOD-Gunner-CYRIL-636670-147th Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----05/10/1918-27-Son of Mr. E. A. and Mrs. F. L. Wedgwood, of 14, Gladstone St., Basford, Stoke-on-Trent---BUCQUOY ROAD CEMETERY, FICHEUX-IV. D. 40

WILTON-Captain-SAMUEL BRAMMER--"C" Coy. 1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----14/03/1917-25-Son of Samuel and Mary Emmie Wilton, of The Nook, Albany Rd., Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs-M C--ROSSIGNOL WOOD CEMETERY, HEBUTERNE-A. 4

WOOD-Second Lieutenant-REGINALD HARRY--1st/5th Bn.-North Staffordshire Regiment----02/04/1916-22-Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Wood, of "The Grange," Porthill, Stoke-on-Trent---ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI-I. C. 17

WOODFORDE-Private-WALTER WARREN-63923--Canadian - Lord Strathcona's Horse----30/03/1918-31-Son of the late Francis Cardew Woodforde and Annie Woodforde, of Ansford, Castle Carey, Somersetshire, England---VIMY MEMORIAL-

Mike Frankish: Quite a list!! Give me a few days to work on the list and I will get back to you. Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you, Geoff, any thoughts on Ronald NEIL?

Bob, in the Staffordshire Roll of Honour he is listed as R D Neil,

CWGC results give this chap

NEIL, ROBERT DONALD

Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 26/10/1916 Age: 22 Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers 1st/5th Bn. Grave Reference: II. F. 33. Cemetery: AUCHONVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of the Rev. James and Margaret Neil, of Liverpool.
There is no photograph listed in the Weekly Sentinel, but the name is totally out, do you reckon a typo error ???

Dick

Would you have a copy of a photograph for Ronald Moseley Aston, Rugby, I believe in Vol VII. Is there any chance of of post?

Fingers crossed, and thanks in anticipation!

Wilhelm

Wilhelm

Aston and his father both have obituaries in Wisden 1916.

Wisden mistakenly gave Ronald the second name of Marriner like his father.

These are the slightly abbreviated versions that appear in my book Wisden on the Great War. I can fill out the school details where it gives "…"

CAPT FREDERICK MARRINER ASTON (6th Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry) was killed in Flanders on July 30, aged 48. Educated at Shrewsbury, he was in the School Eleven in 1885 and 1886… It was then said of him: “Hits very hard, with a crooked bat, and has been a very useful scorer: has bowled with success at times, but is uncertain; a brilliant and generally safe field.” He was not in the Eleven at Cambridge, but obtained his Blue for Association football, playing against Oxford in the drawn game at Queen’s Club in February 1889.

He also played football for Casuals FC. See his son, below.

LT RONALD MOSELEY ASTON (2nd Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry), son of the above-mentioned, was killed in France on March 14, aged 20. He was in the Rugby Eleven in 1911 and 1912, being a fair batsman and good bowler and fieldsman…

Andrew

Happy New Year.

I'd be grateful if you can provide me with any information regarding Basil Graham Taunton, born 1885, of Tonbridge School.

Many thanks.

JP

Sjt. Basil Graham Taunton, R Fusiliers

Born 1885. the only son of Hugh Grosvenor Taunton

Matriculated at Tonbridge School in Michaelmas Term, 1899

Before the war employed in the Surveyor's Branch, of the Post Office

Attested as Pte, 20th Bn, R Fusiliers, Sept 1914

Promoted Serjeant, 1914

Served in France from 12 Nov 15 to 22 Jul 16 with the 20th Bn, R. Fus. (Battle of Albert, Battle of the Somme, 1-13 Jul 16)

Wounded near Mametz Wood on 20 Jul 16 and died of those wounds on 22 Jul 16

The attached photo is from the second mentioned source.

Sources: Tonbridge School Register 1847 to 1926; Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919.

post-765-0-20678200-1421432200_thumb.jpg

Sjt. Basil Graham Taunton, R Fusiliers

Born 1885. the only son of Hugh Grosvenor Taunton

Matriculated at Tonbridge School in Michaelmas Term, 1899

Before the war employed in the Surveyor's Branch, of the Post Office

Attested as Pte, 20th Bn, R Fusiliers, Sept 1914

Promoted Serjeant, 1914

Served in France from 12 Nov 15 to 22 Jul 16 with the 20th Bn, R. Fus. (Battle of Albert, Battle of the Somme, 1-13 Jul 16)

Wounded near Mametz Wood on 20 Jul 16 and died of those wounds on 22 Jul 16

The attached photo is from the second mentioned source.

Sources: Tonbridge School Register 1847 to 1926; Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919.

Thank you very much Mr Flory. Much appreciated. Basil is a 2nd cousin 3x removed and I'd never seen a picture of him.

JP