Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Of your kindness, could you please look up this man? it's especially of interest to know whether he served in a Junior or Senior OTC:

Albert Victor JONES from Caernarfon, Private 1519, 1st Battalion Hon. Artillery Compeny (Infantry). Killed at Wulverghem 25 November 1914 aged 29.

Educated at The Leys public school (their first fatality, it seems), and King's College Cambridge. He was a solicitor in London in August 1914 when he enlisted.

Thanks,

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Clive: He served in the Leys School OTC (see below):

Pte. Albert Victor James, HAC

Educated at Leys School from 1902 to 1906 (Second Lacrosse Colours; Corporal in School OTC; Prefect) and at King's College, Cambridge (BA, LLB)

Admitted as a solicitor in Oct 1912

Employed as Managing Clerk with William Sturges & Co. of Caxton House, Westminster

Admitted to the Hon. Artillery Company on 25 Aug 14

Went overseas on 24 Nov 14

KIA when shot through the heart by a sniper while in the trenches at Wulverghem, Belgium on 25 Nov 14

Sources: The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War 1914-1919; Handbook & Direcgtory with War Record of The Leys School, Cambridge, 1920; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks with His Majesty,s Forces 1914-1919.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dick

I'm wondering if you would mind looking up another couple of Etonians. Robert Edwards, Essex Yeomanry during the Great War should arrive at Eton circa January 1902 leaves 1907.

Also a chap called Robert Alexander who went into the Black Watch and his prep school has him going to Eton in September 1902 but he's not on the Eton roll of service (which I've had sight of) so the prep school may be incorrect there

Many thanks John

Capt. Robert Edwards

Son of A G Edwards Beech Hill Park, Waltham Abbey, Essex

Attended Eton from 1901 to 1907 and then the Wye Agricultural College

Employed as a Land Agent

During the Great War he serve as a Captain, Essex Yeomanry, attached Remount Services in France

Source: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909.

Robert Alexander

Born on 9 May 1888, the only son of Robert Ernest Alexander, Kenward, Yalding, Kent

Educated at Eton School from 1902-1905 and at Magdalen College, Oxford from 1907 to 1910.

Member of Alexanders Discount Company, Ltd., 24 Lombard Street, EC3

During the Great War he served as a Captain in the 11th Bn, The Black Watch attached to the Machine Gun Corps in France and Belgium.

Awarded the French Croix de Guerre.

Married Mary Josephine, daughter of Arthur Henry, Kenward, Yalding, Essex

In 1934 he livedat Betchett Green, near Sevenoaks, Kent.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; The Magdalen College Record, 1934; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

I should be grateful, as always, for what you have on Captain A.F. Blakiston MC, 149th Brigade, RFA. Post-war he was an English international rugby footballer.

I do have his MC citation from 1918.

Daggers

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Dick

Can you please help me with any information on Prince Kumar Hitendra Narayan who left Eton I believe in 1906 and died of influenza on Nov 7 1920.

As a cricketer he played a handful of matches for Somerset, and as a soldier he was a Lt in the Indian Expeditionary Force.

He may be named as Kumar Narayan.

Thank you.

Andrew

... now if he'd been a private, and all his brothers had been killed, would we have had a politically correct "Saving Private Narayan"? exit stage left - very fast!!

I thought I had best quickly put up this splendid photo of Kumar Narayan on his smart warhorse Son of a Gun.

post-55913-0-54630700-1414172037_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dick - is it possible to get a lookup in the Durham School Register for Arthur Duncombe Shafto. If he is the chap I am seeking he was born 1880 - trying to determine if he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers (Lieut) in the Boer War and died while serving (Capt) with the Royal Scots on 26 Aug 1914.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

daggers wrote: "should be grateful, as always, for what you have on Captain A.F. Blakiston MC, 149th Brigade, RFA."

daggers: Blakiston was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University and during the Great War he served first as a Trooper in King Edward's Horse and was then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA. In France he served with D Battery, 149th Brigade, RFA and was once wounded (War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1918). In the Journal of the Royal Artillery, v. 47, #7, p. 356 (October, 1920) there is a write-up on the action for which he presumably received his MC (see attached scan). There is a similar article on the same action on p. 80 of The Battle Book of Ypres by Beatrice Brice.

post-765-0-21744000-1415853201_thumb.jpg

Andrew (ajaxer) wrote: "Can you please help me with any information on Prince Kumar Hitendra Narayan who left Eton I believe in 1906"

Hitendra Narayan (Maharaj Kumar of Cooch Behar)

Son of the Maharaja of Cooch Behar, GCIE, CB

Educated at Eton from 1904-1906

Served as Lieutenant Indian Expeditionary Force and as staff officer in France

Once mentioned in despatches

Source: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909.

Phil Wood wrote: "s it possible to get a lookup in the Durham School Register for Arthur Duncombe Shafto."

Captain Arthur Duncombe Shafto, DSO, Royal Scots Regt.

Born in 1880 the son of C D Shafto, JP of 9 South Bailey, Durham

Entered Durham School as a King's Scholar in Sept. 1893 (rowed in third crew, 1895; in second crew as stroke, 1896; in first crew, 1897; Captain of Boat Club, 1898; Monitor; XV, 1897).

Left Durham School in July 1898 and Gentleman Cadet, RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned in Northumberland Fusiliers, 1899

Served in South African War with Northumberland Fusiliers from 1899 to 1902 (DSO, twice mentioned in despatches)(QSA w/3 clasps; KSA w/2 clasps)

Selected to represent his Battalion at Coronation of King Edward VII

Staff Captain, Border Grouped Regimental Districts at Carlisle from 1905 to 1907

Staff Captain, No. 5 District, York, from 1908 to 1910

Transferred to the Royal Scots Regt. in 1908

Captain, R Scots, 1914

Went to France with 2nd Bn, R Scots in August 1914

Killed in action at Audincourt during the retreat from Mons on 26 August 1914.

The photo is from the second-named source.

Sources: Durham School Register, Third Edition, to 1939; The War Record of Old Dunelmians 1914-1919.

post-765-0-83709300-1415855265_thumb.jpg

Phil Wood wrote: "s it possible to get a lookup in the Durham School Register for Arthur Duncombe Shafto."

Captain Arthur Duncombe Shafto, DSO, Royal Scots Regt.

Many thanks Dick.

I will soon be editing the story of Arthur Duncombe Shafto

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Dick,

Forgive me if I've missed it but have you details for the High (Grammar)School, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire?
Regards,

Bob

Bob Pike wrote: "have you details for the High (Grammar)School, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire?"

Bob: Unfortunately I do not. Regards, Dick Flory

JP wrote: "Can you please look up Sir Richard Vincent Sutton, 1891-1918, in the Eton Roll of Honour ?"

Captain Sir Richard Vincent Sutton, Bart., MC, 1st Life Guards

Only son of Sir Richard F Sutton, 5th Bartonet of Benham Vallence, Newbury, Berks; Villa del Cipressi and Barton Court, Hungerford

Educated at Eton from 1904-1909

Joined 1st Life Guards, 1912

Served as Captain from 1915 to 1918

Adjutant, 1st Life Guards, 1917-1918

Twice wounded in action

Died of pneumonia following influenza in France on 29 Nov 1918

His obituary in the Eton College Chronicle states: 'He worked well and was keen on football and rowing and was very popular in his House and in the School. He was a boy of transparent honesty and simplicity of character, of great personal charm, cheerful in all circumstances, and very thoughtful of the welfare and convenience of others."

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX; Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Eton College Chronicle, 6 February 1919, page 560.

JP wrote: "Can you please look up Sir Richard Vincent Sutton, 1891-1918, in the Eton Roll of Honour ?"

Captain Sir Richard Vincent Sutton, Bart., MC, 1st Life Guards

Only son of Sir Richard F Sutton, 5th Bartonet of Benham Vallence, Newbury, Berks; Villa del Cipressi and Barton Court, Hungerford

Educated at Eton from 1904-1909

Joined 1st Life Guards, 1912

Served as Captain from 1915 to 1918

Adjutant, 1st Life Guards, 1917-1918

Twice wounded in action

Died of pneumonia following influenza in France on 29 Nov 1918

His obituary in the Eton College Chronicle states: 'He worked well and was keen on football and rowing and was very popular in his House and in the School. He was a boy of transparent honesty and simplicity of character, of great personal charm, cheerful in all circumstances, and very thoughtful of the welfare and convenience of others."

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX; Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Eton College Chronicle, 6 February 1919, page 560.

Brilliant. Thank you very much.

Best wishes

JP

Hello Dick,

Another request - is it possible to get a scan of the picture of Douglas Salway on p98 of the Lloyds Bank Memorial Book?

In hope,

Phil

Hello again.

Do you have details for Felstead School ? If yes, I'd be very grateful if you can look up the following brothers

Thomas Vere Levinge born 1880

Reginald Augustus Levinge born 1883

Charles Horace Levinge born 1884

Bernard George Levinge born 1887

Gerald Henry Levinge born 1889. KIA 5 April 1918

Many thanks

JP

• 3 weeks later...

Charles Horace Levinge

Lived at Brucot House, Blunsdon, Highworth, Wilts

At Felsted School from Sept 1900-July 1901

Served in Australian Imperial Force, 1914-1919

Once wounded.

Farming in Australia

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950.

Reginald Augustus Levinge

Lived at Brucot House, Blunsdon, Highworth, Wilts

At Felsted School from Sept 1900-July 1901

Served in South African War (Middlesex Militia)

Formerly Lieut, Wexford Militia

Farmed in Queensland from 1903-1914

During Great War, Captain, RFA

Served with 6th Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA; W/6th Trench Mortar Battery, RFA; 42nd Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA and Divisional Trench Mortar Officer, 6th Division.

Mentioned in despatches.

After the war was a poultry farmer

Died 1953

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950; Alumni Felstediensis January 1900-September 1970; various war diaries.

Gerald Henry Levinge

At Felsted School from Jan 1901-Dec 1901

Australian I. F.

Killed in action in France, 5 April 1918

Sources: Alumni Felstediensis 1852-1921; Alumni Felstediensis April 1890-September 1950.

Bernard George Levinge

At Felsted School from Jan 1901 to July 1901

Lived at Homefield, Miles, Queensland

Farmer

There is no mention of Thomas Vere Levinge.