The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Many thanks for looking.

Andy

Hello Dick,

Many thanks for providing details of Major Douglas Harold Green, OBE, MC. Your continued help is much appreciated. Regards, Ron

Hello

I wonder if you may help - I have placed my first forum entry recently and a very helpful lady Pam Linge informed me of the school attended by

Major Lonsdale Hammill

He attended Tonbridge School in Kent.

Pam forwarded a link to yourself and here I am.

If you would be able to assist - the main thing I am looking for is a copy of a photograph if at all possible.

He was decorateed: DSO,MC & Bar, MID x2

He also saw service with the Welch Regiment.

Many thanks Peter.

Peter wrote: "I wonder if you may help - I have placed my first forum entry recently and a very helpful lady Pam Linge informed me of the school attended by Major Lonsdale Hammill"

Lt. Col. Lansdale Hammill, DSO, MC*

Born in 1879, the eldest son of John Hammill

Educated at Tonbridge School from 1895 to 1898 (Boxing, 97-98; Football XV, 1897

Played Rugby Football for Lancashire from 1901 to 1903

Chartered Accountant with S C Bishop & Co Lt, of St Helens from 1905

Commissioned as 2nd Lt, 1/5 Bn, S Lancs R (TF) on 5 Aug 14

Served in France from Feb 1915 to April 1916

Acting Captain and Coy Cdr, 5 Bn, S Lancs R from 10 Feb 15

Took part in the Battle of Ypres from 22 Apr to 24 May 15

Promoted to Lieut on 30 Nov 15

Mentioned in Despatches in London Gazette of 1 Jan 16 for service on 30 Nov 15

Awarded the Military Cross in London Gazette of 1 Jan 16 for srevice at Ypres in May 1915

Invalided in the UK from Apr to Jul 16

Home service from Jul 16 to Jan 17 (served with Commd. School of Instruction as a student till Sept 17 and then became instructor there

Returned to France in Jan 17 and served there to Mar 18

Coy CO, 7th Bn, S Lancs Regt till 23 Oct 17

Took part in the Battle of Messines from 7-14 Jun 17 and the Battle of Ypres from 31 July 17; and the Battle of Menin Road Ridge on 20 Sep 17

Awarded the Bar to the Military Cross in London Gazette of 26 Sep 17 for service at Messines on 7 Jun 17

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order in London Gazette of 26 Sep 17 for service at Ypres on 31 Jul 17

Promoted to Captain on 1 Jun 17

Mentioned in Despatches in London Gazette of 7 Nov 17Attached as a Temp Major and 2nd in Command of 9th Bn, Welch R from 23 Oct 17 to 9 Mar 18; became Acting CO of the Bn. in March 1918 (took part in German Offensive, Battle of the Somme and the Battle of Bapaume on 24 Mar 18

Suffered shrapnel wound to head on 24 Mar 18 near Bapaume and invalided to UK

Home service from June to Sept 1918 (attached to 3 Bn, Welch Regt in June 1918; Senior Officer School at Aldershot in Jul and Aug 18

Served in France again from Sept 1918 to Jan 1919 as 2nd in Command of 9th Bn, Welch Regt. (Final Offensive, Cambrai-Malplaquet from Sept to 11 Nov 18; Acting CO of the Battalion in final operations.

From 4 Jan to 9 Mar 1919 served as Group Accounting Officer (Class BB).

Served in World War II with 75th County of Lancaster (St. Helens) Bn of Home Guard; Lt Col Commanding in 1941

Died at St. Helens on 27 Oct 1944

Sources: Tonbridge School and the Great War 1914-1919; Tonbridge School Register 1861 to 1945.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick, I sent the following in an earlier request for help, you very kindly sent me the details for Lt Col HAS Stanton but as yet nothing on the two Royal Artillery Officers. I wondered if you had managed to find anything about them from your Registers ? Thanks. Regards, Ron

Hello Dick, Could I prevail upon you again to look up Lt Col Hugh Auriol Stanton Stanton, DSO. He was educated at Radley College somewhere between 1890-1898. In addition, I have two Royal Artillery Officers who I have been researching, namely Brigadier General Clennell William Collingwood CMG, DSO and Lieutenant General Sir Herbert C C Uniacke KCB, KCMG, and would appreciate any information you might be able to access. They were both educated at The RMA, Woolwich. Thanks. Regards, Ron Hartley

Hello Dick,

Would you be so kind as to look up:

Robert Charles Manning D.S.O. M.C.

Major R.E.

Died 6 September 1918

He attended Trinity College Dublin and served in Trinity College O.T.C.

Regards

Derek Riley

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups as long as you can give me the school your man attended - I do not have the time nor inclination to accept requests to look for a particular name when the school is not known unless they are Great War Royal Artillery officers (I have a database indexing all of those officers who are listed in the school registers). Please give me the man's name, school attended and general time frame when making your request and indicate what type of information you are looking for.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Any chance of a look-up for the following Officer? 2Lt. Archibald MacNeill. 1/6th Bttn, Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders. Born 18th July 1896 in Glasgow. Spent much of his childhood in Kilmacolm. I am told he attended Greenock College School, thereafter proceeding to the High School. Employed by Messrs. G. & J. Weir Ltd., Cathcart, Glasgow before enlisting and being subsequestly KIA in 1916. Eldest son of Mr. Archibald Harvie MacNeill, Solicitor from Glasgow.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Glyn

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Sorry to bother you again. I was wondering if you had rolls of honour for the following two schools:

St Ignatius College (Stamford Hill)

Cooper's Company School (Bow)

and these universities:

University of London

Cambridge University (Pembroke College)

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

AGWR

Could you possibly look up the following soldier:

Frank Bowe

Born Feb 1895 in Leeds and KIA 1917.

I want to know when he started at Burley Lawn School. in Burley, Leeds and when he left.

Many thanks for your trouble.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I wonder if you would be good enough to assist me with two gentlemen. I have just returned from Hooge where I was going over the site of the first Germen flamethrower attack on 30/5/15 on the 8th Rifle Brigade and the disastrous counter attack by the 7th Rifle Brigade, insisted on despite brigade level commanders stating that it would not work.

The 2 gentlemen I am interested in are Sidney Milsom, 8th Rifle Brigade killed in this action who was educated at Selwyn College and Bath College.

The 2nd is Reginald Hugh Lawson, 7th Rifle Brigade, injured by shrapnel to the thigh and was killed in action on the Somme on 24/8/16 whilst commanding a party in front of the lines by shrapnel. He was educated at Haileybury College and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.

Many thanks for any information you might find.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Derek wrote: "Would you be so kind as to look up:

Robert Charles Manning D.S.O. M.C. Major R.E."

Major Robert Charles Manning, RE, DSO, MC

Son of Capt L J Manning, MBE

Educated at Chesterfield, Birr, King's County School and Royal School.

BA from Trinity College, Dublin in 1912 (served with OTC)

Lance Cpl, Canadian Contingent, Aug 1914

Commissioned in the RE "for conspicuous bravery in the field" while serving with the RE (Mining Section) in April 1915

Wounded at Ypres on 21 Sep 15

Despatches LG 3 Jan 16

MC, LG 14 Jan 16

Captain and Adjt, 1916

Despatches, LG Jan 17

DSO, LG 4 Jun 17

Legion of Honour, Jan 18

Acting Major, 1918

Served with 170th Tunnelling Company, RE

Died of wounds on 6 Sep 18

Sources: War List, Trinity College, University of Dublin, Feb 1922; The Distinguished Service Order 1866-1923.

Regards. Dick Flory

Wig wrote: "I would love to know a little more about F.C. Dietrichsen - Chigwell School, Essex"

Sorry but have nothing on Chigwell School. Dick Flory

Dick,

Would you have any details for 2nd Lt R L Binns of the 8th Yorkshires who attended Stonyhurst College?

Would be grateful for any help.

Bob.

bob

I worked at Stonyhurst and have friends that still do - do you have photos - if I can help at all let me know.

http://www.stonyhurst.ac.uk/welcome.shtml

you may have already tried this link !

Glyn wrote: "Any chance of a look-up for the following Officer? 2Lt. Archibald MacNeill. 1/6th Bttn, Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders. Born 18th July 1896 in Glasgow. Spent much of his childhood in Kilmacolm. I am told he attended Greenock College School, thereafter proceeding to the High School. "

2nd Lieut. Archibald Macneill, 6th A & S Hldrs.

Born in Glasgow on 18 Jul 96, the eldest son of Archibald Harvie Macneill, a solicitor in Glasgow.

Attended the Greenock Collegiate School and then Glasgow High School.

Employed in engineering by Messrs. G & J Wier, Ltd. in Cathcart

Enlisted in 9th Bn, Highland Lt Infy as a Private on 5 Sep 14 and went to France in Jan 15

Wounded at La Bassee in March 1915

Commissioned into the 3/6 A & S Highldrs on 2 Jul 15

Went to France as Bombing Officer with that Battalion in Jan 16

On 26 Mar 1916 he was shot through the heart towards the end of a stiff engagement with the enemy in the Labyrinth about 2 miles south of Arras

Buried on the morning of 27 Mar 16 in the British Soldiers' Cemetary in Mareuil.

There is a photo which I can scan for you if you do not already have it.

Source: Book of Service and Remembrance of the High School of Glasgow.

Regards. Dick Flory

AGWR wrote: "Sorry to bother you again. I was wondering if you had rolls of honour for the following two schools:

and these universities:

University of London

Thank you for your time."

I have the following:

Pembroke College Cambridge War List 1914-1918

Univ. Coll. Lond., Univ. Coll. Hosp. and Med School, a Record, 1914-1919 (2 volumes)

University of London OTC Roll of War Service 1914-1919

Dick Flory

Sue wrote: "Could you possibly look up the following soldier:

Frank Bowe

Born Feb 1895 in Leeds and KIA 1917.

I want to know when he started at Burley Lawn School. in Burley, Leeds and when he left."

Sorry, nothing on Burley Lawn School. Dick Flory

John wrote: "do you have a school regustar for north house school Crawley where a oscar ernest pali"

Nothing on North House School, Crawley. Dick Flory

Andy wrote: "The 2 gentlemen I am interested in are Sidney Milsom, 8th Rifle Brigade killed in this action who was educated at Selwyn College and Bath College.

The 2nd is Reginald Hugh Lawson, 7th Rifle Brigade, injured by shrapnel to the thigh and was killed in action on the Somme on 24/8/16 whilst commanding a party in front of the lines by shrapnel. He was educated at Haileybury College and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge."

2nd Lieut. Sidney Milsom, Rifle Bde

Educated at Selwyn College, Cambridge, leaving in 1905

Killed in action at Hooge on 30 July 1915

Source: The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919.

Lieut. Reginal Hugh Lawson, MC Rifle Brigade

Born on 7 Aug 93, the son of H Lawson, Esq., Camden Rise, Chislehurst, Kent

Educated at Haileybury School from 1907-1910 (played on VI, Prefect) and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge from 1910 -1912

Served in Great War with Rifle Brigade

MC - 1915

Once wounded

Mentioned in Despatches - 1915

KIA at Mametz on 24 Aug 15

Sources: Haileybury Register, 1931; The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919.

Regards. Dick Flory

AGWR wrote: "Sorry to bother you again. I was wondering if you had rolls of honour for the following two schools:

and these universities:

University of London

Thank you for your time."

I have the following:

Pembroke College Cambridge War List 1914-1918

Univ. Coll. Lond., Univ. Coll. Hosp. and Med School, a Record, 1914-1919 (2 volumes)

University of London OTC Roll of War Service 1914-1919

Dick Flory

Dick,

When you get a chance, I would be very grateful for any details about Capt Fred Stansfield (ex Pembroke College), and Capt William Salter (possibly University of London). Both men were 17 th Middlesex.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

AGWR

Dick,

Many thanks for the information on Milsom and Lawson, it is much appreciated.

Andy

Derek wrote: "Would you be so kind as to look up:

Robert Charles Manning D.S.O. M.C. Major R.E."

Major Robert Charles Manning, RE, DSO, MC

Son of Capt L J Manning, MBE

Educated at Chesterfield, Birr, King's County School and Royal School.

BA from Trinity College, Dublin in 1912 (served with OTC)

Lance Cpl, Canadian Contingent, Aug 1914

Commissioned in the RE "for conspicuous bravery in the field" while serving with the RE (Mining Section) in April 1915

Wounded at Ypres on 21 Sep 15

Despatches LG 3 Jan 16

MC, LG 14 Jan 16

Captain and Adjt, 1916

Despatches, LG Jan 17

DSO, LG 4 Jun 17

Legion of Honour, Jan 18

Acting Major, 1918

Served with 170th Tunnelling Company, RE

Died of wounds on 6 Sep 18

Sources: War List, Trinity College, University of Dublin, Feb 1922; The Distinguished Service Order 1866-1923.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you very much for the Information on Robert Manning it is most appreciated.

At the risk of outstaying my welcome can I ask if you have any ideas as to where I could look for a Picture of him?

Regards

Derek Riley