Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Old posting but a letter from the front has come to light with regards to the Leigh boy.

Extract from a letter from Captain Paul A. Kennedy, Commanding "B" Company, 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade, dated 17th April 1915.

... We are always huddled together in a trench or in two or three small rooms in billets, so somebody is always talking, especially as in my Company, "B", we are a very happy family.

"Jimmy Leigh, son of old Chandos Leigh, is the oldest of my subalterns by a long way, being about 26. He and Hardinghe, who is about 20, are killingly funny. They keep on a perpetual mad chatter and are really most comical. The other two, Rodney and Stanhope, both very young ( the latter only 18) have both come out quite lately from the Special Reserve at Sheppey. They are both delightful fellows and add greatly to the general merriment, especially Stanhope whose eyes simply glitter with joie de vivre all day. He was coming into the R.B. in the ordinary course of events and is quite the best young fellow I have ever seen. He is keen as mustard on everything he does, and is very good at everything he turns his hand to. He is about 6 feet high and extremely good looking, in fact he is as near perfection as anybody I know."

The preceding letter was written whilst the 2nd Battalion was holding the portion of the British Line in front of Sailly between Fleurbaix and Laventie and about 3000 yards from the German positions on the Fromelles-Aubers ridge.

Three weeks after the letter was written, on 9th May, the famous attack on the German Lines was made by the 2nd Battalion.

On that disastrous, but most glorious day the Battalion went into action with 24 Officers and 800 Other Ranks under Lieutenant-Colonel R.B. Stephens, and, came out of action under the Adjutant, Lieutenant Chichester-Constable and 2nd Lieutenant Grey, the Machine-gun Officer, with only 195 men. Lieutenant-Colonel Stephens was made a Brigadier on the field.

Captain Kennedy's Company "B" was severely engaged and he, with three out of the four subalterns of the merry party he describes so cheerily in his letter, fell on that day.

Andy

For those of you that have visited the Aubers battlefield this is the Captain Kenedy as in Kennedy's Cross.

Andy

Medalman and Bill: Sorry, I do not have anything on City of Liverpool Central Municipal Technical College or the Liverpool College of Technology; or Queen Mary's Grammar School. Dick Flory

Adrian wrote: "Please could you provide details of 2/Lt Henry Whitehead of the Royal Field Artillery"

2nd Lieut. Henry Whitehead, RFA

Born on 13 Oct 97, the son of John Whitehead, Esq.

Attended Cheltenham College from Jan 1912 to Jul 1915

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, RFA

Killed in action near Mailly-Maillet, France on 13 Jun 16.

Source: Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927.

I do have books on Rugby School and Trinity College.

Regards. Dick Flory

Liverpool Annie wrote: "I'd love your help with this man if possible please - Julian Philip Swindell Hayes"

Annie: Your man was born on 27 Jan 1859. Obtained his medical training at St. Mary's. Commissioned as a Captain Surgeon on 30 June 1886 and promoted to Major Surgeon on 23 Nov 98. From 1887 to at least 1898 he served at Shorncliffe. Took part in the Nile Expedition and served in the South African War with the 7th General Hospital in Natal and the Transvaal. Retired on 30 Jan 1906. Still alive in 1924. Regards. Dick

Steve wrote: "Could you kindly look for Captain Andrew best McBride, 2/5th Beds attached 7th Btn. Berkhamsptead College."

Steve: Sorry, I don't have anything on the College. Dick Flory

Bill wrote: "I wonder if you have any registers for St Francis Xavier School, Liverpool. I'm looking for any information on my father, William (Joseph) Bryce."

Sorry Bill, nothing on St Francis Xavier School. Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

To the ever-willing and ever-patient Dick Flory ...

Have you anything at all (eek!) on these two Engineer officers ?

* Captain Thomas Henry Maugham Barnett, Royal Engineers

* Captain Frank Herbert Cook, Inland Water Transport (Royal Engineers).

I know nothing about Cook, but I have some bare bones on Barnett:

Captain Thomas Henry Maugham Barnett

Born in Chiswick, London, the son of Thomas Henry Barnett and his wife, Anna Sexton, 1886

Commissioned temporary Second Lieutenant, Royal Engineers, 7 Oct 16

Serves in the Salonika theatre of operations

Promoted temporary Lieutenant, 7 Apr 18

Acting Captain, Oct 18-Nov 19

Relinquishes commission, ? March 1920

Commissioned Lieutenant, Royal Engineers (Emergency Commission), 30 Dec 39

Promoted war substantive Captain and temporary Major, 30 Mar 40

Mentioned in Despatches, 20 Dec 40

Promoted war substantive Major with effect from 26 Apr 1942

Promoted acting or temporary Lieutenant-Colonel ?

Placed on the reserve ? 1947

Liverpool Annie wrote: "I've asked you about this soldier before but I've just found out which school - on 1881 census ( badly mistranscribed !! )

I'd appreciate your help !

Thanking you in advance !

1881 - Blackwater Road, Eastbourne College RG12/1038/47/39

Sidney H Skinner ( South Lancs )"

Annie: No one by that name in the Eastbourne College Roll of War Service. The only one with that surname is Major R B Skinner, RE. Regards. Dick Flory

Trooper wrote: "Do you have any of the following in your library?

Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s

Walter Stafford Cash – King Edward’s Grammar School, Birmingham

Donald Colin Cathie – Christ’s Hospital

Archibald Murray Ewen – Robert Gordon’s School, Aberdeen

Arthur R Henry – Haileybury

Connolly G Norman (could be Norman G Connolly) Bedford Grammar School

Thomas B Sherwood – Manchester Grammar School

Frederick James Smith – King’s Hospital"

1. Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s - There is no one by this name in the Merchant Taylor's School Register. There is "Ernest Arthur Burrows, RAF"

2. There is no one with the surname Cash in the Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham 1914-1919

3. and 4. I have nothing for Christ's Hospital or Robert Gordon's School

5. Arthur Robert Henry, born Sept 1872, son of Hugh Henry, Esq., Firmont, Naas, Ireland

Educated at Haileybury from 1885 to 1888. Served as Lieut, RASC during Great War

Died 26 Feb 1952

6. Have nothing for Bedford Grammar School

7. There is no Thomas B Sherwood in the Biographical Register of Old Mancunians 1888-1951

8. Have nothing for King's Hospital.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, would you have anything on :-

MAURICE WILLIAM WALLIS EPPSTEIN of Reading School.

His father Rev William C Eppstein was Headmaster of the school between 1894 and 1914 so I guess Maurice would have nee at the school sometime during those years

Thanks

Patrick

Trooper wrote: "Do you have any of the following in your library?

Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s

Walter Stafford Cash – King Edward’s Grammar School, Birmingham

Donald Colin Cathie – Christ’s Hospital

Archibald Murray Ewen – Robert Gordon’s School, Aberdeen

Arthur R Henry – Haileybury

Connolly G Norman (could be Norman G Connolly) Bedford Grammar School

Thomas B Sherwood – Manchester Grammar School

Frederick James Smith – King’s Hospital"

1. Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s - There is no one by this name in the Merchant Taylor's School Register. There is "Ernest Arthur Burrows, RAF"

2. There is no one with the surname Cash in the Service Record of King Edward's School, Birmingham 1914-1919

3. and 4. I have nothing for Christ's Hospital or Robert Gordon's School

5. Arthur Robert Henry, born Sept 1872, son of Hugh Henry, Esq., Firmont, Naas, Ireland

Educated at Haileybury from 1885 to 1888. Served as Lieut, RASC during Great War

Died 26 Feb 1952

6. Have nothing for Bedford Grammar School

7. There is no Thomas B Sherwood in the Biographical Register of Old Mancunians 1888-1951

8. Have nothing for King's Hospital.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks for your help. Its strange how 2 sources can differ. The schools given in my enquiry all come from either a published source or from the men's service record. I wonder could a few have been embellishing their background to obtain a commission at the beginning of the war as almost all are officer's in the 10th (Irish) Division, a subject I am researching for my PhD.

Trooper

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

Could you look up the following 4 brothers when you have time:

Arthur John Porter -Dover College

Ernest George Porter- Tonbridge School

Harold Edwin Porter- Tonbridge

Charles Edward Porter- Tonbridge

Thanks

Caro

Patrick H wrote: "Dick, would you have anything on :-MAURICE WILLIAM WALLIS EPPSTEIN of Reading School. His father Rev William C Eppstein was Headmaster of the school between 1894 and 1914 so I guess Maurice would have nee at the school sometime during those years"

Patrick: Sorry, nothing on Reading School.

Caro wrote: "Could you look up the following 4 brothers when you have time: Arthur John Porter -Dover College; Ernest George Porter- Tonbridge School; Harold Edwin Porter- Tonbridge; Charles Edward Porter- Tonbridge"

1. Capt Arthur John Porter, Kent Cyclist Bn

Born 5 Feb 88

Educated at Dover College where he played on the XV

Served in the Great War as a Captain, Kent Cyclist Batt, attd to 8th Bn, R West Kent R.

Wounded, Military Cross

Married in 1914

After the war emigrated to Vancouver

In 1924 his address was: R.M.D.1, Mill Bay, Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island, BC and Avernay, Folkestone.

Source: Dover College Register, 1871 to 1924

2. Capt Ernest George Porter, The Buffs and Tank Corps

Born 1897, second son of John Edwin Porter

Pte, 19 Bn, R Fus on 11 Oct 14

2Lt, 3Bn, The Buffs SR, 19 May 15

Lt, The Buffs, 1 July 17

Served in France from 7 Nov 15 to 1 May 17

Seconded to TM Batteries from 7 Nov 15 to 14 Jan 17

OC, Y/14 TM Bty, 30 Jul 16 to 14 Jan 17

Seconded to the Tank Corps from 14 Jan 17 to 22 Jan 19

Invalided, Septic Leg, 9 Apr 17 to 21 Jul 17

Home Service from 22 Jul 17 to 4 Jan 18

Served in France from 4 Jan 18 to 11 Oct 18 (Acting Capt, 2nd in command of C Coy, 12 Heavy Tank Bn.)

Home Service from 11 Oct 18 to 22 Jan 19

Acting Capt, OC C Coy, 23 Light Tank Co, from 18 - 26 Oct 18

Temp Capt, Executive Branch, Tank Corps, 26 Oct 18 to 22 Jan 19

Demobilized from Tank Corps as Capt. on 22 Jan 19

Relinquished commission in The Buffs SR on 1 Apr 20 and granted rank of Captain.

In 1926 he was employed by G & J Porter, shipping agents in London and lived at 81, Devon Road, Cheam, Surrey

Died on 24 April 1938

Source: Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919; Tonbridge School Register 1847-1926; Tonbridge School Register 1861-1945

3. Lance Corp Harold Edwin Porter, London Regiment

Born in 1899, the third son of John Edwin Porter of Avenay, Folkestone

Student at Tonbridge School from 1913-1915

Left the school in December 1915 to enter his fathers business (shipping agents)

On his 18th Birthday, 8 June 17 he enlisted in the 3/5 Bn, Lond Regiment (LRB) on 8 Jun 17

Soon promoted to Lance Corporal

Served in France from 31 Mar 18 to 2 Sep 18

Attached as Rifleman to 1/15 Bn, London Regiment, 47 Division, Lewis Gun Section, Albert Sector, 2nd Somme; 2nd Battle of Bapaume and Occupation of Perrone, 2 Sep 18

KIA on the morning of 2 Sep 18 while going over the top with his Lewis Gun team at Moislains, near Perrone,

Sources: Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919; Tonbridge School Register 1847-1926; Tonbridge School Register 1861-1945

There is a photo of him in the first source. PM me if you would like a scan.

4. Officer Cadet Charles Edward Porter, RAF

Born in 1900; fourth son of John Edwin Porter

Served 2/28 Lond Regiment (Artist's Rifles) from 24 Jun 18 (Regt. No. 768450)

Officer Cadet, RAF from 19 Sep 18

Demobilized on 22 Jan 19

In 1926 employed by G & J Porter, wine shippers in London and living at 32 Hillcrest Road, Purley, Surrey

Played Hockey for Kent from 1922-1928

Gazetted to the RAFVR in 1940

Flight Officer, 1940, Flight Lieut., 1941, Squadron Leader, 1944

North Africa, 1942, Italy and Sicily, 1942-43

N Africa, 1944, Italy, 1944, Greece, 1944

Sources: Tonbridge School and the Great War of 1914-1919; Tonbridge School Register 1847-1926; Tonbridge School Register 1861-1945

Regards. Dick Flory

Caro wrote: "Could you look up the following 4 brothers when you have time: Arthur John Porter -Dover College; Ernest George Porter- Tonbridge School; Harold Edwin Porter- Tonbridge; Charles Edward Porter- Tonbridge"

Thanks very much for the info Dick, it's very much appreciated.

Caro

To the ever-willing and ever-patient Dick Flory ...

Apologies!

I made a gigantic cock-up. I was so frustrated by my two mystery engineers that I failed to notice, among many other details lacking were details of their schooling or higher education.

I stand reprimanded!

If you have anything on Repton School, could you tell me what there is about Kenneth Fraser Lund (1871-1953). He seems not to have been in uniform during the Great War.

Many thanks and apologies again

William

William wrote: "If you have anything on Repton School, could you tell me what there is about Kenneth Fraser Lund (1871-1953). "

Kenneth Fraser Lund

Born 10 Mar 71, the son of Rev TWM Lund

Educated at Repton School from Jan 86 to Jul 89; Hulme Hall, Owens Coll. School, 1889 and at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge from 1891

BA, Nat Sci, 1894; MB, London, 1901

LCRP, LRCS, Edinburgh; Member of the British Medical Association

Hon. Surgeon in charge, Queen's Gate Hospital 1914-1918

Asst. Medical Officer, Michie Hospital

Asst. Surg and Physician, Queen's Gate Hospital from 1918 to 1920

Divisional Surgeon, 58th Division, St. John's Ambulance Brigade

In 1922 lived 8 Collingham Road, S. Kensington, SW 5

MA Cantabury, 1930

County Surgeon, 1929

District Surgeon, 1931

Assist. Commr. Central Area, No. 1 Dist, St John's Ambulance Brigade, 1932

Officer, Order of St John of Jerusalem, 1929

Service Medal, St John's Amb. Bde, 1928

Died 24 Mar 1953

Sources: Repton School Register, 1922; Old Reptonian War Register, 1914-1919; Repton School Register, 1957; Medical Directory, 1936

Regards. Dick Flory

Wonderful, Dick!!

Fantastic detail. (Is it MA Canterbury? Surely Cambridge. Don't bother to reply!!)

Many thanks indeed!! You are a very generous and kind person!

William :D

Actually, the source stated MS Canterbury but it could be a mistake. Dick Flory

I suppose that the designation Cantab for Cambridge must have fooled a tired compiler with thousands of index cards!!

The online version of Alumni Cantabrigiensis confirms that he proceeded MA in 1930.

Thank you again

William

• 4 weeks later...

Dave wrote: "Hi, do you have anything on Preston Grammar school?"

Dave: Unfortunately I have nothing. Dick Flory