Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Ed wrote: "Major Lord Desmond FITZGERALD, Irish Guards. Died 3rd March 1916 (Accidental Injuries).

Educated Eton College.

Lieutenant R.S.J. BLACKER-DOUGLASS MC, Irish Guards. Killed 1st February 1915.

Educated Wellington College."

Major Lord Desmond FitzGerald, MC

2nd Son of Gerald, 5th Duke of Leinster of Carton, Maynooth, co. Kildare

Educated at Eton School from 1901 to 1907 where he was a member of the Oppidian Wall in 1907 and at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst

Joined the Irish Guards in 1909

Lieutenant, 1910

Adjutant and Captain, 1913

Served in France from 1914-1916 with 1st Bn, Irish Guards,

Mentioned in Despatches and Military Cross

Unmarried

Killed accidentally on 3 March 1916 in France

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Our Heroes.

There is a photo of FitzGerald in uniform in the last mentioned source.

Lieutenant Robert St. John Blacker Douglass, MC

Born at Dublin on 30 Nov 93, the eldest son of Maxwell Vandeleur and Alice Blacker Douglass of Bellevue Park, Killiney, Co. Dublin.

Educated at Hazelwood, Surrey and at Wellington College from 1906 to 1910.

Gentleman Cadet, Royal Military College, Sandhurst in 1911

2nd Lt, Irish Guards, Feb 1912

Lieut, Jan 1913

Took part, with in the battles of Mons, Landrecies, and Compiegne where he was wounded on 1 Sep 14.

Military Cross, LG of 10 Mar 15 "for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty for continuing to lead an attack after he had been wounded. He was killed in this attack."

Mentioned in French's despatch of 31 May 15

KIA while taking part in an attack on a German post; wounded and died shortly afterwords.

Sources: Bond of Sacrifice, Volume II; Our Heroes; Wellington College Register 1859-1948

There is a photo of Blacker-Douglas in civilian clothing in source #2.

If you would like scans of the photos send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

Regards. Dick Flory

Ed wrote: "Major Lord Desmond FITZGERALD, Irish Guards. Died 3rd March 1916 (Accidental Injuries).

Educated Eton College.

Lieutenant R.S.J. BLACKER-DOUGLASS MC, Irish Guards. Killed 1st February 1915.

Educated Wellington College."

Major Lord Desmond FitzGerald, MC

2nd Son of Gerald, 5th Duke of Leinster of Carton, Maynooth, co. Kildare

Educated at Eton School from 1901 to 1907 where he was a member of the Oppidian Wall in 1907 and at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst

Joined the Irish Guards in 1909

Lieutenant, 1910

Adjutant and Captain, 1913

Served in France from 1914-1916 with 1st Bn, Irish Guards,

Mentioned in Despatches and Military Cross

Unmarried

Killed accidentally on 3 March 1916 in France

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909; Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Our Heroes.

There is a photo of FitzGerald in uniform in the last mentioned source.

Lieutenant Robert St. John Blacker Douglass, MC

Born at Dublin on 30 Nov 93, the eldest son of Maxwell Vandeleur and Alice Blacker Douglass of Bellevue Park, Killiney, Co. Dublin.

Educated at Hazelwood, Surrey and at Wellington College from 1906 to 1910.

Gentleman Cadet, Royal Military College, Sandhurst in 1911

2nd Lt, Irish Guards, Feb 1912

Lieut, Jan 1913

Took part, with in the battles of Mons, Landrecies, and Compiegne where he was wounded on 1 Sep 14.

Military Cross, LG of 10 Mar 15 "for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty for continuing to lead an attack after he had been wounded. He was killed in this attack."

Mentioned in French's despatch of 31 May 15

KIA while taking part in an attack on a German post; wounded and died shortly afterwords.

Sources: Bond of Sacrifice, Volume II; Our Heroes; Wellington College Register 1859-1948

There is a photo of Blacker-Douglas in civilian clothing in source #2.

If you would like scans of the photos send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Very many thanks for the information - much appreciated.

PM sent.

Best wishes

Ed

Hello Dick

I'm also interested in the following officer, killed on 1st September 1914. I'm not sure where he was educated but I wonder whether he appears in the Bond of Sacrifice or similar?

Captain Iain MacDOUGALL (also spelt McDOUGALL in some references), 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards.

Many thanks once again!

Best wishes

Ed

Ed Matthews wrote: "I'm also interested in the following officer, killed on 1st September 1914. I'm not sure where he was educated but I wonder whether he appears in the Bond of Sacrifice or similar?

Captain Iain MacDOUGALL (also spelt McDOUGALL in some references), 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards."

Ed: Here is what I can tell you about Captain Iain MacDougall:

Born on 31 May 87 at Lunga, Co. Argyll, the only son of Colonel S. MacDougall, OC, 10th (Service) Bn, Gordon Highlanders

Eduated at Eton from 1900 to 1904 and at RMC, Sandhurst

2Lt, Grenadier Gds, 1906

Lieut, 1907

From 1910 to 1912 he was ADC to Lord Islington, Governor-General, New Zealand

1914- Bn, Adjutant, Grenadier Gds

Killed on 1 Sep 14 at Villers Cotterets, when he was shot while returning from delivering a message to some companies of the battalion. Buried by French peasants in the wood of Villers Cotteret but later his body was taken to the family vault in the old churchyard at Kilvoree, Argyllshire.

Sources: Bond of Sacrifice, Vol. 1; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War; Eton School Register, Part VII, 1899-1909.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hello Dick

I'm much obliged to you! A very interesting biography - especially the detail concerning Villers-Cotterets and the removal of his body to the UK for re-burial.

Best wishes

Ed

:) Anything on Brewood Grammar School in Staffs? I am an old boy.

tony

Hi Dick,

I wonder if you could possibly tell me if you have anything on

Stanley Ronald Kershaw GURNER.

Rifle Brigade

I belive he left the Merchant Taylors School in 1908 and went on to St. John's College, Oxford.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Hello, Dick.

I started a thread under individual soldiers, asking whether anyone had the register of Fallen Old Cliftonians. Two Pals have offered to send me a list and to photograph the memorial. One also suggested I contact you.

I'm quite content with what will come my way from the 2 Pals - I'll use their info to wade through SGDW and CWGC to tie in with an Ypres/Vimy visit in April.

I would be curious to know, however, whether you have a register for Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield?

Yours aye

Chris

tony wrote: " Anything on Brewood Grammar School in Staffs?"

Tony: Sorry, I don't have anything on Brewood Grammar School. Dick Flory

Andy wrote: "I wonder if you could possibly tell me if you have anything on

Stanley Ronald Kershaw GURNER.

Rifle Brigade

I belive he left the Merchant Taylors School in 1908 and went on to St. John's College, Oxford."

Stanley Ronald Kershaw Gurner

Born on 23 Jan 00, the son of Walter, a Bank Accountant, and Alice Gurner of Charterhouse Square

Attended Merchant Taylor's School from 1905 to 1908 where he was a School Monitor and St. John's College, Oxford.

1st Class Hon. Mods. 1910; Prox. Acc. Chancellor's Latin Verse Prize, 1910

Assistant Master, Haileybury College from 1912-1913

Assistant Master, Clifton College, 1913

Assistant Master, Marborough College, 1913-1920

Lt, Division Cyclists during Great War

Military Cross (LG 18 Jun 17), wounded, mentioned in despatches (France, 1917)

General Staff Officer, Intelligence Office, War Office

House Master, Marlborough College from 1919-1920

Head Master, Strand School, Brixton, from 1920

Sources: Merchant Taylors School Register 1851-1920; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Once again many thanks for taking the time to look and post this, it is much appreciated. Have a good Christmas.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

Does your Cambridge University Roll list by College?

If it does, and you have the time and inclination, please could you scan a list for Peterhouse?

Regards,

Stuart

Dick

I wonder whether you would possibly be kind enough to see if there's a mention for Winchester College of Lawford, Herbert M В., Capt. 9th R. Fusiliers?

Many Thanks

Anthony

Dick

I wonder whether you would possibly be kind enough to see if there's a mention for Winchester College of Lawford, Herbert M В., Capt. 9th R. Fusiliers?

Many Thanks

Anthony

Dick

Co-incidentally, as a result of another query, Andy / stiletto_33853 has kindly found the reference to Capt. Lawford in "Wykehamists Who Died in the War 1914 - 1918" Volume 2".

Regards

Anthony

Hello Dick

Could I trouble you for another look-up please?

Lieutenant Colonel Ian Graham HOGG, DSO, 4th Hussars.

Died of wounds, 2nd September 1914.

I understand that he was educated at Eton and I have a fairly comprehensive biography for him already but I'm particularly keen to obtain a photograph of him - can you help?

Best wishes

Ed

:) Thanks Dick for looking.

Tony

Dick,

If you could look up

Alfred Cyril Parsons Kings College Taunton KIA March, 1918

Samuel Parsons Kings College Taunton KIA April 9, 1917

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

post-18147-1169408119.jpg

Hi Dick,

You helped me before, recently.

Would you have the roll of ETON COLLEGE?

Looking for 2LT MARC A.P. NOBLE (M.A.P. Noble).

He is an artillery man! Royal Field Artillery

Attended Eton College between Aug.1910 and Febr.1915

Died in Flanders, near Ypres, 1 July 1917.

Born: 19 May 1897 in Newcastle

(Still have not photo of him either!)

Greets

GEERT SPILLEBEEN

geert.spillebeen@euronet.be

Marc Andrew Patrick Noble, RFA

Born 19 May 97, the 2nd son of S W A Noble of Kent House, Knightsbridge, London SW

Educated at Eton College from 1910 to 1915 and at the Royal Military College, Woolwich

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. in the RFA on 27 Oct 15

Served with C Bty, 121 Bde, RFA

Died of wounds received at Elverdinghe on 1 July 17. "In the fighting of June 30 the news came that an officer and three men were missing; Marc volunteered at once to go with the doctor in search of them and on the way received wounds of which he died the next day. He never recovered consciousness."

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1909-1919; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War, 1914-1919; Eton College Chronicle, 19 July 1917.

There is a photo of him in "War Illustrated" but I am not sure which issue it is in; probably July or August 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks al lot, Dick Flory, for the Eton College quote about 2LT Marc Noble.

You helped me AGAIN. Call on me if you need anything from the old frontline in FLanders.

GEERT SPILLEBEEN, Belgium

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am looking for a portrait of Frank Copeland Worster, Lieutenant/Captain Worcestershire Regiment.

He attended Whitgift School as a boy and was a Classics master before he joined up at St Pauls.

Dick, I wonder if you have records of Barnard Castle County School, County Durham within your reach ?

Keep up the good work.

Jarvis