Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up the information on Henry Whitehead.

Much appreciated

Could I ask you to look in the Rugby School records for Christopher Mellor Ridley, who would have been there some time between 1901 and 1911 and in the Trinity College, Cambridge records for Herbert Leslie Ridley; I believe he went up in 1913.

Thanking you in advance

Adrian

Hi Dick,

If you have Clifton College, Bristol amongst your registers and rolls of honour. Could you please look up

John Harold Bacchus and Ralph Lancelot Bacchus for me please? Both brothers were in the 13th Reinforcements, 1st Battalion, 3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade and were stretcher bearing when they were killed by the same shell at the Somme 15th September 1916.

Cheers, Diane

Keith wrote: "is William (Edmund) Ironside listed at Tonbridge School please."

Keith: Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you scans of Ironside's listings in both the of the Tonbridge volumes I have. They are too long to type out. Regards. Dick Flory

Adrian wrote: "Could I ask you to look in the Rugby School records for Christopher Mellor Ridley, who would have been there some time between 1901 and 1911 and in the Trinity College, Cambridge records for Herbert Leslie Ridley"

Captain Christopher Mellor Ridley, Essex Regt.

Born on 3 Dec 80; the second son of Walter Ridley and Louisa Catherine Ridley of Redgates, Chelmsford

Educated at Rugby School from Jan 05 to 1908

Before the war he was employed by T D Ridley & Sons, Ltd, Steam Mills, Chelmsford

Served for five years in the 5th Bn, Essex Regt, TF and was Scoutmaster of the 3rd Chelmsford Troop.

In November 1914 joined the 10th Bn, Essex Regt.

Lieut in December 1914; Captain in June 1915

Went to France in July 1915

Wounded on 1 July 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, at Mametz

Returned to the front in September 1915

KIA by a shell in the front line trenches at Thiepval on 31 Oct 16. Buried at a cemetary in Courcelette.

There is a photo of him in the last mentioned source below and I would be happy to send you a scan if you PM me your email address.

Sources: Rugby School Register, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume IV.

Captain Herbert Leslie Ridley, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Born on 7 Sept 94, the son of W. Ridley, Springfield, Tyrells, Chelmsford

Educated at Marborough College from May 1908 to 1913 (played Hockey in 1912-13, Captain) and at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1913

Served as a Captain with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Military Cross in 1917, once wounded

KIA near Ypres on 15 July 17

Sources: The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919; Marlborough College Register 1843-1933.

Dick Flory

Kooky wrote: "If you have Clifton College, Bristol amongst your registers and rolls of honour. Could you please look up John Harold Bacchus and Ralph Lancelot Bacchus for me please?

Pte John Harold Bacchus, NZEF

Son of Mrs. Bacchus of Clifton

Educated at Clifton College from May 1887 to Dec 1888

Farmed in New Zealand prior to the Great War

Private, 3rd Bn, New Zealand Rifles

KIA while volunteering as stretcher-bearer at the Somme, Sept 1916

Pte Ralph Launcelot Bacchus, NZEF

Son of Mrs. Bacchus of Clifton

Educated at Clifton College from September 1887 to July 1889

Farmed in New Zealand prior to the Great War

Private, 3rd Bn, New Zealand Rifles

KIA while volunteering as stretcher-bearer at the Somme, Sept 1916

Source: Clifton College Register, 1862-1925

Hello Dick,

Thank you so much for the information regarding the Bacchus bros at Clifton College, Bristol. :D I really appreciate you taking the time to search for them for me.

Cheers, Diane

Hello Dick

I would so appreciate your help. I am trying to confirm the identity of 2nd Lt.Eric William Bristowe Maggs. I have a photograph which could be him - of an officer from the KRRC 11th Bt. The man in the picture saved my father's life by going in front him and taking the bullet dad would have got. People on this forum have been great and we have narrowed it down to possibly Eric Maggs. He attended Charterhouse School (he was born 1896) and University College Oxford. He matriculated in 1913 to study medicine. He was killed 20th August 1918. Oxford Uni were able to give me a group photo of his year but he doesn't seem to be there. Charterhouse is my last hope - and they are closed until 30th August!

Any possibility of a photograph from Charterhouse? Thank you. Anne

Anne: I have the Charterhouse Register and he is in it as a 2nd Lt, KRRC, but unfortunately there are no photos. Dick Flory

Anne: I have the Charterhouse Register and he is in it as a 2nd Lt, KRRC, but unfortunately there are no photos. Dick Flory

Another door closed :( Thank you for your time Dick Anne

Bob: There are five officers with the surname "Maxwell-Stuart" (AJ, EJ, FJ, JJ, and WJP) in the Stonyhurst War Record. As there is no indication of their relationships I need to know to which three you are referring. Regards. Dick

Hello Dick,

Wondered if I could trouble you for following if you have the registers:

2Lt Ronald W Aspden - Chigwell Grammer School

2Lt Frank K Croucher - Southdown College, Eastbourne

2Lt Frederick Henley - Merchant Taylors School, London

2Lt Colin D Morris - Albert Memorial College, Framlingham

Thanks for your generosity in accessing this excellent collection

Des

Bob wrote: "Sorry Dick, it's AJ EJ & JJ I'm looking for."

2nd Lieut. Alfred J Maxwell-Stuart, 5th Bn, attached to 1st Bn, Coldstream Guards

Born 1898; the son of Edmund Maxwell-Stuart and his wife of Batworth Park, Arundel

Educated at Stonyhurst College from 1910 to 1917 (member of OTC for four years)

After leaving school he joined the Officer Cadet Bn., at Aldershot

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., Coldstream Guards on 27 June 1917

Sailed for France in February 1918. Owing to an attack of trench fever he had not been in the trenches, save for one or two short periods, until within a fortnight of his death

He died at Doullens, France, on 24 August 1918, from wounds received in action near Moyenneville during the Battle of Albert. Though slightly wounded earlier in the engagement, he remained with his men, urging them on, and giving them an example of absolute fearlessness in the presence of the greatest danger, until he was struck down, mortally wounded. On arrival at the Casualty Clearing Station his condition was found to be most serious. He had received several bullet wounds, both of his legs were injured, the forearm broken and gangrene poisoning had already set in. After his removal to a base hospital, blood transfusion was tried, but unsuccessfully, as his exhaustion was too great. He gradually sank and quietly expired on August 24th. He was buried at the Bagneu Military Cemetary at Gezaincourt, near Doullens.

2nd Lieut. Edmund J. Maxwell-Stuart, 175th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Born 1893, the son of Edmund Maxwell-Stuart and his wife of Batworth Park, Arundel

Educated at Stoneyhurst College from 1902 to July 1910 and entered the Royal School of Mines at the Imperial College in London in October 1910.

Originally commissioned in the 13th Bn, the East Yorkshire Regiment, but after a year transferred to the Royal Engineers

Killed in action near Ypres on 26 April 1916. At 6pm on that date the enemy opened up a heavy shelling of the portion of the trench in which he was working and he was hit by a shell fragment just below the heart and was killed instanteously.

Lieut. Joseph Maxwell-Stuart, 3rd Bn, attached to 9th Bn, The Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment

Born in 1896, the son of Edmund Maxwell-Stuart and his wife of Batworth Park, Arundel

Educated at Stoneyhurst College from 1908 to 1914

After leaving the college he was employed by the Midland Railway Company.

He was killed near Ypres on 2 March 1916 when struck in the head by a shell fragment as his battalion was moving out of the trenches on being relieved.

If you would like photos of the three brothers, please pm me with your email address.

Regards. Dick Flory

2Lt Colin D Morris - Albert Memorial College, Framlingham

Born on 23 Sept 1888

Educated at Framlingham College from 1901 to 1904

Source: Framlingham College Register, 1968

2Lt Frederick Henley - Merchant Taylors School, London

Born on 21 Sept 1895, the son of Frank L Henley, a Staff Engineer, GPO) and Louisa E. A. Henley of Ilford

Educated at Merchant Taylors School from April 1906 to 1914

Employed as a Stockbrocker's Clerk prior to the War

Served in Great War with the R. Fusiliers in France

KIA on 27 October 1916

Source: Merchant Taylors School Register, 1851-1920.

I am afraid I have nothing on the other two officers mentioned.

Dick Flory

Guest aweckert

Hi Dick,

I am trying to help a relative find her birth father's father. He was at Eton, surname Randle, around the same time as one James Arthur Martin, possibly late 1890's. Family story says Randle was in the French Foreign Legion. Randle went to India (date unknown) possibly married there, Doris Ann Gascoyne who had gone over as a nurse. They had a son Robert John born c1915. Randle died or was killed. Have searched GRO indexes for marriage and birth of son in England with no success.

Doris then married James Arthur Martin in 1919 Thame, Oxfordshire and he adopted the boy.

Any details would be gratefully received, thanks

aweckert

Hi Dick

anything on these 2 lads please

Name: FRASER, JOHN COURTENAY

Initials: J C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards

Secondary Regiment: Guards Machine Gun Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd.

Date of Death: 09/09/1918

Awards: MC

Additional information: Son of Rose Mabel Fraser, of 5, Kelso Place, Kensington, London, and the late Capt. Thomas Fraser (1st Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders). Educated at Fette College, Edinburgh.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON

Name: COLE, HUMFREY THEODORE SHULDHAM

Initials: H T S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 12/02/1917

Additional information: Son of Canon T. E. F. and Mrs. E. M. Cole, of Longford Rectory, Shropshire. Educated at Radley and Oxford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 52.

Cemetery: VARENNES MILITARY CEMETERY

I dont even know if there is a Radley school, but any help would be appreciated

Chris

Chris wrote: Anything on these 2 lads please: FRASER, JOHN COURTENAY and COLE, HUMFREY THEODORE SHULDHAM.

Capt. John Courtenay Fraser, Grenadier Guards.

Born in April 1890: son of Major Fraser, Castlehill, Inverness

Educated at Fettes College from 1902 to July 1907.

Before the war he was a farmer.

Served in France; awarded MC;

Drowned off Milford Haven by torpedoing of S.S. Missambie on 9 Sept 1918

Sources: Fettes College Register, 1870-1932 and 1870-1970

2nd Lieut. Humfrey Theodore Shuldham Cole, 10th Bn, London Regiment

Son of the Rev. Theodore Edward Fortescue Cole, Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral, Calcutta

Educated at Radley College from 1910 to 1913 and at Oxford University in 1915

During the Great War he served as a 2nd Lieut. 10th Bn, London Regiment attached to the KOYSLI

Died of wounds on 12 February 1917

Source: Radley Register 1847-1933; Oxford University Roll of Service.

Regards. Dick Flory

aweckert wrote: I am trying to help a relative find her birth father's father. He was at Eton, surname Randle, around the same time as one James Arthur Martin, possibly late 1890's. Family story says Randle was in the French Foreign Legion. Randle went to India (date unknown) possibly married there, Doris Ann Gascoyne who had gone over as a nurse. They had a son Robert John born c1915. Randle died or was killed. Have searched GRO indexes for marriage and birth of son in England with no success.

Doris then married James Arthur Martin in 1919 Thame, Oxfordshire and he adopted the boy.

Any details would be gratefully received, thanks

The Eton Registers from 1893 to 1919 do not list anyone with the surname "Randle", nor do the list a "James Arthur Martin. Dick Flory

Dick

great stuff - my thanks

Chris

I have over 400 British school, college and university registers and rolls of honor and will be happy to do lookups

Hi Dick

Can you look up two brothers for me. Both attended Burford School, Oxfordshire.

Cecil John Mace born 1892 served 4th Battn. Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

Thomas Henry Mace born 1886 unsure of Regiment.

Many thanks

Clare

Dick,

Many many thanks for the Maxwell-Stuart brothers info, just what I was looking for.

Sorry for the late acknowledgement of your efforts as I have just got back from four days in Belgium.

Once again thank you.

Bob.