Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick, you recently kindly looked up this man for me at Felsted School

Haydon Stratton Lyle kia 6 Nov 1918 of 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles (British Columbia Regiment).

Could you tell me if there are any other old boys with the surname of "Lyle" on the roll of honour at Felsted.

Many thanks

Kate

Hello Dick, thanks very much for your rapid response to my request for a lookup re: Edward John Patrick FitzGerald Macartney-Filgate. A great help in directing my future research efforts down the right path. Thanks again. Regards, Ron Hartley

Hello Dick, Could I prevail upon you again to look up Lt Col Hugh Auriol Stanton Stanton, DSO. He was educated at Radley College somewhere between 1890-1898. In addition, I have two Royal Artillery Officers who I have been researching, namely Brigadier General Clennell William Collingwood CMG, DSO and Lieutenant General Sir Herbert C C Uniacke KCB, KCMG, and would appreciate any information you might be able to access. They were both educated at The RMA, Woolwich. Thanks. Regards, Ron Hartley

Hi Dick

I wondered if you had anything on Capt Malcomson Gardiner Donahoo 8th KOYLI DOW 31.1.17 educated at Charterhouse and Clare College Cambridge. I managed to get quite a bit on the soldiers section of the forum and wondered if you could find him in your records.

Thanks Hambo

Ron Hartley wrote: "Could I prevail upon you again to look up Lt Col Hugh Auriol Stanton Stanton, DSO."

Educated at Radley College from 1893 to 1896

Born on 3 March 1880, the son of Captain Frank Robert Stanton, R Scots

2nd Lieut, Worcesters, Militia, 1898

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut (from the Militia) in the R Scots on 21 April 1900

Served in S African War, 1901-1902 as Assistant Press Censor (QSA Medal with 5 clasps)

Lieutenant, 20 February 1902

Captain, 8 March 1909

In 1910 he married Frances May, the daughter of Colonel Sir William Yorke Foster, 3rd Baronet, CBE

Major, 1 Sept 1915

Served in France from 1915-1917 on the staff and comdg. 1/5th Bn, W Riding Regt

Temp Lt Col, 1916

Wounded and twice mentioned in despatches

Distinguished Service Order in London Gazette of

Retired on account of wounds in 1926

His brother, 2nd Lieut. Harold John Stanton, Northumberland Fusiliers, died of wounds received at Nooitgedacht on 30 Dec 1900.

In 1931 he was living at Chalet Myosotis, Chateau d'Oex, Switzerland

There is a photo of him in the last mentioned source.

Sources: Radley Register, 1847-1933; Debrett's Baronetage, Knightage and Companionage, 1931; The Distinguished Service Order, 1886-1923.

Dick Flory

Hambro wrote: "I wondered if you had anything on Capt Malcomson Gardiner Donahoo 8th KOYLI DOW 31.1.17'

Captain Malcolm Gardiner Donahoo

Born on 7 Dec 73, the son of Thomas Malcolmson Donahoo. MD

Educated at Charterhouse School from 1888 to 1891 and at Clare College, Cambridge, BA, 1892.

Admitted as Solicitor in Feb, 1901

Practiced at 28 Street, Swithin's Lane, EC

2nd Lieut, 8th Bn, KOYLI, 21 Feb 15

Served in France from Aug 1915 to Jan 1917

Lieut, July 1916

Acting Capt, Aug 1916

Military Cross

Died of wounds on 31 Jan 17

His first name is given as Malcolm in sources 1 and 2 and as Malcolmson in the last source.

Sources: Charterhouse Register, 1872-1931; Charterhouse in London; War List of University of Cambridge 1914-1919; Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks for the information on Captain Donahoo, much appreciated

Hambo

Dick

Thanks for the information on Captain Donahoo, much appreciated

Hambo

Dick, This is a very kind offer you made over a year ago now!

Could I ask if you have info on A.F.Berkeley and J.J.C.Berkeley at Bedford School (i.e. the public school in Bedford). They just might be entered as G.A.F. von Berckefeldt and J.J.C von Berckefeldt - although I doubt it as they changed their names at a young age.

Thanks.

Dick,

Could you please do a lookup for me in the Marlborough College Register.

Second Lieutenant Gerald Lascelles Woulfe, 6th Northamptonshire Regiment, KIA 14-7-1916, born 1889 in Croydon, attended Marlborough College (and boarded age 10 at Bexhill, Hastings,but I can't quite track the school)

Many thanks if you can,

Steve.

Steve wrote: "Could you please do a lookup for me in the Marlborough College Register.

Second Lieutenant Gerald Lascelles Woulfe, 6th Northamptonshire Regiment, KIA 14-7-1916, born 1889 in Croydon, attended Marlborough College (and boarded age 10 at Bexhill, Hastings,but I can't quite track the school)"

Steve: Not much in the Marlborough College Register, 1843-1933:

Woulfe, Gerald Lascelles, born 22 Sept 1889, son of R T Woulfe, Sydeny Lodge, Croydon. At Marlborough College from April 1904 to 1906. Solicitor 1912. Great War: 6th North'n R.; 2nd Lieut, 1914. Killed in action on 14 July 1916.

"Northamptonshire and the Great War" indicates that he was killed during the capture of Trones Wood. During the three hour battle the 6th Northamptionshire's lost six officers killed (including Woulfe) and nine wounded. There is a photo of Woulfe in that book. If you send me your email address by PM, I will send you a scan.

"Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks in the Great War" indicates the following:

Admitted as a Solicitor in November 1912. Member of Wakeford, May, Woulfe & Gwyther of 37 Bloomsbury Square, WC. Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Northamptonshire Regt. in Sept 1914. Served in France in 1915 and 1916. Killed in the Battle of the Somme, 14 July 1916.

Regards. Dick Flory

Steve wrote: "Could you please do a lookup for me in the Marlborough College Register.

Second Lieutenant Gerald Lascelles Woulfe, 6th Northamptonshire Regiment, KIA 14-7-1916, born 1889 in Croydon, attended Marlborough College (and boarded age 10 at Bexhill, Hastings,but I can't quite track the school)"

Steve: Not much in the Marlborough College Register, 1843-1933:

Woulfe, Gerald Lascelles, born 22 Sept 1889, son of R T Woulfe, Sydeny Lodge, Croydon. At Marlborough College from April 1904 to 1906. Solicitor 1912. Great War: 6th North'n R.; 2nd Lieut, 1914. Killed in action on 14 July 1916.

"Northamptonshire and the Great War" indicates that he was killed during the capture of Trones Wood. During the three hour battle the 6th Northamptionshire's lost six officers killed (including Woulfe) and nine wounded. There is a photo of Woulfe in that book. If you send me your email address by PM, I will send you a scan.

"Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks in the Great War" indicates the following:

Admitted as a Solicitor in November 1912. Member of Wakeford, May, Woulfe & Gwyther of 37 Bloomsbury Square, WC. Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Northamptonshire Regt. in Sept 1914. Served in France in 1915 and 1916. Killed in the Battle of the Somme, 14 July 1916.

Regards. Dick Flory

Alasdair wrote: "Could I ask if you have info on A.F.Berkeley and J.J.C.Berkeley at Bedford School (i.e. the public school in Bedford). They just might be entered as G.A.F. von Berckefeldt and J.J.C von Berckefeldt - although I doubt it as they changed their names at a young age."

Unfortunately I do not have a register or roll of honour for Bedford School. Dick Flory

Thanks, Dick.

Just invested in Northamptonshire and the Great War, so got the Pic(s). Young looking chap in the portrait pic, but the moustache adds a little to his age in the officers line up...

Nice hole in my wallet, by the way!

Following up some of the Officers of the 6th Northamptonshires.

Thanks for the information from the other books. It certainly adds to what I've already gathered.

Many thanks again.

Steve.

Hello Dick, I note from your earlier listings that you have a copy of The Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery 1912-1918 and Shropshire Gunners in Trenches. Could you please have a look to see if there is any mention of 604177, Cpl William Henry Redman who was awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette 11.2.1919) whist serving with 293 Brigade RFA. His number indicates service with the 1/1 Shropshire RHA who formed part of 293 Bde RFA in the Great War. Many thanks. Regards, Ron

Ron: Unfortunately nothing about Cpl. Redman, probably because the pamphlet centers on the Shropshire men in the 58th TMB, RFA rather than on those who served in the 293rd Army Brigade, RFA. Dick Flory

Hello Dick, Thanks very much for looking for Cpl Redman. He was a Boer War Veteran (East Kent R LSGC) working as a groom on a Country Estate in Shropshire when war broke out. Hence his recruitment into the Shropshire RHA. Thanks again. Regards, Ron

Unfortunately I do not have a register or roll of honour for Bedford School. Dick Flory

OK - Not to worry! Thanks.....

Lt Oakley E F 1st Battalion South Lancs

Edward Francis Oakeley son of Sir Charles and Ellen Oakeley

IGI indicates that his name could also be spelt Oakeley - fathers full name Charles William Atholl Oakeley. ( He's on the 1901 under that spelling with a second wife Elizabeth.)

Edward F Oakeley 10mo Hastings, Sussex Son St George

Ellen Oakeley 35 Notting Hill, Middlesex Wife St George

Sir Charles W A Oakeley 42 Ealing, Middlesex Head - no occupation income derived from dividends

left out the servants - there are 5

Hi Dick this is one of my last officers - I have no idea of school - by any chance would you be able to find something?? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanking you in advance!

Annie :)

Hello Dick, Another of 'my men' I am researching is Major Douglas Harold Green, OBE, MC who served with the Royal Engineers (Special Reserve). He was educated at Bishops Stortford College and studied engineering at the City & Guilds Central Technical College, where he received the degree of BSc (Eng) in 1910. I would be most grateful if you could kindly have a look to see if he is mentioned in the above College Rolls. Many thanks for your help. Regards, Ron

Dick,

do you have anything on Sidney Milsom, Bath Colege. KIA 30/7/15, 8th Rifle Brigade.

Andy

Dick,

Just found out he was at Selwyn College Cambridge as well, any help would be greatfully received.

Andy

Andy wrote "do you have anything on Sidney Milsom, Bath Colege. KIA 30/7/15, 8th Rifle Brigade"

Andy: I have nothing on Bath College and his entry in "The War List of the University of Cambridge" only gives the following: 2nd Lieut. Rifle Brigade. Killed in action at Hooge 30 Jul 15."

Regards. Dick

Ron wrote: "I am researching is Major Douglas Harold Green, OBE, MC who served with the Royal Engineers (Special Reserve). He was educated at Bishops Stortford College and studied engineering at the City & Guilds Central Technical College"

Major Douglas Harold Green, OBE, MC, RE

Educated at City and Guilds College from 1907 to 1910 (BSc, Eng)

In Public Works Department in India before war

Major, RE in France from Feb 1915 to March 1919 (OBE, MC, 4 MID, Chev, O Crown (Rumania)

OBE, London Gazette of 3 Junnnnnnn 19

MC, London Gazette of 14 Jan 16

MIDs: London Gazette, 30 Nov 15, 13 Nov 16, 7 Nov 17, 16 Mar 19

Order of Crown, Chev (Rumania), London Gazette of 20 Sep 19

After war was Engineer and Manager, J Laing & Sons, Ltd, Contractors, Carlisle and Managing Director, The Trussed Steel Company, Ltd, London.

Regards/ Dick Flory