Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Does your reference material have anything to say about this officer who attended Haileybury College and Selwyn College, Cambridge?

CWGC details are:

Name: UPTON, RALPH HAMON WEELEY

Initials: R H W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn. attd. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Additional information: Son of George Rupert Thomas Upton and Margaret Harriet Eleanor, his wife (nee Tomkin), of Northholme, Mitcham, Surrey. Scholar of Haileybury College and Selwyn College, Cambridge. Born at Mitcham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Special Memorial 22.

Cemetery: WANCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

KIA on 3/5/1917 Arras sector

With thanks,

Chris

Chris wrote:

Does your reference material have anything to say about this officer who attended Haileybury College and Selwyn College, Cambridge?

CWGC details are:

Name: UPTON, RALPH HAMON WEELEY

2nd Lieut. Ralph Hamon Weeley Upton, E Surrey Regt

Born 7 July 1897; son of George Rupert Thomas Upton of Mitcham, Surrey, a Barrister and his wife, Margaret, daughter of Rev. James Tomkin, Rector of Raydon, Suffolk.

Educated at Haileybury College from 1911 to 1916 (Senior Scholar, Head of Melvill House, College Prefect; played on Cricket XI in 1915 and football XV in 1914-1915; Sergt. Major in OTC).

Scholar at Selwyn College, U of Cambridge, 1916.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., 8th (Service) Bn., East Surrey Regt., Spec. Reserve on 11 Aug 16.

Went to France with the 8th Bn. on 16 Sep 16 and served in operations on the Somme

Killed in action on 3 May 1917, during an attack near Cherisy, southeast of Arras, being shot while he was reorganizing his company after an enforced retirement to the trench from which the attack had been launched.

Sources: DeRuvigney's Roll of Honour; Haileybury College Register, 1931.

His photo is below. Dick Flory

post-765-1132212974.jpg

2nd Lieut. Ralph Hamon Weeley Upton, E Surrey Regt

Dick,

Many thanks for the information about this officer, and the photo too! Despite attending Selwyn College, he does not appear to be on the Chapel Memorial. What the qualification for appearing there was, I've no idea.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris: Interestingly, he is also not listed in "The Roll of Service of Cambridge University in the Great War." Because he is listed as a Scholar at Selwyn College in 1916 and also commissioned in 1916, I suspect that he was admitted as a scholar at the college but never actually matriculated and therefore does not appear on the Chapel Memorial or in the Roll of Service. Dick

Chris:  Interestingly, he is also not listed in "The Roll of Service of Cambridge University in the Great War."  Because he is listed as a Scholar at Selwyn College in 1916 and also commissioned in 1916, I suspect that he was admitted as a scholar at the college but never actually matriculated and therefore does not appear on the Chapel Memorial or in the Roll of Service.  Dick

Dick,

I'm sure you are right, didn't actually get a degree, so not on Roll or Memorial.

Regards,

Chris.

To all forum members: Because of the new policy on the uploading of photos to URLs, I will no longer be offering photos of fallen officers and men on this topic.

Dick Flory

Dick,

Do you have records for the Whitgift School, Croydon Surrey?

If so, could you please see if the following brothers get a mention:

Henry Stewart Jackson

Arthur Gordon Jackson

CWGC details are:

Name: JACKSON, HENRY STEWART

Initials: H S

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 11 C and 12 A.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: JACKSON, ARTHUR GORDON

Initials: A G

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn. attd. 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/02/1917

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 23.

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

With thanks,

Chris.

Hi Dick

Not having the roll myself Im unsure if the only chaps covered are those KIA? If not, I would be grateful for a survivor:

Albert William OAKMAN of Hoddesden Church School, Beds.

Initially Pte 14433 Bedfords, then Cpl, Sgt etc until commissioned 2/Lt in 4 Bedfords, later 2/4 Oxs & Bucks LI. Won MC for galantry on 27-9-1918 at 2nd Cambrai in 4 Beds.

Thanks in advance mate :D

Steve

ps; if there should be a pic, stevefuller7@yahoo.co.uk please?!! Thanks ...

Chris B wrote:

Do you have records for the Whitgift School, Croydon Surrey?

If so, could you please see if the following brothers get a mention:

Henry Stewart Jackson

Arthur Gordon Jackson

Lieut. Henry Stewart Jackson, KOYLI

Son of Rev. Sydney and Mrs. Jackson, 86 Greyhound Lane, Streatham

Educated at Whitgift School from 1907-1911 and served as a Private in the OTC.

Before the war was a medical student in the London Hospital

Joined the Red Cross Service at the outbreak of war

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut. in the KOYLI in June 1916

Fought near Albert and was KIA on the Somme on 1 July 1916.

Source: Whitgift Grammar School, The Book of Remembrance, 1914-1919.

His photo is attached.

There is no listing for Arthur Gordon Jackson. Regards. Dick

post-765-1132678174.jpg

Steve Fuller wrote:

Not having the roll myself Im unsure if the only chaps covered are those KIA? If not, I would be grateful for a survivor:

Albert William OAKMAN of Hoddesden Church School, Beds.

Steve: I have no listing for Hoddesden Church School and nothing on Oakman. Sorry. Dick

Steve Fuller wrote: 

Steve:  I have no listing for Hoddesden Church School and nothing on Oakman.  Sorry.  Dick

Many thanks for looking anyway Dick. Appreciated mate :D

Dick,

Many thanks for posting all the details and photo of Henry Stewart Jackson. I will keep looking for his borther.

Regards,

Chris.

Dick

It's been a while but it's me again

Do you have anything on

Captain Henry Lloyd Martin killed in action 28th of September 1916, B Company, 7th Battalion The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment

Heres hoping

Hambo

Dick

It's been a while but it's me again

Do you have anything on

Captain Henry Lloyd Martin killed in action 28th of September 1916, B Company, 7th Battalion The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment

Heres hoping

Hambo

Hi Dick!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I wonder if you possibly have any information on these two brothers - I'd appreciate your help - thanking you in advance!

Annie

Captain GEOFFREY MICHAEL JOHN SICHEL

3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment

who died age 25

on 09 February 1915

Son of Walter S. and Constance Elizabeth Sichel, of 50, Egerton Gardens, South Kensington, London. Joined 18th Sept., 1909. Served with the 3rd Bn. in Singapore and India.

Remembered with honour

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Captain OLIVER WALTER SICHEL

5th Bn. attd. 2nd/6th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment

who died age 26

on 25 October 1918

Son of Walter and Constance Elizabeth Sichel, of 50, Egerton Gardens, South Kensington, London.

Remembered with honour

AWOINGT BRITISH CEMETERY

Hambo wrote:

Dick  Do you have anything on  Captain Henry Lloyd Martin killed in action 28th of September 1916, B Company, 7th Battalion The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment

Captain Henry Lloyd Martin, The Queens

Born in 1880; the only son of James Martin of Hunton, Limpsfield, Surrey

Educated at Tonbridge School from 1893-1895

In 1895 joined the Stock Exchange in the office Messrs. Martin & Hilder and later became a partner in the firm of A Brampton & Co.

joined the Artists Rifles

Scoutmaster of the Lingfield and Dormansland Troop and District Scoutmaster of East Surrey Assn.

Commissioned as a Temp. Lieutenant, 7th Bn, The Queen's, on 23 Sep 14

Temp. Captain, 13 Mar 15

Served in France from 26 Jul 15 to 28 Sep 16 where he served with the 7th Bn, The Queen's, in 55th Brigade, 18 Division, Fourth Army (served as Intelligence Officer and Company Commander of B Company)

Slightly wounded by accidental explosion of bombs behind the trenches on 25 May 16

Took part in the Battle of Somme in 1916; the Battle of Bazentin Ridge 14-17 Jul 16; Trones Wood; the Battle of Thiepval Ridge, 26-18 Sep 16; capture of Schwaben Redoubt.

Slightly wounded in the attack on Trones Wood on 13 Jul 16

While leading B Company in its successful attack on Schwaben Redoubt, Thiepval, he was killed in action by a shell on 28 Sep 16 at the age of 36.

Sources: Tonbridge and School in the Great War; Tonbridge School Register, 1861-1945.

I have attached a photo of him from the first-named reference. Regards. Dick

post-765-1132860469.jpg

Hello Mr Flory,

I have found a photograph of an officer in the RFA you were looking for a while back:

Lt. Col. Edward Robert Burne, RFA, KIA, Ghelnwe, 1 Oct 1918

Are you still interested, or have you since found a photo?

Regards

David

Annie wrote:

I wonder if you possibly have any information on these two brothers:

Captain GEOFFREY MICHAEL JOHN SICHEL and Captain OLIVER WALTER SICHEL?

Captain Oliver Walter Sichel

The only son of Walter Sydney Sichel, author and barrister, and Constance Elizabeth Sichel, eldest daughter of John Holms, MP for Hackney;

Educated at Harrow School from 1906 to 1910; played on Football XI from 1908 to 1910; well known for his fine voice. His father founded the "Oliver Sichel Prize" for singing, after his death.

Joined the Inns of Court OTC

Captain, June 1915

Joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in France in November 1916 near Albert

Invalided home in August 1917 and returned to the front in January 1918

Commanded a Pioneer Company during the retreat of March 1918

On 24 October 1918 he led an attack on Vendegies, between Cambrai and Valenciennes, marching ahead with a Lewis gun section under heavy artillery fire. He was badly wounded and left in a house which was later occupied by the Germans. The village was eventually recaptured and he was sent to Casualty Clearing Station No. 45 at Avignont, but died the next day.

Sources: Harrow Memorials, Volume VI; Harrow School Register 1845-1925.

I have not been able to find anything on his brother. Dick

post-765-1132861429.jpg

Dick

What would we all do without you, many thanks and hope the turkey and pumpkin pie were good this year

Thanks Hambo

Dick

I have one more request

Have you got anything on

Lt James Scovell Adams

B Company 7th Queens, RWS

KIA 8.8.18 aged 19 Son of James and Nora Adams of Limpsfield

Many Thanks Hambo

OK I lied!

I have some info and hold out some hope of the following

2nd Lt Clive Maxwell Bailey RFC

Killed in training 3.8.17 aged 23

It is thought that he was originally in the 19th (2nd Public Schools) Battalion Royal Fusiliers in 1914.

I though the public schools part might find him in one of your books

Heres hoping (again) and much appreciated

Hambo

Liverpool Annie wrote:

PS I just noticed - he wasn't an "only son" !!

My mistake, I missed a word in typing. It should have read "only surviving son." Dick

Hi Dick - here's the other brother again! Do you have any suggestions where else can I look? - he's not on British Jewry - 1914-1916 Officers - his family lived for many years in Manchester - but I am at a standstill with him - I'd appreciate your input!!

Annie

3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment

who died age 25

on 09 February 1915

Son of Walter S. and Constance Elizabeth Sichel, of 50, Egerton Gardens, South Kensington, London. Joined 18th Sept., 1909. Served with the 3rd Bn. in Singapore and India.

Remembered with honour

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

PS by the way I only mentioned about "the only son" in case it was interpreted wrongly on your information !!

Annie wrote:

here's the other brother again! Do you have any suggestions where else can I look? - he's not on British Jewry - 1914-1916 Officers - his family lived for many years in Manchester - but I am at a standstill with him - I'd appreciate your input!!

Annie: I found him:

Captain George Michael John Sichel

Born at Campden Hill, London, on 15 May 1890; the elder son of Walter Sydney Sichel of 50, Egerton Gardens SW and his wife Constance Elizabeth, eldest daughter of John Holms, MP

Educated at Bradfield College from Sept 1903 to July 1909 (Prefect 1908; Football 1908) and at RMC, Sandhurst from 1908-1909

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., 3rd Middlesex Regt. on 18 Sep 1909

Promoted to Lieutenant on 27 Sept 18

Before the war he was serving in India

Left for France on 18 Jan 1915

Killed in action three miles east of Ypres on 9 Feb 1915 while his battalion was engaged in repelling an attack of the Prussian Guard.

Sources: Bradfield College Register, 1935; DeRuvigney's Roll of Honour, Vol. 1, Part 1.

His photo is attached below. Regards. Dick

post-765-1133067034.jpg