Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Annie: According to a message from Chris Baker he is moving the photos to another server and they should be back up shortly. If it doesn't come up in a short time send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you a jpg attachment. Regards. Dick

As mentioned in an earlier post from the 14th December 1918 edition of 'The Sphere' a photograph of Lieut-Col. E R Burne

Burne%20Artillery.jpg

Hello Dick,

I have asked previously for your help with my research on Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, kia 26th Aug 1918. At the time I first contacted you I was unable to give you any idea of where best to look with regard to his schooling and university education. However, tonight another forum member has found his obituary DH Macartney obituary in The Times, which states that he attended Highgate School and University College, London. If you have the relevant reference material, I am hoping that you may be able to add to the information given in the obituary (also, a photo of this man has been one of my main quests over the past year or two).

Thank you,

Stuart

Stuart wrote: "I have asked previously for your help with my research on Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, kia 26th Aug 1918. At the time I first contacted you I was unable to give you any idea of where best to look with regard to his schooling and university education. However, tonight another forum member has found his obituary DH Macartney obituary in The Times, which states that he attended Highgate School and University College, London. If you have the relevant reference material, I am hoping that you may be able to add to the information given in the obituary (also, a photo of this man has been one of my main quests over the past year or two)."

Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney

Born on 13 Jul 1888, the son of Sir Halliday Macartney, KCMG, Harley Place, Regent's Park, NW

Educated at Highgate School from Sept 01 to December 1903.

From 1902 to 1906 was a student in the Engineering Faculty of Univerity College, University of London.

At leaving school he went to Canada and then travelled extensively in Japan and Central Asia.

For sometime he was connected to the Canadian Bank of Commerce, but resigned to run a ranch in Saskatchewan.

Enlisted as a Private but later commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the PPCLI on 20 Jan 17

Wounded and Gassed.

Killed in action on 26 Aug 18 and buried in the British Cemetary at Vis-en-Artois.

Sources: Univ. Coll. Lond., Univ. Coll. Hosp., and Med. School, A Record, 1914-1919, Volume II; Highgate School Roll, 1833-1922.

I have attached a photo of him from the first named source:

post-765-1133245437.jpg

David: Thanx for the photo of Lt Colonel E R Burne, RFA. I really appreciate it. Regards. Dick Flory

HI

DO YOU HAVE A EASTBOURNE COLLEGE WW1 MEMORIAL ROLL OF HONOUR.

I AM HUNTING FOR EDWARD GEORGE BRADSHAW MILLER-STIRLING

THANKS

FRED

Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney

Educated at Highgate School from Sept 01 to December 1903.

From 1902 to 1906 was a student in the Engineering Faculty of Univerity College, University of London.

Dick,

Thank you for your time and effort in finding and posting Donald's photo - I now know what he looked like, at last.

The only point that I am puzzling over is the age at which he attended Univerity College, London. From his date of birth (which matches other sources) he would have been only 15 years old in 1903, and so would have left university in 1906 at the grand old age of 18! Was he a child prodigy, or does anyone know whether UCL had some sort of school set-up at this time? Are there other similar-aged men (i.e. attended UCL at a young age) listed in the UCL roll of honour?

Thanks again,

Stuart

Dick

We have quite a lot of information of Major RM Henman RA. Would you be intersted in receiving this ? Surprisingly no one at Woolwich seemed interested

Andrew French

Asst Curator

Berks Yeo Museum

Andrew French wrote: "We have quite a lot of information of Major RM Henman RA. Would you be intersted in receiving this ? Surprisingly no one at Woolwich seemed interested"

Andrew: I would be very happy to receive whatever information you have on Major RM Henman, RA. I will send you my email and snail mail address by PM. Regards. Dick Flory

Fred wrote: "DO YOU HAVE A EASTBOURNE COLLEGE WW1 MEMORIAL ROLL OF HONOUR.

I AM HUNTING FOR EDWARD GEORGE BRADSHAW MILLER-STIRLING"

Lieut. Edward George Bradshaw Miller-Stirling

Educated at Eastbourne College from 1905 to 1909 where he was keen on sports includinggg Rugby and had his first Running "strings" at the College.

Then went to Aspatria Agricultural College, Cumberland.

Became farm pupil at near Wooler and Kelso until Dec 1912

Left for Ceyolon in Feb 1913 and was Assistant Manager on a tea estate until August 1914

Joined the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps in Aug 1914 and went to Egypt with them in November.

Given a Temporary Commission in the Indian Army in Nov 1914 and attached to the 69th Punjabis.

Served in Egypt until going to Gallipoli in May 1915

Served in France with the Bareilly-Meerut Division of the Indian Army until the Indian Corps left France

Returned to Egypt in 1916 and took part in the Aden operations

In June 1916 he joined the Black Watch as a Lieutenant and served on the Tigris and throughout the capture of Kut and Baghdad on 11 Mar 1917.

He was Killed in Action about 25 miles from Baghdad on 14 March 1917

Source: Eastbourne College Roll of War Service 1914-1918.

Unfortunately no photo. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

I was wondering whether you had any luck with Adams or Bailey?

Thanks Hambo

Dick

Please will you check for an entry for Eton regarding Lt Colonel Percy Archer Clive Grenadier Guards/Lancs Fusiliers died: 04/04/1918 ? I know that his son Lewis Clive, killed in action during Spanish Civil War attended Eton but I am not sure if it was also Percy's school.

Regards

Myrtle

I have just found out that Lt Col Percy Archer Clive did attend Eton.

Edited by Myrtle

Guest Helen South

Hi Dick,

Thanks so much for your generous offer!

I'm looking for information on Capt Douglas Cutbush, M.C., 5th BN Middlesex Regt, attatched to the 4th, KIA Arras, 10 April 1917. He was the son of W. H. Cutbush. He is commemorated in the St Wilfrid's memorial for Holyrood School (which I assume must also be in Bognor. Haven't had much success finding out more about it.)

http://www.wilfrid.com/people/holyrood_sch.htm#Cutbush,%20D.

Given that he was 21 when he was killed, I figured he'd have been in his last year of school (if he left at 17) in 1913.

(I think he may have had a brother, Patrick, who was born in 1902, as I'm pretty sure there was only one WH Cutbush, but I don't know if he attended Holyrood or not. )

best regards

Helen S.

Myrtle wrote: "Please will you check for an entry for Eton regarding Lt Colonel Percy Archer Clive Grenadier Guards/Lancs Fusiliers died: 04/04/1918 ?"

Lt. Col. Percy Archer Clive, Grenadier Guards

Twice wounded

Killed in France on 5 Apr 1918

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War, 1914-1919.

Regards. Dick

Helen wrote: "I'm looking for information on Capt Douglas Cutbush, M.C., 5th BN Middlesex Regt, attatched to the 4th, KIA Arras, 10 April 1917. He was the son of W. H. Cutbush. He is commemorated in the St Wilfrid's memorial for Holyrood School"

Helen: Unfortunately I do not have anything on Holyrood School. Dick Flory

Helen wrote: "I'm looking for information on Capt Douglas Cutbush, M.C., 5th BN Middlesex Regt, attatched to the 4th, KIA Arras, 10 April 1917. He was the son of W. H. Cutbush. He is commemorated in the St Wilfrid's memorial for Holyrood School"

Helen: Unfortunately I do not have anything on Holyrood School. Dick Flory

Hi Dick!

There is a College in Guernsey Channel Islands - I think it was called St Elizabeth's

I think my S. Lancashire Capt. E.T. James went there! - I know I sound vague - but is there any chance you would have that??

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Annie wrote: "There is a College in Guernsey Channel Islands - I think it was called St Elizabeth's

I think my S. Lancashire Capt. E.T. James went there! "

Annie: Sorry, nothing on St. Elizabeth's. Dick

Lt. Col. Percy Archer Clive, Grenadier Guards

Twice wounded

Killed in France on 5 Apr 1918

Sources: List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War, 1914-1919.

Regards. Dick

Thanks Dick.

Is that the usual amount written for old Etonians ?

Myrtle

Annie wrote: "There is a College in Guernsey Channel Islands - I think it was called St Elizabeth's

I think my S. Lancashire Capt. E.T. James went there! "

Annie: Sorry, nothing on St. Elizabeth's. Dick

Thank you for looking Dick!

I got all excited 'cos I thought I had found something!! :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board!!

I appreciate your help!

Annie

Myrtle wrote: "Is that the usual amount written for old Etonians?"

Myrtle: Actually that is the minimum amount on old Etonians. There are three sources for biographical material concerning Etonians who served in the Great War. (1) "Etonians Who Served in the Great War, 1914-1919" which gives only a line or two of information; (2) The "Eton School Register" this has more complete information on Great War service, but only back to Part VII, 1909-1919; and (3) "The Old Public School Boys Who's Who, Eton." This is the largest of the three sources with long, detailed biographies, but it is rather selective as to who is included. In the case of Lt. Col. Clive, he was at Eton in 1890 so there is no Great War info for him in source (2) above and he is not listed in source (3), so that left the very limited information from source (1). Regards. Dick

Dick

Thank you again for the clarification. By any chance is there mention of his son Lewis Clive in "The Old Public School Boys Who's Who Eton." If not would you please let me know when this source was published ?

Thanks

Myrtle

Myrtle: No one by the name of Clive in the book. It was published in 1933 by St. James Press which according to the Preface intended to publish a similar volume for each public school. As far as I know this was the only volume published. Regards. Dick Flory