The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Kevin wrote:

Schools look up please b4 i throw names at you:

Stancliffe Hall, Chesterfield

Shaftesbury, Dorset

Kevin: Unfortunately I do not have references for any of the schools you refer to. Dick Flory

Dick

Please would you check Captain Jack Oliver Cooper who was KiA at the age of 20 with the RFC, 21st July 1916. He attended Lockers Park Prep school in Hertfordshire and then Harrow.

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle wrote:

Please would you check Captain Jack Oliver Cooper who was KiA at the age of 20 with the RFC, 21st July 1916.

Jack Oliver Cooper

Youngest son of the late Sir Alfred Cooper and Lady Cooper of Ossemsley Manor, Christchurch, Hants

Educated at Harrow School form 1909 to 1913.

Was in Australia when the war started and immediately returned to England and joined the RFC

Officially listed as missing on 21 July 16 but later reported by Geneva Red Cross to have been shot down and killed on that day while on a bombing mission over enemy lines.

The photo below is from the first source. Dick Flory

Sources: Harrow Memorials of the Great War, Volume IV; Harrow School Register, 1845 -1925; War Supplement to the Harrovian, December 1916.

post-765-1127543848.jpg

Dick

Thank you very much for the information. What an excellent photograph ! The reason for my request is explained in the "War in the Air" section under the heading "Captain JO Cooper."

Regards

Myrtle

Hi Dick,

When you get a moment I'd be extremely grateful if you would see if you have anything on Lieutenant Colonel George Ambrose Congrieve WEBB of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. Educated at Chard, Somerset and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. I already have a fairly detailed military biography but am particularly keen to know if you have a photograph of him.

Many thanks

Gary

Please do you have anything for Great War King's School, Peterborough

All The Best

Chris

Gary wrote:

I'd be extremely grateful if you would see if you have anything on Lieutenant Colonel George Ambrose Congrieve WEBB of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. Educated at Chard, Somerset and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.

Gary: Sorry, but I do not have a photo of Lt Col Webb. Dick Flory

Chris wrote:

Please do you have anything for Great War King's School, Peterborough

Chris: I do not have anything on King's School, Peterborough. Dick Flory

Julian wrote:

I'd be grateful if you have any information on a Capt Armar Leslie Auchinleck (KIA 17.9.1916) who was at Wellington College.

Julian: From the Wellington College Register, 1859-1948:

Auchinleck, Armar Leslie

Son of Col. J. C. A. Auchinleck, RA

Educated at Wellington School from 1899-1905

In the Militia in 1907

Asst Resident in North Nigeria in 1911

Served in Great War from 1914-1916 with the Cameronians attached to the Machine Gun Corps

KIA in 1916

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thanks very much. It adds a little to what I know of him. Just for completeness, I'd be grateful for the full bibliographic ref to your Wellington College Registrar.

Thanks

Julian

Julian wrote:

Just for completeness, I'd be grateful for the full bibliographic ref to your Wellington College Registrar.

Wellington College Register, Seventh Edition, January 1859-December 1948, compiled for The Old Wellington Society. Frome, Somerset: Butler and Tanner, Ltd., 1951.

Chris wrote:

Chris:  I do not have anything on King's School, Peterborough.  Dick Flory

thanks for the answer anyway

All The Best

Chris

Thanks Dick,

what p. was Auchinleck.

Important because, apart from his entry in the Army Lists, there is nothing else, there does not seem to be a surviving service file at the NA.

thanks

J

Julian: Page 214. I will look around and see if I can find anything else on him. He father was RA. Do you need anything on him? Dick

thanks Dick, yes I noticed that his father was RA - and thus you might have something on him, but it is ALA that I want to know about - he was the 1st CO of 123 Coy MGC and any papers or whatever might help me with that unit. eg date of formation in ?? March 1916, before they went overseas in June.

Julian

Is there any chance you could look up Geoffrey St John Jones 4th Middlesex, he went to school at St Edmunds college Canterbury, and later as a Warneford Scholar to Brasenose College, Oxford. Cheers

From the Oxford University Roll of Service:

Jones, G. St. J., BA (Jan 15) 2nd Lt, 5th, attd 4th, Middlesex Regt., France and Belgium, 1915-1916, Killed in action on 14 June 1916.

Regards. Dick

Hello Dick

Do you have anything on Lieutenant Hon. John Nevile MANNERS , 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards? He attended Balliol College at Oxford before being commissioned into the Grenadier Guards in 1912. Killed in action on 1st September 1914.

Kind regards

Ed

Cheers Dick shame theres no photo

Hi Dick,

I would be very grateful if you could please look up for me Lt Arthur Charles Sotheron Escourt M.C..

He attended Magdalene College,Cambridge prior to enlisting in 1914.

I know he was KIA on 8/8/18 as an observer with no 5 squadron,and previously had served with the 8th Glos.

Any help,particulary a photo will much appreciated

Many thanks.

Stu

Hi Dick,

I would be very grateful if you could please look up for me Lt Arthur Charles Sotheron Escourt M.C..

He attended Magdalene College,Cambridge prior to enlisting in 1914.

I know he was KIA on 8/8/18 as an observer with no 5 squadron,and previously had served with the 8th Glos.

Any help,particulary a photo will much appreciated

Many thanks.

Stu

Hi Dick!

I'd really appreciate your help with this young soldier !

Frederick Melchior Raphael

born in London 1870 - died at Spion Kop, Natal, Jan. 24, 1900 - son of George C. Raphael

educated at Wellington College - First Battalion South Lancashire Regiment - if there is also a photo available - that would be great!

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Ed wrote:

Do you have anything on Lieutenant Hon. John Nevile MANNERS , 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards? He attended Balliol College at Oxford before being commissioned into the Grenadier Guards in 1912. Killed in action on 1st September 1914.

The Hon. John Nevile Manners, Grenadier Guards

Born on 6 January 1892, the eldest son of John Thomas, the 3rd Lord Manners of Avon Tyrrell, Christchurch, Hants

Educated at Eton from 1905-1910, Eton XI 1910; Field XI 1909; won double rackets with E. L. Bury in 1910; Editor of the "Eton Coll. Chronicle" 1910; Keeper of the Rackets. 1910.

At Balliol College from 1910 to 1913 (played on OU Lawn Tennis and Racquets team and Polo Team; won OU Silver Racquet)

Commissioned in the Grenadier Guards in 1912

Lieut in 1914

Won Army Single Rackets in 1914

The first Balliol College man to fall in the war

Killed in action at Villers-Cotterets on 1 Sep 14

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VII. 1899-1909; Balliol College War Memorial Book, Volume II; List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War 1914-1919; Balliol College Register, 1833-1933; The War List of University of Cambridge, 1914-1919; The Bond of Sacrifice, Volume I.

His photo from the second mentioned source is attached below:

Regards. Dick

post-765-1128284360.jpg