Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick

Thank you. As on the Soldiers thread, have you access to the University Roll of Honour. please? Off to France tomorrow so may be unable to further respond for a while.

Hi Dick,

Do you have any reference for Robert Joseph Selbie, 13th Bn.,CEF, KIA 13 June,1916? He attended Perce School, Cambridgeshire, and Wadham College,Oxford, graduating in July,1914.

Terry: Have nothing for Perce School and the only thing in the Oxford University Roll of Service that you haven't noted in your message is that he got a BA from Wadham College in 1910 Dick

Thanks Dick. His father was principal of another of the Oxford colleges apparently.

Dick,

Anything on a Cecil Moncrieff Eales? Educated at Dulwich College and Sandhurst. Born 1861 and commissioned 1881. He actually retired in 1907 but was recalled in 1914. Thanks.

Regards,

~Dan

Dan wrote:

Anything on a Cecil Moncrieff Eales? Educated at Dulwich College and Sandhurst.

Lt.-Col. Cecil Moncrieff Eales

Born 28 Feb 61 at Plasqwyn

Educated at Dulwich College from 1 May 72 to Jul 77 where he played on the 3rd XV on 1876-77, and at RMC Sandhurst in 1879

Commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant, Scots Fusiilers on 22 Jan 81

Lieutenant, Indian Army, 1 Jul 81

Capt, 22 Jan 92

In 1900 married Aileen Corsfield of Warrington, Cheshire

Major, 1901

Lt. Col., 1907

Retired 23 Jan 07

Served with the 5th and 2nd P. I. and 41st Dogras

Miranzai, 1891; Waziristan, 1894-95; Tirah, 1897-98

During the Great War was a Lt.-Col., Labour Corps

Regards. Dick

Thanks Dick! I appreciate the quick turn. I take it that the info is from the Dulwich College records? I was hoping that it might mention something about his time in the Interpreters Corps. His MIC indicates that he served there prior to the South Staffs Labor Battalion. Still, some great info! Thanks again.

Regards,

~Dan

Dan: The material on Eales was from the "Dulwich College Register, 1619 to 1926" and "Dulwich College War Record, 1914-1919." Nothing about his service with the Interpreters Corps. Dick

Guest geoff501

Dick,

Do you have anything on Lt. Frederick Selwyn Walduck? I don't know the school, but he may be in your RA index.

Thanks,

Geoff wrote:

Do you have anything on Lt. Frederick Selwyn Walduck? I don't know the school, but he may be in your RA index.

Frederick Selwyn Walduck, MC, RFA SR

Educated at Bromsgrove School from 1908-1914

Served with 3rd South Midland Brigade, RFA TF (242nd Brigade, RFA TF) during the Great War

MC, London Gazette 23 May 18 "for conspicuous gallanry and devotion to duty. On a tunnel in which the personnel of the battery was sheltering being blown in, he volunteered to lead a party for 400 yards over a shell swept area to aid in extricating the buried men. Though the whole area was being heavily shelled he continured to dig in order to extricated the buried men until his task was completed. He displayed marked courage, determination and contempt of danger." (He was serving with B Battery, 242 Brigade, RFA TF at the time).

MID (London Gazette 7 Jul 19 for service with B Battery, 108 Army Brigade, RFA

The first source listed below indicates that he died during the war but the second reference indicates that in 1920 he joined 68th Brigade, RFA TA. I believe that the second reference is correct. Regards. Dick

Sources: Bromsgrove School at War 1914-1918; Before the Echoes Die Away, NDG James.

Guest geoff501
The first source listed below indicates that he died during the war but the second reference indicates that in 1920 he joined 68th Brigade, RFA TA.  I believe that the second reference is correct.  Regards.  Dick

Dick,

Thanks, this is excellent info. He is actually on a local memorial, which I think only has names of The Fallen, so it was a mystery to me when he actually died.

Guest geoff501
2/Leiut. Cyril Decimus Field

4th Worcestershire Regt. (KIA June 4, 1915 Gallipoli)

Educated-St. Pauls School, where he was in the OTC

Lieut. Howard Field

4th Worcestershire Regt. (KIA August 6, 1915 Gallipoli)

Educated-St. Pauls School, where he was in the OTC

Any information would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.

David,

From Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Redditch Weekly Messenger August 1915:

post-4982-1123520709.jpg

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I would be grateful if you could check for Walter Samuel Peto, a pre-war

architect educated at Rugby School.

Thanks, for any help.

Regards,

Spud

Spud wrote:

I would be grateful if you could check for Walter Samuel Peto

Sapper Walter Samuel Peto, RE

Born 31 May 1890, the younger son of Frank Kelsall Peto, a Wollen Manufacturer, of The Rangers, Dursley, Gloucestershire and his wife Cecilia Emma Peto.

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 03 to 1907 and then took classes at the London Architectural College.

Before the war was an Architect with Whiting & Peto, Bedford Row, London

In August 1914 he enlisted in the RAMC after being rejected by the other branches of service due to his short sight. He served as a Field Ambulance Driver with the RAMC, going to Flanders in Jan 1915 and serving there until May 1916 when he went to the Salonika front.

In Jan 1917 he tranferred to the Royal Engineers as a Sapper and served with 506th Field Company, RE

Accidentally killed on the Struma Front in the Balkans on 26 Dec 17 when running over rough ground in the mountains of the Struma Front he fell and was killed by the discharge of hi rifle. He was 27.

I have attached his photo below (from the last listed source).

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register;

Memorials to Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VI.

Regards. Dick Flory

post-765-1124575108.jpg

Dick,

Thank you very much for your help, I knew the chap had been killed accidentally but didn't know how - Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Spud.

Dick, Can you help me with Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell MILLER of the Royal Scots who went to Charterhouse about 1910. He may have been there at the same time as Robert Graves which is intriguing. Thanks for all this hard work. Tim Whitcombe.

Tim Whitcombe wrote

Can you help me with Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell MILLER of the Royal Scots who went to Charterhouse about 1910

Major Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell Miller, Royal Scots

Born on 3 Jun 96, the elder son of William Mitchell

Educated at Charterhouse School from Summer 1910 to Summer 1914

The attended Trinity College, Cambridge in 1914

Served in Great War as Capt, 10th Bn, Royal Scots and Major, Durham Lt. Infy.

Once wounded, mentioned in despatches in LG 23 May 18, Military Cross

Married Jessie, elder daughter of James Thomson in 1921

Sources: Charterhouse Register, 1872 -1931; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919; Charterhouse in London; Service of Military Officers, 1920.

Dick

Thank you Dick for a prompt reply. Very useful Indeed. Tim.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob wrote:

If you have anything for Stoneyhurst College would really appreciate a look-up for Luigi Parisotti, Yorkshire Regt & Indian Army

Lieut. Luigi M. Parisotti

Attended Stonehurst School in 1900

Lieut. 3rd Bn, attd. 2nd Bn, The Yorkshire Regiment and 3rd Q. A. O. Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, Yorkshire Regiment on 2 Sep 15

Attached to Indian Army on 2 Jun 16

Wounded July 1916

Served in France from 1915 to July 16 and in Macedonia from 916 to 30 Sep 18.

Regards. Dick

Hello Dick

Do you have anything on John Martin MC? I know that he in mentioned in the Watsonians and Edinburgh University Roll of Honour and I would love to have a photograph. His details are :-

Captain John Martin MC

"A" Coy. 8th/10th Bn. Gordon Highlanders

Died 09.04.1917

Aged 28

Thanks

Evelyn

Evelyn wrote:

Do you have anything on John Martin MC? I know that he in mentioned in the Watsonians and Edinburgh University Roll of Honour and I would love to have a photograph.

Captain John Martin

Born in 1888, the son of Mr. J. Martin, SSC, of 10 Greenhill Park, Edinburgh

Educated at Malvern College (House Prefect, House XI Cricket and Football( and George Watson College where he gained a reputation for cricket, football and golf and played on the Watsonian XI in 1908

Studied Law at the University of Edinburgh from 1912-1914 (played on First XV and XI and was in the Infantry OTC)(Honours in Law).

Before the war he entered his father's business

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, 8th Service Bn, Gordon Highlanders in Aug 1914 (was the first Watsonian sportman to receive a commission)

Went to France in 1915

Received the MC for "a daring piece of work, and fell leading his men when held up by a storm of machine-gun and rifle fire."

KIA on 9 Apr 17.

I can provide two photos. The first below is from the second listed source below. The second, on the next page is from the first mentioned source.

Sources: The Watsonian War Record, 1914-1918; University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour, 1914-1919; The Malvern College Register, 1865-1924.

Regards. Dick Flory

Photo of John Martin from Source 2:

post-765-1127368050.jpg