Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor


rflory
 Share

Recommended Posts

Dick

If you have time could you see if you have anything on this man.

RICHMOND SCHOOL - possibly about 1890

Capt. Roy Craig Dunford - DSO

6ht Batt Northumberland Fusiliers

Wounded 15/09/1916

Died 10/11/1916

Aged 35

Buried Newcastle upon Tyne( Old Jesmond Cemetery.)

I have his DSO citation and some NOK (parents & wife) information.

Kate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kate wrote:

Dick

If you have time could you see if you have anything on this man.

RICHMOND SCHOOL - possibly about 1890

Capt. Roy Craig Dunford - DSO

6ht Batt Northumberland Fusiliers

Wounded 15/09/1916

Died 10/11/1916

Aged 35

Buried Newcastle upon Tyne( Old Jesmond Cemetery.)

I have his DSO citation and some NOK (parents & wife) information.

Captain Roy Craig Dunford

Born 7 Jun 81 at Kirkcudbright

Articled to Messrs. J M Winter and Sons, Chartered Accountants

Became Chartered Accountant on his own in 1904 and practiced at St Nicholas Chambers, Newcastle-on-Tyne

Commissioned in 6th Northumberland Fusiliers, promoted to Captain

Went to France and slightly wounded in Sept 1915

Returned to unit in France on 8 Jan 16

Recommended for the Victoria Cross

Fatally wounded and DOW on 10 Nov 16

His photo is attached below. Dick

post-28-1110526942.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely unbelievable. I never thought it would be possible to get a photo of this man.

He is an ancestor of a close friend of mine and an officer in the Battalion I am researching.

Thank you very much.

I could drink your bathwater!!

Kate

PS 'I could drink your bathwater' is a Geordie accolade, slightly higher up the scale than, 'I will love you forever'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dick

I would appreciate any information and possibly a photograph of this man. He is on a local memorial, but also has a memorial of his own near the site of the family home.

Geoffery Weldon

The 1901 census has him at Eton with the age of 15, his date of bith was 21/01/1886

He was born in Awliscombe, near Honiton, Devon

He was injured on the Somme 21/09/16 and died of wounds 25/09/16 at No.24 General Hospital, Etaples.

At the time of his death he was a Captain in 'D'Battery 48th Brigade R.F.A

Thank you for your time

Kind regards

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John wrote:

I would appreciate any information and possibly a photograph of this man. He is on a local memorial, but also has a memorial of his own near the site of the family home.

Geoffery Weldon

Captain Geoffrey Weldon

Born 21 Jan 86; the son of Reverend E Weldon, of Corrymore, Achill, Ireland and Tracey, near Honiton, Devon

Educated at Eton School from 1899 to 1902 and at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA on 21 Dec 04

Commissioned as Lieutenant, RFA on 21 Dec 07

In 1914 he was serving with 5th Battery, XXIX Brigade at Leeds

Served in France from 1914 to 1916

Promoted to Captain on 30 Oct 14

Died on 25 Sep 16 of wounds received in action at Ginchy

No photo at this moment but will keep looking. Regards. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Dick

I promise that you have not opened the floodgates, but.......

I have another on the same memorial as Geoffery Weldon, this man was;

Harry Lewin Lee Pennell. He was born 1882 and educated at Exeter School, Devon, and joined the navy as a cadet in HMS Britannia in 1898.

He died, aged 34, as Commander aboard HMS Queen Mary, May 31st 1916.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Dick,

If time permitted I would be grateful if you had any information on Second Lieutenant Alexander Balfour Hare.

He was I believe a former pupil of George Watson's Boys College and a student at Edinburgh University.

Anything you may have would be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Spud

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spud wrote:

I would be grateful if you had any information on Second Lieutenant Alexander Balfour Hare.

He was I believe a former pupil of George Watson's Boys College and a student at Edinburgh University.

Anything you may have would be gratefully received.

2nd Lieutenant Alexander Balfour Hare, RFA SR

son of E. Hare

Student at Leith Academy and George Watson's School

Student of Arts at Edinburgh University from 1908 to 1914: MA (Honours in History) , 1913. President of the Edinburgh University Fabian Society: served in U Edinburgh Officer Training School from Nov 1909 to January 1919 (Cadet Bombardier).

Master in the Junior School and later, in History at George Watson's School and a 2nd Lieutenant in the School's OTC.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RFA SR in Sept 1915

Participated in the Battle of the Somme and on 31 Oct 1916, he was killed instantly in his dug-out by a high explosive shell.

Sources: University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour, 1914-1919; The Watsonian War Record, 1914-1918.

Attached is a photo of him from the second reference. Regards. Dick Flory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John wrote:

Harry Lewin Lee Pennell. He was born 1882 and educated at Exeter School, Devon, and joined the navy as a cadet in HMS Britannia in 1898.

John: Sorry, I have registers for Exeter College, Oxford but not for Exeter School, Devon. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick

I was visiting a small, local, museum recently and saw that they had a folder . listing, with various amounts of detail, information on the old boys of the local college. The college was Allhallowes, Honiton, Devon. The school is no longer there.

I wondered if you had a copy, if not I would be only too happy to see if they would let me take a copy if you were interested.

kind regards

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Do you have any details (and photo!) of a Major Minden Charles Cardigan Pinching, born 1881 and educated at Wellington College (mid-late 1890s).

Here's hoping.

Thanks,

Stuart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John wrote:

I was visiting a small, local, museum recently and saw that they had a folder . listing, with various amounts of detail, information on the old boys of the local college. The college was Allhallowes, Honiton, Devon. The school is no longer there.

I wondered if you had a copy, if not I would be only too happy to see if they would let me take a copy if you were interested.

John: I have a register for the school published in 1952 but it has very little information on war services. If you could obtain a copy of the flolder I would very much appreciate it. Regards. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stuart wrote:

Do you have any details (and photo!) of a Major Minden Charles Cardigan Pinching, born 1881 and educated at Wellington College

Major Minden Charles Cardigan Pinching, 2nd Dragoon Guards

Born 25 Oct 1881, son of Captain A. Pinching, DP

Attended Wellington College from 1895 to 1899; played on XV

Served in militia

Commissioned into 2nd Dragoon Guards as 2nd Lieut on 5 Dec 1900

Promoted to Lieut. on 8 Jun 1901

Served in South African War 1901-02; awarded QSA Medal with 5 clasps

Adjutant, 1903-1906

Promoted to Captain on 3 Apr 07

Went to France with the BEF in 1914

Promoted to Major on 1 Nov 1914

Twice wounded.

Awarded the DSO in the London Gazette of 14 Jan 1916

Died in a military hospital in London on 20 April 1917

Married to R. Warner and they had one daughter

Sorry but I do not have a photo.

Regards. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the speedy reply. That has filled in his education details, and a rugby man too.

The photo hunt continues....

Regards,

Stuart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John: I have a register for the school published in 1952 but it has very little information on war services. If you could obtain a copy of the flolder I would very much appreciate it. Regards. Dick

Dick

It will not be for a week or two as they have limited opening, but I will certainly have a go.

Kind regards

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Dick,

If I might impose on you again.

WILLIAM LINDSAY EVERARD

Member of the Leicestershire Brewing Family. Educated at Harrow. Served with the Leicestershire Yeomanry, and was an M.P. post-war.

Anything else that you can add would be most helpful.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave wrote:

If I might impose on you again.

WILLIAM LINDSAY EVERARD

Member of the Leicestershire Brewing Family. Educated at Harrow. Served with the Leicestershire Yeomanry, and was an M.P. post-war.

Anything else that you can add would be most helpful.

Lieut. Sir William Lindsay Everard, Life Guards

Born in 1891, the son of Thomas William Everard, JP, DL, Esquire of Bradgate Park, Leicester

Educated at Harrow School from Easter 1905 to 1909. Member of the Cricket XI in 1908. And at Trinity College, Cambridge University (BA 1912, MA 1921).

In 1915 he was a Lieut. in the Leicestershire Yeomanry.

Later in the Great War he was a Lieutenant in the Life Guards and in the Guards Machine Gun Regiment.

In 1918 he married Cornelia Ione Kathleen, eldest daughter of Captain Marcus Beresford- Armstrong, JP, DL of Moyaliffe Castle, Tipperary and they had one son and one daugther.

JP and DL Liecs (High Sheriff, 1924-1925).

In 1925 he was living at Ratcliff Hall, Syston, Leics.

M.P. (U) for Melton Mowbray from 1924 to 1939

Commissioner Civil Air Guard in 1938

Hon. Air Commodore, 605 (County of Warwick) Fighter Squadron, A. A. F. from 1938 to 1946

Chairman of John Sarson & Sons, Ltd. and of Everards' Brewery

Knighted at Buckingham Palace on 16 February 1939

According to The Times he was "one of the pioneers of private flying in" the UK. At the time of his death he was Vice President of the Royal Aero Club

Died on 11 March 1949 at Torquay.

Sources:

The Harrow School Register, 1885-1925; The Harrow School Register, 1885-1949; The Harrovian; 1914-1919; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919;

Debrett's Barontage, Knightage & Companionage, 1943; Knights Bachelor 1939-1945; The Times, March 14, 1949, page 7, column E; The Times, March 17, 1949, page 6, column F.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dick,

Thanks very much indeed. Hopefully I won't need to trouble you again, as I think I've run out of "posh" officers who have a link to the area. I've got a couple of ex-rankers, but I doubt that you've any information on Narborough Church of England School, or Enderby Council School.

Best wishes,

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave wrote:

Hopefully I won't need to trouble you again, as I think I've run out of "posh" officers who have a link to the area. I've got a couple of ex-rankers, but I doubt that you've any information on Narborough Church of England School, or Enderby Council School.

Dave: You are correct that I do not have information from either of the mentioned schools. Regards. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dick

Do you have anything for Sandroyd School, Salisbury, Wiltshire? I'm interested in Lieutenant Humphrey MATTHEWS, RN who left there c.1903/04.

Best wishes

Ed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ed: Sorry, but I do not have anything on Sandroyd School, Salisbury. Regards. Dick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...