Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Dick,

Can you please look at any ref. book you may have for Dulwich College for a man I am researching. George Marquand TRUSS appears in the College Register 1619-1926 by Ormiston. He was at the college 1905-07. He joined the Westminster Dragoons in 1914 and transferred to the Scots Guards in 1916. He was 2nd Lt, MG officer, kia 25/9/1916 at Lesbouefs.

I would appreciate if you could add anything to this.

Ta V Much

Owen Hales

Owen Hales wrote:

Can you please look at any ref. book you may have for Dulwich College for a man I am researching. George Marquand TRUSS appears in the College Register 1619-1926 by Ormiston. He was at the college 1905-07.

2nd Lieut. George Marquand Truss, Scots Guards

Born 27 Jan 91

Began his commercial career at Lloyd's

Then joined Messrs. M. P. Evans & Co., Mincing Lane, E.C.

Served with the Westminister Dragoons (Yeomanry) from 1910 to May, 1914.

Rejoined in Aug 1914 and went to Egypt with his regiment in Sept 1914

Then served in Sulva Bay until being invalided to Malta with jaundice and then to the UK arriving in Dec 1915

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., Scots Guards in Jan 1916

Went to France in August 1916 where he was attached to the Maching Gun Company of the 3rd Guards Brigade.

Fell leading his men in the attack at Les Boeufs on 25 Sep 16

Source: Dulwich College Roll of Honour.

I have attached a photo of him from the above source. Regards. Dick Flory

post-765-1129790471.jpg

Old Chap wrote:

Please may i ask you to look up 2nd.Lieut.Harry Brookes who attended Sale Grammar School and i believe he is also featured in the Manchester University Roll of Honour.

Bill: I can not find a 2nd Lieut Harry Brookes in the Manchester University Roll of Service, but there is a 2nd Lieut. Percy Brookes; born in 1886, the son of R. D. Brooks, 12 Arnold Avenue, Saylesville, Rhode Island, USA. He served in the Stockport Technical School Officers Training Corps from May 1916 to January 1917. Beforer the war he was an auctioneer and valuer. Commissioned into the 6 th Bn, Cheshire Regiment he was KIA at Gheluvelt on 24 Dec 1917.

Regards. Dick

Old Chap wrote:

Bill: I can not find a 2nd Lieut Harry Brookes in the Manchester University Roll of Service, but there is a 2nd Lieut. Percy Brookes; born in 1886, the son of R. D. Brooks, 12 Arnold Avenue, Saylesville, Rhode Island, USA. He served in the Stockport Technical School Officers Training Corps from May 1916 to January 1917.  Beforer the war he was an auctioneer and valuer. Commissioned into the 6 th Bn, Cheshire Regiment he was KIA at Gheluvelt on 24 Dec 1917.

Regards.  Dick

Hello Dick,

I appreciate you looking, many thanks.

Regards,

Bill

Dear Dick,

I am interested in people who attended the Liverpool Institute. I have a list of their Roll of Honour, but I would like to know  where I might find a list, class lists perhaps, OTC lists, post war reunion lists - of others who served and survived. My grandfather & his brothers were there and their letters often refer to people (serving) whom I suspect were schoolchums.

It's long list so I only ask generally.

thanks

julian

If you have the Role of Honour for the Liverpool Institute, perhaps you would be so kind as to look for the names of any Lawsons.

I am researching William George Lawson, who was in 2/10 Btn Liverpool Scottish

and his brother Walter (regiment unknown), born 1889 and 1892 respectively.

I do not know where they were educated but if you have successfully located any of the other class lists you mention, there is always a chance they could be there.

Thanks, K Lawson.

Hi Dick

Do you have a register for the Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield?

If not, I may be able to give you a copy of recent research which traces all their WW1 casualties. It contains some artillery men.

Dave

DaveBrigg wrote:

Do you have a register for the Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield?

If not, I may be able to give you a copy of recent research which traces all their WW1 casualties. It contains some artillery men.

Dave: I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research. Regards. Dick

Source: Dulwich College Roll of Honour.

I have attached a photo of him from the above source. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

As it turns out I already have this photo but didn't know its source. Where I wonder did the info in this Roll of Honour come from originally. Whereever it was there must be more, I just have to keep digging. I have his service record from the PRO and also from the SG regimental museum but am not making any more headway. The Westminster Dragoons museum can't help me till the end of next year as they are temporary accomodation. I also have a copy of the war diary for his unit but this doesn't help me at all.

I feel another trip to the PRO coming on.

Thanks for all this & the speedy response.

Owen Hales

DaveBrigg wrote:

Dave:  I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research.  Regards.  Dick

It will be a pleasure. I'll try to get hold of an original copy (limited supplies), otherwise it's a long session on the photocopier. I'll let you know when it's ready to send.

Best wishes

Dave

Dick,

Is there any chance of a look-up for a RFA officer? His school is unfortunately unknown but i'm hoping he may appear on your database of Artillery Officers.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Medal card of Nickels, Robert Norman

Corps Regiment No Rank

Honourable Artillery Company 2058 Private

Royal Field Artillery Second Lieutenant

Royal Field Artillery Captain

Mark wrote:

His school is unfortunately unknown but i'm hoping he may appear on your database of Artillery Officers. Nickels, Robert Norman

Captain Robert Norman Nickels, RFA TF

Born on 1 Nov 1890, the son of J. T. Nickels, Day House, Shrewsbury

Educated at Repton School from Sept 1905-July 1908

Received BA in Mech Sciences from Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University in 1911

Private, HAC, 1914

2nd Lieut, 1/2nd Northumbrian Bde Ammunition Column, RFA TF, 9 Jul 1915

Served in France from 1915-1918

Lieutenant, Jun 1916

Captain RAF, April 1918

Three times wounded in action.

After the war he was a civil engineer and in 1922 he was employed by the The General Electrical Company of China, Ltd in Shanghai.

He was still living in 1957 and lived at Penhill Farm, St. Michael's Tenterden, Kent

Sources: Old Reptonian War Register, 1914-1919; Repton School Register, 1922; Repton School Register, 1957; The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1919

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick!

I have everybody!!

Thank you so very much for all your wonderful information -

and your time and effort - I appreciate it !!

Annie

DaveBrigg wrote:

Dave:  I do not have a register for Kings Grammar School, Macclesfield and would very much like to have a copy of the research.  Regards.  Dick

A spare copy arrived in the post today. If you can send me your address I'll pass it on.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dick,

Can you tell me if you have any school rolls/registers for any of the schools in Chippenham, Wilts.

No point troubling you for infomation on individuals if you don't have ant Chippenham records :-)

Thanks very much for your help

Best Wishes

James

Dave wrote:

A spare copy arrived in the post today. If you can send me your address I'll pass it on.

Dave: Thank you for your kind offer but another friend in the UK just mailed me a copy that arrived two days ago. Regards. Dick

James wrote:

Can you tell me if you have any school rolls/registers for any of the schools in Chippenham, Wilts.

James: I do not have any registers for the schools in Chippenham, Wilts. Regards. Dick Flory

Richard,

Another request if I may.

Seeking anything you have in respect of Hugh Victor Berkely Spencer, served Bedfordshire Yeomanry and Tank Corps WW1. Known to have attended Rugby School and Trinity Cambridge, possibly a cricket blue.

Best wishes

David

James wrote:

James:  I do not have any registers for the schools in Chippenham, Wilts.  Regards.  Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble too look anyway.

Cheers

James

Dear Dick,

Am helping a friend research the military career of Alex Russell, golf course architect of his golf club. Quite a prominent Australian. Here's what we know.

Born : 4th of June 1892

Education : Jesus College, Cambridge University. Signed up August 5th 1914 we think.

Served in 126th Siege Battery, RGA. Attained rank of Major. Awarded Military Cross.

Became 1924 Australian Open champion at golf and co-designed Royal Melbourne course with Dr. Alister Mackenzie (Cypress Point, Augusta National). Private Secretary to Australian PM Stanley Melbourne Bruce during the twenties.

alex-ww1.jpg

We would love to hear any details about his service in the Great war or the movements of the 126th, especially around April 1915 (2nd Ypres?) when we believe he first saw battle.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Jean

Bedfordyeoman wrote:

Seeking anything you have in respect of Hugh Victor Berkely Spencer, served Bedfordshire Yeomanry and Tank Corps WW1. Known to have attended Rugby School and Trinity Cambridge, possibly a cricket blue.

David: Here is what I have on Major Hugh Victor Berkely Spencer, Bedfordshire Yeomanry.

Born on 24 May 1879, third son of John Watson Spencer of Newbiggin House, Kenton, Northumberland.

Educated at Rugby School from May 1894 to 1897 where played on the XI from 1895 to 1897, winning his cap in 1896, and at Trinity College, Cambridge University in 1897.

Before the war he was a steel manufacturer

Trooper, Bedfordshire Yeomanry

Commissioned and attached to the Tank Corps.

In 1921 he lived at Merrythought, Seaview, Isle of Wight.

Sources: Rugby School Register Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register; The War List of the University of Cambridge, 1914-1919.

Dick,

I wonder if you have a reference to the following officer who I believe attended SELWYN COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY and is named on the memorial in Selwyn College Chapel:

Edward Harold PINCHES

CWGC entry:

Name: PINCHES, EDWARD HAROLD

Initials: E H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn. attd. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 16/11/1917

Additional information: Son of Richard and Anne Pinches, of The White House, Asterton, Lydbury North, Salop.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XII. B. 23.

Cemetery: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

With thanks,

Chris.

Chris B wrote:

I wonder if you have a reference to the following officer who I believe attended SELWYN COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY and is named on the memorial in Selwyn College Chapel:

Edward Harold PINCHES

The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1918 gives the following:

Lieutenant, Loyal N. Lancs Regt., Died of Wounds received in action, 28 Nov 17. At Selwin College in 1915.

Not much help I am afraid. Dick Flory

Chris B wrote: 

The War List of the University of Cambridge 1914-1918 gives the following:

Lieutenant, Loyal N. Lancs Regt., Died of Wounds received in action, 28 Nov 17.  At Selwin College in 1915.

Not much help I am afraid.  Dick Flory

Dick,

Every little adds to the picture, many thanks for looking for the information.

Regards,

Chris.