Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Gary: Unfortunately I only have photocopy of those parts of Shetland's Roll of Honour and Roll of Service that cover RA gunners and page 5 is not one of those pages. Regards. Dick

Dick

Thanks for your efforts. Any information (even knowing there is no more information!!) is always greatfully received.

Dave

Hi Dick,

I'd be extremely grateful for anything you may have on Major Edward Upton BODY MC, 130th Bty, 40th Bde, RFA who was killed in action on 4 November 1918. He is buried in Ruesnes Communal Cemetery.

Many thanks

Gary

Dick,

I wonder if i could ask you if you have a Chacombe School, Northamptonshire in your magnificent collection. If so I am looking for a Reginald Sewell. It is for a relative in Australia, he has a photograph of him at this school in 1908.

Many thanks for looking Dick.

Andy

Andy,

Have you tried sending an enquiry via the Chacombe village website?

http://www.chacombeparish.co.uk/home/index.html

I doubt the village school would have had the resources to produce the type of bound memorial volume the major schools and universities published, though I'd like to be proved wrong.

Hi Kate,

Many thanks, yes i had tried that site through a search on the web and contacted them, as yet no reply.

Andy

Dick, Have you any records/photos for Fettes School, please?

Particularly for Robin Reid elder brother of Frank also at Fettes. Robert left in 1914, and died of wounds received at the Battle of the Somme July 13th 1916

aged 19. he was a 2nd. Lieutenant 130 Field Co. Royal Engineers.

Hi Dick

I'm presently researching Lieutenant Roderick Newton JACKS who served with the Grenadier Guards and Guards Machine Gun Regiment, 1916-1919 (commissioned from the Artists Rifles OTC). I understand that he played rugby for the "Public Schools Services" side in 1919 and would have attended St. Pauls.

Do you have a register or RoH for this school that I could trouble you for a look up of Roderick Jacks please? I think he would probably have attended sometime between 1910-1916 although I'm not exactly sure.

Best wishes

Ed

Andy wrote:

I wonder if i could ask you if you have a Chacombe School, Northamptonshire in your magnificent collection. If so I am looking for a Reginald Sewell.

Andy: Unfortunately I do not have anything for Chacombe School and am not aware that they have published a roll of honour or register. Regards. Dick

Bob wrote:

Dick, Have you any records/photos for Fettes School, please?

Particularly for Robin Reid elder brother of Frank also at Fettes. Robert left in 1914, and died of wounds received at the Battle of the Somme July 13th 1916

aged 19. he was a 2nd. Lieutenant 130 Field Co. Royal Engineers.

Robert Robertson Reid

Born May 1897, the son of G W Reid, Bearsden.

Attended Fettes School from 1909 to Dec 1914, VI mods, played on school XV and XI, Certificate A.

2nd Lieutenant, 130th Field Co., RE, France, died of wounds received on the Somme, 13 Jul 16.

Unfortunately, there are no photos.

Source: The Fettes College Register, 1870-1932; The Fettes College Register, 1870-1970.

Sir Francis Smith Reid

Born Jan 00; son of GW Reid of Durban. Brother of RR Reid, 1909.

Attended Fettes College from 1913-Dec 1917; VI mods, Head of School, played on XV; CSM

Royal Military Academy, played on XV

Commissioned into RFA in 1919

Kurdistan, 1919, Iraq, 1920

Passed Staff College, 1931

In WW2 was T/Brigadier in 1943; OBE, 1942; N Africa and Italy; General Staff, Allied Force HQ;

Commanding, 80th (Scottish Horse) Medium Rgt, RA, 1943-44 (Anzio Beachead); CRA, 78th Division, 1944; CBE, 1946, Officer, US Legion of Merit,

Brigadier, 1950

Commander of Ceylon Army, 1952-1955

Secy. to Speaker of the House, House of Commons, 1955

Knight, 1964

Source: The Fettes College Register, 1870-1932; The Fettes College Register, 1870-1970; Old Fettesians Who Served in His Majesty's Forces During the War 1939-45

Regards. Dick

Ed Matthews wrote:

I'm presently researching Lieutenant Roderick Newton JACKS who served with the Grenadier Guards and Guards Machine Gun Regiment, 1916-1919 (commissioned from the Artists Rifles OTC). I understand that he played rugby for the "Public Schools Services" side in 1919 and would have attended St. Pauls.

Ed: There is a register for St. Pauls but, unfortunately I have not been able to find a copy.

Regards. Dick

Dick,

Many thanks, I have managed to get in contact with Chacombe through their website. Was unaware of the location of this school.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

Do you have the Roll of Honour for Cheltenham College ? If so I would be most grateful for any information on 2/Lt Cedric Guy Deakin, 14th Hussars kia May 1916, Mespotamia. He started at Cheltenham in 1907.

Thank you

Andrew Nichol

Andrew wrote:

Do you have the Roll of Honour for Cheltenham College ? If so I would be most grateful for any information on 2/Lt Cedric Guy Deakin, 14th Hussars kia May 1916, Mespotamia. He started at Cheltenham in 1907.

2nd Lieut. Cedric Guy Deakin, 14 Hussars

Born 6 Oct 1893, the son of George William Deakin, Esquire

Educated at Chelthenham College from Sept 1907 to Dec 1911

At RMC, Sandhurst in 1911

2nd Lieut, 14th Hussars,

Served in Mesopotamia

Mentioned in Despatches.

KIA at Kut-al-Amara on 20 May 1916

Source: Cheltenham College Register, 1841-1927.

Regards. Dick

Thank you very much Dick. I was unaware of the MID.

All the best

Andrew

Dick,

Sorry to be so slow in thanking you for the great Reid information, an oversight, apologies,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

May I call upon your services again please. I am seeking information on

John Rippiner Heath, a doctor who served with the RAMC in Salonika. I know a fair bit about his life, but I am trying to find his actaul unit.

Heath was born in Birmingham in 1887, the son of the vice-principal of Birmingham University. He attended Clifton College, Bristol, went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, then returned to Birmingham for hospital training. Upon his qualification in 1911, he spent two years as a house physician at Queen s Hospital and was also assistant lecturer in physiology at Birmingham University. Heath left Birmingham in 1913 and entered general practice in Barmouth.

Kate wrote:

John Rippiner Heath, a doctor who served with the RAMC in Salonika. I know a fair bit about his life, but I am trying to find his actaul unit.

Heath was born in Birmingham in 1887, the son of the vice-principal of Birmingham University. He attended Clifton College, Bristol, went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, then returned to Birmingham for hospital training. Upon his qualification in 1911, he spent two years as a house physician at Queen s Hospital and was also assistant lecturer in physiology at Birmingham University. Heath left Birmingham in 1913 and entered general practice in Barmouth.

Kate: Good to hear from you again. I have checked the University of Birmingham, Clifton College and Cambridge University Registers and none indicate any unit for Heath beyond the fact that he served in the RAMC. Regards. Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dick,

I hope that you will be able to help find some in formation on:

Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney, 802, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, KIA at The Battle of the Scarpe, 26 Aug 1918.

I think that he and two brothers (Kenneth Halliday Macartney (Royal Navy) and Francis/Douglas Halliday Macartney) were educated at Dulwich College c.1900 ± 5 years. I base this presumption on the fact that one of their elder half-brothers, Sir George Macartney, was educated there c.1880.

Any information on these brothers would be terrific, any photos would make me fall off my chair!

Here's hoping,

Stuart

Stuart wrote:

I hope that you will be able to help find some in formation on:

Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney, 802, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, KIA at The Battle of the Scarpe, 26 Aug 1918.

I think that he and two brothers (Kenneth Halliday Macartney (Royal Navy) and Francis/Douglas Halliday Macartney) were educated at Dulwich College c.1900 ± 5 years. I base this presumption on the fact that one of their elder half-brothers, Sir George Macartney, was educated there c.1880.

Stuart: Sir George did go to Dulwich but unfortunately it does not appear as if any of the other brothers, including Donald Halliday Macartney attended that college. I will keep looking and see if I can locate any of the brothers. Regards. Dick

Hi Dick,

I wonder if you have the rolls for Cheltenham College, please??

I am trying to find some information on Captain Jasper Graham MAYNE, born 1859. I understand he was educated at Cheltenham College and the RMC., eventually being commissioned into the 'Inniskillings'.

Ian.

Hello Dick,

Thank you for trying to find Donald and his brothers for me. Sorry for the wildgoose hunt, but I don't have any other information regarding which school they could have attended. In the 1901 census, Kenneth (14 yrs) and his sister, Jeanne (15yrs), are residing in London (St. Marylebone) with their parents - Sir Halliday Macartney's occupation is stated as 'Diplomatist'. Donald (b. 1888) and his younger brother are not present. Purely on a geographical basis, I think they would of attended schools in London or the surrounding area. If you do come across them it will be a big help.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Ian wrote:

I am trying to find some information on Captain Jasper Graham MAYNE, born 1859. I understand he was educated at Cheltenham College and the RMC., eventually being commissioned into the 'Inniskillings'.

Captain Jasper Graham Mayne, CBE

Born 9 April 1859, the son of Lt-Col Charles Otway Mayne, ISC

Educated at Cheltenham College from Sept 1874 to Dec 1877; Football XV, 1877; and at Royal Military College, Sandhurst from 1878-1879

2nd Lieutenant in 27th Foot in 1879

In R. Inniskilling Fusiliers from 1879 to 1899

In 1866 he married Cecily Mary Agnes, daughter of Sir Frederick Aloysius Weld, GCMG, of Chicock Manor, Bridport

ADC to Governor of Straits Settlements from 1886-1887

Captain, 1887

ADC to Governor and High Commissioner of South Africa from 1888-1889

Wing Instructor, Hythe Staff, 1890-1895

Served in Veteran's Rifle Volunteers from 1892 to 1914 and 1919 to 1926

Secretary to the Army Rifle Association from 1894-1924

District Inspector of Musketry, Home District, 1896-1899

Retired, 1899

Chief Constable of East Suffolk since 1899

Raised a force of 2600 Special Constables from 1914-1918

1920- Officer of the British Empire (Civil)

1924- Commander of the British Empire (Civil)

Queen Victoria Jubilee Medal, King's Police Medal, and King's Police Coronation Medal

Sources: Cheltenham College Register, 1841-1927; Debrett's Baronetage, Knightage and Companionage, 1931; Who's Who, 1934.