Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

AGWR wrote: "When you get a chance, I would be very grateful for any details about Capt Fred Stansfield (ex Pembroke College), and Capt William Salter (possibly University of London). Both men were 17 th Middlesex."

Captain Fred Stansfield: He is not listed in the Pembroke College War List.

Captain William Salter: The Captain William Seabrook Salter listed for the University of London is an RGA officer.

Dick Flory

Andy wrote: "Do you have anything on St Dunstan's in the West School, London EC4"

Andy: I have St Dunstan's College but not St Dunstan's in the West School. Dick Flory

Derek wrote: "Thank you very much for the Information on Robert Manning it is most appreciated.

At the risk of outstaying my welcome can I ask if you have any ideas as to where I could look for a Picture of him?"

Derek: I have no record of a photo. Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

Sorry to pester you, but I posted a request a while back regarding two Royal Artillery Officers who I have been researching, namely Brigadier General Clennell William Collingwood CMG, DSO and Lieutenant General Sir Herbert C C Uniacke KCB, KCMG. As I haven't heard anything I wondered if it had got lost in the deluge of requests for help that you receive, I would appreciate any information you might be able to provide particularly if there is a photo. They were both educated at The RMA, Woolwich. Thanks. Regards, Ron Hartley

Dick

Many thanks for the response.

I am not sure of it's official name, but I know that several of the Spillers were educated in the school aligned with the church.

If you have any info with regards to Spiller.....

Rgds

Andy

Dick,

Received the picture and information this morning regarding my Great Uncle Capt. John Drysdale MC 4th. Bat. Gordon Highlanders from the Royal High School Roll of Honour in Edinburgh. You have no idea how happy this has made me knowing that I finally, after a long search, have his picture. It makes it more personal now that I can add a face to all his research information and Death Plaque.

Thanks once again from the bottom of my heart,

Neil

John: I noticed that there is a photo and bio of a 2nd Lt John Walker Drysdale, Royal Scots in the Royal High School Edinburgh's Roll of Honour, 1939-1945. He was KIA in May 1940. I was wondering if he might be a relative of your's. Dick Flory

Ron Hartley wrote: "Sorry to pester you, but I posted a request a while back regarding two Royal Artillery Officers who I have been researching, namely Brigadier General Clennell William Collingwood CMG, DSO and Lieutenant General Sir Herbert C C Uniacke KCB, KCMG. As I haven't heard anything I wondered if it had got lost in the deluge of requests for help that you receive, I would appreciate any information you might be able to provide particularly if there is a photo. They were both educated at The RMA, Woolwich."

Ron: Sorry, I did miss your original message. I don't keep much information on generals because there is usually quite a bit available on them in Who's Who, DeBretts and other similar publications, as is the case with both of the generals you mention. I do not have photos of either of them, but can tell you that the RA Library has both a medium and a large photo of HCC Uniacke. Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

Thanks very much for the information about the photo of HCC Uniacke in the RA Library. I have the Who's Who entries for them both and an obituary for Uniacke. However, Collingwood has been a bit elusive. Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Ron

John: I noticed that there is a photo and bio of a 2nd Lt John Walker Drysdale, Royal Scots in the Royal High School Edinburgh's Roll of Honour, 1939-1945. He was KIA in May 1940. I was wondering if he might be a relative of your's. Dick Flory

Dick,

I assume this question is directed towards me. As far as I can tell there is no relation between the soldier that you mention above and our family. Our family was a strange one. I did not know that I had three Great Uncles up until four years ago when I did some family research. One died at a young age, John was K.I.A in WW1 and I had another Great Uncle who died in 1977. Believe it or not he lived only a short distance from us in Scotland where I grew up. The only possibility is that he may have been the son of this Great Uncle but that is reaearch for another day I am slightly tied up right now planning to do some research on all MC recipients in the Gordon Highalnders in WW1.

Thanks for the interest.

Neil

Dick,

A follow up to the last post. Would you be so kind as to forward this information on to me on 2nd. Lt. John Walker Drysdale. You just never know I might require it some day. You have my e-mail address.

Once again I cannot thank you enough for all the help that you have given me in the past few days. With my project I am sure I might be calling on your kind services in the near future.

Neil

Dick,

I am looking for information on Edgar Percy Leheup who attended Cliftonville College, Margate Kent.

He was born in 1893 in Wanstead and was a Lt in Essex Regt when he won his MC in 1918.

Thanks

Peter

AGWR wrote: "When you get a chance, I would be very grateful for any details about Capt Fred Stansfield (ex Pembroke College), and Capt William Salter (possibly University of London). Both men were 17 th Middlesex."

Captain Fred Stansfield: He is not listed in the Pembroke College War List.

Captain William Salter: The Captain William Seabrook Salter listed for the University of London is an RGA officer.

Dick Flory

Dick,

Thank you for checking for me. Your time is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

AGWR

Dick

Please could you provide details of 2/Lt Henry Whitehead of the Royal Field Artillery, who was killed in action in 1916. He was at either Marlborough College or Cheltenham College, in either case from 1901 onwards.

Do you have records for Rugby School and Trinity College Cambridge?

Thank you.

Adrian

Hi Dick!

Hope you're doing OK ! hope we're not wearing you out !!

I'd love your help with this man if possible please - Julian Philip Swindell Hayes

can't find anything on him at all - Thanking you in advance !

Annie :)

1891 census

Eversleigh

Julian P S Hayes,Head age 32 Surgeon Army Medical Staff b. Kensington, London

Edith A V Hayes,wife age 24 b. Kensington, London

Philip V E Hayes ,son age 4 b. Canterbury, Kent

Claud J P Hayes,son age 3 b. India

Audry E L Hayes ,dau age 1 b. Hythe, Kent

Annie G Waters Mother in Law age 46 Widow Living on own means b. Manchester Lancs

Alice S Welman Sister Marr, age 29 b. India

Eileen V Welman Niece age 4 b. India

& 3 servants

Hi Dick

Could you kindly look for Captain Andrew best McBride, 2/5th Beds attached 7th Btn. Berkhamsptead College. Any bio info would be welcomed

Thanks again :D

Hi Dick,

I wonder if you have any registers for St Francis Xavier School, Liverpool. I'm looking for any information on my father, William (Joseph) Bryce.

Any help woud be most appreciated.

Bill

Bill: Sorry, I have nothing from St. Francis Xavier School or College, Liverpool. Dick Flory

Dick,

Do you have anything from St. Francis Xavier School or College, Liverpool?

Here's hoping...

Bill

hello can I join in . you could email Liverpool central Library they have a lot of school and college records they are open today from 12 noon /4pm

good luck Doedoe

Hi Dick !

I've asked you about this soldier before but I've just found out which school - on 1881 census ( badly mistranscribed !! )

I'd appreciate your help !

Thanking you in advance !

1881 - Blackwater Road, Eastbourne College RG12/1038/47/39

Sidney H Skinner ( South Lancs )

Annie :)

Thanks very much for your efforts, Dick, and your suggestion, Doedoe. I'll check out the Liverpool Library.

Best regards,

Bill

Hi Dick

Could you have a look see if you can find anything to 2nd Lt Cecil Harvey Denham who attended Queen Marys Grammer School in Walsall,Staffordshire.

Many thanks

Medalman.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Sorry to be a pest again, but do you have anything from the City of Liverpool Central Municipal Technical College or the Liverpool College of Technology?

Thanks,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick

Do you have any of the following in your library?

Alfred Edward Burrowes – Merchant Taylor’s

Walter Stafford Cash – King Edward’s Grammar School, Birmingham

Donald Colin Cathie – Christ’s Hospital

Archibald Murray Ewen – Robert Gordon’s School, Aberdeen

Arthur R Henry – Haileybury

Connolly G Norman (could be Norman G Connolly) Bedford Grammar School

Thomas B Sherwood – Manchester Grammar School

Frederick James Smith – King’s Hospital

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trooper

Hello Dick, when you get time would you see if you have anything on William (Edmund) Ironside, his latter history is pretty well documented but his earlier history isn't. I believe he attended Tonbridge School before going to the RMA Woolwich.

Keith