Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

"""here lay 2 Brothers from my village, the story goes one was hit by a sniper the otehr ran to give aid and got killed in the process, they died in each others arms.

when i saw that, it was hard work to keep the tear back, sounds stupid I know.""""

Mate, tears are never stupid, they are an honest reaction to an emotional event. You are human.

Cheers

Kim

Guest KevinEndon
It grieves me to post the next 2 pages never thought such a henious event would happen on a pals tour <_< as quartermaster and head cook on this tripi noticed that our supplies were going missing,at first i thought maybe mice !!!! or even a rat of some description was having a frebbie with our rations , but on investigation they would have had to have had rather large rucksacks for the amount of rations that were missing

so a trap was set Ham, cheese,onion, Butter and bread were laid out on the table lights extinguised sentrys posted and we retired to bed

within 30 mins our sentry reported movement down stairs ,explaining that he heard scraping and sawing noises coupled with little squeals of delight and grunting noises ,armed with half full bottles of wine and assorted spirits , and with the stealth and guille of 22 SAS we approached the kitchen area where our trap was laid ,and with the intention of belting the you know what out of what ever or who ever was having a frebbie feed on us ,

on a pre determined signal the lights were turned on and we assaulted the kitchen like the embassy was stormed , and to our surprise we saw ...................see next pic

Thank goodness I wasn't driving when I read this Bruce it is as funny as the story in the car yesterday, let me share it with you pals of the great forum...............

........................ now that I am back and working I phone Willy and Bruce in the morning to prove that I am again on the road to work. Yesterday I phoned Willy as usual for a quick chat then phoned the Bruce only to be told the tale of the phone call to Jeff aka Wulsten.

Bruce had caught Jeff on the forum and sent him a pm to get his phone number, Jeff replied a few minutes later. Bruce logs himself off the forum goes and gets the phone, fags, ashtray and beer to sit down and have a natter with Jeff.

Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring. "Hello"

Bruce "is Jeff there please"

"hold on I will get him"

2 mins pass " hello"

Bruce "is that you Jeff"

"No ris is chef"

Bruce " I am after Jeff"

"It ris the chef"

Bruce "I want to speak to Jeff"

"Sorry sir ris is the chef at the lucky fortune chinese take away no one here is called Jeff"

Bruce "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Wulsten only gave Bruce the phone number to his local TAKE AWAY.

When Bruce told me this on the hands free I had to pull over before I put the car in a ditch I was wetting myself that much.

p.s the cheese gave me nightmares and cronic heartburn lol. Last time I raid your stores.

Some of my photos to follow. If any member from the trip wishes for me to delete any please let me know.

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1175854332.jpg

As this is a common feature of the landscape I haven't the foggiest where it was taken,

I think it was near Hawthorn crater.

Guest KevinEndon

More photos to follow later.

Can I just say that this trip to me as a first timer to the Somme has to be the trip to be remembered forever. The friendships struck forever, the laughter we shared the tears we shared, the photos to be shared. It was for me overwhelming at times, and I thank everyone on the trip who made it so. Bruce and Willy for convincing me I could do it, Jeff, John and Barrie for boosting my confidence in driving on the other side of the road, Garron and Baldrick for taking the butt of the jokes and diverting them from me lol and Dave for taking us places I would never have seen.

I can now see why the battlefields pull people back time after time after time and I for one will be back and fingers crossed with the same posse.

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1175858012.jpg

post-11197-1175857978.jpg

One of the field guns had a blackbird nesting

in it also along with the blackbirds nest was a

shell jammed up the barrel, when I went to look

at the shell stuck in the barrel the blackbird flew

out of her nest showing her 3 eggs.

From a thing of death and destruction there was beauty and life.

Last one of the building.

post-11197-1175853953.jpg

The " Building" is the remains of the German Defence Work known as "GIBRALTAR".

post-7805-1175858374.jpg

Willy, that lad of yours took some fantastic photographs - is this a serious hobby or something for fun? He's certainly got an eye for a good photograph.

Cheers

Barrie

Baz he has only been using a camera for about 3 months!

I have really enjoyed looking at your pictures of the Somme Tour. I was there myself on 16/17/18 March and its great to see pictures of the same area I visited myself. I took loads of pictures, but, I have to be honest, not as good as your lot. Baz must be a budding Lord Lichfield !

Terry

Guest KevinEndon

I have a confession to make oh pals of mine. I brough home some battlefield relics. I smuggled them past the French and British customs with the cunning of a sly old fox, I didn't even sweat when they looked at me. I drove home and without feeling any guilt I went to retrieve my piece of Somme battlefields relic. It was lodged in my tyre. A great big rusty chunk of metal. Do you think I could put it on ebay and get the price of my new tyre back.

Bruce how did you manage to tell the wife how it came to be that you were stinking of womans perfume after being on the ferry. :P

As a matter of interest ... this is Hanna VC on the plaque at the Ulster Tower.

post-1582-1175894025.jpg

a couple pics for our australian pals memorial to the australians which stands to the left and at the rear of the gibralter bunker thievpal in the distance

449526794_747f1e529f.jpg

well we just had to stop at tommies fer lunch and a comfort break see we got on well with the doorman you figure out the dummy !!! but be warned pals dont buy a t shirt before ye check it one dummy bought one saying lets we forget, wife binned it on return :lol:

449526800_4b1e5f685f.jpg