Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

well pals and paletes

as you can see we are having a great time on and off the battlefields , the comradeship amongst the amigoes was brilliant even after many relaxing lubrication sessions ,nobody caught food poisioning from my cooking and we all got along fine ,we paid our respects to the fallen in many ways ,

before i forget a few thank yous ,to those that drove us many thanks, a thank less job i know ,especially when two sat navs were in operation and neither agreed :lol: to dave for his translation skills and local knowledge ,to my best friend willy who knows his stuff on the somme ,to all the pals that came thank you for your company and friendship,To baz who made great efforts to join the trip even though kev tried to throw him off track with dates and times

to you all thanks for making this trip a very enjoyable experience and may our friendships last for many years to come

tafski

ps

would like to thank the batman james and garron for the duties they performed but i cant they did nothing :lol: but seriousley they were the youngest and took the banter and leg pulling with out complaint and fitted well into this old mans tour good on the pair of ye

bruce B)

yep ian ye right there just to prove me and bigfella jeff wernt the only ones to lubricate heres our translator and good friend dave excuse for lubrication getting his vocal chords ready to speak da lingo as if :lol:

446338440_acf64abbd3.jpg

Is that London Pride on the bar???

Bruce

See how the headstones follow the trenchline.

c.jpg

This one is Flatiron.

d.jpg

Welsh dragon at Mametz

a.jpg

b.jpg

Fantastic bit of work this.She looks down on the wood,we had a walk in there & it was so silent.Garron gave us a good history of this place & Willy too but,he was annoyed that he'd found traces of diggers at work there.Heard about more at Ulster Tower.Shame.

Aussie memorial at Pozieres.

e.jpg

You can just see Thiepval in the distance.

f.jpg

Trying to hire a new tour guide at Tommies.We couldnt afford him.

On route to BH,Willy stopped to show us the killing fields.

Incredible views of the chalk spoil that shows the trench lines for miles.

This was a big German shell a farmer had left.

g.jpg

j.jpg

& an 18 lb'er,just by the sunken lane.

Welsh dragon at Mametz

a.jpg

b.jpg

Fantastic bit of work this.She looks down on the wood,we had a walk in there & it was so silent.Garron gave us a good history of this place & Willy too but,he was annoyed that he'd found traces of diggers at work there.Heard about more at Ulster Tower.Shame.

a few more of the mametz memorial

446506534_49157fbc71.jpg

Entrance to the lane.Its a bit higher than it was back on the day but,this was one of the kick off points you really didnt want to be on.

i.jpg

This is from the top.I think the film of the troops was made here on the right.

k.jpg

Lonsdale cemetary.After 3rd Borders I imagine.What a fantastic place.Very tranquille.I wish I'd taken more photos here.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

One for borderman.Someone tell me why this bloke has no cross please?

l3.jpg

Of the 4 copses at the Serre trenchline start point,this is Mark,I think.New memorial is loved/hated by all.I liked it but only cos of where it was.This place is so peaceful you can imagine kids running round it playing,until you look up the hill & see where the troops headed to.MG08 city.Really no chance.

mark.jpg

Behind the "wall" down to the cem.

mark2.jpg

& the end of the 2nd day(for some of us anyway.Some of the guys got to visit/walk the locality while the rest were chilling out after a hard days walk,with no lunch!).I have to admire the stamina & thirst for knowledge that the troop showed &,the info that all were willing to share.Magic.

very nice photos lads esp the mametz dragon,but could have done with out tafski in the kilt,I have printed it off and placed in the window to scare the cats outta my garden

Nice photos. Still none the wiser as is who is who though think I am slowly working it out. Bruce in a kilt....... well reserving comment on that one. Now guys tell me pretty please. :)

Ali

Someone tell me why this bloke has no cross please?

l3.jpg

This will be because the next of kin requested (probably for religious reasons) that there be no cross. I saw another at Tyne Cot last year.

post-12111-1175758431.jpg

which is strange given the text. Bruce and the boys, looks like you had a great time and perfect weather. Ah, Brits abroad, what a quaint tableau....

Nice photos. Still none the wiser as is who is who though think I am slowly working it out. Bruce in a kilt....... well reserving comment on that one. Now guys tell me pretty please. :)

Ali

Ali,

I would love to reveal the identities of all, but i'm wondering if some of the guys are trying to remain incognito? :rolleyes: I'm the chap in the Douglas Tartan kilt with the typical 'milk-bottle blue' tan that the majority of Scots sport all year round :)

What a laugh it was. When we going back Bruce, i've already been given the Green Light for go

Barrie

Another one from Lonsdale. There was definitly something really peaceful about this particular cemetery - maybe it was just the peace and quiet and perfect weather, but it was certainly a lovely place.

post-9547-1175773229.jpg

Thiepval in the distance

Lonsdale again

post-9547-1175773330.jpg

First time I saw this memorial I confess I wasn't too sure about it - the more I look at all the different photographs of it, the more I like it. A fine tribute to all the lads of the Welsh Division.

post-9547-1175773544.jpg

Pals

Terrific photos and glad you all had a brill time.

Can I reserve a place on your next adventure - looks like my kind of fun, except the drinking bit - teetotal me :lol:

Your pics bring back memories - keep 'em coming

Glyn