Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

German bunker rotting away in a field

PICT1557.jpg

More of a supplies bunker really,as there are other bunkers nearby & what looks like a hard stand.

This sign post limits the boundry between Moulainville & the (unfindable)Fort de Moulinville,now in the heart of an army range.

PICT1558.jpg

& thats the end of the Arnold Rimmer slide show :D

Guest Trenchwire
Not there yet, this is a visit late May/june

Shirley

Shirly if i was you and given the time scale i would go to Ypres,it will be a lot quicker for you and there is a lot more amenities there,if you are sensible with your visit times you should be able to do it in a day providing you get there early.

Be sure to look up

the menin gate

tyne cott

passendale

hill 62

hill 60

hoodge

Plugstreet wood where the xmas truce took part,and Bruce Bairnsfather and Winston Churchill served.

The picture below is of essex farm cemetery where john mccrae wrote in Flanders fields.

If you can stay longer make sure you are at the gate for 8,0 clock for the last post i guarantee you will feel the emotions, works for me everytime, oh and the square is fantastic.

post-8421-1176454245.jpg

Shirly if i was you and given the time scale i would go to Ypres,it will be a lot quicker for you and there is a lot more amenities there,if you are sensible with your visit times you should be able to do it in a day providing you get there early.

Thanks Trenchwire, and I am sorry I have only just found this. I have had some kind replies re Somme and with this intinerary I will make plans once I get to UK and the grandchild has made an appearance.

Having been focussed on North Africa and Gallipoli, this forum has a lot to answer for in terms of travel, time and money!

Thanks again

Shirley

Unbelievable photos. Stunning, evocative and haunting.....

Thanks for sharing them and your trip (lucky so and so's)

Ps . I thought there had been a cross between Jim Mcdonald and Johnny Vegas (DON'T ask how)...... in the bar photo..... sorry bruce; luv ya really.

susan.

Ps . I thought there had been a cross between Jim Mcdonald and Johnny Vegas (DON'T ask how)...... in the bar photo..... sorry bruce; luv ya really.

susan.

no problems susan glad ye enjoyed the pics am sure there is more to come from other members of the tour party

as for the mcdonald/johny vegas this has now invoked a strict diet regime starting to day

please no rude comments from other pals :lol: i can bite :lol:

tafski B)

[

susan.

no problems susan glad ye enjoyed the pics am sure there is more to come from other members of the tour party

as for the mcdonald/johny vegas this has now invoked a strict diet regime starting to day

please no rude comments from other pals :lol: i can bite :lol:

tafski B)

I meant facially. Stay as you are. (wasn't looking elsewhere lol)

susan.

Some great photo's here guys, thanks for posting them.

Andy

to all pals

to see more pics of battlefield visits see stephanies thread on her battlefield tour in my battlefield tour some great pics

tafski ;)

After a magnificent repas,some die hards hit the old fire water in the Shell hole/Bunker(I cant remember ever leaving it,never mind its name)

4-1.jpg

George Coles original minder & friend in an uncannily devoid of alcohol bar scene

5-1.jpg

You cannot fault Chavasse farm as a billet for the Somme.All you ever need & all you can make of it rolled into one.Got nice neighbours too.

Didn't realise it was a Laurel and Hardy theme night.

The bloke on the left looks suspiciously like Wulsten

Am I right?

Liam

Guys,

Looked an absolutely fantastic trip and I am sure that lifelong friendships have been made.

Liam

The boys on the trip + kevs champion

A fine body of men. I see you were all kept on short rations. Great pix of what was obviously another grand trip.

Guys,

Pheeeewwww!!! finally got to the end of the thread.

A fantastic collection of pictures and I'm glad you had a great time. But my reason for posting is to say a big thanks. I was due to go on this trip but my dad died a few days before the tour began and to make matters worse he died whilst abroad.

After talking to Bruce he told me that you lit a candle to my dads memory whilst you were on the trip and that really touched me. I have no doubt my old man is tickled pink.

Anyway his ashes have been scattered back in his native Wales and I have done everything that he wanted when he died

So come the next trip to the Somme, Ypres, Verdun etc .......... there will be no holding me back.!!!!! Work permitting and of course she who must be obeyed.

A big thanks to all of you again

Martyn

Guest KevinEndon

So sorry you missed it Martyn under such sad circumstances, our thoughts were with you throughout the trip. I recorded the lighting of the candle for you and will get it all downloaded onto a dvd for you as a memoir to your father from all the lads on the trip. May he rest in peace in his beloved Wales.

Kevin

Martyn, I was the stand in on the trip and I am sorry it was under such circumstances. Though it was my first trip out there and I did enjoy it, I still felt really bad as you could not go, and I hope that we can meet on the next trip (if they will take me and my wardrobe again :lol: )

Gaz