Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

Thanks for getting me there Willy - not easy when none of the maps we had showed the air field that had been over the top of the road!

Known Unto God - Unknown graves in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery

post-9547-1176212907.jpg

Sights like this really put a lump in the throat. Came across one grave in here that I couldn't bring myself to even photograph - a young lad of 18 years old, the inscription at the bottom of the stone reading 'The Glory of Youth glowed in his veins - where is that Glory now?'

The atmosphere of the cemeteries in early morning was so different from the full light of day - I found the cemeteries disturbingly peaceful places to visit, I could wander around them all day and not even not even notice the passing of the hours.

Another from Grove Town

post-9547-1176213334.jpg

Felt a particular sadness about this particular cemetery - it's so far away from the popular places on the front (a few k's south of Meulte) that I doubt it ever gets any casual visitors at all.

great pics. I have never been to the Bullecourt museum but will now, thanks Bruce.

This is no good at all - have seen all the photos and have to get there. Please don't shoot me down in flames, but is it possible to do any day trip from Putney to a Western front battlefield in a day :D

I am in London for barely a month for the birth of a grandchild, and will be returning later in the year for a longer trip with husband, a visit to Tunisia and Gallipoli already in hand. Have never been to the Western Front.

I could escape for a day couldn't I?

Cheers

Shirley

A few members of this expedition knew that my tour wasn't gonna end in the Somme but at Verdun ,where an original invitee who couldn't make the 1st few days(Callum)managed to eventually get his time served in country,so to speak.

This is the A4 through the Argonne & later into the Meuse its self.A breathtaking place to see & it reminds me of Austria.

PICT1390.jpgHere is the 1st stop off point on a 3 day lighteneing tour of a place that would take you months to look round.

vout.jpgFort Vaux.One of the many forts in the north to west region of Verdun.I only wish that the rest of you could have been there!

Aussiechris,'

Shirley.

it would be a long day but its no problem to do it. Have undertaken the trip many times myself. Ideally you would need your own car to make the most of your time.

If you need a suggested route let me know.

any more photos of Verdun please?

and a big public THANK YOU for your continued efforts at Anzin St Aubin on my behalf!

Regards,

Scottie.

Inside the fort

vin2.jpgvbunks.jpg

This is no good at all - have seen all the photos and have to get there. Please don't shoot me down in flames, but is it possible to do any day trip from Putney to a Western front battlefield in a day :D

I am in London for barely a month for the birth of a grandchild, and will be returning later in the year for a longer trip with husband, a visit to Tunisia and Gallipoli already in hand. Have never been to the Western Front.

I could escape for a day couldn't I?

Cheers

Shirley

Hi shirley

get up very early and get back very late am sure you will see at least one battlefield

tafski

These rooms to the left of the fort(from entrance)are for a pair of the much revered French 75mm guns,seen trained on fort Douamont.

75mm.jpgo.jpg& as seen from the outside.

View/rangefinder spot & view of the land as seen from defenders pov.

75spyhole.jpg75sholview.jpgAs

seen here,this spot of land saw some of the most hellish fighting/bombardments ever.

This tunnel leads to where the Germans finally broke through,flamethrowers in this tight spot to tired soldiers

already mad from thirst.One of the coldest spots on earth to walk through.

vtunnel.jpg& the memorial room,where the dead were kept(in quicklime)vcrypt.jpg

Some from outside.

l.jpgThese from on topb-1.jpg

Dave glad you had a great time, Verdun looks lik an interesting place to visit, must do it sometime.

Gaz

This was the lid off a turret that got a hit from something huge.Look at the 2nd photo of the support to see how thick the steel was.Lid must weigh more than five tons!

h-1.jpgj-1.jpg

i-1.jpgg-1.jpg

OP with some hits taken

k-1.jpgn.jpg

Moat,seen from defenders pov.Even after several days of bombardment,I wouldn't fancy attacking across that.

e-1.jpg& to prove that nothing is shell proof,5 visible layers of concrete reinforced rsj's.This is just above the tunnel where the flamethrowers broke through.

c-1.jpg

French plaque outside the fort

vplaq.jpg"In this ruined fort,250 men for 7 days(1st-7 june 1916)resisted furious German gas & flamethrower attacks while being tortured by thirst."

& the youngest troop member with a German trench dagger found by him in the nearby woods.

PICT1542.jpgHe got his T shirt Taf!Covered in chocky now after easter...

Looks like a small bottle which would have contained a drug of some sort. The thin rubber memrane on top could be pierced by a hypodermic needle and some of the drug removed.

Tafski.Your Dvd is ready for You. :D