Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

This is Pozieres Military Cemetery and Memorial - beautiful place.

post-9547-1175780026.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel British Cemetery

post-9547-1175780592.jpg

Caterpillar Valley Cemetery at sun rise. Lots of our boys from the 1st, 5th and 9th Battalions in here.

post-9547-1175781013.jpg

Sadly many of the lads in here are unknown

post-9547-1175781196.jpg

For me Mametz was the most touching, as they 38th div were welsh, and this is the land on where my countrymen fell, so i was a bit choked up first time I saw the memorial.

DSCF0614.jpg

the memorial looking the field where the 10th 13th 14th and 15th welsh attacked with 13/15/16 rwf.

DSCF0617.jpg

DSCF0619.jpg

DSCF0620.jpg

Me by the memorial, thanks to kev for taking this pic.

DSCF0616-1.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Flat Iron Copse Cem

DSCF0637.jpg

here lay 2 Brothers from my village, the story goes one was hit by a sniper the otehr ran to give aid and got killed in the process, they died in each others arms.

DSCF0639.jpg

when i saw that, it was hard work to keep the tear back, sounds stupid I know.

Nothing stupid about that at all Garron. I felt like that when we got to Danzig Alley, and I didn't know any of the guys in there.

which is strange given the text.....

Some of the Presbyterian sects have very strict ideas on what constitutes a graven image. If you remember where the Cameronians got their name from, that will give you a clue. All honour to them.

DSCF0641.jpg

Lance Corporal Henry HARDWIDGE 20649 15th Bn Welsh Regiment, KIA 11/07/1916

DSCF0640.jpg

Corporal TOM HARDWIDGE 26634 15th Bn Welsh Regiment KIA 11/07/1916 (the elder of the 2 brothers he was hit first.)

This is a great tour and you obviously enjoyed yersels!! Maybe just as well I could'nt go as I'm not sure I would have managed the pace - touring or boozing.

Aye

Malcolm

The latest addition to Bullecourt for the 90th anniversaire this coming week.

Jean(who you have seen in previous photos & threads on here)has helped make this year into a great place to visit with his input & aid to the new mayor.A great man,honoured(like Denise his wife)by the Aussies for

all his hard work over the years.I'm proud to call him a friend & he is such a good host to whoever visits his museum & he has for years been a patient man with me & my wayward son!(Dont swing on the mortar tube Cally!Hein,ce n'est pas grave,laisse le gosse tranquile.What a bloke)

PICT3580.jpg

One of the workers on the chateau d'eau here was an Italian who was ribbing some of us about international

football etc.Thank God he dont speak Geordie!

As the third & final day was wearing on,after a few stops,we ended up at Avrils in her place Ocean Villas.

Very hot for march so we had a drink in the garden.

PICT3583.jpg

or two

PICT3584.jpg

Propa pints almost but those stemmed 1/2 ltr glasses make the chaps look like midgets

This is Avrils field that was the sight of the original signals trench,being reconstructed,that comes out of the cellar of a big barn there.Lots of work ahead.

You can see John trying to help in the capture of an enemy sheep WIA.More worried than anything,poor beast :P

PICT3581.jpg

The trench & new museum should be a good input for the place.Not a woman to mess with though.Still got a headache from it :D

'Barrie deep in thought of how things were at the Hammerhead Mametz, a moving moment, what the tour was really about.'

When i was looking at the ages of the fallen soliders, they were all close to mine, 18, 19, 20, 21. Just made me think that 90 years ago that could have been me or my mates. the scale of killing is quite a hard thing to comprehend for an 18 year old, well any age really.

Gaz

I lost me Ulster tower & Thiepval wood photos but,managed to nick one of my great uncle off a pal.Teddy put up this plaque last year when I was there.Another magic bloke but,not someone you'd be in the queue behind at C de G airport :lol:

PICT3586.jpg

I would love to reveal the identities of all, but i'm wondering if some of the guys are trying to remain incognito? :rolleyes: I'm the chap in the Douglas Tartan kilt with the typical 'milk-bottle blue' tan that the majority of Scots sport all year round

Barry,

You were the one I had correctly guessed. I now have figured Barry, Garron, Bruce, Kevin and Dave so not many to go. Ha Mr Tafski tells me he has a cunning plan. Well I have my own I bet I will have figured it out by the end of the Easter break :rolleyes:

I really only want to know so I can run if I see you coming :lol:

Cheers

Ali

At Avril's field, there were numerous welsh jokes about sheep, as you can guess. All aimed at me as taf had switched nationalities to jock.

Gaz

At Avril's field, there were numerous welsh jokes about sheep, as you can guess. All aimed at me as taf had switched nationalities to jock.

Gaz

Gaz,I cant find any snaps of you in the field outing.I guess your "cam yersel to 'ell" ploy worked.I never even heard a bleat,the poor dears :P ,ps.pin on the way.

Well it thats why camo was invented to belnd in and is favoured by many welsh men. but see what I mean, thats what i had to put up with :rolleyes::lol:

though the Kilt is better they don't hear a zip, eh Taf?

Cheers Dave your a star

Gaz B)

Out of all the memories that I have of this trip,3 stick in my mind the most.

Teddys story & photos of the phosgene cannisters found(plus the numbered spoon he's researching)from Thiepval wood.Scarey stuff.

Lonsdale cem.

Mametz wood.1st time there & It was just the contrast of me,Bruce & Garron sittin there in total silence,trying to imagine what went on there before the birds stopped singing.

Off topic,the memories of the friendliness & comradeship of the blokes on the tour ,to a total stranger ,made my wee trip something to put on my to do again list.