Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme tour 2007

Guest tafski

It has been said that you can see Messines ridge fromthe top of the tower.

Last time up there,I did see Mont des Cats which is en route.

PICT3503.jpg

These windows were payed for by us,as a gesture to all the French troops who died in this massive action before they moved to the Verdun battle/July Somme attack.

1-1.jpg

I have two difficulties with the museum at NDDL.

Firstly, just leaving all that equipment out to rot. In just a few years time, there will be nothing to see but rust.

Secondly, were the trenches really that close together there?

Bruce

some one playing soldiers

and the photo i was taking

DSCF0578.jpg

I have two difficulties with the museum at NDDL.

Firstly, just leaving all that equipment out to rot. In just a few years time, there will be nothing to see but rust.

Secondly, were the trenches really that close together there?

Bruce [/quote

I have read some French accounts of the fighting there. One of them states that they could throw grenades into each other's trenches, so they were pretty close.

After a wee run down the hill,the troop arrived at a place they all had planned in their itinira-itinerar-diaries.

The newly washed Vimy ridge memorial.

Magic to see this place without the covers on at last.Timings just right for the Canada 90th tour next week.

3-1.jpg

Still cant walk up to it for another week but,still one of the best ever to me...

Here we come to the Scots connection.

One of these thought he'd pull in five mins with all the French poule's there.

2-1.jpg

No one went native on this trip though.../Concrete sandbags at Vimy by the visitors centre in the trench system(20 yds from the opposing trench system)

There was a fantastic mueseum at NDDL, (the building next to the trenches), which has some breath taking things on display, trouble is you werent allowed to take pictures. :(

there were a few lewis guns, lots of dummies with kit, a MP 18, hotchkiss mg's, mg 08's 08/15s, smle's long lee's, relic weapons, helmets, you name it they had it.

Garron

Thanks for correcting me on the proximity of the trenches.

I still think it is a crying shame that all that ordnance will just rot.....a bit like the back of Tommy's......

Bruce

After a magnificent repas,some die hards hit the old fire water in the Shell hole/Bunker(I cant remember ever leaving it,never mind its name)

4-1.jpg

George Coles original minder & friend in an uncannily devoid of alcohol bar scene

5-1.jpg

You cannot fault Chavasse farm as a billet for the Somme.All you ever need & all you can make of it rolled into one.Got nice neighbours too.

After a magnificent repas,some die hards hit the old fire water in the Shell hole/Bunker(I cant remember ever leaving it,never mind its name)

4-1.jpg

George Coles original minder & friend in an uncannily devoid of alcohol bar scene

5-1.jpg

You cannot fault Chavasse farm as a billet for the Somme.All you ever need & all you can make of it rolled into one.Got nice neighbours too.

christ diddnt realise grant mitchell was on the tour :rolleyes:

[insert Funny caption here]

Garron

Bit dark this one.A cem not too far from the billet & photos a bit dark.

Had finished drinking etc.at 2am so I had a walk & slept in a field.This is what I saw at 6.40

6-1.jpg

My favourite time of day anywhere but,just outside of the village(Hardecourt)I took this,bout 7.30ish

PICT3544.jpg

So,met a nice bunch of pals in France,had a drink with them,then I slept on the line with some of our relatives,walked home & saw the sunrise.What a 1st day it was for me.

Thanks for correcting me on the proximity of the trenches.

I still think it is a crying shame that all that ordnance will just rot.....a bit like the back of Tommy's......

Bruce

No one at all is correcting you,Bruce :D its just that at the Labrynthe(as the French called it)the French troops were in the actual SAME trench complex(& it was complex)as the Germans.Your talkin about days & weeks of sleeping with the enemy who where feet away from you.Bayonets were a mans best friend there(& all the other close range nasties).Think of a maze & just add infantry :rolleyes:

D

From a thing of death and destruction there was beauty and life.

Kev,yer a poet & you know it but,I reckon yer talkin bout yer POM-POM :lol:

Feel free to slap :unsure:

[insert Funny caption here]

Garron

"Hello big boy, wanna see what a fireman keeps up his kilt?"

or

"Hello big boy, wanna play with me hose?"

I wont bother posting up any more pics of NDDL as they all look fairly similar to the ones already on (albeit of a slightly better standard, mwahahahah :lol: ). I think this was the first night in the Rum Ration, but I confess the nights do seem to have blurred into one :rolleyes:

post-9547-1175675862.jpg

And who might this young chap be - drinking out a bottle too forsooth! Ah, the youth of today [sigh] :D

post-9547-1175676099.jpg

I like this pic - took about 8 attempts to get the light right, but think it was worth it.

post-9547-1175676786.jpg