mrfrank

• Admin
12 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Bob,

The second signature from right, I read as:-  

W. A. S. Walker

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Kim for confirming this signature. Sometimes one can have a name in ones mind and eye but it may be totally wrong. Regards, Bob.

2 hours ago, mrfrank said:

I spent a long time looking at that signature without working it out, but I reckon you’ve got it Bob. He certainly hasn’t signed the mount per his location in the group. Quite the opposite in fact! 

I hope so mrfrank. From the names we have it seems to be the only one that will fit but I could be a mile off :lol: I did not think that we had identified 'John Arthur Muirhead' on the picture yet, or did I miss something?

On 22/02/2023 at 21:36, Bob Davies said:

I will bet my rum ration that number 4 1910 is W M Fordham, see my ramblings page 11 of this topic. @FROGSMILE   thinks number 7 but he may have changed his mind as it was a while ago now and more has come to light?

On 22/02/2023 at 22:51, FROGSMILE said:

Looking at the shape of the pouch belt plate of #4 I would say he is Fordham.  The DCO title scroll at the base of the badge gives the elongated rectangular appearance when viewed at distance, as opposed to the more perfect circle of #7.

The facings on drab tunics of the 20th DCO were green.  Their 1860s pouch badge was a wider spread Laurel wreath, with honours and cypher.  Their 1880s pouch badge was in the shape of a cross.  Then in 1902 it changed to be more an arrangement of Laurel leaves, cypher and honours before changing to the badge below when the unit title changed to DCOs.

On 22/02/2023 at 23:02, Bob Davies said:

Thanks again FROGSMILE. If Peter @PRC turns up a picture of him, which he may do yet and we are wrong then I will stand two rum rations :lol: Fordham had quite a career, he was Military Attache in Tehran 1911. I went down that route but no pictures turned up.

Absolute zero on finding an image of Fordham. I don't know if it helps but I've try to orient the 1902 pouch belt badge a bit closer to how it appears on our "suspects" picture. If this is one of those techy based crime shows the computers would do an overlay and say something like a 99% match:)

1672887094_Officer41910Badgematchv1.png.c8d82f6ebf13e1a0c31a2714b6ab3f33.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

Captain William Marshall Fordham, (1875-1959), 20th D.C.O. Infantry.

1909 entrant & 1911 graduate so should only appear on the 1910 picture.

(2 x MiC for a Lieutenant-Colonel W.M. Fordham, one as 20th Infantry and the other serving with the 20th D C O Infantry, Indian Army).

Wikipedia.

Brigadier William Marshall Fordham CB CBE (9 August 1875 – 9 December 1959) was a senior British Indian Army officer who served during the First World War.

Born on 9 August 1875, William Marshall Fordham was educated at Bedford School, between 1887 and 1893, and at Royal Military College, Sandhurst. He served on the North West Frontier, between 1897 and 1898, in China during the Boxer Rebellion, in 1900, during the First World War, between 1914 and 1918, and in Waziristan, between 1922 and 1923.

He was Aide-de-camp to King George V between 1930 and 1932 and Commander of the 1st Infantry Brigade, in Abbottabad, India between 1928 and 1932.

He retired from the British Indian Army in 1932.[1]

Fordham was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1924 and Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1928. He died in Felixstowe on 9 December 1959.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Marshall_Fordham

(I'm assuming that as Commander of the 1st Brigade in India between 1928 and 1932 his role as ADC to the King was an honorary one, as the King did not visit India during that time period. Certainly none of the pictures I could find of the King with his Military aides in the early thirties turned up anyone with a resemblance to Officer 4. He gets mentioned \ listed in various publications about the Boxer rebellion but seems to escape being photographed. ).

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks Kim for confirming this signature. Sometimes one can have a name in ones mind and eye but it may be totally wrong. Regards, Bob.

I hope so mrfrank. From the names we have it seems to be the only one that will fit but I could be a mile off :lol: I did not think that we had identified 'John Arthur Muirhead' on the picture yet, or did I miss something?

I’m not at home so can’t confirm if this is the case or why, but I think I had JA Muirhead as being #15 on the 1910 and #25 on the 1911 image. 

• Admin
6 hours ago, mrfrank said:

I’m not at home so can’t confirm if this is the case or why, but I think I had JA Muirhead as being #15 on the 1910 and #25 on the 1911 image. 

I just had a look on Peters list on page 15 (Edit; it is on page 14)  of the topic and yes you are correct, it says;  "15: Native cavalry? As a 1910 entrant that shifts the focus to John Arthur Muirhead, 1st Duke of York's Own Lancers (Skinner's Horse) as a possibility.[25]"

Edited by Bob Davies

Captain Charles Robertson, 19th Bengal Lancers, (Fanes Horse).

1910 entrant and 1912 graduate, so in theory should be on both pictures.

As I said on Wednesday, Captain Robertson and I have “history” :)

When looking for pictures like most of us I do the really basic searches first – in this case a google search for “Charles Robertson 19th Bengal Lancers”

The first match is a brief piece I wrote to accompany a picture of his headstone taken in June 2015. To be honest at the time I took the picture I didn’t know it was him. I was taking pictures of the village memorial in West Runton on the coast of Norfolk, and as usual I took a walk around the churchyard looking for any information that might shed light on the names on the memorial. I was in luck as the grass had very recently been cut. What ever machine had been used has also flattened a patch of stinging nettles, and in what remained I could see there was a headstone. Pushing aside the nettles revealed a commemoration to a Charles Robertson, Major 19th Bengal Lancers, born 1874 – but the final line giving details of when he died was buried too deep in the ground.

Back home a search of the General Registrars Office records revealed that a Charles Robertson born c1874, died in the West Runton area on the 10th February 1915. And a check of the CWGC database revealed he had recently been added, but the actual place where he was buried was unknown and so he was to be remembered on the Brookwood Memorial.

A further search brought me back to the Great War Forum and a request from the late lamented @chrisharley9 for assistance in finding the grave – apparently two IFCP members had visited the area and had been unable to find him. Armed with the photograph and my description of where I had found the grave, Chris was able to work with CWGC to add maintenance of the grave to their responsibilities and update their database.

Major Charles Robertson 19th Bengal Lancers 1915

I don’t have another picture of Charles as yet to be able to make a comparison, but I also don’t have any notes for local newspapers for February 1915, so there may be something there. None of the relevant titles are as yet online.

The search continues….
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

• Admin
41 minutes ago, PRC said:

The search continues….

Courtesy of Fold 3. There is not a lot about him easily found on Ancestry Peter, in comparison to the other Officers I have searched for.image.png.99dd541ea2eb3ff9201f871fe3638e96.png

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Captain Charles Robertson, 19th Bengal Lancers, (Fanes Horse).

1910 entrant and 1912 graduate, so in theory should be on both pictures.

As I said on Wednesday, Captain Robertson and I have “history” :)

When looking for pictures like most of us I do the really basic searches first – in this case a google search for “Charles Robertson 19th Bengal Lancers”

The first match is a brief piece I wrote to accompany a picture of his headstone taken in June 2015. To be honest at the time I took the picture I didn’t know it was him. I was taking pictures of the village memorial in West Runton on the coast of Norfolk, and as usual I took a walk around the churchyard looking for any information that might shed light on the names on the memorial. I was in luck as the grass had very recently been cut. What ever machine had been used has also flattened a patch of stinging nettles, and in what remained I could see there was a headstone. Pushing aside the nettles revealed a commemoration to a Charles Robertson, Major 19th Bengal Lancers, born 1874 – but the final line giving details of when he died was buried too deep in the ground.

Back home a search of the General Registrars Office records revealed that a Charles Robertson born c1874, died in the West Runton area on the 10th February 1915. And a check of the CWGC database revealed he had recently been added, but the actual place where he was buried was unknown and so he was to be remembered on the Brookwood Memorial.

A further search brought me back to the Great War Forum and a request from the late lamented @chrisharley9 for assistance in finding the grave – apparently two IFCP members had visited the area and had been unable to find him. Armed with the photograph and my description of where I had found the grave, Chris was able to work with CWGC to add maintenance of the grave to their responsibilities and update their database.

Major Charles Robertson 19th Bengal Lancers 1915

I don’t have another picture of Charles as yet to be able to make a comparison, but I also don’t have any notes for local newspapers for February 1915, so there may be something there. None of the relevant titles are as yet online.

The search continues….
Peter

Well if we can pick him out Peter, this is what he should look like.   As an officer below field rank he would have just single V lace on his cuffs.  The lowermost photo shows the undress pouch belt, notice the honour scrolls, one each above and below the badge. 

5B484B02-E0AA-4E44-B6DA-96898F88D64A.png

2B217ABA-E11B-4849-8E35-52855C015AE6.jpeg

5A656578-D840-43D0-BE43-56515A97A37B.jpeg

7F77D913-9B32-4312-BB24-CF7341460601.jpeg

AAF2EA6D-4F79-4A22-8851-BB7619C86A48.jpeg

ED11A478-C06F-4A34-AED5-ADC0A14A5F1B.jpeg

2F1EA909-531C-4621-9344-81FD91C9B3C6.jpeg

A40F805E-247A-4086-B2C8-CB8255EAA88E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

There is not a lot about him easily found on Ancestry Peter, in comparison to the other Officers I have searched for.

From the original missed commemoration thread:-

Born 14th April 1874, son of J C Robertson, ICS
Educated at St. Peter's College, Radley from 1887 to 1890

Commissioned 1st October 1893 – Highland Light Infantry
Lieutenant 7th May 1896

Appointed Indian army 3rd October 1897 and the 19th Bengal Lancers

Captain 21st October 1902
Adjutant, 19th Lancers 10th December 1903 to 7th December 1907
Part time Squadron Commander 19th Lancers 1st November 1906
Full Squadron Commander 19th Lancers 4th February 1910
Specially nominated to Quetta Staff College in 1910
Major 21st October 1911
Graduated from the Staff College, Quetta in May 1912

On leave, out of India with a medical certificate for twenty months from 19th April 1913

Died 10th February 1915 West Runton, Norfolk

He was carried on the active list (still listed with the 19th Lancers in the January 1915 Indian Army List thus), although he was at home on a medical certificate when war broke out and alas looks to have died from what ever forced him on a medical certifiicate. His death is recorded in the Monthly Army List.

Death Certificate details
1) When and where died:…Tenth February 1915 St Aeliers Runton R D
2) Name and surname:……Charles Robertson
3) Sex:……………………….Male
4) Age:……………………….40
5) Occupation:………………Major 19th Bengal Lancers
6) Cause of death:

1. Duodenal Ulcer
2. Perforation – Operation Peritonitis
Certified by G. E. Linnell M.B.

7) Signature, description and residence of informant:

G. A. Robertson
Brother
In attendance
Little Wittenham
Abingdon

8) When registered:……………Twelfth February 1915
9)Signature of registrar:……….Harry Buxton

Unfortunately can't get the thread to come up in the search, and my link was from when the forum web addresses had the "1914-18.invisionzome.com" format.

Given the circumstances I suspect he's not going to crop in many of the usual places - he certainly isn't remembered on the West Runton War Memorial, and he qualifies as amongst the Great War dead as a result of the letter of the law rather than perhaps the spirit. But it is what it is.

Cheers,
Peter

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Well if we can pick him out Peter, this is what he should look like. 

5B484B02-E0AA-4E44-B6DA-96898F88D64A.png

On 31/01/2023 at 23:47, mrfrank said:

Just registered with JSTOR and accessed an article by The Journal of the Society of Historical Research entitled ‘Personalities and Uniforms at the Sauger Cavalry School, India, 1910’. Very useful in that it has a large group photo with accompanying key identifying the sitters and therefore uniform. From those regiments represented I’ve believe these are the regiments and individuals in The Quetta photograph:

#8 - 35th Scinde Horse, ED Giles

#20 - 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse), HCS Ward

#41 - 27th Light Cavalry, TGJ Torrie

#31 remains unidentified

Looking at those first images posted of the 19th Bengal Lancers, I'm drawn to officer 20 on the 1911 photograph - although as you can see that officer is currently identified as Henry Charles Swinburne Ward on the basis of the post from @mrfrank

Heres the officer in question -

1394663632_QuettaCollege1911photomergev1Officer20.png.713c54ad0daabce1046cc664918046be.png

I do have to admit though I've been going round and round in circles with the uniform previously - officer 8 from the 1911 picture appears to wear headgear in a pattern  common to the regiments of the Bengal Lancers, but all the other aspects seems at odds.

860823787_QuettaCollege1911picturecentresourcedGWFownerMrFrankofficer8.jpg.d0e62eee6bd007498d7bddf24dcc1e50.jpg

Neither man has an obvious match on the 1910 photograph - if either man is Robertson then he should be present on both.

Cheers,
Peter.

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Looking at those first images posted of the 19th Bengal Lancers, I'm drawn to officer 20 on the 1911 photograph - although as you can see that officer is currently identified as Henry Charles Swinburne Ward on the basis of the post from @mrfrank

Heres the officer in question -

1394663632_QuettaCollege1911photomergev1Officer20.png.713c54ad0daabce1046cc664918046be.png

I do have to admit though I've been going round and round in circles with the uniform previously - officer 8 from the 1911 picture appears to wear headgear in a pattern  common to the regiments of the Bengal Lancers, but all the other aspects seems at odds.

860823787_QuettaCollege1911picturecentresourcedGWFownerMrFrankofficer8.jpg.d0e62eee6bd007498d7bddf24dcc1e50.jpg

Neither man has an obvious match on the 1910 photograph - if either man is Robertson then he should be present on both.

Cheers,
Peter.

The uppermost photo is correct for the 19th (fellow with the protruding ears), I can make out the star shaped pouch badge, I believe, and the rest of his uniform matches too, especially the very pale appearance of the silver lace favoured by the regiment on uniform (collar and cuffs) cap lines, waist belt, and pouch belt.

The lowermost photo is wrong colour facings (visible on collar) and the striped pagri doesn't match the 19th’s either.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

By the cuffs I would say 25 on the Haig Picture.image.png.df21c346c0de52663b20c7d9f9fcd141.png

No the facing colour is wrong Bob, it should show on the photo as a pale shade reflecting the light blue facings.  That is also a lancer regiment with a full plastron rather than the half plastron favoured by the 19th (and the other Indian lancer units too).

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

No the facing colour is wrong Bob, it should show on the photo as a pale shade reflecting the light blue facings.  That is also a lancer regiment with a full plastron rather than the half plastron favoured by the 19th (and several other Indian lancer units too).

That was my second thought also the chain shoulder thigymagigs.

14 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

That was my second thought also the chain shoulder thigymagigs.

Not chains on #25 Bob, just Lancer pattern twisted cord shoulder knots.

C3F89083-5179-4FDA-823B-3EB366CD8F8A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not chains on #25 Bob, just Lancer pattern twisted cord shoulder knots.

I meant to say lack of chain mail shoulders

40 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I meant to say lack of chain mail shoulders

We’re trying to match with the 19th Bengal Lancers, who also had no chain mail on their Type A review order?  It would be the exact same uniform as #20 in the 1911 photo assuming he’s not wearing Type B (native).

If #20 is Captain Ward of the 2nd Bengal Lancers (Gardner’s Horse) then although the uniform was similar, and dark blue with pale blue facings, they uniquely had a line of pale blue facing protruding directly above the V shaped gilt bullion lace**.  See below.  The gilt would also appear a little darker in B&W than the silver of the 19th.

**in other regiments the bullion lace V directly bordered the pointed cuff.

B428FA33-2C3F-4B55-9975-F41A28108C75.jpeg

D58631B1-9506-44EC-8549-6528E6297054.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

We’re trying to match with the 19th Bengal Lancers, who also had no chain mail on their Type A review order?

Ok, I was not aware of that fact. I was going by what you had posted earlier where there is a picture of chain shoulders.

6 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Ok, I was not aware of that fact. I was going by what you had posted earlier where there is a picture of chain shoulders.

With the turban?  Yes that’s with Type B dress (the native pattern primarily for when on parade with formed bodies of troops (to be like the men)).  You might recall explanation of Types A and B early in the thread. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

With the turban?  Yes that’s with Type B dress (the native pattern primarily for when on parade with formed bodies).  You might recall explanation of Types A and B early in the thread. 

I will re read that. Thank you. Signing off now. Best Wishes to you.

18 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I will re read that. Thank you. Signing off now. Best Wishes to you.

And to you.  It’s complicated, I know!

2nd Bengal Lancers:

The mounted figure is a lieutenant dressed according to the regulations laid down by the Adjutant, Captain A G Pritchard, at Jullundur in October 1901:

‘When on mounted duty not parading with the regiment, as on occasions of ceremonial at other stations or in England, or acting as staff officer when the troops are in full dress.

White helmet
Tunic
Gold Laced pantaloons
Black leather boots
Straight steel spurs
Sword and steel scabbard in shoe case
Gold pouch-belt, gold frog and knot
Girdle
White gauntlets
End of lines fastened under curtain of helmet
Full Horse furniture and appointments
Red throat plume
Chain reins and poll chains
Head rope (white)

The standing figure is a field officer officiating as Brigadier. His helmet spike has been removed and replaced by white over red swan feather plumes,10.5 ins long. Instead of the lancer girdle, he has around his waist a gold and crimson sash with crimson and bullion tassels. His cap-lines go around his tunic collar instead of attaching to his helmet. He wears gold laced trousers and Wellington boots with straight brass spurs.

Writing in 1909, to Messrs Ranken and Co Tailors, the Adjutant stated “The tunic is optional; most junior officers have not purchased it and wear the blue Kurta and Loongi in full dress.”

4269F829-AC49-42F4-8B4C-B9D5B066603A.jpeg

BA543B62-793E-4681-9172-E0739C3D54C4.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 31/01/2023 at 23:47, mrfrank said:

Just registered with JSTOR and accessed an article by The Journal of the Society of Historical Research entitled ‘Personalities and Uniforms at the Sauger Cavalry School, India, 1910’. Very useful in that it has a large group photo with accompanying key identifying the sitters and therefore uniform. From those regiments represented I’ve believe these are the regiments and individuals in The Quetta photograph:

#8 - 35th Scinde Horse, ED Giles

#20 - 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse), HCS Ward

#41 - 27th Light Cavalry, TGJ Torrie

#31 remains unidentified

As the identification of Ward as officer 20 was now in doubt, I thought I should take a look to see if this also undermined the case for Giles and Torrie.

The article is actually from the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research Vol.58 No. 235 (Autumn 1980) pages 148-159 and attempts to use the picture taken of the 1910 intake and staff at the new Cavalry school at SAUGOR to examine the wide variety of uniforms amongst the Cavalry based in India. Re-reading the above post I can see it has been used to identify units rather than individuals. For those with access to JSTOR - non-subscription access allows you to view 100 articles per month - then the article is here https://www.jstor.org/stable/44230331

Author was R.G. Harris

However for novices like myself on a steep learning curve since this thread began, I thought it might be helpful to post some of the information here. First of all I stitched back to together the photograph and the associated key - the scanning of each had split them into three parts.

1707399319_TheSaugorCavalrySchoolIndia1910.png.f3ee7dbbda18895d3bf6c639fedd09a8.png

1911226775_Groupshotoutlinedandnumbered.png.8764ca16f6f093f9a57c4cf88719ff0c.png

The picture features 109 individuals, although if I've done my reconcilation correctly it doesn't even attempt 12 of them, although it also allocates the same number twice over and there are several instances of mutual either \ or pairings.

For what it's worth, including the relevant uniform details, heres the run through of the information gleaned from the article:-

1. Indian Officer, 22nd Sam Browne’s Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

2. Jemadar, 42nd Deoli Regiment. Uniform – Dark green, facings scarlet. As an officer has brass buttons.

3. Ressaidar Indar Singh, 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Uniform Rifle green, facings white.

4. Ressaidar Hukam Singh, 26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. In this particular regiment Indian officers had silver tracing outling pockets.

5. Jemadar Jir Singh, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

6. Jemadar Kehar Singh, 11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

7. Jemadar Zardad Khan, Queens Own Corps of Guides. Service Medal for North West Frontier Actions, right breast Royal Humane Society. Uniform - drab, facings red velvet, (scarlet cloth other ranks).

9. Jemadar Nur Khan, 10th Duke of Cambridge’s Own Lancers (Hodson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet. Nur Khan wear the Indian Officers scarlet cloth shoulder pieces, gold edged, shaped as chains but worn by Indian Officers in lieu of chains.

10. Jemadar Muhammad Yusef Khan, 4th Cavalry. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

11. Jemadar Walidad Khan, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Uniform blue, facings yellow.

12. Ressaidar Suraj Singh, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Indian full dress as does Captain Sangster (61).

13. Ressaidar Malik Sher Shah Khan, 28th Light Cavalry. Uniform French grey, facings buff, lace silver.

14. Indian Officer, 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings French grey, lace silver.

15. Jemadar Gurdatt Singh, 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. It will be noticed that a gold shoulder belt is worn over the right shoulder by both British and Indian Officers in this regiment.

16. Indian Officer. 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform drab, facings maroon.

17. Indian Officer, 23rd Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

18. Jemadar Abdul Sattar Khan, 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

19. N.C.O., 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

20. N.C.O., 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Uniform Rifle green, facings white.

22. Believed NCO of the 34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse. Uniform – dark blue, facings French grey.

23. Lieutenant E.S. Vicary, 16th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

24. Lieutenant J.N. Simonds, 35th Scinde Horse. Uniform blue, facings white.

25. Captain B.C. Fellows, Student Instructor, 30th Lancers (Gordon’s Horse). Captain Fellows wears the British Officer’s Lancer uniform of rifle green with half-plastron of white.

26. Captain O.A.R. Berkeley-Hill, M.B., Indian Medical Service.

27. Lieutenant G.N. Reynolds, Instructor, 21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers. Uniform blue, Distinctive plastron/ facings of French Grey.

28. Captain A.M. Kettlewell, Staff Instructor. 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse.

29. The Commandant, Brigadier-General R. Wapshare.

30. Major P.O. Hambro, Instructor, 15th (The King’s) Hussars.

31. Captain R.W.W. Grimshaw, Adjutant and Quartermaster, 34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse. Captain Grimshaw is wearing the uniform of British Officer when not parading with his troops, in this regiment a Dragoon-style tunic of dark blue with French grey collar and cuffs.

32. Lieutenant W.R.P. Henry, 12th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

33. Lieutenant C.K. Greenway, 26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

34. Captain C.K. Howell, Student Instructor, 18th King George’s Own Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings white.

35. Lieutenant R.E. Harenc, 4th Cavalry. Lieutenant Harenc is the only officer present in undress (No.5) scarlet frock with blue collar.

36. Lieutenant R.B. Macan, 28th Light Cavalry. Uniform French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

38. Indian Officer, 36th Jacob’s Horse. Uniform blue, facings primrose. The Indian Officer has slightly more ornamentation to kurta, collar-lace all round.

39. N.C.O. 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse, (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta).

40. N.C.O., 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

41. Lieutenant C.A.C. Mackenzie, 20th Deccan Horse. Uniform rifle green, facings white or
41. N.C.O., 4th Cavalry. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. (Error in original article)

42. N.C.O., 42nd Deoli Regiment. Uniform – Dark green, facings scarlet.

44. Lieutenant F. Gwatkin, 18th King George’s Own Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings white.

45. Lieutenant D.G. Bromilow, 14th Murray’s Jat Lancers. Uniform blue, facings scarlet. Or
45. Ressaidar Mul Singh, Instructor, 27th Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. (Error in the original article).

46. Lieutenant St.J. V. Baker, 11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

47. Lieutenant D.C. Boles, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

48. Lieutenant S.J. Sassoon, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on the officer’s collar in silver, (on NCO’s as arm badge).

50. Lieutenant A.B. Porter, 6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry. Uniform blue, facing scarlet. Note collar badges worn on officers’ kurta in this regiment, the Plume of the Prince of Wales.

51. Lieutenant G.B. Howell, 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Lieutenant Howell wears the British Officer’s Lancers uniform with half plastron of French grey.

52. Lieutenant A.M. Daniels, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Lieutenant Daniels wears the British officers full dress as for regiment of horse.

53. Lieutenant M.E. Parnell, 36th Jacob’s Horse. Uniform blue, facings primrose.

54. Lieutenant V.F.L.P. Jackson, 27th Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

55. Lieutenant J.H. Hind, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress).

56. Lieutenant J.F. Neilson, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

57. Lieutenant D.S. Davison, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Lancers full dress with half plastron of light blue.

58. Indian Officer, 25th Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform – dark green, facings scarlet, puggri scarlet.

59. thought to be Daffadar Malik Alam Sher-Khan, 17th Cavalry, Uniform blue, facings white.

61. Captain R.B. Sangster, Student Instructor, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Indian full dress.

62. Lieutenant M.H. Jackson, 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Lieutenant Jackson wears the British Officer’s Lancer uniform of rifle green with full plastron of white.

63. Either Lieutenant W.A.K. Fraser, 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse, (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta) or Lieutenant G. Henderson, 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse  - see also 66.

64. Lieutenant O.E.U. Ingram, Student Instructor, 1st King George’s Own Sappers and Miners, (No.1 Company, Rurki), Royal Engineers. Uniform scarlet tunic.

65. Lieutenant F.H. Moody, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

66. Either Lieutenant W.A.K. Fraser, 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta) or Lieutenant G. Henderson, 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse  - see also 63.

67. Lieutenant F.C.C. Yeats-Brown, 17th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings white.

68. Lieutenant J.F.W. Olgivie, Queens Own Corps of Guides, Cavalry. British officers wore tunic with five quadruple rows of drab silk cord hanging loose across the breast.

69.Lieutenant H. Gillies, 1st Duke of York’s Own Lancers (Skinner’s Horse). Uniform yellow, facings black velvet.

70. Lieutenant W. Kenworthy, 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

71. 2nd Lieutenant E.W. H. Sprout, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The regimental badge, the double-headed eagle of Austria, can be seen in gold bullion embroidery on a dark velvet ground on the officer’s collar.

72. Lieutenant C.F. Trench, 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. It will be noticed that a gold shoulder belt is worn over the right shoulder by both British and Indian Officers in this regiment.

73. N.C.O. Instructor, 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars. Uniform blue. Note the Harp and Crown regimental badge seen on collars.

74. N.C.O. Instructor, 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars. Uniform blue. Note the Harp and Crown regimental badge seen on collars.

75. Havildar, 1st King George’s Own Sappers and Miners, Royal Engineers. Uniform scarlet tunic. The only soldier in the group wearing a badge, the Plume of the Prince of Wales, on his blue pagri.

76. N.C.O., 20th Deccan Horse, (although he might be 30th Lancers). Uniform rifle green, facings white.

77. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

78. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (Royal) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

79. N.C.O. Instructor, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

80. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (Royal) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The Crest of England arm badge in silver can be seen above his chevrons.

81. N.C.O. Fencing Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white. The regimental Death of Glory silver motto seen on his chevrons.

82. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on his chevrons as a Squadron Sergeant-Major Rough-R1der.

83. N.C.O. Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

84. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

85. N.C.O. Instructor, 14th (King’s) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Prussian Eagle badge seen on collars.

86. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

87. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

88. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

89. N.C.O. Instructor, 14th (King’s) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Prussian Eagle badge seen on collars.

90. N.C.O., 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings French grey, lace silver or
90. N.C.O., probably 6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry. Uniform blue, facing scarlet. (Error in original article).

91. N.C.O. Instructor, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress).

92. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The regimental badge, the double-headed eagle of Austria, can be seen in silver as an arm badge above his chevrons.

93. N.C.O. Instructor, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress)

94. N.C.O. Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

96. N.C.O. of Sikh Squadron, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Uniform blue, facings yellow.

97. N.C.O., 35th Scinde Horse. Uniform blue, facings white.

98. N.C.O. Instructor, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

101. N.C.O., 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

104. N.C.O., believed 12th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

105. N.C.O., 25th Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform – dark green, facings scarlet, puggri scarlet.

107. Lance Duffardur, Queens Own Corps of Guides. Uniform - drab, facings scarlet cloth. (red velvet for native officers)

109. N.C.O.. 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform drab, facings maroon.

---------------<@>---------------------

And a summary of the units along with the photo numbers:-

Commandant – 29.
Medical Officer, (I.M.S.) – 26.
Royal Engineers – 64 & 75.

British Cavalry

1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards – 71, 87, 88 and 92.
1st (Royal) Dragoons – 78 and 80.
6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons – 48, 77, 82, 84 and 86.
8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars – 73 and 74.
10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars – 56, 79 and 98.
13th Hussars – 55, 91 and 93.
14th (King’s) Hussars – 85 and 89.
15th (The King’s) Hussars - 30
17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers – 47, 81, 83 and 94.
21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers – 27.

Indian Cavalry

1st Duke of York’s Own Lancers (Skinner’s Horse) – 69.
2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse) – 12, 21, 57 and 61.
3rd Skinner’s Horse – 11, 52 and 96.
4th Cavalry -  10, 35 and 41.
6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry – 50 and 90.
7th Hariana Lancers – 15, 72 and 101.
10th Duke of Cambridge’s Own Lancers (Hodson’s Horse) – 9 and 37.
11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse) – 6 and 46.
12th Cavalry – 32 and 104.
13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse) – 5, 40 and 65.
14th Murray’s Jat Lancers – 45.
16th Cavalry – 23.
17th Cavalry – 59 and 67.
18th King George’s Own Lancers – 34 and 44.
19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse) – 14, 51 and 90.
20th Deccan Horse – 41 and 76.
22nd Sam Browne’s Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 1.
23rd Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 17.
25th Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 58 and 105.
26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry – 4 and 33.
27th Light Cavalry – 45 and 54.
28th Light Cavalry – 13 and 36.
29th Lancers (Deccan Horse) – 3, 20 and 62.
30th Lancers (Gordon’s Horse) – 25.
33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry – 18, 19 and 70.
34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse – 22 and 31.
35th Scinde Horse – 24 and 97.
36th Jacob’s Horse – 38 and 53.
38th King George’s Own Central India Horse – 16, 63 or 66, 109.
39th King George’s Own Central India Horse – 28, 39, 63 or 66.
42nd Deoli Regiment – 2 and 42.
Queens Own Corps of Guides. – 7, 68, 107.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

When I was looking at the Cavalry School listing it made me realise the one thing we hadn't considered when looking at either Staff College photograph is whether the resident medic was present.

A trawl through the newspapers brought up a piece on the Indian Medical Service in the issue of the Army and Navy Gazette dated Saturday January 7th, 1911.

"Captain R.A. Chambers has assumed officiating medical charge of the 1st Batn, 7th Gurkha Rifles and of the Indian Staff College on the departure of Captain D.G. Baker on a years furlough and study leave."

Captain Baker is a I believe Dodington George Richard Shurton Baker, then Captain in the IMS and who was promoted Major in 1913 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28765/page/7253/data.pdf

But Chambers continues to elude me - the only mentions I can find in the London Gazette just record him by his initials.

Cheers,
Peter

First name(s) Robert Alexander

Last name Chambers (1881-1926)

School / university name University Of Edinburgh

Narrative Perth Academy; First XI. MB, ChB 1904. No. 4 Coy. Q.R.V.B., Royal Scots, 1901-4, Private. Indian Medical Service September 1906, Captain September 1909; Major September 1918. Mesopotamia February 1916 and November 1917; India March 1917 and 1919. O.B.E. (Military) February 1919. Dispatches November 1918.

Original source University of Edinburgh roll of honour 1914-1919 

chrome_screenshot_1677623773011.png.5518d2910fcf42f73e2c4ee97b9b207c.png

Edited by charlie962

• Admin
48 minutes ago, PRC said:

When I was looking at the Cavalry School listing it made me realise the one thing we hadn't considered when looking at either Staff College photograph is whether the resident medic was present.

A trawl through the newspapers brought up a piece on the Indian Medical Service in the issue of the Army and Navy Gazette dated Saturday January 7th, 1911.

"Captain R.A. Chambers has assumed officiating medical charge of the 1st Batn, 7th Gurkha Rifles and of the Indian Staff College on the departure of Captain D.G. Baker on a years furlough and study leave."

A great picture from the cavalry school Peter, that has given me a lot to think about, thanks. To add a bit to @charlie962s post; From the 1911 Harts list and 1911 Indian Army List.image.png.f0632ce21038f35c228b469fda34abcb.pngimage.png.5b55b2542c5949a8c311a642f6f8fdf8.png

On 25/02/2023 at 17:32, PRC said:

As the identification of Ward as officer 20 was now in doubt, I thought I should take a look to see if this also undermined the case for Giles and Torrie.

The article is actually from the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research Vol.58 No. 235 (Autumn 1980) pages 148-159 and attempts to use the picture taken of the 1910 intake and staff at the new Cavalry school at SAUGOR to examine the wide variety of uniforms amongst the Cavalry based in India. Re-reading the above post I can see it has been used to identify units rather than individuals. For those with access to JSTOR - non-subscription access allows you to view 100 articles per month - then the article is here https://www.jstor.org/stable/44230331

Author was R.G. Harris

However for novices like myself on a steep learning curve since this thread began, I thought it might be helpful to post some of the information here. First of all I stitched back to together the photograph and the associated key - the scanning of each had split them into three parts.

1707399319_TheSaugorCavalrySchoolIndia1910.png.f3ee7dbbda18895d3bf6c639fedd09a8.png

1911226775_Groupshotoutlinedandnumbered.png.8764ca16f6f093f9a57c4cf88719ff0c.png

The picture features 109 individuals, although if I've done my reconcilation correctly it doesn't even attempt 12 of them, although it also allocates the same number twice over and there are several instances of mutual either \ or pairings.

For what it's worth, including the relevant uniform details, heres the run through of the information gleaned from the article:-

1. Indian Officer, 22nd Sam Browne’s Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

2. Jemadar, 42nd Deoli Regiment. Uniform – Dark green, facings scarlet. As an officer has brass buttons.

3. Ressaidar Indar Singh, 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Uniform Rifle green, facings white.

4. Ressaidar Hukam Singh, 26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. In this particular regiment Indian officers had silver tracing outling pockets.

5. Jemadar Jir Singh, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

6. Jemadar Kehar Singh, 11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

7. Jemadar Zardad Khan, Queens Own Corps of Guides. Service Medal for North West Frontier Actions, right breast Royal Humane Society. Uniform - drab, facings red velvet, (scarlet cloth other ranks).

9. Jemadar Nur Khan, 10th Duke of Cambridge’s Own Lancers (Hodson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet. Nur Khan wear the Indian Officers scarlet cloth shoulder pieces, gold edged, shaped as chains but worn by Indian Officers in lieu of chains.

10. Jemadar Muhammad Yusef Khan, 4th Cavalry. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

11. Jemadar Walidad Khan, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Uniform blue, facings yellow.

12. Ressaidar Suraj Singh, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Indian full dress as does Captain Sangster (61).

13. Ressaidar Malik Sher Shah Khan, 28th Light Cavalry. Uniform French grey, facings buff, lace silver.

14. Indian Officer, 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings French grey, lace silver.

15. Jemadar Gurdatt Singh, 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. It will be noticed that a gold shoulder belt is worn over the right shoulder by both British and Indian Officers in this regiment.

16. Indian Officer. 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform drab, facings maroon.

17. Indian Officer, 23rd Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

18. Jemadar Abdul Sattar Khan, 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

19. N.C.O., 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

20. N.C.O., 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Uniform Rifle green, facings white.

22. Believed NCO of the 34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse. Uniform – dark blue, facings French grey.

23. Lieutenant E.S. Vicary, 16th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

24. Lieutenant J.N. Simonds, 35th Scinde Horse. Uniform blue, facings white.

25. Captain B.C. Fellows, Student Instructor, 30th Lancers (Gordon’s Horse). Captain Fellows wears the British Officer’s Lancer uniform of rifle green with half-plastron of white.

26. Captain O.A.R. Berkeley-Hill, M.B., Indian Medical Service.

27. Lieutenant G.N. Reynolds, Instructor, 21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers. Uniform blue, Distinctive plastron/ facings of French Grey.

28. Captain A.M. Kettlewell, Staff Instructor. 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse.

29. The Commandant, Brigadier-General R. Wapshare.

30. Major P.O. Hambro, Instructor, 15th (The King’s) Hussars.

31. Captain R.W.W. Grimshaw, Adjutant and Quartermaster, 34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse. Captain Grimshaw is wearing the uniform of British Officer when not parading with his troops, in this regiment a Dragoon-style tunic of dark blue with French grey collar and cuffs.

32. Lieutenant W.R.P. Henry, 12th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

33. Lieutenant C.K. Greenway, 26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

34. Captain C.K. Howell, Student Instructor, 18th King George’s Own Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings white.

35. Lieutenant R.E. Harenc, 4th Cavalry. Lieutenant Harenc is the only officer present in undress (No.5) scarlet frock with blue collar.

36. Lieutenant R.B. Macan, 28th Light Cavalry. Uniform French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

38. Indian Officer, 36th Jacob’s Horse. Uniform blue, facings primrose. The Indian Officer has slightly more ornamentation to kurta, collar-lace all round.

39. N.C.O. 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse, (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta).

40. N.C.O., 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

41. Lieutenant C.A.C. Mackenzie, 20th Deccan Horse. Uniform rifle green, facings white or
41. N.C.O., 4th Cavalry. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. (Error in original article)

42. N.C.O., 42nd Deoli Regiment. Uniform – Dark green, facings scarlet.

44. Lieutenant F. Gwatkin, 18th King George’s Own Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings white.

45. Lieutenant D.G. Bromilow, 14th Murray’s Jat Lancers. Uniform blue, facings scarlet. Or
45. Ressaidar Mul Singh, Instructor, 27th Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. (Error in the original article).

46. Lieutenant St.J. V. Baker, 11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

47. Lieutenant D.C. Boles, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

48. Lieutenant S.J. Sassoon, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on the officer’s collar in silver, (on NCO’s as arm badge).

50. Lieutenant A.B. Porter, 6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry. Uniform blue, facing scarlet. Note collar badges worn on officers’ kurta in this regiment, the Plume of the Prince of Wales.

51. Lieutenant G.B. Howell, 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Lieutenant Howell wears the British Officer’s Lancers uniform with half plastron of French grey.

52. Lieutenant A.M. Daniels, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Lieutenant Daniels wears the British officers full dress as for regiment of horse.

53. Lieutenant M.E. Parnell, 36th Jacob’s Horse. Uniform blue, facings primrose.

54. Lieutenant V.F.L.P. Jackson, 27th Light Cavalry. Uniform  - French grey, facings buff, lace silver. British Officers of Madras Cavalry regiments did not wear the kurta for full dress but British Lancer pattern tunic, etc, of French grey with buff plastron, collar, cuffs.

55. Lieutenant J.H. Hind, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress).

56. Lieutenant J.F. Neilson, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

57. Lieutenant D.S. Davison, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Lancers full dress with half plastron of light blue.

58. Indian Officer, 25th Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform – dark green, facings scarlet, puggri scarlet.

59. thought to be Daffadar Malik Alam Sher-Khan, 17th Cavalry, Uniform blue, facings white.

61. Captain R.B. Sangster, Student Instructor, 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings light blue. Wears Indian full dress.

62. Lieutenant M.H. Jackson, 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse). Lieutenant Jackson wears the British Officer’s Lancer uniform of rifle green with full plastron of white.

63. Either Lieutenant W.A.K. Fraser, 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse, (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta) or Lieutenant G. Henderson, 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse  - see also 66.

64. Lieutenant O.E.U. Ingram, Student Instructor, 1st King George’s Own Sappers and Miners, (No.1 Company, Rurki), Royal Engineers. Uniform scarlet tunic.

65. Lieutenant F.H. Moody, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings scarlet, lace silver.

66. Either Lieutenant W.A.K. Fraser, 39th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform as for 38th Central India Horse (drab, facings maroon, British officers did not wear a dress kurta) or Lieutenant G. Henderson, 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse  - see also 63.

67. Lieutenant F.C.C. Yeats-Brown, 17th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings white.

68. Lieutenant J.F.W. Olgivie, Queens Own Corps of Guides, Cavalry. British officers wore tunic with five quadruple rows of drab silk cord hanging loose across the breast.

69.Lieutenant H. Gillies, 1st Duke of York’s Own Lancers (Skinner’s Horse). Uniform yellow, facings black velvet.

70. Lieutenant W. Kenworthy, 33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings scarlet.

71. 2nd Lieutenant E.W. H. Sprout, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The regimental badge, the double-headed eagle of Austria, can be seen in gold bullion embroidery on a dark velvet ground on the officer’s collar.

72. Lieutenant C.F. Trench, 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. It will be noticed that a gold shoulder belt is worn over the right shoulder by both British and Indian Officers in this regiment.

73. N.C.O. Instructor, 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars. Uniform blue. Note the Harp and Crown regimental badge seen on collars.

74. N.C.O. Instructor, 8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars. Uniform blue. Note the Harp and Crown regimental badge seen on collars.

75. Havildar, 1st King George’s Own Sappers and Miners, Royal Engineers. Uniform scarlet tunic. The only soldier in the group wearing a badge, the Plume of the Prince of Wales, on his blue pagri.

76. N.C.O., 20th Deccan Horse, (although he might be 30th Lancers). Uniform rifle green, facings white.

77. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

78. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (Royal) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

79. N.C.O. Instructor, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

80. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (Royal) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The Crest of England arm badge in silver can be seen above his chevrons.

81. N.C.O. Fencing Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white. The regimental Death of Glory silver motto seen on his chevrons.

82. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on his chevrons as a Squadron Sergeant-Major Rough-R1der.

83. N.C.O. Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

84. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

85. N.C.O. Instructor, 14th (King’s) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Prussian Eagle badge seen on collars.

86. N.C.O. Instructor, 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons. Uniform scarlet, facings primrose. The regimental badge the Castle of Inniskilling can be seen on NCO’s as arm badge.

87. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

88. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

89. N.C.O. Instructor, 14th (King’s) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Prussian Eagle badge seen on collars.

90. N.C.O., 19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse). Uniform blue, facings French grey, lace silver or
90. N.C.O., probably 6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry. Uniform blue, facing scarlet. (Error in original article).

91. N.C.O. Instructor, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress).

92. N.C.O. Instructor, 1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards. Uniform scarlet, facings blue. The regimental badge, the double-headed eagle of Austria, can be seen in silver as an arm badge above his chevrons.

93. N.C.O. Instructor, 13th Hussars. Uniform blue, collars buff. (No collar badges in full dress)

94. N.C.O. Instructor, 17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers. Uniform blue, plastron facings and plume white.

96. N.C.O. of Sikh Squadron, 3rd Skinner’s Horse, Uniform blue, facings yellow.

97. N.C.O., 35th Scinde Horse. Uniform blue, facings white.

98. N.C.O. Instructor, 10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars. Uniform blue. The Plume of the Prince of Wales seen on the collars)

101. N.C.O., 7th Hariana Lancers. Uniform scarlet, facings blue.

104. N.C.O., believed 12th Cavalry. Uniform blue, facings blue.

105. N.C.O., 25th Cavalry (Frontier Force). Uniform – dark green, facings scarlet, puggri scarlet.

107. Lance Duffardur, Queens Own Corps of Guides. Uniform - drab, facings scarlet cloth. (red velvet for native officers)

109. N.C.O.. 38th King George’s Own Central India Horse. Uniform drab, facings maroon.

---------------<@>---------------------

And a summary of the units along with the photo numbers:-

Commandant – 29.
Medical Officer, (I.M.S.) – 26.
Royal Engineers – 64 & 75.

British Cavalry

1st (King’s) Dragoon Guards – 71, 87, 88 and 92.
1st (Royal) Dragoons – 78 and 80.
6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons – 48, 77, 82, 84 and 86.
8th (King’s Royal Irish) Hussars – 73 and 74.
10th (Prince of Wales’s Own Royal) Hussars – 56, 79 and 98.
13th Hussars – 55, 91 and 93.
14th (King’s) Hussars – 85 and 89.
15th (The King’s) Hussars - 30
17th (Duke of Cambridge’s Own) Lancers – 47, 81, 83 and 94.
21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers – 27.

Indian Cavalry

1st Duke of York’s Own Lancers (Skinner’s Horse) – 69.
2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse) – 12, 21, 57 and 61.
3rd Skinner’s Horse – 11, 52 and 96.
4th Cavalry -  10, 35 and 41.
6th King Edward’s Own Cavalry – 50 and 90.
7th Hariana Lancers – 15, 72 and 101.
10th Duke of Cambridge’s Own Lancers (Hodson’s Horse) – 9 and 37.
11th King Edward’s Own Lancers (Probyn Horse) – 6 and 46.
12th Cavalry – 32 and 104.
13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse) – 5, 40 and 65.
14th Murray’s Jat Lancers – 45.
16th Cavalry – 23.
17th Cavalry – 59 and 67.
18th King George’s Own Lancers – 34 and 44.
19th Lancers (Fane’s Horse) – 14, 51 and 90.
20th Deccan Horse – 41 and 76.
22nd Sam Browne’s Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 1.
23rd Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 17.
25th Cavalry (Frontier Force) – 58 and 105.
26th King George’s Own Light Cavalry – 4 and 33.
27th Light Cavalry – 45 and 54.
28th Light Cavalry – 13 and 36.
29th Lancers (Deccan Horse) – 3, 20 and 62.
30th Lancers (Gordon’s Horse) – 25.
33rd Oueen’s Own Light Cavalry – 18, 19 and 70.
34th Prince Albert Victor’s Own Poona Horse – 22 and 31.
35th Scinde Horse – 24 and 97.
36th Jacob’s Horse – 38 and 53.
38th King George’s Own Central India Horse – 16, 63 or 66, 109.
39th King George’s Own Central India Horse – 28, 39, 63 or 66.
42nd Deoli Regiment – 2 and 42.
Queens Own Corps of Guides. – 7, 68, 107.

Cheers,
Peter

That’s a monumental work you’ve done there Peter, thank you for taking the time and trouble to lay it out in such a comprehensive and accessible way.  R G Harris was a well respected historian in his day and specialised in the British Indian Army and Irish Regiments.  Sadly he is rather forgotten now outside of the narrow world of those of us who study those areas.  There seem few like him today.