Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph- Staff College Quetta 1911

mrfrank

Took a punt this week and bought this photo on EBay. It was described as ‘Officer Group, Possibly India’. 

When received, found the lower mount is actually annotated in pencil ‘Staff College, Quetta’ with the important addition of the year - 1911.

Looks like Douglas Haig 55 seated to centre and found an on-line reference to Haig’s correspondence with Kiggell and a letter written in October 1911 regarding his inspection of the Staff College, Quetta so seems likely occasion for the photo. 

As we look at the photo, to the left of Haig would I presume be the Staff College Commandant, Temp Brig-Gen Walter Pipon Braithwaite 54.
The front row will likely be made up of other accompanying VIPs and the Staff College instructors who, per the relevant Army List should be:

Colonels:
Henry Dowrish Drake, RM Artillery - 56

George McKenzie Franks, Royal Artillery - 58

Matthew Perceval Buckle , RWKR - 51

Alexander Montagu Spears Elsmie, 56th Punjab Rifles - 50

Theodore Fraser, RE - 57

George de Symons Barrow, 4th Cavalry - 52

The Officer in charge of ‘Training & Staff Duties’ on the India Command HQ Staff was Col John Emerson Wharton Headlam DSO and the chap seated 4th in from the left seems a good match for him 53
Any suggestions as to who else is or may be on that front row will be gratefully accepted!

John Charteris - 60

There are 49 individuals standing behind the seated front row with lots of uniform variations on display and medals, There are 51 students named in the AL as being SC Quetta students and I’ll post their names/regiments tomorrow for future searching. 
Cheers,

Mike 

703B8B17-56F7-4962-B27F-54ECF3615598.jpeg

Edited by mrfrank

……. and what appears to be a squiggle to the lower mount is in fact the initials ‘HCD’ signifying the probable initial owner of the photo. Namely, Henry Clare Duncan, 1st Battalion, 9th Gurkha Rifles who is in the 3rd row from the front, 4th in from the right. 

Edited by mrfrank

The names of the students [all Captain rank] present at the Staff College, Quetta at the time the photograph was taken, with positions in the photograph as per PRC’s numbering system in the schematic in post #19:

James Farquhar, 19th Battery, RFA -

Francis William Loveday, 75th Company, RGA - 26 

Francis Hamilton Moore, 2nd Berkshire - 19

Harold Hereward Hughes-Hallett, 2nd North Staffs - 40

Gerald Farrell Boyd DSO, 2nd Leinster - 34

John Arthur Muirhead, 1st Duke of York's Own Lancers (Skinner's Horse) - 25 probably 

Harold Lewis, 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) - 35

Cyril Norman MacMullen, 15th Ludhiana Sikhs - 45

John Cecil Macrae, 19th Punjabis - 12

Laurence Balfour Cloete, 37th Dogras - 36

John Harvey de Wiederhold Carruthers, 1st Bn 39th Garwhal Rifles - 27

Arthur William Hamilton May Moens, 52nd Sikhs (F.F.) - 15

Walter Lloyd Sinclair Meiklejohn, 106th Hazara Pioneers - 28

Arthur Charles Samuel Burdon Ellis, 121st Pioneers - 47 probably 

George Hutchison, 122nd Rajputana Infantry - 42

Edgar Claude Kensington, 130th Prince of Wales' Own Baluchis - 43

Basil Edwin Crockett, 17th Lancers - 4

Walter Mervyn St George Kirke, 59th Company, RGA - 44

Francis Duncan Irvine, 2nd Queen's Own Sappers & Miners - 9

Francis John Joslin, 2nd Royal West Kent Regiment - 30

Thomas George Jameson Torrie, 27th Light Cavalry - 41

Charles Richard Foster Seymour, 13th Rajputs - 16??

William Campbell Little, 1st Bn 6th Gurkha Rifles

Henry Clare Duncan, 1st Bn 9th Gurkha Rifles - 29

Eric Fairweather Harrison, Royal Australian Garrison Artillery - 46

Edited by mrfrank

Maj Gilbert Robert Cassells, 35th Sikhs - 59 probably 

Maj Alexander Bertram Lindsay, 2nd Gurkha Rifles (Sirmoor Rifles)

Bertie Drew Fisher, 17th Lancers - 49

Henry Bingham Whistler Smith-Rewse, RFA   -  11

Alleyn Charles Rothwell Greene, RGA - 23 

Arthur Richard Careless Sanders, RE - 5

Clarence Reginald MacDonald, Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 13 

Francis Harvey Stapleton, Ox & Buck Light Infantry - 48

Henry Charles Swinburne Ward, 2nd Lancers - 31

Claud Hamilton Griffith Black, 34th Horse - 39 possibly 

Edward Douglas Giles, 35th Horse - 8

Charles Kirkpatrick, Corps of Guides - 14

James Whitehead, 1st Brahmans - 6

Frank Etheridge, 7th Rajputs - 38  

Cuthbert Colpoys Cunningham, 12th Pioneers - 33 probably 

Frank Eustice George Talbot, 14th Sikhs - 22

James Charles McKenna, 16th Rajputs - 10

Herbert Claude McWatters, 22nd Punjabis - 24?

John Cavendish Freeland, 35th Sikhs - 7?

Walter Edward Wilson-Johnston, 36th Sikhs - 2?

Richard Hope Waller, 38th Dogras - 21

Henry St George Murray McRae, 45th Sikhs - 37?

Guilford Edgar Charlton Underhill, 62nd Punjabis - 18

Charles McGregor Withers, 87th Punjabis - 32 possibly 

Thomas Anselan Pollok-Morris, Highland Light Infantry - 1 

Vire Gordon Menzies, 97th Infantry - 17

Edited by mrfrank

Dear Mike,

Thanks for sharing this super Quetta Staff College group with us all! I thought it would be easy to find the solitary Australian Gunner, but no...

They would all be obliged to put their gala uniforms away, three years later...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

2 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Francis John Joslin, 2nd Royal West Kent Regiment

The Jersey island wiki notes "

The son of John James Joslin and Mary Ann Sarah, nee Cabot, Francis John Joslin was born in Almorah Crescent on 2 September 1874. Educated at Victoria College 1886-92, he entered the Army throught the Militia, and obtained a commission in the Royal West Kent Regiment in 1895.

He served through the South African War, being present at the actions of Biddulphsberg and Wittenbergen. He was mentioned in despatches, and obtained the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's with two. He was Adjutant of his Battalion 1904-7.

He travelled on secret service in the interior of China, and received the thanks of the War Office for his work. He then passed through the Staff College, Quetta, joined the Headquarters' Staff, and was Brigade-Major to General Braithwaite, another Old Victorian, at the great Durbar at Delhi.

He had travelled extensively, and was well-known as a writer on military subjects. In the First World War he was Commandant on Lines of Communication at Rouen; but in February 1915 be rejoined his regiment, which had suffered severely, and was Second in Command of his Battalion.

On 17 April he led the assault which captured Hill 60 near Ypres, but on the following morning he was killed during a German counter-attack..
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Francis_John_Joslin

As well as a more extensive obituary for a contemporary newspaper, the same source has a picture of him wearing the ribbons for what I believe are the QSA, KSA and possibly the 1911 Delhi Durbar. Looking at the Quetta Staff College picture my best guess as to the matching individual is this man.

1426797066_FrancisJoslinpossiblematchpanelv1.png.0a168f3f0c011f2c88270d155d72064e.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

Cheers,
Peter

3 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Harold Hereward Hughes-Hallett, 2nd North Staffs

Wikipedia has an image captioned Officers of the 2nd Battalion The Prince of Wales (North Staffordshire Regiment) outside the officers mess Multan, India 1908. One of the officers listed as being present is Captain H.H. Hughes-Hallett. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_Staffordshire_Regiment_Officers.jpg

Much lower degree of confidence in finding in match in the 1911 Quetta Staff College picture - in the end went with white collar, collar badges that probably include the Prince of Wales feathers, medals worn, shape and size of ears and hair-parting.

1636448652_HughHughes-Hallettpossiblematchpanrlv1.png.0643b41a0363c6dc9f484b07ae80434c.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

Cheers,
Peter

Great stuff Peter.
Definitely agree with your match for Capt Joslin - can see the RWKR collar badges with the aid of a glass.

There’s no mistaking the ear shape on the identification for Hughes-Hallett either.

I’ve identified a handful of others so will start adding the photo locations after the names this evening.

Gerald Farrell Boyd DSO, 2nd Leinster

Had had his own thread on the forum with pictures - do you have any candidate for him identified as yet?

Cheers,
Peter

Yes, believe Captain Boyd is in the 1st standing row, 4th from left. 
DSO, DCM, QM+3 clasps, KM+2 clasps as well as Leinster collar badges visible. 

Edited by mrfrank

4 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Henry Bingham Whistler Smith-Rewse, RFA

The Imperial War Museum has a picture of him, (centre in the panel below). https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205388870

There is one goodish match, (left) but I can't entirely discount a second individual, (right).

1419143009_HenrySmithRewsepossiblematchpanel1.png.e698677416c7a328db5cbae95d5a826d.png

Cheers,
Peter

6 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Richard Hope Waller, 38th Dogras

The Imperial War Museum has a picture of Captain Richard Hope Waller, (killed in East Africa as a Staff Officer, 3rd November 1914), which from the cropping I suspect came from this staff college picture. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205390288

1679297178_RichardHopeWallerpanelv1.png.26afbe9cee14dee6a7ffbe72a551e7d2.png

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Yes, believe Captain Boyd is in the 1st standing row, 4th from left. 
DSO, DCM, QM+3 clasps, KM+2 clasps as well as Leinster collar badges visible. 

So this individual along with a late Great War \ post Great War picture from the linked thread.

477434186_GeraldBoydpanel1.png.172d613c457821defee260aad827f33a.png

Cheers,
Peter

On 24/01/2023 at 18:52, mrfrank said:

Matthew Percival Buckle , RWKR (seated 2nd from left possible match)

Not a possible match, that's definitely Buckle (he was a substantive Major).  He was killed as Acting CO of 1/QORWK at Neuve Chapelle, 27th October 1914.  The photo is a great find.

Big thank you for all the information and help thus far. I’m annotating the lists as they’re identified on the photo.

Francis Hamilton Moore must be 4th Row 1st right. Berks Regt collar badges visible and QM + 3, KM +2.

Edited by mrfrank

Harold Lewis of the 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) was killed in action with 20th Manchesters on 1st July 1916. I can only find a side on image that isn’t much help. Any ideas on an ident from the regimental  uniform? He was awarded the NW Frontier of India 1908 medal plus clasp for operations in the Zakka Khel country. 

@mrfrank

As they are not all standing in obvious rows, I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of numbering them.

1461985559_QuettaStaffCollege1911numbered.png.250a0e9e5ca72dc7fc2d6331c6b31c50.png

I wasn't quite sure which ones you were including in the third row, so haven't been able to place all the individuals you've shown in your list. The one's I think I can are:-

11: Probably Henry Bingham Whistler Smith-Rewse, RFA
19: Francis Hamilton Moore, 2nd Berkshire
21: Richard Hope Waller, 38th Dogras
30: Francis John Joslin, 2nd Royal West Kent Regiment
34: Gerald Farrell Boyd DSO, 2nd Leinster
40: Harold Hereward Hughes-Hallett, 2nd North Staffs
51: Matthew Percival Buckle , RWKR

If Haig is 56, is it likely 57 is his ADC and 55 is the school commandant?

Cheers,
Peter

Agree with your numbering scheme Peter as it’s a far less confusing way of identifying them. One thing I’d point out though is that  Haig is 55 per your graphic. 

Edited by mrfrank

In which case I wonder if @FROGSMILE can assist or point us in the right direction to get an identification of the Indian Army units officers 8 and 31 come from?

531627751_Officers8and31panel.png.508a328de1ea9118bfdb36f685f754ca.png

Cheers,
Peter

I think Cyril Norman MacMullen, 15th Ludhiana Sikhs is probably #45 from comparison with on-line 1913 group photo of British & Sikh officers. 
Also medal combination just visible: 
N-W Frontier of India 1897-98 - Attack and capture of the Tanga Pass - medal with clasp. 
Tibet 1903-4 medal.

Thomas Anselan Pollock-Morris is #1……..Uniform plus QM +5 clasps, KM +2 visible

Edited by mrfrank

30 minutes ago, PRC said:

In which case I wonder if @FROGSMILE can assist or point us in the right direction to get an identification of the Indian Army units officers 8 and 31 come from?

531627751_Officers8and31panel.png.508a328de1ea9118bfdb36f685f754ca.png

Cheers,
Peter

I’ll have a look through my Indian reference works tomorrow Peter and see what clues there might be.  

Walter Mervyn St George Kirke has quite a few images available on line, but most are from later in life. The two I've gone for are the ones that were most closest to the 1911 date - one on the left from the National Portrait Gallery, dated 1919, and one from a family tree on the right that looks to be pre-war army service. Trouble is I can't see a clear candidate for him amongst the artillery officers present in the Quetta college picture.

2071474642_WalterMervynStGeorgeKirkepanelv1.png.f7a590bbbb24ff03164d78d47f6ecc56.png

Image sources https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw96294/Sir-Walter-Mervyn-St-George-Kirke?LinkID=mp56906&role=sit&rNo=0
and https://www.wikitree.com/photo/jpg/Kirke-89

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owner).

Cheers,
Peter

10 minutes ago, PRC said:

Walter Mervyn St George Kirke has quite a few images available on line, but most are from later in life. The two I've gone for are the ones that were most closest to the 1911 date - one on the left from the National Portrait Gallery, dated 1919, and one from a family tree on the right that looks to be pre-war army service. Trouble is I can't see a clear candidate for him amongst the artillery officers present in the Quetta college picture.

2071474642_WalterMervynStGeorgeKirkepanelv1.png.f7a590bbbb24ff03164d78d47f6ecc56.png

Image sources https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw96294/Sir-Walter-Mervyn-St-George-Kirke?LinkID=mp56906&role=sit&rNo=0
and https://www.wikitree.com/photo/jpg/Kirke-89

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owner).

Cheers,
Peter

Possibly #5 a certain resemblance and made difficult to match as he’s looking to the side? Right medal combination visible - NW Frontier Waziristan, 1901-2  - medal with clasp. 
As I’m no expert on this… any supporting clues as to the cross belt/sash he’s wearing?

Edited by mrfrank