Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph- Staff College Quetta 1911

mrfrank

• Admin
10 minutes ago, RHLV said:

Don't have the qualifications to help, but have been following along since the beginning of this adventure. Congratulations to all of you. Your knowledge is amazing and your results are fabulous. Thanks you for an interesting and incredible journey to India before the war.:)

Rich

Hello Rich, thank you for your words. I for one have learnt a lot by contributing to this thread as have others involved. Please join in on any thread you see and that you are interested in, by joining in you will enjoy learning, this is not school. Sometimes other members  responses will put you in your place so to speak but that is  in my mind what the Forum is all about. I have made some horrendous blunders, however admit to them, realise them and continue. Be courteous, ask questions and enjoy. I am listed as 'Lt Colonel' but that means nothing other than the amount of posts I have made. I am learning and enjoying all the time, with the help of the members of the Forum, to whom I thank. I do not have the qualifications either but Please join in some more. With my best wishes, Bob.

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2023 at 08:58, Old Owl said:

35 is indeed Harold Lewis--the numbers look more like 55 on my screen or could it be my eyes :rolleyes: Yes, I think it is my eyes!!

I have his medals and so researched him many years ago.

Robert

Hi

I have been researching the Military Service of the Lewis Family. Especially Harold Lewis.

I have attached two pictures of Harold’s brothers both KIA

Major Vernon Lewis  KIA Boer War 27th.02.1900 & Lt Col Donald Swain Lewis RFC - D.S.O KIA 1916

PS can you please send a copy of Harold Lewis Medals?

Donald Swain Lewis.jpg

Vernon Lewis Crop.jpg

4 hours ago, Phil Baker said:

Hi @Phil Baker and welcome to the forum.

You can definately see a family resemblance - and a fantastic picture of Vernon :)

299080451_HaroldLewispossiblematchesv2.png.7b560de3397f8ae4a965069beabb5f51.png

No new IP was created in the above image and all image rights remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

5 hours ago, Phil Baker said:

Hi

I have been researching the Military Service of the Lewis Family. Especially Harold Lewis.

Major Vernon Lewis  KIA Boer War 27th.02.1900 & Lt Col Donald Swain Lewis RFC - D.S.O KIA 1916

Donald Swain Lewis.jpg

Vernon Lewis Crop.jpg

A super rare view of the practice of officers wearing shoulder titles on khaki drill uniform.  The simple, early pattern SF is not often seen.  Thank you for posting.

IMG_8530.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 hours ago, Phil Baker said:

Hi

Donald Swain Lewis.jpg

Vernon Lewis Crop.jpg

Hello Phil,

Welcome to the Forum,

Also thank you for posting the photos of Harold's brothers--I had realised that one was killed in WW1 but had not picked up on the Boer War chap--do you have their medals? Do you have any original photos of Harold?

What is your interest in Harold? If you let me have an email address (via a PM) then I can send you an image of his medals.

Best, Robert

/

• 9 months later...
On 22/02/2023 at 00:02, PRC said:

On the 1910 picture because of the way Officer 46 is leaning forward, I believe the head of the man sitting on the ground in front of him may well obscure the area of his chest where a medal might be. It also unfortunately obscures the piping down the button hole edge of his jacket, which might also have been a factor. The tilt of the head also for me complicates the facial comparison. I think for me it would come under the category possible rather than probable.:)

183643994_CharlesRichardFosterSeymourpanelv1.png.214f98a034207cf7d032022af7066087.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

Cheers,
Peter

I am writing a book containing, among other things, a discussion of Seymour's religious and philosophical views. There are very few photographs of him, but I believe that both the 1910 and 1911 photos discussed on this thread are indeed of him. It would be marvellous to be able to reproduce one or both of these images (either the larger original photograph(s), or a cut out of the images believed to be of Col. Seymour.

However, I am not clear who owns the photographs, or how to seek permission to reproduce them if possible. If the owner(s), or those with knowledge of the copyright / reproduction status of the photographs, could let me know the situation, I'd be very grateful. Apologies if this obvious to other forum members - I am not an expert on military history.

Best wishes

James North

Hello James,

As it happens I have done a fair amount of research on the life and times of Lieut-Col C. R. F. Seymour, Indian Army, late Hampshire Regiment.

I presume you are familiar with "20th Century Magic and the old religion" by Alan Richardson?

If not you can ready a copy here:

https://archive.org/details/20-c-magic-dion-fortune

Happy to swap notes if you wish - drop me a message via the forum.

Kind regards,

Matthew

4 hours ago, JNorth2024 said:

However, I am not clear who owns the photographs, or how to seek permission to reproduce them if possible.

Hi @JNorth2024 and welcome to the forum :)

As you can see from the disclaimer I do not claim to have created any new intellectual property and so my understanding is that I have no claim to copyright \ image right protection. The underlying images were kindly provided by forum member @mrfrank and so if there are any image rights they would reside with them, (unless the images have been sold on).

They are a regular visitor to the forum so hopefully will either reply here soon or drop you a private message via the forums' messaging system.

BTW have you come across any more pictures of him online - would be great to be able to increase the confidence level that the right man has been identified.

Cheers,
Peter

8 minutes ago, PRC said:

Hi @JNorth2024 and welcome to the forum :)

As you can see from the disclaimer I do not claim to have created any new intellectual property and so my understanding is that I have no claim to copyright \ image right protection. The underlying images were kindly provided by forum member @mrfrank and so if there are any image rights they would reside with them, (unless the images have been sold on).

They are a regular visitor to the forum so hopefully will either reply here soon or drop you a private message via the forums' messaging system.

BTW have you come across any more pictures of him online - would be great to be able to increase the confidence level that the right man has been identified.

Cheers,
Peter

PM sent Matthew 

9 hours ago, mrfrank said:

PM sent Matthew 

Hi,

If if you meant to send me a pm I have not received it but I think you might have meant @JNorth2024

Kind regards,

Matthew

I did indeed….sorry Matthew!
PM was indeed sent to James regarding the Quetta group photographs.