Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph- Staff College Quetta 1911

mrfrank

On 12/02/2023 at 22:33, Bob Davies said:

On the 1911 we have the signature H E Braine. Lower edge of border in the middle ish. From the July 1910 Indian Army List his name is mentioned as a student,  Royal Munster Fusiliers.

On 12/02/2023 at 22:50, FROGSMILE said:

Bob, officer #38 in 1910 is the Royal Munster Fusiliers we seek.  The hackle in his Wolseley helmet white over green on left side.  Lancashire Fusiliers would be a yellow hackle same side with a square flash (patch).

Gentlemen - I'm slightly confused. Our Royal Munster Fusilier should be Captain Herbert Edmund Reginald Rubens Braine, admitted 1909 and graduated 1911, so will only be on the earlier picture.

Officer 19 looks like a good match for a man on the 1911 picture, so that would seem to rule him out.

818217105_Officer36comparisonpanelv1.png.866e6f36db69942ab71003c12730f637.png

And Officer 38 on the 1910 picture should be our Royal Marine Artillery Lieutenant-Colonel, Henry Dowrish Drake.

901656093_HenryDowrishDrakepanelv1.png.ddab1708e282595f046f7586c1cd4f92.png

So are we interested in the Officer holding the Wolseley Helmet and standing behind the right shoulder, (left as we look at it), of Lt.-Col Drake - Officer 24?
(I've not been able to find any pictures of Herbert Braine unfortunately to aid with the identification).

176963747_QuettaStaffCollege19101911sourcedGWFownerJAH1979Croppedandtidiedandnumbered.png.993b972fb049b3e59725476af1d80d80.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

And BTW - please do keep posting details that you come across. I'm sure they will be of interests to @mrfrank and @JAH1979 and others following the thread, and I'll try to incorporate what I can into the next summary.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

34 minutes ago, PRC said:

Gentlemen - I'm slightly confused. Our Royal Munster Fusilier should be Captain Herbert Edmund Reginald Rubens Braine, admitted 1909 and graduated 1911, so will only be on the earlier picture.

Officer 19 looks like a good match for a man on the 1911 picture, so that would seem to rule him out.

818217105_Officer36comparisonpanelv1.png.866e6f36db69942ab71003c12730f637.png

And Officer 38 on the 1910 picture should be our Royal Marine Artillery Lieutenant-Colonel, Henry Dowrish Drake.

901656093_HenryDowrishDrakepanelv1.png.ddab1708e282595f046f7586c1cd4f92.png

So are we interested in the Officer holding the Wolseley Helmet and standing behind the right shoulder, (left as we look at it), of Lt.-Col Drake - Officer 24?
(I've not been able to find any pictures of Herbert Braine unfortunately to aid with the identification).

176963747_QuettaStaffCollege19101911sourcedGWFownerJAH1979Croppedandtidiedandnumbered.png.993b972fb049b3e59725476af1d80d80.png

(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

And BTW - please do keep posting details that you come across. I'm sure they will be of interests to @mrfrank and @JAH1979 and others following the thread, and I'll try to incorporate what I can into the next summary.

Cheers,
Peter

Sorry Peter, I misread a fragment of the photo, the fusilier officer is #24, he has obvious grenade collar badges, the dark facings of a regiment with Royal appellation, and he holds in his hands a white Wolseley helmet featuring a cut feather hackle (plume), and a square patch that probably bears the abbreviated regimental title.

The other, seemingly fusilier officer, is #10, although his collar badges are unusually large** and I’m wondering if he might be from an Indian Grenadier regiment.

** fusilier regiments officers collar badges were of a standard size and outline. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Sorry Peter, I misread a fragment of the photo, the fusilier officer is #24, he has obvious grenade collar badges, the dark facings of a regiment with Royal appellation, and he holds in his hands a white Wolseley helmet featuring a cut feather hackle (plume), and a square patch that probably bears the abbreviated regimental title.

Not a problem - glad to get there in the end.

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The other, seemingly fusilier officer, is #10, although his collar badges are unusually large** and I’m wondering if he might be from an Indian Grenadier regiment.

The 1909 intake /1911 graduates included Captain Hugh Hill, M.V.O., Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Two images, one as a civilian, from his webpage on Buckinghamshire Remembers. He was stated to have been killed instantaneously while inspecting front-line trenches at Vermilles. https://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/casualties/m3756.html

Agra 1905 sourced from a photo album held by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Museum. https://media.theogilbymuster.com/storage/v1/file/0x060a2b340101010201010f1213a6166d5e70010253890580998200224801D76D?sig=Y8lVWqAhiHMX2opvREZ_02YF9jfjvnshvqp-8DpWsOk&d=1&et=1676394417

Drawing of Lieutenant-Colonel Hugh Hill, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who died in France 10th September 1916 from Lives of the First World War https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/1875072

568510132_HughHillpanelv1.png.ceee7ced43a01796579b1d34bbfb431f.png

I believe this is how a contemporary medal of a Member of the Victorian Order would have looked.

1887919235_the-royal-victorian-order-m-v-o-member-s-5th-class-breast-badge_20140_pic2_size4sourcedcoldstreammilitaryantiques.jpg.af26a2222ddfe958fbc5ab9898ec7897.jpg

Source

https://www.coldstreammilitaryantiques.com/en-GB/import---medals/the-royal-victorian-order-m-v-o-member-s-5th-class-breast-badge/prod_20140#.Y-twYvjP2po

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

1 hour ago, PRC said:

Not a problem - glad to get there in the end.

The 1909 intake /1911 graduates included Captain Hugh Hill, M.V.O., Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Two images, one as a civilian, from his webpage on Buckinghamshire Remembers. He was stated to have been killed instantaneously while inspecting front-line trenches at Vermilles. https://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/casualties/m3756.html

Agra 1905 sourced from a photo album held by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Museum. https://media.theogilbymuster.com/storage/v1/file/0x060a2b340101010201010f1213a6166d5e70010253890580998200224801D76D?sig=Y8lVWqAhiHMX2opvREZ_02YF9jfjvnshvqp-8DpWsOk&d=1&et=1676394417

Drawing of Lieutenant-Colonel Hugh Hill, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who died in France 10th September 1916 from Lives of the First World War https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/1875072

568510132_HughHillpanelv1.png.ceee7ced43a01796579b1d34bbfb431f.png

I believe this is how a contemporary medal of a Member of the Victorian Order would have looked.

1887919235_the-royal-victorian-order-m-v-o-member-s-5th-class-breast-badge_20140_pic2_size4sourcedcoldstreammilitaryantiques.jpg.af26a2222ddfe958fbc5ab9898ec7897.jpg

Source

https://www.coldstreammilitaryantiques.com/en-GB/import---medals/the-royal-victorian-order-m-v-o-member-s-5th-class-breast-badge/prod_20140#.Y-twYvjP2po

Cheers,
Peter

Well done yet again Peter.  I believe you have both issues solved.  RWF makes sense for a larger looking badge because they were the only fusilier regiment to wear plain, silver bullion, full dress collar badges of the exact RA pattern from which they originated.  All the other regiments had emblems on the ball of the grenade apart from the Lancashire Fusiliers whose grenade was also plain but in gold bullion and so not with quite the same stark appearance, especially as facings were white.

The MVO seems to match the shape of the medal in the photo perfectly.

uniformology image with permission.

8EDBEEF9-B69B-4856-8314-7ECA512E2E35.jpeg

AB24963F-7711-413A-9826-CD8386412F21.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

** fusilier regiments officers collar badges were of a standard size and outline. 

Agree that RMF officer (HERR Braine) is definitely #24 on the 1910 image. Medal entitlement QM + 4 clasps and India GS Medal with clasp  (Mohmand 1908). 

3 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

Agree that RMF officer (HERR Braine) is definitely #24 on the 1910 image. Medal entitlement QM + 4 clasps and India GS Medal with clasp  (Mohmand 1908). 

Excellent!  That’s both fusilier officers solved then. 

4 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Here we have Brigadier General GR Cassels with one hell of an array of medals. Hats off to you Sir. It is from an auction site; link;https://spink.com/lot/19001000543

On 06/02/2023 at 22:43, mrfrank said:

Suspect #59 is Major Gilbert Robert Cassells, 35th Sikhs. One of only two students of Major rank on the student roll (perhaps why he is promoted to the front row) and appears to be wearing the Egyptian Medal & India Medal+3 clasps (that fits for him) as well as one other medal. 

Our identification of him as Officer 59 in the 1911 picture came previously from his rank, prominence in the picture and the medals on display. In my first high speed run through I'd discounted the spink com picture as this seemed to be him considerably older and so key features could have changed - the source itself doesn't date the picture. Perhaps I was too hasty. I can see points in common but I'm not sure it supports or rules out the original identification - what does the panel think:)

215721139_GilbertCasselspanelv1.png.fe31544a29c214af389a4215badea829.png

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

24 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

I’d say that’s him Peter 

Yes I think so too.  It seems he was in a Sikh regiment.

• Admin
43 minutes ago, PRC said:

what does the panel think:)

I think you have him Peter! Here are his details courtesy of Fold 3, seems he was Worcesters in his earlier days. Then to the Sikhs..image.png.1504345855b3826205a885f2310c7e15.png

26 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I think you have him Peter! Here are his details courtesy of Fold 3, seems he was Worcesters in his earlier days. Then to the Sikhs..image.png.1504345855b3826205a885f2310c7e15.png

Interesting that his posting was old school style to the Indian Staff Corps.  Apparently only a year after the ISC was formed (by merging the three presidency corps), postings were for the first time changed to be direct to regiments.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
53 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting that his posting was old school style to the Indian Staff Corps.  Apparently only a year after the ISC was formed (by merging the three presidency corps), postings were for the first time changed to be direct to regiments.

Thanks for pointing this out FROGSMILE, there is more to this than one thinks. Well it is a huge army and things do change over time. I will have a delve and see what I discover. A number of these Officers have similar notes, a common one is 'Unatt. (date) Ind. S.C. (date)'  Similar to this one, page 9 of this topic; image.png.da2809ff9ba2083aef3a6ffb48bfbc68.png

57 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks for pointing this out FROGSMILE, there is more to this than one thinks. Well it is a huge army and things do change over time. I will have a delve and see what I discover. A number of these Officers have similar notes, a common one is 'Unatt. (date) Ind. S.C. (date)'  Similar to this one, page 9 of this topic; image.png.da2809ff9ba2083aef3a6ffb48bfbc68.png

Unattached means he’s not yet been allocated to a permanent Indian Army regiment, Bob.  Sometimes an officer with prior experience in an Imperial regiment would be posted to the [edit] ISC, but then immediately attached to an HQ as a staff officer.  He’s then administered via a protocol called the ‘Unattached List’.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Unattached means he’s not yet been allocated to a permanent Indian Army regiment, Bob.  Sometimes an officer with prior experience in an Imperial regiment would be posted to the ISB, but then immediately attached to an HQ as a staff officer.

Thanks. Do you mean ISB = Imperial Service Brigade? PS; I have my reading sorted now I am discovering what was happening before these times, prior to the Indian mutiny/rebellion 1857. Very interesting, there is a lot I never really knew about, just a basic knowledge from school, Clive Of India  and all. Thanks for the pointer.

Edited by Bob Davies

24 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks. Do you mean ISB = Imperial Service Brigade? PS; I have my reading sorted now I am discovering what was happening before these times, prior to the Indian mutiny/rebellion 1857. Very interesting, there is a lot I never really knew about, just a basic knowledge from school, Clive Of India  and all. Thanks for the pointer.

Typo Bob, I meant ISC.  Indian Staff Corps.

I agree that the evolution of the British-Indian army is interesting and complex. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 10/02/2023 at 18:28, FROGSMILE said:

Incidentally we must be careful with the two lancer officers distinguished with white plastron.  One is clearly 17th Lancers (Imperial), but the other might well be 32nd Lancers (Indian).  Their white faced dark blue uniforms were similar, but pouch belts different (prickers for 17th, whistle for 32nd plus a central dividing light).  I enclose two images of a 32nd Lancers British officer.  Griffith apparently attended the staff college at Quetta over the same span as our student lists.

Captain John Gwynne Griffith, 32nd Lancers, was a 1909 entrant and a 1911 graduate.

Major John Gwynne Griffith, 32nd Lancers and staff of the 9th Cavalry Brigade, died on the 24th May 1915, aged 40, and is buried in Ypres Town Cemetery. He was the son of Col. J. G. E. Griffith (Indian Staff Corps) and Mrs. Griffith; husband of F. E. Griffith, of 29, Park Place, Cheltenham. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/446255/john-gwynne-griffith/

From the Dulwich College Great War Fallen website, which also has the picture posted by Frogsmile.

Born in Bombay on June 23rd 1874, John was the third son of J.G.E. Griffith, a Colonel in the Indian Staff Corps, and his wife, Fanny. He joined Dulwich in 1885, at the same time as his elder brother Henry; both Griffith brothers were boarders in Elm Lawn and they were both at the College for two years, leaving in 1887. After his time at Dulwich John went into the military, at first joining the South Wales Borderers. By November 1894 he was in India, where he took a commission in the Durham Light Infantry, being based at Poona. Two years later he was transferred to the Indian Army, and posted to the Bombay Lancers, with whom he held many positions, starting with plague duty in Bombay, before going on to be Inspecting Officer of the Imperial Service Cavalry at Kathiawar, and finally being appointed as a military attaché at Bombay Command Headquarters. He served in South Africa during the Boer War, where he was Captain in command of the 63rd Imperial Yeomanry, before returning to Bombay to resume his role as military attaché. Not long after returning he was promoted to Brigade Major, serving at Kamptee and Jubbulpore before passing through the Indian Staff College at Quetta. In 1911 he went to Australia for two years, which he spent as Director of Military Training on the Headquarters Staff in Melbourne.

When war was declared in 1914 John, who was at that time serving as a Major in the 32nd Lancers, Indian Army, was back in England on leave. He reported to the 7th Reserve Cavalry, based at Tidworth in Wiltshire, and ultimately went to France the next spring as Brigade Major of the 9th Cavalry Brigade. On May 24th 1915 he was killed whilst serving south-east of Ypres
. https://dulwichcollege1914-18.co.uk/fallen/griffith-jg/

The Masonic Lodges Great War Project adds a second picture, (which also appears on the Lives of the First World War website and the Imperial War Museum website). Dressed in civilian clothes, he wears a monocle. It also adds “He was a keen sportsman and fond of all games and sports, particularly football and polo, pigsticking, hunting and big-game shooting. He won the Gujerat pony point-to-point in 1910, and the Staff College point-to-point in 1900. He played in the Indian Cavalry Polo Tournament for his regiment in 1911, and he carried off prizes in every assault-at-arms and gymkhana in which he competed.”
https://www.masonicgreatwarproject.org.uk/legend.php?id=1266
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/5462192
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205295586

As a 1909 entrant and 1911 graduate he should only appear on the 1910 picture. My best guess, based on the monocle and lancer uniform with similarity to the samples posted is Officer number 5 – but quite prepared to be shot down on that as there is so little of the facial features on view to make a comparison, and the other two named pictures aren’t exactly obviously the same person.

1926333771_JohnGwynneGriffithpossiblepanelv1.png.cd8ef097fe47c04c4a9545069c5f3c80.png

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

54 minutes ago, PRC said:

Captain John Gwynne Griffith, 32nd Lancers, was a 1909 entrant and a 1911 graduate.

Major John Gwynne Griffith, 32nd Lancers and staff of the 9th Cavalry Brigade, died on the 24th May 1915, aged 40, and is buried in Ypres Town Cemetery. He was the son of Col. J. G. E. Griffith (Indian Staff Corps) and Mrs. Griffith; husband of F. E. Griffith, of 29, Park Place, Cheltenham. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/446255/john-gwynne-griffith/

From the Dulwich College Great War Fallen website, which also has the picture posted by Frogsmile.

Born in Bombay on June 23rd 1874, John was the third son of J.G.E. Griffith, a Colonel in the Indian Staff Corps, and his wife, Fanny. He joined Dulwich in 1885, at the same time as his elder brother Henry; both Griffith brothers were boarders in Elm Lawn and they were both at the College for two years, leaving in 1887. After his time at Dulwich John went into the military, at first joining the South Wales Borderers. By November 1894 he was in India, where he took a commission in the Durham Light Infantry, being based at Poona. Two years later he was transferred to the Indian Army, and posted to the Bombay Lancers, with whom he held many positions, starting with plague duty in Bombay, before going on to be Inspecting Officer of the Imperial Service Cavalry at Kathiawar, and finally being appointed as a military attaché at Bombay Command Headquarters. He served in South Africa during the Boer War, where he was Captain in command of the 63rd Imperial Yeomanry, before returning to Bombay to resume his role as military attaché. Not long after returning he was promoted to Brigade Major, serving at Kamptee and Jubbulpore before passing through the Indian Staff College at Quetta. In 1911 he went to Australia for two years, which he spent as Director of Military Training on the Headquarters Staff in Melbourne.

When war was declared in 1914 John, who was at that time serving as a Major in the 32nd Lancers, Indian Army, was back in England on leave. He reported to the 7th Reserve Cavalry, based at Tidworth in Wiltshire, and ultimately went to France the next spring as Brigade Major of the 9th Cavalry Brigade. On May 24th 1915 he was killed whilst serving south-east of Ypres
. https://dulwichcollege1914-18.co.uk/fallen/griffith-jg/

The Masonic Lodges Great War Project adds a second picture, (which also appears on the Lives of the First World War website and the Imperial War Museum website). Dressed in civilian clothes, he wears a monocle. It also adds “He was a keen sportsman and fond of all games and sports, particularly football and polo, pigsticking, hunting and big-game shooting. He won the Gujerat pony point-to-point in 1910, and the Staff College point-to-point in 1900. He played in the Indian Cavalry Polo Tournament for his regiment in 1911, and he carried off prizes in every assault-at-arms and gymkhana in which he competed.”
https://www.masonicgreatwarproject.org.uk/legend.php?id=1266
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/5462192
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205295586

As a 1909 entrant and 1911 graduate he should only appear on the 1910 picture. My best guess, based on the monocle and lancer uniform with similarity to the samples posted is Officer number 5 – but quite prepared to be shot down on that as there is so little of the facial features on view to make a comparison, and the other two named pictures aren’t exactly obviously the same person.

1926333771_JohnGwynneGriffithpossiblepanelv1.png.cd8ef097fe47c04c4a9545069c5f3c80.png

Cheers,
Peter

I think that’s him in all three photos Peter, the facial similarities around chin, nose and eyes are consistent.  Another good spot by you.

NB.  Note the dark central light running down the pouch belt that’s commensurate with the pattern favoured by the 32nd Lancers.

57E37315-8448-422B-A853-D0BAD748CBE2.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
1 hour ago, PRC said:

Left hand photo is on De Ruvigny's rollhttps://www.ukphotoarchive.org.uk/de-ruvignys-roll-of-honour-vol-1-g/h2c1af5b1#h2c1af5b1 with a similar description. His right eye, on the right hand photo looks as if it has had a monocle in it for years, just not in at the time of photo. I believe you have the correct man in all pics Peter. Great work!    image.png.fafc7cd8a9b7e6427625fdcb698e7335.png

Edited by Bob Davies

Latest Summary for the 1911 Staff College picture featuring Douglas Haig, owner @mrfrank – [1910 picture numbers in square brackets].

1: Thomas Anselan Pollok-Morris, Highland Light Infantry
2: Infantry, one medal. Indian regiment given absence of collar badge and his tunic is of pre 1903 pattern with a higher collar. 
3: Probably James Farquhar, 19th Battery, RFA (Queen’s medal with 2 clasps and African General Service Medal with two clasps).
Definitely RA, as evidenced by plain gold laced pouch belt.[43]
4: Probably Basil Edwin Crockett, 17th Lancers. White plastron of Imperial style (the Indian was different).
One of the 1910 entrants.  He commanded the 11th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment in the Great War.[2]
5: Arthur Richard Careless Sanders R.E. (RE as evidenced by wavy line pouch belt).
6: Infantry. No medals.
7: Infantry? No medals. Indian infantry and probably Sikh without Royal appellation/association going by coloured facings and qoit collar badge.
8: Probably Edward Douglas Giles, 35th Horse (ex 5th Bombay Cavalry).
9: Francis Duncan Irvine (Royal Engineers), 2nd Queen’s Own Sappers & Miners. Definitely RE officer, attached to Sappers & Miners but retained parent uniform. [47]
10: Possibly Suffolk Regiment but no one from that regiment known to be attending. Frogsmile - I know of no Indian regiment with Gibraltar castle badge, but Suffolk’s white facings were changed at turn of century, so it implies he’s been away from regimental duty for some time.  
11: Probably Henry Bingham Whistler Smith-Rewse, RFA
12: Infantry No medals. From an Indian regiment and pre 1903 tunic with higher collar.
13: Probably Clarence Reginald MacDonald, Royal Warwickshire Regiment who had at this time QM+3, KM+2, India Medal+1 (NWF 1897-8). This Officer seems to have the QM with at least 3 clasps (partially obscured) plus KM with 2 clasps. Probably Imperial infantry regiment going by what can be seen of his tunic.
14: Probably Charles Kirkpatrick, Corps of Guides (no medal entitlement) - regiment styled as Hussars, special pouch belt design along with tunic style strongly suggests Corps of Guides.
15: Probably Arthur William Hamilton May Moens, 52nd Sikhs (F.F.). Uniform is Native Infantry. Frogsmile - a regiment styled as rifles, and possibly Corps of Guides infantry, but I’m unsure.[30]
16: Possibly Charles Richard Foster Seymour, 13th Rajputs. QM+4 clasps.
17: Infantry. No medals. Indian infantry probably with Royal appellation/association as facings appear to be dark blue.
18: Infantry. No medals. Probably South Wales Borderers as appears to be a metal sphinx on a darkish (perhaps green) collar.
19: Francis Hamilton Moore, 2nd Berkshire, (the bullion Chinese collar dragon is clear).[55]
20: Probably Henry Charles Swinburne Ward, 2nd Lancers
21: Richard Hope Waller, 38th Dogras
22: Probably Frank Eustice George Talbot, 14th Sikhs. Entitled to the China 1900 medal and clearly visible in the photo as well as 14th Sikhs collar badges in the form of Prince of Wales’s feathers with coronet over scroll. 
23: Probably Alleyn Charles Rothwell Greene, RGA (No medal entitlement).
24: Infantry? One medal – with clasp?
25: Native cavalry? – looks to be a 1910 entrant.[15]
26: Probably Francis William Loveday, 75th Company, RGA (China 1900 Medal and Queen’s Medal with one clasp).
Survived the war only to die of influenza in the UK in 1919.[1]
27: Gurkha ? No Medal. Possibly also 9th Gurkha Rifles, who favoured a Rifle Brigade style pouch belt badge of the pattern with a ‘Guelphic crown’. However, could be Garwhal Rifle Regiment as insignia very similar.[54]
28: Walter Lloyd Sinclair Meiklejohn, 106th Hazara Pioneers. 1910 entrant. [11]
29: Henry Clare Duncan, 1st Battalion, 9th Gurkha Rifles [44]
30: Francis John Joslin, 2nd Royal West Kent Regiment [45]
31: Native Cavalry?
32: Infantry? One medal – with clasp(s)?
33: Possibly 48th Pioneers
34: Gerald Farrell Boyd DSO, 2nd Leinster [49]
35: Harold Lewis, 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse). NW Frontier of India medal+clasp [32]
36: Infantry? One medal – with clasp(s)? One of the 1910 entrants.[19]
37: Very likely to be the 14th (King George’s Own) Ferozepore Sikhs
38: Probably Frank Etheridge, 7th Rajputs
39: Native Cavalry? No medals.
40: Harold Hereward Hughes-Hallett, 2nd North Staffs [31]
41: Probably Thomas George Jameson Torrie, 27th Light Cavalry. One of the 1910 entrants.  Subsequently 2nd Life Guards. Killed in Action 18th November 1916 while attached 7th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment.[9]
42: Possibly George Hutchison, 122nd Rajputana Infantry. China 1900 Medal [27]
43: Probably John Harvey de Wiederhold Carruthers, 1st Bn 39th Garwhal Rifles based on the 1910-11 picture. Previous comment -  This might be 1st Prince of Wales’s Own Gurkha Rifles.  Another possibility is a 130th King George's Own Baluchis that also featured PoW feathers.  The former seems closer but the scroll under the badge doesn’t chime. [33]
44: Possibly Walter Mervyn St George Kirke, 59th Company, RGA [26]
45: Cyril Norman MacMullen, 15th Ludhiana Sikhs [17]
46: Possibly Eric Fairweather Harrison, Royal Australian Garrison Artillery [52]
47: Possibly 32nd or 34th Sikh Pioneers – looks to be a 1910 entrant. [14]
48: Probably Francis Harvey Stapleton, Ox & Buck Light Infantry. Two medals. Identified from his Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry uniform, although clasps on QSA and KSA don’t tally to the totals shown in the relevant Army List.
49: Probably Bertie Drew Fisher, 17th Lancers
50: Probably Alexander Montagu Spears Elsmie, 56th Punjab Rifles (College Staff). [41]
51: Matthew Percival Buckle , RWKR [42]
52: Probably George de Symons Barrow, 4th Cavalry
53: Probably Col John Emerson Wharton Headlam DSO
54: College Commandant Walter Pipon Braithwaite.
55: Douglas Haig
56: Henry Dowrish Drake, RM Artillery, (College Staff) [38]
57: Theodore Fraser, RE (College Staff) [37]
58: Possibly George McKenzie Franks, Royal Artillery (College Staff). [40]
59: Possibly Maj Gilbert Robert Cassells, 35th Sikhs. This officer appears to be wearing the Egyptian Medal & India Medal+3 clasps (that fits for him) as well as one other medal. 
60: College Staff?

Outstanding

College Staff

None

Students

1910 Intake

John Arthur Muirhead, 1st Duke of York's Own Lancers (Skinner's Horse)
John Cecil Macrae, 19th Punjabis
Laurence Balfour Cloete, 37th Dogras
Arthur Charles Samuel Burdon Ellis, 121st Pioneers
Edgar Claude Kensington, 130th Prince of Wales' Own Baluchis
William Campbell Little, 1st Bn 6th Gurkha Rifles – Picture available but no obvious match on the Quetta Staff College photograph. The 1914 Annual Army List only has him eligible for the NW Frontier of India, Waziristan , 1901-2 medal with clasp.

1911 Intake

Maj Alexander Bertram Lindsay, 2nd Gurkha Rifles (Sirmoor Rifles) – Picture available but no obvious match on the Quetta Staff College photograph.
Claud Hamilton Griffith Black, 34th Horse
James Whitehead, 1st Brahmans  (No medals at the time this picture was taken)
Cuthbert Colpoys Cunningham, 12th Pioneers
James Charles McKenna, 16th Rajputs
Herbert Claude McWatters, 22nd Punjabis
John Cavendish Freeland, 35th Sikhs. Image available but no obvious match on the Quetta Staff College photograph.
Walter Edward Wilson-Johnston, 36th Sikhs
Henry St George Murray McRae, 45th Sikhs
Guilford Edgar Charlton Underhill, 62nd Punjabis. Image available but no obvious match on the Quetta Staff College photograph. Underhill was entitled to the African General Service medal for Aden 1903-4 – although that has been queried.
Charles McGregor Withers, 87th Punjabis  - Image available but no obvious match on the Quetta Staff College photograph.
Withers was - at the time of the photograph - entitled to the African General Service medal with two clasps.
Vire Gordon Menzies, 97th Infantry      

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
On 09/02/2023 at 18:26, mrfrank said:

A re-post if the 1909 intake that feature in the earlier signed photo: 

64D46B74-3FA0-43A1-B888-86D5654A9DBC.jpeg

While not wishing to confuse and blunder about, I accidentally found a picture of (5 down from top)  Captain J R Wethered Gloucestershire Regiment here. Edit; However I can't link him to India at the moment. Possibly I have blundered but I will persevere; Edit; No luck yet linking him to India.  https://glosters.tripod.com/LC1.htm

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
17 hours ago, PRC said:

Claud Hamilton Griffith Black, 34th Horse

Here is a candidate, picture here;https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw176733  for this Officer. Courtesy of Fold 3. Edit; @PRC In this 2nd picture he is the age we need him to be for comparison. courtesy IWM;https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205290653image.png.9fb16217454d2ae88de3c9a2d10b5245.png

Edited by Bob Davies

3 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Here is a candidate, picture here;https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw176733  for this Officer. Courtesy of Fold 3 image.png.9fb16217454d2ae88de3c9a2d10b5245.png

Very interesting to peruse his employment on the staff, Bob.  Notice how his brevet and temporary rank reflect his ascending employment between a second grade and first grade staff officer appointment in the general staff division of various Corps and Divisional headquarters.  These are all a direct result of his attendance at the Staff College.

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

While not wishing to confuse and blunder about, I accidentally found a picture of (5 down from top)  Captain J R Wethered Gloucestershire Regiment here.

The 1909 entrants \ 1911 graduates includes a Captain J. R. Wethered, Gloucesteshire Regiment - so he should only appear on the 1910 photograph.

Harts Annual Army List for 1911, (courtesy the National Library of Scotland), shows the following as Captains of the Gloucestershire Regiment. It's circumstantial, but as Captain Joseph Robert Wethered is the only Wethered listed, and he is shown as being at the Staff College, that is either going to be Camberley or Quetta.

262304341_Harts1911ListGlosterRegtRegularArmyCaptainssourcedNationalLibraryofScotland.png.527c9b728005131d2d40093f49f0e45a.png

There is a Great War MiC for Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Robert Wethered, 14th Infantry Brigade Staff Major, Captain Gloucestershire Regiment, C.M.G & D.S.O.

A comparison of the image available from the Glosters website linked to by @Bob Davies didn't produce any great visual matches for me from amongst the men photographed in the 1910 Staff College picture.

But coming over all junior @FROGSMILE I then tried looking for pictures of Gloucestershire Regiment men & officers from Edwardian era. As an absolute beginner, and it may be my naivete, but it seems like their collars are light coloured and there is a largish regimental collar badge - see the collar tab badges on the later picture for comparison of the shape.  So I'm offering this comparison with officer number 48 from the 1910 photograph more in hope rather than with any great conviction that it is the right man.

Joseph Wethered possible panel v1.png(No new IP was created in producing the above and all image rights remain with the current owners).

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
1)Typos 2) Add IP disclaimer

• Admin
32 minutes ago, PRC said:

So I'm offering this comparison with officer number 48 from the 1910 photograph more in hope rather than with any great conviction that it is the right man.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for the side by side Peter. His chin and lower lip fit and something about his cheek does too. On his Fold 3 details he is 'psc' and then a whole list of 'appointments' (for want of a better word) but no mention that I can see of India. I will find it again and post it here later. Thanks for the summary list, that is a great help. Regards, Bob.