Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

8 hours ago, Dave66 said:

On the 1818 victorious new year one, is there something behind the silk???

possible Brucey bonus tucked between the silk and the card backing....I can see an outline of a smaller card, and some old faded ink behind the holly leaves.

That's right Dave. There's a little card tucked under the silk. You see the yellow piping? That lifts up to reveal a 5cmx4cm card. When im on my computer ill get a scan of it. 

Dan

59 minutes ago, P.Rhodes said:

Another one sent to my Aunt from the same admirer

5a895af563f2e_WW1silkpcfromFrancetoMay001.jpg.0f810950c7c337367f3e7377e4476386.jpg

Great card. Thanks for sharing. 

Does anyone know how these silk cards were sold and for what price? For some reason I assumed they were produced in small numbers in a cottage industry type set up. 

Dan

8 hours ago, Bean tool said:

That's right Dave. There's a little card tucked under the silk. You see the yellow piping? That lifts up to reveal a 5cmx4cm card. When im on my computer ill get a scan of it. 

Dan

Ah, I see it...never new of anything like that, do you have any others similar?

Look forward to seeing the scan.

Dave.

47 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Ah, I see it...never new of anything like that, do you have any others similar?

Look forward to seeing the scan.

Dave.

I think the card P Rhodes shared is similar. The butterfly looks like it lifts up with the little card inside. 

Here's some better pictures for you Dave, apologies for the quality -

**EDIT** - Its addressed to a Minnie Pearce.

Silk - 1918 2.jpg

Silk - 1918 1.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

2 hours ago, Bean tool said:

I think the card P Rhodes shared is similar. The butterfly looks like it lifts up with the little card inside. 

Here's some better pictures for you Dave, apologies for the quality -

**EDIT** - Its addressed to a Minnie Pearce.

Silk - 1918 2.jpg

Silk - 1918 1.jpg

Very nice indeed Dan...you live and learn.

I wonder what happened to Minnie Pierce, and the chap who sent them....always nice if there's a personal touch to these items.

Dave.

1 hour ago, P.Rhodes said:

And another5a904474028a6_WW1silkpctoMay003001.jpg.4d1f6eb99b16fb7d74d29a2fc382fbec.jpg

Very nice indeed, 

colours are still nice and fresh.

Unusual design for a silk, like it.

All the best,

Dave.

Another two:

See you later.jpg

See you later - reverse.jpg

This unusual card above has been posted to a HMS Regal however I cannot find a ship by that name in WW1 - Does anyone have any ideas or information?

Battalion national anthem.jpg

Not only do I find this card very enlightening I think it is also very poignant. 

Cheers all

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

3 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Another two:

See you later.jpg

See you later - reverse.jpg

This unusual card above has been posted to a HMS Regal however I cannot find a ship by that name in WW1 - Does anyone have any ideas or information?

Battalion national anthem.jpg

Not only do I find this card very enlightening I think it is also very poignant. 

Cheers all

Dan

Another fine set of cards dan.

Lowestoft was used as a minesweeping base during the Great War....but can't find H.M.S.Regal, could it have been part of the shore based establishment?

The last card is very unusual...like it.

Dave.

Regal was a minesweeping trawler in service with the RN from June 1915 to 1919.

ARABIS.

30 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Another fine set of cards dan.

Lowestoft was used as a minesweeping base during the Great War....but can't find H.M.S.Regal, could it have been part of the shore based establishment?

The last card is very unusual...like it.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

13 minutes ago, ARABIS said:

Regal was a minesweeping trawler in service with the RN from June 1915 to 1919.

ARABIS.

Ah. Interesting. Thanks for the information Arabis.

Dan

2 hours ago, P.Rhodes said:

Another one from the same source. A Christmas theme going on here I think, holly and mistletoe border if I'm not mistaken.5a91877d7eec6_WW1silkpctoMay004001.jpg.2f8a35113b2301a86cc8d7c55290f3fd.jpg

Definetly holly in the borders. Nice card. How long have you been collecting silks?

Dan

Hi Dan, I don't collect these cards or anything else to do with WW1 but when I cleared my Aunt's house out after her death I found these with her momentoes and important papers etc.

The other cards came from another house clearance, that of my Father's Sister and Brother in law. I have saved all of these as I believe they should be kept. Here is one more. Thank you 5a929f49aad24_WW1silkpctoMay005001.jpg.1d17a14c2bb509fd3038013f3ecfd406.jpgfor starting this topic, I'm quite enjoying it.

42 minutes ago, P.Rhodes said:

Hi Dan, I don't collect these cards or anything else to do with WW1 but when I cleared my Aunt's house out after her death I found these with her momentoes and important papers etc.

The other cards came from another house clearance, that of my Father's Sister and Brother in law. I have saved all of these as I believe they should be kept. Here is one more. Thank you 5a929f49aad24_WW1silkpctoMay005001.jpg.1d17a14c2bb509fd3038013f3ecfd406.jpgfor starting this topic, I'm quite enjoying it.

Postcards and books, in fact anything with a family inscription can be invaluable when going back through the generations. I always feel we are custodians, looking after them for our children so we can pass them on.

Always upsetting when families sell off these things for relatively little money, prevents the next generation from having that tactile connection.

Dave.

8 hours ago, P.Rhodes said:

I'm glad you saved them. Thanks for sharing 😊

7 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Postcards and books, in fact anything with a family inscription can be invaluable when going back through the generations. I always feel we are custodians, looking after them for our children so we can pass them on.

Always upsetting when families sell off these things for relatively little money, prevents the next generation from having that tactile connection.

Dave.

Spot on Dave 

36 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

this card has nothing to do with the military, but a lot with silk.

GreyC

Stickkarte.jpeg.d33ce76cf644f5a7c41f5c5ad5889bc8.jpeg

That's taken a bit of effort! Spanish by any chance?

Dan

Christmas Card sent from Ypres in 1917 and all the Postcards sent to Miss Hilda Maisey of 44 St Paul's Street North, Cheltenham by Private Reginald Wilfred Evans 1/5 Gloucestershire Regt.  Reginald was an ancestor of mine and was KIA on 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to get married.  The wedding Banns were read for 3 consecutive Sundays at St Paul's Church, Cheltenham, after he had been killed.  So sad, but the artefacts are held at the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.

V/R

Wayne 

image.jpg

image.jpg

57 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Dan,

I agree.  It seems to have been manufactured in France but may well depict a Spanish girl.

GreyC

I've seen one very very similar to this Grey.

Edited by Bean tool