Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

1 hour ago, gilbo139 said:

The card with the remains on was given to me probably 20 years ago, the other two were from E bay....of course it’s more interesting to us perhaps because Leefe Robinson was Worcestershire Regiment at one point!

What a lovely thing to be given....I didn't know about the Worcester connection to be honest, so always learning.

As I trawl all the Worcester antique and charity shops on a very regular basis, I was wondering if the old eagle eyes were failing me!!

kind regards,

Dave.

2 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

Posted this before in another section but have added the last two cards from E bay since......

23FFE1A1-B3DA-4DBD-854C-182391135996.jpeg

153AB494-6A0E-4A8F-A957-A6B8D0CE4F12.jpeg

FFDF3A30-2BA8-4807-8B76-6E9E5C2FD198.jpeg

7C618552-AF77-47DB-BAFF-ECDCDA5E291B.jpeg

98D70B5A-D5C8-47C2-97A3-1650D0BF4044.jpeg

Awesome. This is just great. Thanks very much for sharing 

Dan

Hello Dave, I decorated for years for an old lady who had only one surviving relative, she had two albums of postcards,  just general holiday ones and a few Great War related, she said I could have the WW1 related cards as a reward for taking photos of her Uncles war grave in Belgium when ivisited( no internet photos available then) as no one had ever been and she remembered him, as a young girl, going off to fight and he said he wouldn,t be coming home and that fact had stuck with her. I had about 5 cards from the album and then sold the remaining cards for £200 and gave her the money, she couldn’t believe how much she got for them........so we were both happy! 

Regards Colin

Another one from the collection.nothing written on the back except OAS and the censors stamp

3732262D-1C29-4C0C-ADAC-F7AA151814E4.jpeg

2 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

Hello Dave, I decorated for years for an old lady who had only one surviving relative, she had two albums of postcards,  just general holiday ones and a few Great War related, she said I could have the WW1 related cards as a reward for taking photos of her Uncles war grave in Belgium when ivisited( no internet photos available then) as no one had ever been and she remembered him, as a young girl, going off to fight and he said he wouldn,t be coming home and that fact had stuck with her. I had about 5 cards from the album and then sold the remaining cards for £200 and gave her the money, she couldn’t believe how much she got for them........so we were both happy! 

Regards Colin

Colin,

What a lovely thing to do, always nice to be able to help out, and to have a special memory accompanying a piece is what its all about.

I had a similar experience with a lovely old lady, who's husband flew mosquitoes. Having an interest in all things war related we always ended up chatting over a cup of tea, she then gave me his old first aid outfit for air crew...very special.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Colin,

interesting card. The company seems to have run their own patriotic line of cards as indicated by the designation and number in the lower right corner.

GreyC

This is damaged at bottom. Interested if anyone can give me any info reference uniform 

E84117B6-1C50-40CC-8DFB-0F747955E6C9.jpeg

11 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

This is damaged at bottom. Interested if anyone can give me any info reference uniform 

E84117B6-1C50-40CC-8DFB-0F747955E6C9.jpeg

He looks very proud, and supporting facial hair that's quite trendy nowadays...or when I can't be bothered to shave, and a coat that would come in handy right now.

Shame about the damage, anything written on the back one either cards you posted?

13 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Rear of the Red Cross card

21DD4D75-2784-4B3C-91B0-094CAFDB89A3.jpeg

Nice clear stamps...now I am fascinated with such a local story, is "Boscobel" still there?

Dave......To my knowledge Boscobel has gone , probably in the 60s during the .....modernisation....... IPT.......that’s great ..thanks Colin

22 minutes ago, IPT said:

419w6-uhCvL._SX297_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mystery solved...many thanks IPT.

1 minute ago, gilbo139 said:

Dave......To my knowledge Boscobel has gone , probably in the 60s during the .....modernisation....... IPT.......that’s great ..thanks Colin

Forgotten how much damage the planners had done to that area of the town, then again, looking at the new bit at the top opposite the cathedral they still haven't learnt the lesson!

I may be totally wrong , a quick google search gives reference to Boscobel during the Civil War, that might have given it a reprieve,but could be confusion with Boscobel in Shropshire I’ll have a walk around on Monday.......hope I,m not going off on a tangent here! But the attached is interesting

56092561-03EE-4F8C-B16D-EA569B1B1B13.png

Edited by gilbo139
More info

4 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

I may be totally wrong , a quick google search gives reference to Boscobel during the Civil War, that might have given it a reprieve, I’ll have a walk around on Monday.......hope I,m not going off on a tangent here!

56092561-03EE-4F8C-B16D-EA569B1B1B13.png

You may be lucky, there are some big old houses at the bottom of London road. I suppose it would depend on where sidebury actually started and finished back in those days, I always thought of it as the small area where Bladders, now skellerns is now.

Well I,m borderline retirement now so may have more time to pursue my interests....if my customers let me!!!!

16 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Well I,m borderline retirement now so may have more time to pursue my interests....if my customers let me!!!!

Sadly I suppose life has to go on, and the bills have to be paid, very boring but necessary.

I know that area like the back of my hand, but just park the car there on the way in to town!...grew up in Hatfield and i'm now where they worship the Plum!!!

My father used to work at Kays, and remembed the damage the so called planners did.

My contribution.

A couple of the cards now in my possession via Great Aunts. One makes me laugh, the other makes me sad. The Medical Board one has a postmark of July '17 but any writing (probably in pencil) has long since faded. The other has no postmark or writing at all.

Medical Bd s.jpg

Postcard 1917 sm.jpg

15 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Sadly I suppose life has to go on, and the bills have to be paid, very boring but necessary.

I know that area like the back of my hand, but just park the car there on the way in to town!...grew up in Hatfield and i'm now where they worship the Plum!!!

My father used to work at Kays, and remembed the damage the so called planners did.

About 55 years ago I used to raid the dustbins at Kay’s!!! Can,t say why because it’s off topic so better put another postcard on that was sent to Miss Hughes

2CF3131B-3021-408C-B151-D6AF735ACA02.jpeg

Thanks Gilbo, Margosh and IPT. Some great cards

Dan

7 hours ago, Margosh said:

My contribution.

A couple of the cards now in my possession via Great Aunts. One makes me laugh, the other makes me sad. The Medical Board one has a postmark of July '17 but any writing (probably in pencil) has long since faded. The other has no postmark or writing at all.

Medical Bd s.jpg

Postcard 1917 sm.jpg

Top ones great, as you say the two side by side are complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Dave.