Dave.

Cost me a small fortune but was totally worth it. Is so unusual 

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A couple more.

Scan_20180720 (2).jpg

Scan_20180720.jpg

The top one is interesting. Was the word 'tart' derogatory as it is now? 

Dan

On 21/07/2018 at 07:50, Bean tool said:

The top one is interesting. Was the word 'tart' derogatory as it is now? 

Dan

OED:

Applied, gen. (orig. often endearingly) to a girl or woman; frequently in Australia and New Zealand. Also in Liverpool dialect (with definite article or possessive pronoun): a wife or girl-friend. slang.

1864   J. C. Hotten Slang Dict. (new ed.) 254   Tart, a term of approval applied by the London lower orders to a young woman for whom some affection is felt.
1887   Morning Post 25 Jan.   The paragraph..referred to the young ladies in the chorus at the Avenue and spoke of them as ‘tarts’. It was suggested on the part of the prosecution that the word ‘tart’ really meant a person of immoral character.
1894   Daily News 5 Feb. 2/7   Some of the women described themselves as ‘Tarts’..and said that they got their living in the best way they could.
1903   J. S. Farmer Slang   Tart (common). Primarily a girl, chaste or not; now (unless loosely used) a wanton, mistress, ‘good-one’.

Seems always to have encapsulated both possibilities...

On 22/07/2018 at 16:53, seaJane said:

OED:

Applied, gen. (orig. often endearingly) to a girl or woman; frequently in Australia and New Zealand. Also in Liverpool dialect (with definite article or possessive pronoun): a wife or girl-friend. slang.

1864   J. C. Hotten Slang Dict. (new ed.) 254   Tart, a term of approval applied by the London lower orders to a young woman for whom some affection is felt.
1887   Morning Post 25 Jan.   The paragraph..referred to the young ladies in the chorus at the Avenue and spoke of them as ‘tarts’. It was suggested on the part of the prosecution that the word ‘tart’ really meant a person of immoral character.
1894   Daily News 5 Feb. 2/7   Some of the women described themselves as ‘Tarts’..and said that they got their living in the best way they could.
1903   J. S. Farmer Slang   Tart (common). Primarily a girl, chaste or not; now (unless loosely used) a wanton, mistress, ‘good-one’.

Seems always to have encapsulated both possibilities...

Thanks Jane. 

Dan

1. Is missing its miniature card.

3. " To You With Love"

Scan_20180802 (3).jpg

Scan_20180802 (4).jpg

Scan_20180802 (5).jpg

Scan_20180802 (2).jpg

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

1. Is missing its miniature card.

3. " To You With Love"

Scan_20180802 (3).jpg

Scan_20180802 (4).jpg

Scan_20180802 (5).jpg

Scan_20180802 (2).jpg

Nice cards GWF

Dan

On 09/08/2018 at 16:03, themonsstar said:

Some PCs from last week 

PC No1.jpg

PC No2.jpg

PC3.JPG

pc4.JPG

pc5.JPG

pc6.JPG

pc7.JPG

Some more great cards, thanks Roy

• 1 month later...

"Dear Mother" is unposted.

"Fond Birthday Wishes" is dedicated to "Gunner J.Barlow,  Good Luck for your Birthday.  With Love, Joe XXX"

The last card is dated May 1st 1918. " To My dear son Celonzo wishing you many Happy returns of your Birthday from your loving Father Lt"

Scan_20181005 (4).jpg

Scan_20181005.jpg

Scan_20181007 (2).jpg

I have had the pleasure of going through our Family pics and Post Cards from WW1 tonight and there are over 60 Post Cards. It's literally blown my mind! Here are just a few of them. I now have digital copies of them all but I'm going to ask our Matriarch if we should perhaps send these to a Museum for everyone to see. Is this the right way to go or should we keep them as we have, in a 1909 biscuit tin?

img076.jpg

img077.jpg

img078.jpg

img082.jpg

img090.jpg

img101.jpg

img104.jpg

What a wonderful collection! It seems to me that they belong in the biscuit tin - it's a part of their history and, as long it isn't (and doesn't get) damp, it should be as safe a way of preserving them as anything.

Is your local civic centre or public library planning an exhibition for the Armistice Centenary? They ought to be glad to borrow something that good to display, but if they can't offer you proper assurances regarding security, safety and insurance then I'd seriously consider only making reproductions available, so that you don't risk losing anything.

Hi,

that´s a nice collection. But as they are not incredibly rare, I´d keep them in the family to have something to remember those who wrote/collected them initially.

If you give them away for an exhibition or the like, I think seaJane has given very sound advice.

GreyC

"110796 Sign/ A.H. Roberts,

17th Siege Battery R.G.A. British Exdy Force, France  - With love from Eric".

Scan_20181012.jpg

Scan_20181014.jpg

Postmark is Newbur....

There is an Eric Arthur Roberts born 1910 in the 1911 Census for 1 Stanswick Terrace, Kingsbridge Road, Newbury. Father = Arthur Henry Roberts, mother = Florence Phoebe.

On 14/10/2018 at 19:17, Hywyn said:

Postmark is Newbur....

There is an Eric Arthur Roberts born 1910 in the 1911 Census for 1 Stanswick Terrace, Kingsbridge Road, Newbury. Father = Arthur Henry Roberts, mother = Florence Phoebe.

Many thanks indeed Hywyn. 

• 3 weeks later...