Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

Evening all,

A year or so ago I started collecting patriotic postcards, especially ones with Union Jacks or lions. Don't ask me why they just took my fancy! I don't have many so I'll post a couple at a time. I'd really like to see any postcards or posters you have in your own collections. I find they give great insight into the mood at the time.

Cheers

Dan

Hands off.jpg

Kitchener.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

Not quite postcards or a poster but I couldn't resist it as quite poignant.

This was embroidered on what I presume to be material from an army issue shirt, by a Pte Charles Henry Cooksey M.M., of the Worcestershire regiment whilst recouperating from his wounds. 

A humble example of Hospital Work, and to think a bloke did that!!!

From research a few years ago the poem first appeared around the time of the Easter rising, but can't for the life of me remember who wrote it.

Dave.

image.jpeg

I have a very large collection of silk postcards.  I started collecting them 4 or 5 years ago when it was possible to pick them up for a few pounds.  Now it is rare to pay less than about £5 for them.

I find them very moving, especially when written by a soldier to a child or wife.  They often profess to be 'fine' and hope the recipient is well but you know that their 'fine' hides the reality of what they must have been experiencing.  If possible I try and find out who sent them and check to see if they survived the war.

I try and keep collections together and have been known to spend considerably more than I anticipated at one time buying more and more cards at one go when I discover they have all been sent from or to one individual.

To me they are not big WW1 show pieces but from the average tommy and deserve being treated and cared for with respect.

44 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

From research a few years ago the poem first appeared around the time of the Easter rising, but can't for the life of me remember who wrote it.

Hi,

the poem with the title "The Union Jack" was published as early as 1901 in Montreal in a book called POEMS AND SONGS ON THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR, compiled by REV. J. DOUGLAS BORTHWICK. LL.D. . The poem itself was marked as anonymous.

GreyC

Phsvm - I totally agree. There's a poignancy to them. It gives me great pleasure to know they are safe in my little wallets ready to show and teach my kids (when I have them!) I only have one silk card and it's extremely delicate. Would appreciate seeing any of your favourites if you get the chance. 

Dave - that embroidery is amazing. Thanks for sharing it. Liking the flanking bayonets too ; )

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

30 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

the poem with the title "The Union Jack" was published as early as 1901 in Montreal in a book called POEMS AND SONGS ON THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR, compiled by REV. J. DOUGLAS BORTHWICK. LL.D. . The poem itself was marked as anonymous.

GreyC

Many many thanks for that, been over 5 years since I acquired it and getting to that age where I need to start writing things down!!!

33 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Dave - that embroidery is amazing. Thanks for sharing it. Liking the flanking bayonets too ; )

Just had to buy it as so personal and unusual, and placed in the centre of the bayonets as a bit of a contrast..who'd have thought embroidery and the old cold steel worked so well alongside each other.

i managed to get the chaps framed discharge certificate along with the embroidery, and whilst researching his M.M. Awarded in Italy I found his brother had also been awarded the M.M. In Italy just 2 pages on in the gazette notifications...can't imagine how proud their parents would have been, and relieved at their return even if injured.

Regards to you all,

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Many many thanks for that, been over 5 years since I acquired it and getting to that age where I need to start writing things down!!!

Just had to buy it as so personal and unusual, and placed in the centre of the bayonets as a bit of a contrast..who'd have thought embroidery and the old cold steel worked so well alongside each other.

i managed to get the chaps framed discharge certificate along with the embroidery, and whilst researching his M.M. Awarded in Italy I found his brother had also been awarded the M.M. In Italy just 2 pages on in the gazette notifications...can't imagine how proud their parents would have been, and relieved at their return even if injured.

Regards to you all,

Dave.

Great Dave. Bet you were chuffed when you found it. Where in Italy did they serve? 

Dan

9 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Great Dave. Bet you were chuffed when you found it. Where in Italy did they serve? 

Dan

Dan,

He served with the1/8th Worcesters at that time, and after paschendale went to Italy in early 1918....didn't go in depth as couldn't find the actual citation. Gazetted 24th Jan 1919 but only states theatre of operation.

S.W.B. Roll notes discharge date of May 1919 due to wounds aged 20, but frustratingly no surviving service records I can find on ancestry.

Ends up a Postman in Kidderminster, married with children. Nice and local to me and a happy ending for once!!

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

I acquired it and getting to that age where I need to start writing things down!!!

Hi Dave66,

I know what you mean :rolleyes:.

The poem could, of course, be even older. The publication date I found is just an ante quem.

GreyC

Hi bean tool, thanks for sharing some of your cards. I collect WW1 postcards as well, but mainly RPPC ( real photo postcards). I've collected a bit over 1,000 now.

9 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Dan,

He served with the1/8th Worcesters at that time, and after paschendale went to Italy in early 1918....didn't go in depth as couldn't find the actual citation. Gazetted 24th Jan 1919 but only states theatre of operation.

S.W.B. Roll notes discharge date of May 1919 due to wounds aged 20, but frustratingly no surviving service records I can find on ancestry.

Ends up a Postman in Kidderminster, married with children. Nice and local to me and a happy ending for once!!

Dave.

What a great story Dave. Did he put it in the frame then?

Dan

5 hours ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

Hi bean tool, thanks for sharing some of your cards. I collect WW1 postcards as well, but mainly RPPC ( real photo postcards). I've collected a bit over 1,000 now.

Morning Sturmmann,

No problem at all. I don't know a lot about regiments, insignia or the alike so I've never bought a RPPC. There are a few online of the Gloster regiment that have caught my eye though. And 1000?! I have 30 and the missus is saying no more! I can't imagine 970 more arguments!! 

Dan

1 hour ago, Bean tool said:

What a great story Dave. Did he put it in the frame then?

Dan

They both came framed, and the embroidery I haven't touched so as it was a century ago...even with the slight rust  bleeding from the pins at the rear, character, and fear of anything disintegrating means I'll leave well alone.

The discharge certificate was framed but had suffered badly from damp, so I did have to refurbish that. Interestingly it was sold to me as that of Charles Henry cooksumm....only after the glass was removed and gently cleaned I noticed that it was cooksey but he'd written M.M. at the end, so obviously and correctly proud of his achievement.

I don't come across too many postcards like yours, but the union jacks and patriotic ephemera of the period certainly appeal to me...especially if there's a personal story behind things.

regards,

Dave.

I do not collect them but have 9 in the family history collection, i.e. they were sent from Egypt where my grandfather was serving as a driver.

Howard

Card_01.jpg

Card_02.jpg

Card_03.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave66 said:

They both came framed, and the embroidery I haven't touched so as it was a century ago...even with the slight rust  bleeding from the pins at the rear, character, and fear of anything disintegrating means I'll leave well alone.

The discharge certificate was framed but had suffered badly from damp, so I did have to refurbish that. Interestingly it was sold to me as that of Charles Henry cooksumm....only after the glass was removed and gently cleaned I noticed that it was cooksey but he'd written M.M. at the end, so obviously and correctly proud of his achievement.

I don't come across too many postcards like yours, but the union jacks and patriotic ephemera of the period certainly appeal to me...especially if there's a personal story behind things.

regards,

Dave.

Definitely the best decision. I wouldn't want to touch it, it is great as it is. Do you have a room for your collection then?

Dan

3 hours ago, Howard said:

I do not collect them but have 9 in the family history collection, i.e. they were sent from Egypt where my grandfather was serving as a driver.

Howard

Card_01.jpg

Card_02.jpg

Card_03.jpg

Howard they are great. The colours are so vivid. Thanks for sharing

Dan

A couple more.......

I believe the lion one below is quite common and was issued by Boots. Pay special attention to the mane. 

Cheers all 

Dan

Britons awake.jpg

Lions mane.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

7 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Definitely the best decision. I wouldn't want to touch it, it is great as it is. Do you have a room for your collection then?

Dan

Howard they are great. The colours are so vivid. Thanks for sharing

Dan

Glad you like them. Here are some more.

Howard

Card_04.jpg

Card_05.jpg

Card_06.jpg

I've nicked what used to be the dining room, trouble is I've filled it and the wall space!!!....always room for a wee bit more though, just have to be imaginative as I haven't started on the ceiling yet!!

A couple more.......

I believe the lion one below is quite common and was issued by Boots. Pay special attention to the mane. 

Cheers all 

Dan

Britons awake.jpg

Lions mane.jpg

Love the lion one Dan....great.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Glad you like them. Here are some more.

Howard

Card_04.jpg

Card_05.jpg

Card_06.jpg

Thanks Howard. The 1916 card with the xmas tree, what's the writing on the reverse?

Dan

14 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Love the lion one Dan....great.

I've actually got four of these ones. Bought one online for quite a pricey sum then found 3 at a charity shop near me for 50p each.

I'd love to have a room or space for the bits I've got. Am in the middle of a house move so my collection is in boxes. Hoping to stake a claim to a little spot at the new house. We shall see. My missus quite likes the cards so no problem there really. Getting the SMLE, Brodie and trench whistle might cause me problems though! 

Dan

35 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Howard. The 1916 card with the xmas tree, what's the writing on the reverse?

Dan

The top two images are the same item, a loose 1916 calendar inside the cover, held in place by the coloured cord.

The text under the dancers says "Modèle Déposé" and P. RACINE, Éditeur, Paris over "From and "To".

Here are my last three.

Howard

Card_07.jpg

Card_08.jpg

Card_09.jpg

52 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I've actually got four of these ones. Bought one online for quite a pricey sum then found 3 at a charity shop near me for 50p each.

I'd love to have a room or space for the bits I've got. Am in the middle of a house move so my collection is in boxes. Hoping to stake a claim to a little spot at the new house. We shall see. My missus quite likes the cards so no problem there really. Getting the SMLE, Brodie and trench whistle might cause me problems though! 

Dan

It started off with a bookcase, then a bayonet on the wall and then another 30 or so, and has grown slowly so not really noticed until too late but dreading redecorating as now so many holes where things have been moved to accommodate new stuff...just keep adding new stuff to cover them

Im aiming for a S.M.L.E. with bayonet fitted to go just above the wall light when funds allow.

20 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Not quite postcards or a poster but I couldn't resist it as quite poignant.

This was embroidered on what I presume to be material from an army issue shirt, by a Pte Charles Henry Cooksey M.M., of the Worcestershire regiment.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Very nice indeed.

I have a couple of patriotic cards, both blank on the back  unfortunately.  I'm another 1000+ RPPC man.

Scan_20170524 (6).jpg

Scan_20170524 (4).jpg