Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

It started off with a bookcase, then a bayonet on the wall and then another 30 or so, and has grown slowly so not really noticed until too late but dreading redecorating as now so many holes where things have been moved to accommodate new stuff...just keep adding new stuff to cover them

Im aiming for a S.M.L.E. with bayonet fitted to go just above the wall light when funds allow.

I wish Dave. Maybe one day. How long have you been collecting for?

Dan

1 hour ago, Howard said:

The top two images are the same item, a loose 1916 calendar inside the cover, held in place by the coloured cord.

The text under the dancers says "Modèle Déposé" and P. RACINE, Éditeur, Paris over "From and "To".

Here are my last three.

Howard

Card_07.jpg

Card_08.jpg

Card_09.jpg

The butterfly card is great however the oak card is fantastic. I'm guessing it alludes to strength and new beginnings

Dan

29 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I have a couple of patriotic cards, both blank on the back  unfortunately.  I'm another 1000+ RPPC man.

Scan_20170524 (6).jpg

Scan_20170524 (4).jpg

Thanks for sharing GWF

4 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I wish Dave. Maybe one day. How long have you been collecting for?

Never say never, I started picking bits and bobs up here and there 8 or 10 years ago as the kids had grown up a little and when things were much cheaper luckily. Doesn't seem much floating around locally now in comparison sadly and when it does rarely pop up the good stuff costs an arm and a leg in comparison.

After this thread I may take more notice of postcards as some really good examples have been posted...and they take up little room!

Regards,

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Never say never, I started picking bits and bobs up here and there 8 or 10 years ago as the kids had grown up a little and when things were much cheaper luckily. Doesn't seem much floating around locally now in comparison sadly and when it does rarely pop up the good stuff costs an arm and a leg in comparison.

After this thread I may take more notice of postcards as some really good examples have been posted...and they take up little room!

Regards,

Dave.

I've only just started on the road of collecting so I'm unaware of any price increases. Been to one fair and bought most of my bits online.

Don't you take too much of an interest in postcards mind! ;) ha

Cheers Dave

Dan 

5 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I've only just started on the road of collecting so I'm unaware of any price increases. Been to one fair and bought most of my bits online.

Don't you take too much of an interest in postcards mind! ;) ha

Cheers Dave

Dan 

Have no fear, I don't tend to buy online unless absolutely necessary....old school, or just old fashioned as the kids keep telling me!

That way I control the spending which could very quickly get out of hand given half the chance, especially on a Saturday night after a bottle or so.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Have no fear, I don't tend to buy online unless absolutely necessary....old school, or just old fashioned as the kids keep telling me!

That way I control the spending which could very quickly get out of hand given half the chance, especially on a Saturday night after a bottle or so.

Where do you go then Dave? I'll be honest I found going to the fair a bit daunting. So much stuff that I didn't really have a clue about. I could not believe the amount of medals there. Thousands upon thousands. 

Dan

8 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Where do you go then Dave? I'll be honest I found going to the fair a bit daunting. So much stuff that I didn't really have a clue about. I could not believe the amount of medals there. Thousands upon thousands. 

Dan

I'm quite lucky in some respects, there are 2 or 3 local dealers that know me well locally after popping into their shops for years, so they tend to stick items of interest away for me but less seems to be walking through their doors now. And there's a regular flea market that's huge, some of the nicest little bits and bobs have come from there. The same venue also hosts a militaria fair twice a year.

I know what you mean about the militaria fares, they can be daunting but more of a chance if you want that specific item as long as you do the correct research first....you also stand a chance of getting to know and putting a face to the online dealers which really helps.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

I'm quite lucky in some respects, there are 2 or 3 local dealers that know me well locally after popping into their shops for years, so they tend to stick items of interest away for me but less seems to be walking through their doors now. And there's a regular flea market that's huge, some of the nicest little bits and bobs have come from there. The same venue also hosts a militaria fair twice a year.

I know what you mean about the militaria fares, they can be daunting but more of a chance if you want that specific item as long as you do the correct research first....you also stand a chance of getting to know and putting a face to the online dealers which really helps.

I guess that's the most important thing. Research. Brodie helmet next, or an SB arm band. Haven't made up my mind yet. Going to a couple of fairs this year just to have a mooch. Went to yate in November 

Dan

25 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I guess that's the most important thing. Research. Brodie helmet next, or an SB arm band. Haven't made up my mind yet. Going to a couple of fairs this year just to have a mooch. Went to yate in November 

Dan

Be careful of Great War Brodie helmets, great display pieces and iconic but reports suggest asbestos contained under the woolen lining!

i display mine in a sealed glass cabinet just to be on the safe side...I have a philosophy, if it's definitely Great War period and British, dated, unusual or just plain cheap but you like it, I take the plunge and buy it. Once you get it home the research starts, even if it's wrong and you haven't spent a fortune you've learnt something and you can move the piece on in a trade.

Ive made numerous mistakes over the years, but learnt so much by actually handling the good and the bad.

looking forward to seeing future purchases,

and best of luck.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Typo

4 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Be careful of Great War Brodie helmets, great display pieces and iconic but reports suggest asbestos contained under the woolen lining!

i display mine in a sealed glass cabinet just to be on the safe side...I have a philosophy, if it's definitely Great War period and British, dated, unusual or just plain cheap but you like it, I take the plunge and buy it. Once you get it home the research starts, even if it's wrong and you haven't spent a fortune you've learnt something and you can move the piece on in a trade.

Ive made numerous mistakes over the years, but learnt so much by actually handling the good and the bad.

and best of luck.

Dave.

Very true. Thanks for your advice Dave, much appreciated. 

Dan

12 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Dan

Hi Dan, 

If you can get all the way round a fair without pulling out your wallet your'e a better man than I.:D

As you look, collect business cards from sellers with items that interest you, you can email them between fairs to see new items, often before they are offered to the general public. You can also  arrange to view a particular item at an upcoming fair. 

There are half a dozen antique shops and a couple of market stalls locally, who get occasional 1914-18 items; so I show my face on a regular basis.

As a regular customer I often get given first refusal on items before they go on sale; I also get given free postcards and other odd small items.

Once you get them trained they may even look out for items at auction with you in mind!  

16 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

If you can get all the way round a fair without pulling out your wallet your'e a better man than I.:D

Never managed that I'm afraid even on a bad day!!

Nice to see somebody else doing it the old fashioned way, sound advice G.W.F.

42 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

and best of luck.

Dave.

I hear quotes that some people will no longer work on Great War prismatic compasses owing to the radio active paint used. Safe if not opened so they say but I sold a 2nd war one and bought a modern version that is safer for actual use.

Howard

46 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Dan, 

As you look, collect business cards from sellers with items that interest you, you can email them between fairs to see new items, often before they are offered to the general public. You can also  arrange to view a particular item at an upcoming fair. 

There are half a dozen antique shops and a couple of market stalls locally, who get occasional 1914-18 items; so I show my face on a regular basis.

As a regular customer I often get given first refusal on items before they go on sale; I also get given free postcards and other odd small items.

Once you get them trained they may even look out for items at auction with you in mind!  

Thanks GWF. These are brilliant tips. Getting some great pearls of wisdom from you older, I mean, experienced chaps😊

And I know what you mean about trying not spend at these fairs. I was there 10 minutes and I'd bought a bayonet, some medal ribbons, a few roac insignias and a tiny little mons star. 

Dan

26 minutes ago, Howard said:

I hear quotes that some people will no longer work on Great War prismatic compasses owing to the radio active paint used. Safe if not opened so they say but I sold a 2nd war one and bought a modern version that is safer for actual use.

Howard

I bought a ww2 pocket watch that has luminous numbers and hands. I'm guessing this is similar? 

Dan

23 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I bought a ww2 pocket watch that has luminous numbers and hands. I'm guessing this is similar? 

Dan

Might be a good idea to check. I doubt they are risky unless they get broken.

Howard

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

Might be a good idea to check. I doubt they are risky unless they get broken.

Howard

Will do Howard. Thanks 

39 minutes ago, Howard said:

Howard

Both radium and asbestos should be treated with care, but if you are aware of the risks you can take precautions. I can't recall when the radium paint stopped being used on watches and compasses, but I'm sure it was well past the 2nd world war.

as mentioned previously I've also read that some watchmakers will refuse to work on a period piece that contain radium.

I remember as a child of the 70s my mother using asbestos oven gloves...all ripped and torn!!!

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

I remember as a child of the 70s my mother using asbestos oven gloves...all ripped and torn!!!

I can't quite find the picture I want, but overlooking Barry in South Wales in the 70's/80's was a railway scrapyard. There's a shot somewhere of a whole heap of them with their external asbestos boiler linings tattered and torn and blowing in the breeze...

386292219barrysummer1977.jpg

Morning...another two:

A scrap of paper.jpg

I believe this one has been hand coloured:

For king and country.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

Here are some "Midget post-cards" which are in an album of cards I bought on eBay . They were given away in the woman's magazine "The Red Letter" published by DC Thomson in Dundee, Scotland, during WW1.

Keith

RedLetter004.jpg

RedLetter015.jpg

RedLetter023.jpg

RedLetter035.jpg

RedLetter040.jpg

RedLetter056.jpg

RedLetter043.jpg

Edited by Scotsmac
Spilling mistakes.

9 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

I can't quite find the picture I want, but overlooking Barry in South Wales in the 70's/80's was a railway scrapyard. There's a shot somewhere of a whole heap of them with their external asbestos boiler linings tattered and torn and blowing in the breeze...

386292219barrysummer1977.jpg

Great atmospheric photo Andrew, thanks for finding it.

who would have thought back then the the wonder material that was asbestos would have caused so much trouble in the future.

Regards,

Dave.

17 minutes ago, Scotsmac said:

Here are some "Midget post-cards" which are in an album of cards I bought on eBay . They were given away in the woman magazine "The Red Letter"published by DC Thomson in Dundee, Scotland, during WW1.

Keith

Thanks Scotsmac. Great cards

Dan

Here are a few from my collection non of which I have bought. They were sent home by my Uncle Waide Reginald Worrall and saved when his house was cleared after the death of my Aunt. 

File3934.jpg

File3939.jpg

File3940.jpg

File3941.jpg

File3945.jpg

File3946.jpg