Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

27 minutes ago, P.Rhodes said:

File3940.jpg

I especially like this one, is great. Thanks for sharing. 

Even more great cards, thanks all.

I have always fancied an original Great War recruitment poster....seen a few online over the years and fairly costly, but have never been sure as to originality as some have been reproduced.

My book chap has a publication purely on the subject and the artwork is stunning at times.

Dave.

41 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Even more great cards, thanks all.

I have always fancied an original Great War recruitment poster....seen a few online over the years and fairly costly, but have never been sure as to originality as some have been reproduced.

My book chap has a publication purely on the subject and the artwork is stunning at times.

Dave.

There's been some crackers so far Dave. Hopefully more people will share there's. I've got a few more to post but was going to do two a day. 

In regards to the posters, I'm with you there. Would love one of those. If my memory serves me right I saw one years ago for £6000.00. This was when I was a lot younger so 15 years or so ago. Obviously the price differs with quality and subject matter. God knows what they would cost now. 

A question I wanted to ask is what you do to insure your collection? I've got some family related items which to me are priceless but my other bits and bobs are starting to mount up. 

Dan

** EDIT** - Just had a quick look online and there are a few at a reasonable price

Edited by Bean tool
New info

7 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

A question I wanted to ask is what you do to insure your collection? I've got some family related items which to me are priceless but my other bits and bobs are starting to mount up. 

Hi dan, 

As with most valuables, a really good contents policy should suffice and I had advice from my son who has dealings with that sort of product. When anything is brought, I make notes as to markings etc, price paid and when just to be on the safe side...that also helps to give a good indication to total value if the worst were to happen....also helps if you ever wanted to trade or move on pieces.

If single objects have a considerable value financially or sentimentally I would also advise backing up with a photo as proof of ownership, and if necessary can be itemised on your policy.

You'll be surprised over the years how prices change, and how much the small bits ad up.

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I wanted to display some family medals and other pieces of theirs however I'm now pondering whether to buy replicas and keep the originals locked away. 

Dan

15 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Dave. I wanted to display some family medals and other pieces of theirs however I'm now pondering whether to buy replicas and keep the originals locked away. 

Dan

I know what you mean, once they're gone they can never be replaced.

Previous generations of my lot sold my grandfathers M.C. and trio....keep checking but never expect to find them, cherish them and pass them on.

Dave.

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

nice photo!

GreyC

6 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Great atmospheric photo Andrew, thanks for finding it.

who would have thought back then the the wonder material that was asbestos would have caused so much trouble in the future.

Photo credit to:

https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/may-1977.html

Something a little earlier:

a-2.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

3 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I know what you mean, once they're gone they can never be replaced.

Previous generations of my lot sold my grandfathers M.C. and trio....keep checking but never expect to find them, cherish them and pass them on.

Dave.

What was the name Dave and I'll keep my eyes open too

Dan

23 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Photo credit to:

https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/may-1977.html

Something a little earlier:

a-2.jpg

No wonder the mortality rate was lower back then....it was everywhere.

certainly have a look at the others.

22 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

What was the name Dave and I'll keep my eyes open too

Dan

Dan,

Frank Cyril Greig R.A.M.C....I posted a topic on here about him so easy to find.

regards and thanks,

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

No wonder the mortality rate was lower back then....it was everywhere.

certainly have a look at the others.

Dan,

Frank Cyril Greig R.A.M.C....I posted a topic on here about him so easy to find.

regards and thanks,

Dave.

Cool Dave. I'll keep them peeled

Dan

Another two......

For king and country2.jpg

One of my favourites - 

Halt.jpg

Cheers all

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

37 minutes ago, GreyC said:

HALT is GREAT!

GreyC

Yes it is, great artwork. Simple but effective. I'd like to know more about it so if anyone has any clues that would be good. I've got another cracker that I'll post tomorrow.

Dan

1 hour ago, Bean tool said:

Morning all,

Another two -

England expects.jpg

Lion - Belgium.jpg

Dan,

love the the top one...brilliant,

All the best,

Dave.

50 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

2 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Morning all,

Another two -

England expects.jpg

Lion - Belgium.jpg

Dan,

love the the top one...brilliant,

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks Dave. When you start your card collection you'll have to let me have a look. Just an fyi I was reading this morning that some of the plastic wallets you store the cards in contain acid which damage them. Not sure what my are so ordered some acid free ones this morning 

Dan

45 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Dave. When you start your card collection you'll have to let me have a look. Just an fyi I was reading this morning that some of the plastic wallets you store the cards in contain acid which damage them. Not sure what my are so ordered some acid free ones this morning 

Dan

Thanks for the tip Dan....always best to ensure correct storage.

I do have some, but more the Daily Mail type where I found a job lot of 30 or so in a charity shop and did a deal...can't for the life of me remember which drawer they're in now though as ephemera and period military manuals are something else I seem to attract.

I did  frame  one I liked, and it sits in a cabinet with Brodie, bayonet and other small bits that I can't be bothered to dust!!!

Dave.

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Thanks for the tip Dan....always best to ensure correct storage.

I do have some, but more the Daily Mail type where I found a job lot of 30 or so in a charity shop and did a deal...can't for the life of me remember which drawer they're in now though as ephemera and period military manuals are something else I seem to attract.

I did  frame  one I liked, and it sits in a cabinet with Brodie, bayonet and other small bits that I can't be bothered to dust!!!

Dave.

image.jpeg

Ah cool Dave. When you've got time I wouldn't mind seeing them. I'm loving this card you've posted. Due to my lack of knowledge I'm unable to discern anything from it (gun, kit etc), have you managed to? Don't know if its just me but the chap looks like he's whistling! 

Cheers Dave. 

Ah cool Dave. When you've got time I wouldn't mind seeing them. I'm loving this card you've posted. Due to my lack of knowledge I'm unable to discern anything from it (gun, kit etc), have you managed to? Don't know if its just me but the chap looks like he's whistling! 

Cheers Dave. 

I'll certainly try and dig them out at some time in the future, but all are fairly common. uniforms not really my thing as Mrs B said she'd divorce me at the first sign of a mannequin in the house....doesn't mind the bayonets etc, and there's only room for one dummy here!!!

The rifle looks to be s.m.l.e with a P1907 attached though, and the picture taken as a silhouette I quite like and sets of a display simply and cheaply. The nighttime shots of the underground mines going off are also worth keeping an eye out for.

And looking, he does seem to be a happy chappy doesn't he!

Looking forward to tomorrow's instalment,

Dave.

15 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I'll certainly try and dig them out at some time in the future, but all are fairly common. uniforms not really my thing as Mrs B said she'd divorce me at the first sign of a mannequin in the house....doesn't mind the bayonets etc, and there's only room for one dummy here!!!

The rifle looks to be s.m.l.e with a P1907 attached though, and the picture taken as a silhouette I quite like and sets of a display simply and cheaply. The nighttime shots of the underground mines going off are also worth keeping an eye out for.

And looking, he does seem to be a happy chappy doesn't he!

Looking forward to tomorrow's instalment,

Dave.

Ha! You know what my mrs said exactly the same thing! No mannequins! I understand though. I wouldn't want a mannequin stuck in the dining room displaying her new purchase from new look. I'm lucky, she likes the cards. She's at the stage where she will actually tell me ones she wants! She works in marketing so finds the moods and ideas the cards express fascinating. 

Dan

Another two -

Greetings.jpg

My favourite of the lot - 

Taming the lion.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

Ha! You know what my mrs said exactly the same thing! No mannequins! I understand though. I wouldn't want a mannequin stuck in the dining room displaying her new purchase from new look. I'm lucky, she likes the cards. She's at the stage where she will actually tell me ones she wants! She works in marketing so finds the moods and ideas the cards express fascinating. 

Dan

Another two -

Greetings.jpg

My favourite of the lot - 

Taming the lion.jpg

Nice to hear about the joint interest, and as postcards don't cost the earth it's a collection that can continue and grow.

Mrs B comes along to the fares with me, and she's been well educated as to what to look for just in case I miss anything....so always good to have our better halves on our sides....saves me sneaking things in, as if I would!!

Another couple of good ones....wet day so may try and find something of interest to post.

Dave.

16 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Nice to hear about the joint interest, and as postcards don't cost the earth it's a collection that can continue and grow.

Mrs B comes along to the fares with me, and she's been well educated as to what to look for just in case I miss anything....so always good to have our better halves on our sides....saves me sneaking things in, as if I would!!

Another couple of good ones....wet day so may try and find something of interest to post.

Dave.

Indeed Dave. I managed to go to an antique shop this morning. They had a few cards in there at a reasonable price. Nothing really nice though. 

Surprisingly the mrs said she would come with me to the fair at Malvern this year. You going Dave?

And id be interested in seeing what you put up, the weather is terrible here also. 

Dan

2 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Indeed Dave. I managed to go to an antique shop this morning. They had a few cards in there at a reasonable price. Nothing really nice though. 

Surprisingly the mrs said she would come with me to the fair at Malvern this year. You going Dave?

And id be interested in seeing what you put up, the weather is terrible here also. 

Dan

Dan,

Found an usual one, not your typical postcard but it does show an interesting part of the enlistment process.

It was given to me by one of my customers who was having a clear out, along with a period photo of a sergeant major Sayer, R.E...see what you think.

I do aim to be at Malvern militaria in March...been saving my pennies, but theres also a large flea market at the same venue in a couple of weeks time and if I spend too much there...ill be on a ban!!!

The militaria is great for bayonets, guns and the bigger stuff, but the flea markets can be a good source for the bits and bobs...usually a good few hundred stalls and takes all day to get round at times.

Dave.

S.S.F.A.Card.jpeg

enjoy the cards, we have a few but not our main theme.

as a hint, for displaying and keeping tidy (the wife is kept happier) , as people don't take photographs and print them nowadays, you can find small postcard size photo albums at car boot sales or cheap in photo shops. ours holds over 100 individually sleeved. advantage is you can put one in and see front then turn over and see back.

only A5 or smaller size and takes up the space of 2 or 3 paperback books .

3 hours ago, chaz said:

enjoy the cards, we have a few but not our main theme.

as a hint, for displaying and keeping tidy (the wife is kept happier) , as people don't take photographs and print them nowadays, you can find small postcard size photo albums at car boot sales or cheap in photo shops. ours holds over 100 individually sleeved. advantage is you can put one in and see front then turn over and see back.

only A5 or smaller size and takes up the space of 2 or 3 paperback books .

very good idea Chaz, come to think of it I think I have one in the attic somewhere....I'm one who still keeps all the old negatives!!