Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I have a card showing a titled RHA officer I bought for £1, I later discovered the officer's identity  when an identical  postcard sold on ebay for £50.

There are plenty of overpriced cards on ebay that have gone unsold for months.  Top of the "greedy" pile are sellers who split postcard/medal collections to maximise profits.

GWF here's that card featuring the three RAMC fellas that I mentioned was found in the back of a book - 

RAMC Photo.jpg

9 hours ago, Dave66 said:

There's a very informative site on Hudson whistles...whistleshop.co.uk which I found invaluable, gives all addresses and history of the general service whistle and its evolution. Well worth a peek on a wet weekend if you're considering buying one as has images of military dated whistles by year going back to before the boer war.

Dave.

I'll be sure to take a look Dave, thanks very much

Dan

Another two - 

B&W King and ship.jpg

John French.jpg

Edited by Bean tool

3 hours ago, Bean tool said:

GWF here's that card featuring the three RAMC fellas that I mentioned was found in the back of a book - 

RAMC Photo.jpg

Nice find Dan, anything written on the card or in the book?

57 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Nice find Dan, anything written on the card or in the book?

No nothing at all. However I believe the owner of the book was one of these gentlemen. The book was published in 1915 and is a pocket sized book given to stretcher bearers in the RAMC. It's title is 'The stretcher bearer' by Georges M Dupuy. It has fantastic photos listing what to do for certain casualties/injuries. 

Cheers 

Dan

37 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

No nothing at all. However I believe the owner of the book was one of these gentlemen. The book was published in 1915 and is a pocket sized book given to stretcher bearers in the RAMC. It's title is 'The stretcher bearer' by Georges M Dupuy. It has fantastic photos listing what to do for certain casualties/injuries. 

Cheers 

Dan

The two together make a really nice find, I'm always looking for period publications like that....that sort of title can fetch good money now, but they give a fascinating insight as to what they had to cope with,

Dave.

5 hours ago, Bean tool said:

RAMC Photo.jpg

Do these men look similar to you? 

12 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

The two together make a really nice find, I'm always looking for period publications like that....that sort of title can fetch good money now, but they give a fascinating insight as to what they had to cope with,

Dave.

The lady I bought the item from had kept the photo and the book together as she had found it. So I will do the same. However I made a bit of a mistake in buying it really. An ancestor was a stretcher bearer for his regiment and so I assumed the book would have been given out to these fellows. But on the first page it says it was to be issued to RAMC stretcher bearers so I don't think he would have seen this. Who knows.

Dan

1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

Do these men look similar to you? 

I thought exactly the same about the lads standing at the back.

Dan 

Edited by Bean tool

3 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

The lady I bought the item from had kept the photo and the book together as she had found it. So I will do the same. However I made a bit of a mistake in buying it really. An ancestor was a stretcher bearer for his regiment and so I assumed the book would have been given out to these fellows. But on the first page it says it was to be issued to RAMC stretcher bearers so I don't think he would have seen this. Who knows. 

A very nice mistake to make!

4 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I thought exactly the same about the lads standing at the back.

Dan 

Especially the two lads standing, the chap at the front could pass for the father/uncle/older brother. 

No pulling rank at home!

5 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Especially the two lads standing, the chap at the front could pass for the father/uncle/older brother. 

No pulling rank at home!

I think you're probably right. All three have very similar eyes. Am I correct in saying they are sergeants? 

Cheers 

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

9 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

All three have very similar eyes. Am I correct in saying they are sergeants? 

Cheers 

Dan

Yup and yup.

48 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

I agree with G.W.F. As I don't mint at all making those mistakes. 

Your relatives would have seen similar publications as part of their training, not impossible they didn't have that one so a keeper if it were mine....I spent an awful lot of time researching my g.f. who was a surgeon, and what all those chaps must have seen wherever they were and whatever rank must have been unimaginable to us today.

Found a card that I find quite interesting as its been through the post...not patriotic but certainly has a personal story.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I agree with G.W.F. As I don't mint at all making those mistakes. 

Your relatives would have seen similar publications as part of their training, not impossible they didn't have that one so a keeper if it were mine....I spent an awful lot of time researching my g.f. who was a surgeon, and what all those chaps must have seen wherever they were and whatever rank must have been unimaginable to us today.

Found a card that I find quite interesting as its been through the post...not patriotic but certainly has a personal story.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Was watching something a while back which said how hard being a stretcher bearer or doctor was on the mind. Due to the fact they weren't there to kill and adrenaline is there to help in that circumstance. I know I wouldn't want to go over the top and then run about trying to save people, without a rifle. It must have been absolutely horrific. 

Dan

46 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Was watching something a while back which said how hard being a stretcher bearer or doctor was on the mind. Due to the fact they weren't there to kill and adrenaline is there to help in that circumstance. I know I wouldn't want to go over the top and then run about trying to save people, without a rifle. It must have been absolutely horrific. 

I remember my mother telling me how strict he was, sadly he died in 65 slightly before I came along so I never knew him but often wondered how the war had effected a man that spent his whole life saving lives...especially when he had to patch up the patched up!

image.png

2 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I remember my mother telling me how strict he was, sadly he died in 65 slightly before I came along so I never knew him but often wondered how the war had effected a man that spent his whole life saving lives...especially when he had to patch up the patched up!

image.png

What a bloke, a chap you want on your side for sure. We will never fathom what they went through. Your grandfather would have had to of played God and helped men he knew he could, rather than waste time on blokes to far gone. I've read that if they were smoking or screaming they were looked at first as they were deemed more likely to survive than blokes who were quiet. Can't remember where I read this or how much truth is in it however it something that makes you think.

Dan

A very good suggestion was made earlier about storing postcards in small photo albums, and in my charity shop trawl this morning in the rain I came across one for a quid. After trawling through the drawers I found the 30 or so I had brought a while back and started to file them....my G.F. was awarded his M.C. In the spring offensive of 1918, in a place called Kemmel which is 6 miles from Ypres, the dressing station was at the chateau and overrun later by German forces....guess what I found??

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

A very good suggestion was made earlier about storing postcards in small photo albums, and in my charity shop trawl this morning in the rain I came across one for a quid. After trawling through the drawers I found the 30 or so I had brought a while back and started to file them....my G.F. was awarded his M.C. In the spring offensive of 1918, in a place called Kemmel which is 6 miles from Ypres, the dressing station was at the chateau and overrun later by German forces....guess what I found??

image.jpeg

A pound! Bargain. 

Is that a photo or sketch Dave? Great card. And with the family tie it's even better. Fair play

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

51 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

it´s a heliotyped photograph.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, I wasn't sure.

all the best,

Dave.

Another two -

Success.jpg

Patched up.jpg

Cheers all

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

2 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Another two -

Success.jpg

Patched up.jpg

Cheers all

Dan

Dan,

That bulldog is just great...id have snapped that up.

Ive got a Goss type China one, thought it quite amusing as the crest was for Barking!!!

All the best,

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Dan,

That bulldog is just great...id have snapped that up.

Ive got a Goss type China one, thought it quite amusing as the crest was for Barking!!!

All the best,

Dave.

Evening Dave.

Hope you're well. 

Excuse my ignorance mate but what's goss type? I'm assuming an ornament? 

Cheers 

Dan

31 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Evening Dave.

Hope you're well. 

Excuse my ignorance mate but what's goss type? I'm assuming an ornament? 

Cheers 

Dan

Hi Dan,

Everything tickets boo thanks....hasn't rained today and the sun was shining.

Goss crested China was plain white cheap ornaments usually with town crests on. Started when train travel became affordable to the masses as popular souvineers, plenty of Great War examples ie tanks, grenades etc...Goss wasn't the only manufacturer.

Not usually my thing, but the bulldog is extremely iconic..."slow to start but what a hold" across his shoulders, and town crest of Barking.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dave66

53 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Hi Dan,

Everything tickets boo thanks....hasn't rained today and the sun was shining.

Goss crested China was plain white cheap ornaments usually with town crests on. Started when train travel became affordable to the masses as popular souvineers, plenty of Great War examples ie tanks, grenades etc...Goss wasn't the only manufacturer.

Not usually my thing, but the bulldog is extremely iconic..."slow to start but what a hold" across his shoulders, and town crest of Barking.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Good mate.

Ah I see. Can't say I've seen these but that's a great one to have. Does it have a date? 

I've got a good bull dog card I'll try and post tomorrow but then I'm pritty much out of cards to post. Was hoping people would have a few they could post also but maybe they're not very collectable. I was reading that the style of cards I've been collecting were not popular with the public after 1915 when the realities of war set in. Maybe there are not that many about now. 

Dan

24 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Good mate.

Ah I see. Can't say I've seen these but that's a great one to have. Does it have a date? 

I've got a good bull dog card I'll try and post tomorrow but then I'm pritty much out of cards to post. Was hoping people would have a few they could post also but maybe they're not very collectable. I was reading that the style of cards I've been collecting were not popular with the public after 1915 when the realities of war set in. Maybe there are not that many about now. 

Dan

Not sure as to date, but certainly Great War era.

I am sure the type of card you collect are very collectable and not too common, in fact I was having a conversation today with my book dealer chum and he said people ring his shop specifically requesting postcards and complete collections, and he continues to be amazed at some of the prices achieved. ...keep it up and grab them if and when they pop up.

looking forward to next instalment.

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Not sure as to date, but certainly Great War era.

I am sure the type of card you collect are very collectable and not too common, in fact I was having a conversation today with my book dealer chum and he said people ring his shop specifically requesting postcards and complete collections, and he continues to be amazed at some of the prices achieved. ...keep it up and grab them if and when they pop up.

looking forward to next instalment.

Dave.

Ah ok Dave. There are more about then! At work till late tomorrow but I'll do my best to get a couple more posted 

Cheers 

Dan