Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

2 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

About 55 years ago I used to raid the dustbins at Kay’s!!! Can,t say why because it’s off topic so better put another postcard on that was sent to Miss Hughes

2CF3131B-3021-408C-B151-D6AF735ACA02.jpeg

All in all, a nice grouping.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Dave.

On 3 March 2018 at 11:25, Bean tool said:

Thanks for posting Wayne. You know these sort of cards are starting to perk my interest a little more now. So much in them 

Dan

Hello Dan,

I love them because I'm also a railway fan and that one was especially poignant because of the link with my poor ancestor.

Here's another one of a narrow gauge (?) loco and carriages in Le Cateau itself.

All the best,

Wayne

image.jpg

9 hours ago, wmfinch said:

Hello Dan,

I love them because I'm also a railway fan and that one was especially poignant because of the link with my poor ancestor.

Here's another one of a narrow gauge (?) loco and carriages in Le Cateau itself.

All the best,

Wayne

image.jpg

Morning Wayne, is that train getting filled with water? Would the pump be underground? Dan

Hello Dan,

The loco is being filled with water.  The water usually flows under pressure to the water column from a tank on top of a water tower, which could be out of the shot.  Pumps are normally used to pump water into the tower, and nowadays, special chemicals are added to the water in the tank to reduce the scale in the locomotives boiler.  Heaven knows if they did it in the old days in France!

All the best,

Wayne

22 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Hello Dan,

The loco is being filled with water.  The water usually flows under pressure to the water column from a tank on top of a water tower, which could be out of the shot.  Pumps are normally used to pump water into the tower, and nowadays, special chemicals are added to the water in the tank to reduce the scale in the locomotives boiler.  Heaven knows if they did it in the old days in France!

All the best,

Wayne

I see. Cheers Wayne. I wonder why they did it that way and not put the tank underground with a pump to force it up. Maybe easier to build a tower than dig a pit for a tank? 

11 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

here is an example from WW2. Watertower at right edge of the photo.

GreyC

EisenbahnWasserspenderkl.jpg.67a8fb21231ea9b52bcc88146e495746.jpg

Cheers grey

These old images are just brilliant,

Very much the type of engineering I understand, and far easier and far more robust than the computerised rubbish that's around now.

Dave.

6 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

These old images are just brilliant,

Very much the type of engineering I understand, and far easier and far more robust than the computerised rubbish that's around now.

Dave.

Indeed. Can you imagine the amount of sensors required to get water into a train nowadays?! We need a few meetings and brainstorms that's for sure! Did you spot the old wheelbarrows on the right hand side? 

6 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Indeed. Can you imagine the amount of sensors required to get water into a train nowadays?! We need a few meetings and brainstorms that's for sure! Did you spot the old wheelbarrows on the right hand side? 

I did spot the old stuff....looks like our allotments!!!

If it weren't for the German uniform in grey's photo, you'd assume a tranquil, idyllic and more peaceful time.

Dave.

5 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I did spot the old stuff....looks like our allotments!!!

If it weren't for the German uniform in grey's photo, you'd assume a tranquil, idyllic and more peaceful time.

Dave.

It's very ominous that's for sure Dave. 

Hi Dan,

Not sure why steam railways the world over use water towers instead of underground tanks and pumps.  Go to any preserved steam railway in Britain and you'll see a water tower at most large stations.

Mind you, this loco appears to have gone way off the rails!  No wheels, no water tanks and lots of holes.  Perhaps it was used for target practice by the RFA guys?

All the best,

Wayne

Wayneimage.jpg.5928b7da9a3b3c0b415091ea14842d17.jpg

4 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Hi Dan,

Not sure why steam railways the world over use water towers instead of underground tanks and pumps.  Go to any preserved steam railway in Britain and you'll see a water tower at most large stations.

Mind you, this loco appears to have gone way off the rails!  No wheels, no water tanks and lots of holes.  Perhaps it was used for target practice by the RFA guys?

All the best,

Wayne

That good old British sense of humour, 

very nice Wayne.

59 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Hi Dan,

All the best,

Wayne

Hmm interesting. After further thinking it might be due to the speed of the pumps and keeping the trains to their timetables. Using gravity would probably be quicker than pumping it up from a tank. Then when the train has gone the pumps can take as long as they need to get it back up to the water tower. Anywho I digress!

Another good card Wayne. Does look like that train has taken a battering. The chaps look happy though, especially the 'driver'! 

What's the large vertical object on the extreme right of the pic?

Cheers

Dan

4 hours ago, wmfinch said:

Not sure why steam railways the world over use water towers instead of underground tanks and pumps

Gravity does the work for you with a tower, says my Severn Valley Railway volunteer other half :)

13 hours ago, seaJane said:

Gravity does the work for you with a tower, says my Severn Valley Railway volunteer other half :)

Off topic - pardon. But SJ, tell your other half that I used to travel the Hartlebury-Bewdley-Hartlebury bit every day for school... I am certain it was steam at first, 1961/1962/63, but then diesel...

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Off topic - pardon. But SJ, tell your other half that I used to travel the Hartlebury-Bewdley-Hartlebury bit every day for school... I am certain it was steam at first, 1961/1962/63, but then diesel...

My Pops was born in the late 20's, and was a huge steam buff.

Gentle man who only ever hated two things in life....Diesel Trains and Beeching!!!

Here's one of Bruce bairnsfathers, from series 3.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

image.jpeg

This one of yours Dave? Haven't seen this series before. Great drawing

Dan

2 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

This one of yours Dave? Haven't seen this series before. Great drawing

Dan

Hello Dan,

Its one of six I brought of an old boy down the allotments years ago, I filed them away in a plain white envelope and they worked their way further down the draw...only just found them.

They released either 7 or 8 series of these, each consisting of six cards, I think starting in 1915 and continuing into 1916, in conjunction with bairnsfathers popular fragments from France...featuring old bill.

Quite a few on that favourite online marketplace if you search for Bruce bairnsfather.

Dave.

5 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Hello Dan,

Its one of six I brought of an old boy down the allotments years ago, I filed them away in a plain white envelope and they worked their way further down the draw...only just found them.

They released either 7 or 8 series of these, each consisting of six cards, I think starting in 1915 and continuing into 1916, in conjunction with bairnsfathers popular fragments from France...featuring old bill.

Quite a few on that favourite online marketplace if you search for Bruce bairnsfather.

Dave.

Cool Dave. I look forward to seeing the rest you have. 

Things will be ramping up on your allotment soon. Will keep you busy!

Dan

12 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Cool Dave. I look forward to seeing the rest you have. 

Things will be ramping up on your allotment soon. Will keep you busy!

Dan

Here's another, this time from series 2.

As I'm now a full time gardener, the allotment is a little sad.

only keep it for the asparagus, blackcurrants and Bramley apples....oh, and the shed, can't do without the shed!

post a couple more tomorrow,

Dave.

Would help if I attached the image....

image.jpeg

On 5 March 2018 at 23:20, Bean tool said:

Hmm interesting. After further thinking it might be due to the speed of the pumps and keeping the trains to their timetables. Using gravity would probably be quicker than pumping it up from a tank. Then when the train has gone the pumps can take as long as they need to get it back up to the water tower. Anywho I digress!

Another good card Wayne. Does look like that train has taken a battering. The chaps look happy though, especially the 'driver'! 

What's the large vertical object on the extreme right of the pic?

Cheers

Dan

To be honest, I think it is a flaw in the photo ha ha!

21 hours ago, Dave66 said:

image.jpeg

Dave66, I have the exact same postcard that was sent to my maternal grandfather here in Canada by a friend in England!

Below is another card sent by the same friend.

1916Postcard.png

26 minutes ago, Keith Brannen said:

Dave66, I have the exact same postcard that was sent to my maternal grandfather here in Canada by a friend in England!

Below is another card sent by the same friend.

1916Postcard.png

Keith,

Your Donald McGill is good...like it, and the bairnsfather ones must have proved popular, the irony and the humour typically British.

All the best,

Dave