11 minutes ago, GreyC said:

I really like the last one!

GreyC

Ditto...very nice Dan.

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Ditto...very nice Dan.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. In reference to this particular card do you think the Kaiser is scared or demonised by the cartoonist? I can't make up my mind. 

Dan

15 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Dave. In reference to this particular card do you think the Kaiser is scared or demonised by the cartoonist? I can't make up my mind. 

Dan

I think the cartoonist has done a very good propoganda job on him, certainly demonised, with the British bulldog looking firm yet fair..and well above the Kaiser.

The kaisers eyes look like something out of a hammer horror film....or me years ago after a lock in that lasted too long!!!

Dave.

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I think the cartoonist has done a very good propoganda job on him, certainly demonised, with the British bulldog looking firm yet fair..and well above the Kaiser.

The kaisers eyes look like something out of a hammer horror film....or me years ago after a lock in that lasted too long!!!

Dave.

You do have to wonder if they had a brief or whether they had free reign to create what they liked. I know they wouldn't have wanted to demonise the enemy too much incase it created fear.

I hear you on your eyes comment!! When you leave and didn't realise it was light outside!!

Dan

24 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

You do have to wonder if they had a brief or whether they had free reign to create what they liked. I know they wouldn't have wanted to demonise the enemy too much incase it created fear.

I hear you on your eyes comment!! When you leave and didn't realise it was light outside!!

Dan

I think during both wars propoganda played a huge part, hence all the patriotic ephemera....certainly encouraged enlistment after the stories of baby killing etc, fear would encourage revenge in times of war and thus a certain amount of fear...mixed with the good old British spirit was favoured by the powers that be, how else would they keep replacing those poor souls that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Dave.

34 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I think during both wars propoganda played a huge part, hence all the patriotic ephemera....certainly encouraged enlistment after the stories of baby killing etc, fear would encourage revenge in times of war and thus a certain amount of fear...mixed with the good old British spirit was favoured by the powers that be, how else would they keep replacing those poor souls that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Dave.

Indeed. Some of the one liners they put on these postcards or posters was extremely clever. The one that sticks in my mind is of the father sat with his children with the line 'daddy what did you do in the war?' 

There's a very short but very interesting documentary on YouTube about WW1 propaganda. 

Dan

15 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Indeed. Some of the one liners they put on these postcards or posters was extremely clever. The one that sticks in my mind is of the father sat with his children with the line 'daddy what did you do in the war?' 

There's a very short but very interesting documentary on YouTube about WW1 propaganda. 

Dan

It certainly makes for a very interesting collecting field...I have a couple of books entitled "the happy warrior" 1915 and 1916, in which there is a daily religious verse..thou shalt not drink but do your countries duty is on example, and I never cease to be amazed by the irony of the title and the content.

They certainly knew how to manipulate.....and over a century later were still falling for the some old stunts, don't suppose it will ever change.

all the best,

Dave

13 hours ago, Dave66 said:

It certainly makes for a very interesting collecting field...I have a couple of books entitled "the happy warrior" 1915 and 1916, in which there is a daily religious verse..thou shalt not drink but do your countries duty is on example, and I never cease to be amazed by the irony of the title and the content.

They certainly knew how to manipulate.....and over a century later were still falling for the some old stunts, don't suppose it will ever change.

all the best,

Dave

It does make you wonder Dave. I'd like to do some reading on the 'appetite' for war and whether this altered over the four years. In WW2 the blitz was meant to shatter moral amongst the public however it seemed to do the opposite. Did the general public in 1918 have the same drive and determination as the one in 1914?

In regards to the cards I do know that there was a dramatic shift from the jovial cards of 1914/15 to more family orientated cards (I miss you, best of luck etc) in 1916. Maybe the propaganda had been seen through for what it actually was.

Intereting stuff!

Dan

Not sure if this fits here (apologies if it doesn't) but it is one of the few pictures I have ever bought off E-bay. No idea who he and the baby girl are. "Mum" is written on the back, which is printed up as a postcard, with the name of a photographer in Ramsgate.

IMG_20180211_110351.jpg

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Not sure if this fits here (apologies if it doesn't) but it is one of the few pictures I have ever bought off E-bay. No idea who he and the baby girl are. "Mum" is written on the back, which is printed up as a postcard, with the name of a photographer in Ramsgate.

IMG_20180211_110351.jpg

Afternoon Seajane,

Of course your post is welcome on this thread. Any postcard or poster. However I have been reading another thread called 'Postcards' which seem to deal more with the photo postcards so if you're after more information about the chap or uniform they're the guys to try.

Thanks for sharing

Dan

I´d "read" the postcard indifferent terms. Just heard the news on the radio and so much disturbing stuff is going on in the world. Even more so then and I wonder if the sailor was musing about in what world his daughter was born into she looks so puzzeled at and if he would see her grow up (to experience yet another disastruos war).

GreyC

He does look very proud of her though. And she has probably been bundled into all those frills specially for the photo. :)

11 minutes ago, seaJane said:

He does look very proud of her though. And she has probably been bundled into all those frills specially for the photo. :)

Id like to think he had a "good war", and saw her grow into a fine young lady with a family of her own....sadly cards like this are sometimes the only connection a child had with a father.

That photograph would have meant a day out in days gone by, a proper excuse for a new outfit.

Lovely Card SeaJane.

Dave.

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Id like to think he had a "good war", and saw her grow into a fine young lady with a family of her own....

Me too Dave. He does look very proud.

Dan

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

IMG_20180211_110351.jpg

Just read this again Seajane. You do have to wonder whether 'mum' written on the back is actually in reference to the little baby? I guess we'll never know however if it is she did then go on to have a family of her own. I'm just thinking aloud and am probably wrong!

Dan

I think you're probably right, Dan :)

9 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I think you're probably right, Dan :)

Ah that's nice. Thanks Seajane 

Dan

Hi,

one war on silks/embroided cards seem still to have been popular. This one in German says "Souvenier from Lorient" where the Germans had a large submarine base.

GreyC

Silk_Lorient2WK_kl.jpg.c89966a681b7812efdc8eb4fc2fc6af5.jpg

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

one war on silks/embroided cards seem still to have been popular. This one in German says "Souvenier from Lorient" where the Germans had a large submarine base.

GreyC

Silk_Lorient2WK_kl.jpg.c89966a681b7812efdc8eb4fc2fc6af5.jpg

I've never seen a German silk, didn't even realise that they used them! Is Lorient in Belgium? Thanks GreyC

Dan

France, Dan.

9 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Yup,

France it is. Here a view of part of the base.

GreyC

UbootLorient02kl.jpg.c1bffa165e0d8b0ea28cae691ccb0a64.jpg

Nice detailed photo, I do like these old images.

Two weeks ago I sorted out draws and found a solitary silk card I couldn't even remember I had...came to post it this evening and I can't remember where I've put it😣....and no drink in the week!!!

try and find it again tomorrow...if I remember to look.

Dave

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

France, Dan.

Thanks Seajane.

Does anyone else think it's a little odd to see a card made by French women for German soldiers? I guess times were extremely hard and so money was money. Was Lorient under German control for long?

Dan