Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Nice detailed photo, I do like these old images.

Two weeks ago I sorted out draws and found a solitary silk card I couldn't even remember I had...came to post it this evening and I can't remember where I've put it😣....and no drink in the week!!!

try and find it again tomorrow...if I remember to look.

Dave

Haha! 

Needs must, I suppose. Or perhaps he was young and she felt sorry for him.(Warning: Writer at Work!)

9 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Was Lorient under German control for long?

Good morning,

25th June 1940-10th May 1945. The US Army helped. After that it was time to live the entant cordiale again.5a8290365d958_Pragekarte_USAkl.jpg.035cc1d679331b7d025d5e3c4db75667.jpg5a829037ccfd3_Prage_Foto_KarteEntantCordialekl.jpg.58e50f626f733144d31d7a9146605ded.jpg

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

13 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Seajane.

Does anyone else think it's a little odd to see a card made by French women for German soldiers? I guess times were extremely hard and so money was money. Was Lorient under German control for long?

Dan 

I think it depends on whether you knew beforehand that the Germans were going to lose the War. 

37 minutes ago, Interested said:

I think it depends on whether you knew beforehand that the Germans were going to lose the War. 

I guess so. Did the Germans even get as far as Lorient in WW1? 

Dan

4 hours ago, GreyC said:

Good morning,

25th June 1940-10th May 1945. The US Army helped. After that it was time to live the entant cordiale again.5a8290365d958_Pragekarte_USAkl.jpg.035cc1d679331b7d025d5e3c4db75667.jpg5a829037ccfd3_Prage_Foto_KarteEntantCordialekl.jpg.58e50f626f733144d31d7a9146605ded.jpg

GreyC

The top one is great GreyC. Thanks

Dan

1 hour ago, Bean tool said:

A couple more:

Sticking to his post.jpg

Got him!.jpg

Another fine pair Dan, the bottom one I particularly like....you're going to need a bigger album soon!

Dave.

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

Needs must, I suppose. Or perhaps he was young and she felt sorry for him.(Warning: Writer at Work!)

Always a story to be told...keep on writing!

There's a Pal called Kate who would be interested in that - she researches concert parties.

13 minutes ago, Howard said:

Not really a card but I thought this hand made programme was interesting.

Howard

Card-outside.jpg

Card-inside.jpg

Howard,

what an interesting piece of ephemera...original pieces like that are a fascinating little snapshot of the era...love it.

Have you found out where 4th field ambulance was on Christmas Day 1915?

Dave.

46 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Another fine pair Dan, the bottom one I particularly like....you're going to need a bigger album soon!

Dave.

Always a story to be told...keep on writing!

Thanks Dave. Had a bit of bad luck this week. Had purchased a couple more and was awaiting delivery however the chap I'd bought them from had a small fire and lost his whole collection. Is sad they won't be seen again.

Dan

42 minutes ago, Howard said:

Not really a card but I thought this hand made programme was interesting.

Howard

Card-outside.jpg

Card-inside.jpg

This is amazing Howard. What a great insight

Dan

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Howard,

what an interesting piece of ephemera...original pieces like that are a fascinating little snapshot of the era...love it.

Have you found out where 4th field ambulance was on Christmas Day 1915?

Dave.

They were part of the Guards Division, not sure where they were, possibly refitting etc. after Loos in September

Howard

3 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Thanks Dave. Had a bit of bad luck this week. Had purchased a couple more and was awaiting delivery however the chap I'd bought them from had a small fire and lost his whole collection. Is sad they won't be seen again.

So very sorry to hear that...sad for all those concerned.

Found that card....colours still vibrant, 

Fairly plain, but it symbolises hope after years of uncertainty and misery.

Id liked to have been there at that party!!!

Dave

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

So very sorry to hear that...sad for all those concerned.

Found that card....colours still vibrant, 

Fairly plain, but it symbolises hope after years of uncertainty and misery.

Id liked to have been there at that party!!!

Dave

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brilliant card Dave. Great message also, happier times

Dan

1 hour ago, P.Rhodes said:

Another one from my collection, sent to an Aunt of mine, by an admirer, before she met my Father's Brother, Leonard Rhodes.5a884a6e8a53a_WW1silkpctoMay002001.jpg.21b61e6de224cac155186c2e146107fe.jpg

Great card, thanks for sharing

Dan

3 hours ago, P.Rhodes said:

Another one from my collection, sent to an Aunt of mine, by an admirer, before she met my Father's Brother, Leonard Rhodes.5a884a6e8a53a_WW1silkpctoMay002001.jpg.21b61e6de224cac155186c2e146107fe.jpg

So nice to have the family connection, and the small forget-me-not I like.

Thanks for posting them....no pun intended!!

Dave.

17 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

A couple of silks - 

Silk - 1918.jpg

Silk - Wheelbarrow.jpg

Dan,

like the the top one...colours still vibrant, 

I saw shoe boxes full of postcards the other day in an expensive antique shop, only had enough time for a very quick peek (parking meter running out) but Didn't see any Great War....may go back when time permits, you never know.

Dave.

38 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Dan,

like the the top one...colours still vibrant, 

I saw shoe boxes full of postcards the other day in an expensive antique shop, only had enough time for a very quick peek (parking meter running out) but Didn't see any Great War....may go back when time permits, you never know.

Dave.

Cheers Dave.

Yeah definetly worth going back for another look. I'd imagine they would do you a deal if you bought a few. I was thinking of going to Hay on Wye soon. They've got a fair few antique shops there where I've picked up some nice bits. You ever been? 

Dan

5 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Cheers Dave.

Yeah definetly worth going back for another look. I'd imagine they would do you a deal if you bought a few. I was thinking of going to Hay on Wye soon. They've got a fair few antique shops there where I've picked up some nice bits. You ever been? 

Dan

I've been, but 30 plus years ago and my interest then was not books but a young lass....that sounds bad doesn't it, 

Stayed at the toll bridge at Whitney on Wye with a mate as his uncle had a caravan we stayed in for the summer.....just down the road from the Baskerville arms, happy days.

Dave.

On the 1818 victorious new year one, is there something behind the silk???

possible Brucey bonus tucked between the silk and the card backing....I can see an outline of a smaller card, and some old faded ink behind the holly leaves.

Edited by Dave66
Typo

9 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I've been, but 30 plus years ago and my interest then was not books but a young lass....that sounds bad doesn't it, 

Stayed at the toll bridge at Whitney on Wye with a mate as his uncle had a caravan we stayed in for the summer.....just down the road from the Baskerville arms, happy days.

Dave.

Not at all Dave! That's probably a better reason to go 😉