Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

40 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Christmas Card sent from Ypres in 1917 and all the Postcards sent to Miss Hilda Maisey of 44 St Paul's Street North, Cheltenham by Private Reginald Wilfred Evans 1/5 Gloucestershire Regt.  Reginald was an ancestor of mine and was KIA on 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to get married.  The wedding Banns were read for 3 consecutive Sundays at St Paul's Church, Cheltenham, after he had been killed.  So sad, but the artefacts are held at the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.

V/R

Wayne 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is very moving Wayne. Poor Hilda. Reginald would have probably known my George who was also in the 1/5th. DOW 16/06/18. RIP both. 

Thanks for sharing

Dan

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

Dan, was it Spanish?

Wayne, what a superb display and what tragic story!

GreyC

Well it was in an antique shop near me listed under Spanish postcards. There were quite a few actually. Many depicted a Spanish woman in traditional dress with those little Spanish musical clicker thingys! Castonets is it? I wondered at the time why there would be so many in an English antique shop. 

Where did you pick yours up? 

Dan

1 hour ago, wmfinch said:

Christmas Card sent from Ypres in 1917 and all the Postcards sent to Miss Hilda Maisey of 44 St Paul's Street North, Cheltenham by Private Reginald Wilfred Evans 1/5 Gloucestershire Regt.  Reginald was an ancestor of mine and was KIA on 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to get married.  The wedding Banns were read for 3 consecutive Sundays at St Paul's Church, Cheltenham, after he had been killed.  So sad, but the artefacts are held at the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.

V/R

Wayne 

image.jpg

image.jpg

48 th division card is certainly something special, and with the personal story attached it makes the whole collection very poignant.

Such a sad outcome....but at least his story hasn't been forgotten.

Dave.

1 minute ago, Dave66 said:

48 th division card is certainly something special, and with the personal story attached it makes the whole collection very poignant.

Such a sad outcome....but at least his story hasn't been forgotten.

Dave.

Yeah that card is great

Dan

4 minutes ago, GreyC said:

An antique market in Newcastle.

GreyC

I wonder if it has anything to do with the civil war? 

Dan

IMG_20180228_211501.jpg

Forgot to add any text, sorry - AGAMEMNON was my grandfather's ship.

12 minutes ago, seaJane said:

IMG_20180228_211501.jpg

Great card SJ. Theres so many with Jellicoe, he must have been extremely popular. The family connection makes the card even better. Thanks for posting

Dan

Thank you Dan :)

I suppose Jellicoe was to the Navy what Churchill was to Britain a few decades later.

sJ

3 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Thank you Dan :)

I suppose Jellicoe was to the Navy what Churchill was to Britain a few decades later.

sJ

Indeed. I do get the feeling he didnt entirely enjoy that position in the way Churchill did. I could be wrong and have no proof but there's something in his pictures which make me think he was a little uncomfortable with it all

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

I don't know very much about him, but I get the feeling he wasn't the same sort of personality by any means.

1 hour ago, P.Rhodes said:

This is the last of my silk cards, sent to my Aunt, 'To May from Dick'  keep em coming.5a99608418597_WW1silkpctoMayfromDick001.jpg.5cf286dd1ecdea8d8f2847f05636f08b.jpg

Thanks for sharing your last card. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread but I'm running out of cards to post now! Hopefully someone with a collection will see this and decide to post a few!!

Thanks again

Dan

Another few:

So these cards form part of a 5 card set that was released. I'm missing two. One featuring the King and one with Churchill. If anyone sees these available somewhere please let me know!

Cheers 

Dan 

French 2.jpg

Jellicoe 3.jpg

Kitchener 3.jpg

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

hope you´ll get the chance to complete the set.

GreyC

Thanks Grey! I'll get lucky one day

Dan

1 hour ago, Bean tool said:

Another few:

So these cards form part of a 5 card set that was released. I'm missing two. One featuring the King and one with Churchill. If anyone sees these available somewhere please let me know!

Cheers 

Dan 

French 2.jpg

Jellicoe 3.jpg

Kitchener 3.jpg

Nice cards Dan, 

Eyes are peeled, the Churchill card is probably the one everybody wants though, but best of luck.

Kind Regards,

Dave.

8 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Nice cards Dan, 

Eyes are peeled, the Churchill card is probably the one everybody wants though, but best of luck.

Kind Regards,

Dave.

Indeed Dave. Never seen one for sale before.

Cheers mate

Dan

Saint Souplet Railway Station on the Le Cateau to Wassigny line in France (now disused).  Situated just south of St Benin.  Private Reginald Wilfred Evans (please see previous Postcards), was killed by an artillery explosion emerging from a railway embankment along the line just north of St Benin.  Soon after this photo was taken, the German Army occupied St Souplet and the Station was badly damaged.

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

16 hours ago, wmfinch said:

Saint Souplet Railway Station on the Le Cateau to Wassigny line in France (now disused).  Situated just south of St Benin.  Private Reginald Wilfred Evans (please see previous Postcards), was killed by an artillery explosion emerging from a railway embankment along the line just north of St Benin.  Soon after this photo was taken, the German Army occupied St Souplet and the Station was badly damaged.

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

Thanks for posting Wayne. You know these sort of cards are starting to perk my interest a little more now. So much in them 

Dan

Posted this before in another section but have added the last two cards from E bay since......

23FFE1A1-B3DA-4DBD-854C-182391135996.jpeg

153AB494-6A0E-4A8F-A957-A6B8D0CE4F12.jpeg

FFDF3A30-2BA8-4807-8B76-6E9E5C2FD198.jpeg

7C618552-AF77-47DB-BAFF-ECDCDA5E291B.jpeg

98D70B5A-D5C8-47C2-97A3-1650D0BF4044.jpeg

Edited by gilbo139

36 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Posted this before in another section but have added the last two cards from E bay since......

23FFE1A1-B3DA-4DBD-854C-182391135996.jpeg

153AB494-6A0E-4A8F-A957-A6B8D0CE4F12.jpeg

FFDF3A30-2BA8-4807-8B76-6E9E5C2FD198.jpeg

7C618552-AF77-47DB-BAFF-ECDCDA5E291B.jpeg

98D70B5A-D5C8-47C2-97A3-1650D0BF4044.jpeg

That's what I call an unusual card!

very nice indeed....did you get it locally?...if so, how comes I missed it😢.

The card with the remains on was given to me probably 20 years ago, the other two were from E bay....of course it’s more interesting to us perhaps because Leefe Robinson was Worcestershire Regiment at one point!