Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

22 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Sorry Dave, I missed your post. 

As you can see the items are a mix of Nicholson and Brown, from Easington, Co.Durham. Here is William Brown left and Nicholson right;  William Brown is rear left in the third card, "Brown Family Wedding, Easington".

William Brown, Co.Dhm. .jpg

Wm. Nicholson. 10th DLI. Co.Dhm..jpg

Scan_20170827 (4).jpg

I like the whole collection, 

Always nice to find a grouping like this with the photos as well, putting a face to these people and researching the history is extremely rewarding and, to me, the best bit.

So many times I see collections like this split and sold separately, so extremely refreshing to see they have remained together.

Dave.

36 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I like the whole collection, 

Always nice to find a grouping like this with the photos as well, putting a face to these people and researching the history is extremely rewarding and, to me, the best bit.

So many times I see collections like this split and sold separately, so extremely refreshing to see they have remained together.

Dave.

Cheers.

Sometimes I pay a bit extra to keep collections together, sometimes I send a gentle prod to online sellers looking to maximize profit by splitting them up; some regroup the items and relist, some take great offence.

8 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Cheers.

Sometimes I pay a bit extra to keep collections together, sometimes I send a gentle prod to online sellers looking to maximize profit by splitting them up; some regroup the items and relist, some take great offence.

I agree with paying a little extra, 

Once the research has been done properly, the value rises anyway...and a grouping with history is far more commercial than odd bits and bobs.

I brought a large ephemera grouping a while back to a R.N. Surgeon, his career spanned ww2 through to Korea...there were some very boring medical official booklets that Would have had a very limited market, 

and some extremely interesting medical reports and period data on the damage after the first nuclear bombs and the effect on the human body, with case notes on 3 hiroshima survivors...Absolutley fascinating reading, but the worthless bits added so much to the whole story.

Dave.

I have quite a few post cards that belonged to my Uncle, W. R. Worrall, some were sent home and some don't have any post mark. About 15 of them have the censor stamp and 'on active service' written on them. The ones that, in my opinion, are patriotic I have already posted. This one isn't what I think is patriotic so if it is thought to be unsuitable for this topic please tell me and I won't post any more. Cheers, Peter

File3875.jpg

File3875A.jpg

2 hours ago, P.Rhodes said:

I have quite a few post cards that belonged to my Uncle, W. R. Worrall, some were sent home and some don't have any post mark. About 15 of them have the censor stamp and 'on active service' written on them. The ones that, in my opinion, are patriotic I have already posted. This one isn't what I think is patriotic so if it is thought to be unsuitable for this topic please tell me and I won't post any more. Cheers, Peter

File3875.jpg

File3875A.jpg

Post away Peter. The more the merrier. Thanks for sharing. Dan

On 3/10/2018 at 17:17, Dave66 said:

I agree with paying a little extra, 

Once the research has been done properly, the value rises anyway...and a grouping with history is far more commercial than odd bits and bobs.

I brought a large ephemera grouping a while back to a R.N. Surgeon, his career spanned ww2 through to Korea...there were some very boring medical official booklets that Would have had a very limited market, 

and some extremely interesting medical reports and period data on the damage after the first nuclear bombs and the effect on the human body, with case notes on 3 hiroshima survivors...Absolutley fascinating reading, but the worthless bits added so much to the whole story.

Dave.

Are you prepared to name the surgeon, Dave? Personal message if you like - I work for the RN Medical Service.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Are you prepared to name the surgeon, Dave? Personal message if you like - I work for the RN Medical Service.

Hello there seajane,

his name was surgeon lt commander Thomas Sinclair Stewart....born 1914...hams eaglet 1950.

quite happy to share any info if it proves interesting.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, not who I thought it might be, but he certainly had some very illustrious colleagues! 

I'll let you know if I find out anything - thanks for the PM :)

Three cards from the Zeebrugge set. Scan_20170621 (7).jpg

Scan_20170722 (18).jpg

Scan_20170722 (19).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

23 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Thanks Dave, not who I thought it might be, but he certainly had some very illustrious colleagues! 

I'll let you know if I find out anything - thanks for the PM :)

Sounds intriguing...would greatly appreciate some help....not much I can find apart from navy lists, and no census released yet.

i have scanned the interesting parts of the course notes if you're interested.

Dave.

13 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Three cards from the Zeebrugge set. Scan_20170621 (7).jpg

Scan_20170722 (18).jpg

Scan_20170722 (19).jpg

Great images GWF, 

especially the last one...they might get their feet wet in the dark!

Dave.

24 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

D3732DB0-F41B-40BC-8263-C3E234EB7F41.jpeg

Yes...somewhat significant date, and love the name, very nice all in all Gilbo.

Dave.

File3881.jpg.54b3fc0623d091edfee74984a0192edd.jpgFile3881A.jpg.4e405c2ec04596ddc59cd2673a5adf9f.jpgFile3882.jpg.909e575e1c1ac78b72fc859ce969296e.jpgFile3882A.jpg.840c4b5330852867508fb3f3597e7501.jpg Another two sent home by my Uncle Reg, the building in the 2nd pc is another view of the building in post #330. At this time Reg was a stretcher bearer in the 3rd West Riding Field Ambulance. Cheers, Peter

19 minutes ago, P.Rhodes said:

File3881.jpg.54b3fc0623d091edfee74984a0192edd.jpgFile3881A.jpg.4e405c2ec04596ddc59cd2673a5adf9f.jpgFile3882.jpg.909e575e1c1ac78b72fc859ce969296e.jpgFile3882A.jpg.840c4b5330852867508fb3f3597e7501.jpg Another two sent home by my Uncle Reg, the building in the 2nd pc is another view of the building in post #330. At this time Reg was a stretcher bearer in the 3rd West Riding Field Ambulance. Cheers, Peter

Peter,

So nice to be able to see he was sent his cigarettes, and interesting to note he requested soap, I had always assumed this would have been supplied freely...an interesting little window into the real hardships of the trenches.

Dave.

Here's an enamelled plaque depicting ole bill, I think this must have been made by an injured servicemen at one of the workshops to aid recovery....any thoughts extremely welcome.

I have only ever seen another back in 2012 which came up on eBay, that seller had been collecting for thirty years and had amassed a grand total of 2.

Quite amateurish, with the background colour similar to the old bill bus in the I.W.M. can't find anything else out.

Dave.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

A couple of emotive cards.

Scan_20170702 (4).jpg

Scan_20170722 (17).jpg

The top one is excellent GWF, very sad, somebody's son, husband and father.

The state sponsored message is still simple and controling...nice example.

Dave.

Another one from Reg, this time an army post office stamp, on active service and censors signature. More next week, PeterFile3883A.jpg.056b54d91b6701229f1d3e3e6227a99c.jpgFile3883.jpg.af0bba209775930c091b961627436d95.jpg