Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

20 hours ago, seaJane said:

This arrived in my in-box today and I thought you all might be interested: http://museumcrush.org/from-your-soldier-boy-silk-postcards-of-the-first-world-war/.

Thanks seaJane, some nice ones on there.

Dave.

File3899.jpg.eacd9ea44211b55d4f0d910cf35d218a.jpgFile3899A.jpg.4501260440f97705d3a54a7b98a7c4c4.jpg

This PC, sent by my Uncle Reg to his Mother, mentions 'the leadswinger' . This was a satirical publication that was actually produced in France by the members of the 1/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance. I have volume 1 in my possession that includes the 1st 6 issues. Cheers, Peter

I'm currently collecting Scots guards pieces but they seem to rarely appear and when they do the price seems to have gone up horrendously! 

Here's another pc sent home by Reg to his Mother, again he mentions the 'Leadswinger'. The censor stamp shapes/colours are varying.  I have found this Chateau on Google earth and can identify some features [corner tower and chimney] but the building appears to have been re modelled, if indeed it is the same one. Cheers, PeterFile3900.jpg.0e4941dc8b359289d474f60d43f5c51c.jpgFile3900A.jpg.4468378c5ca0b703f6564cedc914b320.jpg

"Camp silhouette series, No.5.   Photochrom Co. Ltd. Tunbridge Wells"

Scan_20180413.jpg

1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

"Camp silhouette series, No.5.   Photochrom Co. Ltd. Tunbridge Wells"

Scan_20180413.jpg

That's a nice one GWF.

went back to that antique shop yesterday where I spotted boxes of postcards, and being as though it was yet again wet and horrible I thought I'd take the time to go through them.....four shoe boxes, and not one of any military or patriotic interest!!!, could have saved a pound on the parking!

Regards to all,

Dave.

9 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

That's a nice one GWF.

went back to that antique shop yesterday where I spotted boxes of postcards, and being as though it was yet again wet and horrible I thought I'd take the time to go through them.....four shoe boxes, and not one of any military or patriotic interest!!!, could have saved a pound on the parking!

Regards to all,

Dave.

I went through three photo albums of cards to find that one. You never know what you'll find until you look.

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I went through three photo albums of cards to find that one. You never know what you'll find until you look.

I have to admit the rummage can be the fun bit...but I scoured two towns yesterday, charity and antique shops, and could not find one thing even remotely connected to the great war (or any other) that wasn't messed around with or covered in dust and been there for years because of astronomic pricing....maybe better luck next time.

Dave.

33 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I have to admit the rummage can be the fun bit...

Too true, 

I was in Bristol last weekend and my lad took me to a shop he thought I might like.  I asked the manager if he had any Great War items; he was doubtful,  then surprised when I found four cap badges, a pair of German trench art shell casings, a single French trench art casing, a trenched British 18lb casing, a Turkish button, a German combatants honour cross, and a square edged No.2 Autographic Brownie camera, made 1915-17.

It only got better when my "cheeky" opening bid was accepted, no quibbles!;)

Edited by GWF1967

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Too true, 

I was in Bristol last weekend and my lad took me to a shop he thought I might like.  I asked the manager if he had any Great War items; he was doubtful, then surprised when I found four cap badges, a pair of German trench art shell casings, a single French trench art casing, a trenched British 18lb casing, a Turkish button, a German combatants honour cross, and a square edged No.2 Autographic Brownie camera, made 1915-17.

It only got better when my "cheeky" opening bid was accepted, no quibbles!;)

That sounds like a very lucky haul....nowt in this area, haven't seen a decent bit of brass for sale in ages, I think they've all been sold for scrap!!, even my book dealer has run dry on the period stuff.

Ill have to wait until the May flea market, usually Find quite a bit there...unless it snows like the last couple!

Dave.

• 2 months later...

A couple of new offerings.

Scan_20180627 (10).jpg

Scan_20180627 (9).jpg

Sent to L/Cpl Walter Ryland SS/21685, A.S.C.

Scan_20180608 (2).jpg

9 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

I especially like the one with the shells!

GreyC

Indeed. Humorous and unusual. 

Dan

Like them g.w.f., and nice to see this thread getting a re-boot.

Dave.

Found this one whilst looking through some of my photos taken in the 1980s and 90s on the Western Front.....it was sent home by my Grandad...Fred Gillett ..who joined the RAF on 7 th May 1918 as a tin smith......interestingly on the 1939 register he was listed as sheet metal worker....senior aircraft inspector !9C490806-500F-4A0B-ABE6-32353327EEAD.jpeg.daa2abd22148752fddb8a2ed3a5506f9.jpeg

A postcard sent from my grandma to grandad (before they were married) , in the message she has written 'Little cousin in the picture'

I haven't yet worked out exactly who little cousin was. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

Found this one whilst looking through some of my photos taken in the 1980s and 90s on the Western Front.....it was sent home by my Grandad...Fred Gillett ..who joined the RAF on 7 th May 1918 as a tin smith......interestingly on the 1939 register he was listed as sheet metal worker....senior aircraft inspector !9C490806-500F-4A0B-ABE6-32353327EEAD.jpeg.daa2abd22148752fddb8a2ed3a5506f9.jpeg

Very nice, and great story attached.

Dave.

4 hours ago, Margosh said:

A postcard sent from my grandma to grandad (before they were married) , in the message she has written 'Little cousin in the picture'

I haven't yet worked out exactly who little cousin was. 

image.jpeg

Nice card, I like the Trike!

Partial postmark. 1918 HANTS  

"To,

Mr H Humphreys  2 Swiss Villa  Tremont Rd  Llandrindod Wells  Radnorshire.

Gunner  G Mason;

Dear Pal,

Just a line to let you know I am al-right & in the best of health as it leaves me at present  Well Old Pal I am a gunner in the RFA now for I have been transferr out of the ASC   well Kid I hope to be home again soon & then have a treck to Builth again   Well old Pal I have not a lot to say now but remember me to Father & Mother   From  G Mason"

Scan_20180627 (3).jpg

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Partial postmark. 1918 HANTS  

"To,

Mr H Humphreys  2 Swiss Villa  Tremont Rd  Llandrindod Wells  Radnorshire.

Gunner  G Mason;

Dear Pal,

Just a line to let you know I am al-right & in the best of health as it leaves me at present  Well Old Pal I am a gunner in the RFA now for I have been transferr out of the ASC   well Kid I hope to be home again soon & then have a treck to Builth again   Well old Pal I have not a lot to say now but remember me to Father & Mother   From  G Mason"

Scan_20180627 (3).jpg

Nice card and note GWF. Do you know whether G Mason made it back safely? 

Cheers, Dan

A couple more:

Bulldog tank.jpg

The official tank.jpg

Cheers all

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

10 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

A couple more:

Bulldog tank.jpg

The official tank.jpg

Cheers all