Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards and posters

Bean tool

19 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Here's another, this time from series 2.

As I'm now a full time gardener, the allotment is a little sad.

only keep it for the asparagus, blackcurrants and Bramley apples....oh, and the shed, can't do without the shed!

post a couple more tomorrow,

Dave.

Would help if I attached the image....

image.jpeg

Nice Dave. I do like this style.

Do you work at a garden or are you self employed? I was head gardener at a private house and a few hotels. I do miss it very much in the spring and summer.

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

56 minutes ago, Keith Brannen said:

Dave66, I have the exact same postcard that was sent to my maternal grandfather here in Canada by a friend in England!

Below is another card sent by the same friend.

1916Postcard.png

Nice card

Dan

15 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

9DCCFE1A-5E22-4E99-BA0A-F816F20BB1B2.jpeg

Is the chap holding his belt or a pistol?!

Dan

4 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Belt I,d guess.....perhaps it was a call of nature!

Ha! He's definetly got the posture right! 

10 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Nice Dave. I do like this style.

Do you work at a garden or are you self employed? I was head gardener at a private house and a few hotels. I do miss it very much in the spring and summer.

Dan

Dan,

Another one below...fancy shelling a mans rum!!

Self employed, for a small number of carefully chosen customers.

In the sunshine it can be hectic and extremely rewarding (not so much in the financials sense),but when that horrible weather starts I stay at home and hibernate...and sort through years of ephemera collecting.

It would drive me mad working in an office, 

Dave,

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dave66 said:

Dan,

Another one below...fancy shelling a mans rum!!

Self employed, for a small number of carefully chosen customers.

In the sunshine it can be hectic and extremely rewarding (not so much in the financials sense),but when that horrible weather starts I stay at home and hibernate...and sort through years of ephemera collecting.

It would drive me mad working in an office, 

Dave,

image.jpeg

This card is the best out of the six so far. You'd be livid!

I know exactly what you mean about the winter months. Is hard going. I tried to save my planning, any woodworking, tool servicing etc for then. I had to give it up for financial reasons. The pay is atrocious yet you need to be extremely knowledgeable. Normally the more you know the more you get paid, not in horticulture. You'll be back mowing any day now, especially with this bit of sun. 

Dan

25 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

This card is the best out of the six so far. You'd be livid!

I know exactly what you mean about the winter months. Is hard going. I tried to save my planning, any woodworking, tool servicing etc for then. I had to give it up for financial reasons. The pay is atrocious yet you need to be extremely knowledgeable. Normally the more you know the more you get paid, not in horticulture. You'll be back mowing any day now, especially with this bit of sun. 

Dan

I'll try and get another one posted tomorrow, I have a very unusual ole bill enamelled plaque I'll sort out as well.

Im getting too old for hard going or pneumonia now, as long as I measure wealth not just in a financial sense, and there's a little extra to spend...I'm far better of than many.

Dave

32 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

I'll try and get another one posted tomorrow, I have a very unusual ole bill enamelled plaque I'll sort out as well.

Im getting too old for hard going or pneumonia now, as long as I measure wealth not just in a financial sense, and there's a little extra to spend...I'm far better of than many.

Dave

Cool Dave, I look forward to seeing it. 

That's a good way of looking at things Dave. I guess thats what brings true happiness. Chasing money is stressful! I would love to spend my time woodworking and growing but the mortgage company would have something to say about it. And the missus! 

I'll see if I can get on my computer shortly, bought a couple more cards. Ones a cracker 

Dan

12 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

A couple more:

Humpty dumpty.jpg

Long boat.jpg

The top ones great, like it a lot, and the silk has retained its colours very well.

Dave.

Picked them both up online. Paid a little over the odds for the top one but I think it's worth it. 

Dan

3 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

9DCCFE1A-5E22-4E99-BA0A-F816F20BB1B2.jpeg

Huge amount of devastation, great image.

21 minutes ago, Bean tool said:

Picked them both up online. Paid a little over the odds for the top one but I think it's worth it. 

Dan

I can see why you paid a little extra for the humpty dumpty one, great condition for its age.

anything on the back?

Edited by Dave66

20 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I can see why you paid a little extra for the humpty dumpty one, great condition for its age.

anything on the back?

Afternoon Dave, I'm not at home so when I've got five I'll take a look. 

Dan

"From your Loving Mother with best of good luck" -  sent to "No. 30583 Pte. William Brown. 26th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers. a Com. M.G.S.  G.P.O.  B.E.F.   France"

Scan_20180310 (5).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

"From your Loving Mother with best of good luck" -  sent to "No. 30583 Pte. William Brown. 26th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers. a Com. M.G.S.  G.P.O.  B.E.F.   France"

Scan_20180310 (5).jpg

A nice trio there GWF,

lets hope William Brown and his family were reunited.

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

A nice trio there GWF,

lets hope William Brown and his family were reunited.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

He survived the war. He enlisted on 10/12/1915 to the D.L.I, the same Reg. as his pal, and was discharged due to sickness 2/1/1918. Here's a New Year card he received. from "Harvey".

Scan_20170827 (6).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Dave,

He survived the war. He enlisted on 10/12/1915 to the D.L.I, the same Reg. as his pal, and was discharged due to sickness 2/1/1918. Here's a New Year card he received. from "Harvey".

Scan_20170827 (6).jpg

Good to hear that he survived, and a nice unusual new years card.

Im presuming you brought a small album of his ephemera.

Dave.

Here is a Xmas 1914 card from his pal  William Nicholson, Pte. 12443. 10th Service Battalion D.L.I.Whitley Hutments, Surrey.   " To Mr and Mrs. G. Brown + Will + Mary.

Both were from Easington Colliery Co.Durham.

The second card is from 1917;  10th Battn. Durham Light Infantry "The Shinies"  Ypres 1915. Somme 1916.Arras 1917. Ypres 1917 .  "From William Nicholson".

Scan_20170827 (5).jpg

Scan_20170827 (7).jpg

18 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Good to hear that he survived, and a nice unusual new years card.

Im presuming you brought a small album of his ephemera.

Dave.

Sorry Dave, I missed your post. 

As you can see the items are a mix of Nicholson and Brown, from Easington, Co.Durham. Here is William Brown left and Nicholson right;  William Brown is rear left in the third card, "Brown Family Wedding, Easington".

William Brown, Co.Dhm. .jpg

Wm. Nicholson. 10th DLI. Co.Dhm..jpg

Scan_20170827 (4).jpg

Edited by GWF1967